Katana67

Weapons - Where Should They Go Next?

Personally, I think once the AKS-74U is in... and we've got an RPK of some sort, I think they should give the AKs a rest for a good long while (to say nothing of AK attachments/optics). So, where do they go from there?

Obviously this discussion is going to be a bit academic, as the developers have stated that they have a fixed weapon list for a 1.0 release. But, in the absence of our knowledge of that list, let's look at what we know/have heard so far.

1. The MP-133 is inbound, as is the Rossi R92

2. They're working on the AKS-74U and 5.45x39 (/confetti)

3. The SVD is being held back due to a desire to put it in the centralized loot economy

4. The M1 Garand is rumored to be included eventually

5. There was a brief mention of the PKM, albeit as a vehicle-mounted weapon and not explicitly as a man-portable weapon

6. Developer interest has been shown for a mid-length AR-15 and a FN FAL

OPINION - I'd like to see some time dedicated to "European" military arms that aren't distinctly "American" but aren't distinctly "Soviet" either. Such as the FN FAL, FN MAG, HK G36, HK G3, Steyr AUG, and/or L85A2. Likewise, I'd love to see a rifle-cartridge hunting rifle or a dedicated bolt-action sniper rifle.

Obviously, the previous patterns of weapon inclusion have been a bit eclectic (i.e. not having been chained down to a particular region). So perhaps my desire for "European" weapons is presumptuous. But I think we're good for now on two things - pistols and AKs.

Where do you think they should go next?

Please keep it civil and non-vitriolic, I'm genuinely interested in where you think they should go next, not where you think they shouldn't go.

UPDATE - Steyr AUG announced in Devblog for week of 15 September.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

Of all those... only the M1 Garand, such a special weapon... but how the hell that weapon ended up in Russia ? :huh:

• Like 2

They were used in Korea, Vietnam, Cambodia, all communist warzones at the time. Could be some made their way north to Mother Russia.

• Like 1

russian revolver Nagant 1895..? ;)

(the only "real" suppressable revolver, because when shooting the drum is pressed against the barrel, so all the gas&air go through the barrel and not also around the ammo-drum itself)

Edited by irishroy
  • Like 3

Also the Dragunov is a nice classic... but i am a bit worry about balance, maybe a bit to OP for DayZ.

Of all those... only the M1 Garand, such a special weapon... but how the hell that weapon ended up in Russia ? :huh:

Guess thats the advantage of having no back story they can  put in anything they want. You ask how did the m1 grarand get to (its not russia its cherno a fictional ex soviet country) i counter how did a NZ special forces berret get there?? Because the devs wanted it so its there lol ..

As for the weapons yeah id be happy to see some western european weapons in game hk's steyr's, any they want to put in id be happy to see as long as at the end of the day when they are balancing the loot tables everything is in moderation ( i just  dont want to see dayz as a well stocked gun store)

Edited by SoulFirez
  • Like 2

G3/36,

TAR21+/- variant

Uzi9mm

USAS12

MG42. because i like tearing paper ok.

I'd really like to see the m21 but can't really justify it, so maybe the drag, SVU/D or vintorez :3.

And a fucking derringer.  Because every now and then you just gotta.

Taser or beanshot would be cool too for the survivor crowd.  Tazer preferably with prod/shot capability.  Added bonus of doing SFA against zombies and armor (press vest etc) but would still wreck the shit out of your things (bag gun at least).

Edited by q.S Sachiel

They should just add in most of the weaponry already present on the DayZ mod. Yes, the DMR should be back. Just make all these weapons extremely rare, part of that centralised loot economy.

Add in the M24/M40, the M14, the FN FAL, G36, L85. Regarding LMGs -> PKP, RPD/RPK, m249, M240.

Cry about OP weapons pls.

They should just add in most of the weaponry already present on the DayZ mod. Yes, the DMR should be back. Just make all these weapons extremely rare, part of that centralised loot economy.

Add in the M24/M40, the M14, the FN FAL, G36, L85. Regarding LMGs -> PKP, RPD/RPK, m249, M240.

Cry about OP weapons pls.

If they wanted to do that, they will done that already. Obviously in the Standalone they want to create a different experience.

• Like 1

Also the Dragunov is a nice classic... but i am a bit worry about balance, maybe a bit to OP for DayZ.

Hicks already stated they plan on releasing more guns in general. I imagine more of those sniper types and maybe even some American brands will eventually make it in. Its possible we might even see some .50 round tech as long as the ammo is rarer than the gun itself. He said nothing about .50 cal making it into the game. But if we do EVENTUALLY get to the M107 you really can't opt out with a different caliber that would just be silly.

Ill just be happy really with some guns similar to the sig 556 brands as well as more varied AR and bullpup types. We already have an UBBER extensive pistol lineup.

I would like that Kar98K they've showed, but if that was the only weapon using such ammo (7.92×57mm Mauser), then I'm not sure it would help game.

I might have been influenced by devs, but I started to dislike adding of weapon with specific caliber, that only this single weapon would use.

And I think European weapons would be a good choice of what to add.

Certainly G36 or Steyr AUG with it's special built in optics would be cool, although some folks might argue they want every optics to be added as attachment and weapon spawn without it. 

Also maybe Bren 805 could be nice, or CZ 750 sniper rifle although that one would probably need to be restricted by global loot, same as SVD.

I'd like full length M16 that could be pimped out to spr version with optics.

And lastly, I still long for Sa vz.58 O_o.

So yes, mostly European weapons, but I'm positive we will see lot more of US stuff as well.

I wonder, what will be the most powerfull caliber in game. Will it be just 7.62x51 / 7.62x54R or will they go up to 30-06, .300 Winchester or even higher to maybe .50 cals?

Edited by Hombre
  • Like 1

I would like that Kar98K they've showed, but if that was the only weapon using such ammo (7.92×57mm Mauser), then I'm not sure it would help game.

I might have been influenced by devs, but I started to dislike adding of weapon with specific caliber, that only this single weapon would use.

Certainly G36 or Steyr AUG with it's special built in optics would be cool, although some folks might argue they want every optics to be added as attachment and weapon spawn without it. 

Also maybe Bren 805 could be nice, or CZ 750 sniper rifle although that one would probably need to be restricted by global loot, same as SVD.

I'd like full length M16 that could be pimped out to SPQ version with optics.

So yes, mostly European weapons, but I'm positive we will see lot more of US stuff as well.

I wonder, what will be the most powerfull caliber in game. Will it be just 7.62x51 / 7.62x54R or will they go up to 30-06, .300 Winchester or even higher to maybe .50 cals?

I think the .338 Lapua Magnum is the highest deadly round you can get to without going the .50 caliber rounds.

No problemo, I just quote Chris t. here:

...[adding a LRS for the Blaze and other rifles] has the end result of making it easier for there to be more leet snip0rs killing other players at long range - something we're not interested in encouraging at the moment.  

Edited by irishroy
  • Like 2

shouldn't mauser be able to take 7.62x51?

hmmm blaze double l33t snipers...

better take the LRS off my mosin 5 round bolt action ;)

They've got to include at least one semi-sniper, if not DMS then maybe something with kick like an M14/dmr.  That said, the AK is just as versatile as the mosin for the most part over 400-500m if not more.  Just gotta play the numbers and hope for a smattering on target.

Edited by q.S Sachiel

This seems to be more oriented toward so-called "low-end" rifles being able to mount so-called "high-end" optics, which is something I agree with. But I don't think it was an indictment of sniping in general on Chris' part. I just think it was an indictment of the inconsequential nature of sniping in the mod, as prompted by the relatively common sight of sniper rifles (optics included) overall.

I'd like full length M16 that could be pimped out to spr version with optics.

I actually have kind of fallen in love with the CZ 805 over the past few weeks. Didn't really ever pay it any mind, but it's pretty dern cool.

And yeah, I would argue that the AUG and G36 shouldn't be included with integrated optics. But, I could really go either way when it comes down to it. There's a benefit (one which would have to be accounted for with significantly increased rarity) in having an optic that's integrated. I prefer the puzzle of having to piece together your weapon, but, I could get behind integrated optics if it were approached correctly with specific weapons like the AUG and G36.

They were used in Korea, Vietnam, Cambodia, all communist warzones at the time. Could be some made their way north to Mother Russia.

Not for nothing, but Chernarus =/= Russia.

But Chernarus = a former Soviet nation. A fictional place with a historical background.

I say let the small arms take a back seat.

Focus on Explosives, bobby traps and incorporating the grenade launchers.

As for firearms everything seems to be covered mostly.

Only things perhaps missing are a semi auto shotgun a perfect place for a waterfowl shotgun with a small magazine capacity to fit in.

There is no dedicated sniper rifle yet but I would think a civilian sniper rifle would fit right in this role something a remington 700 would be perfect at.

A LMG is missing but that will surely eventually come.

The other thing that they can do is further flesh out the low end of the spectrum of weapons.

.22lr could use some love with a .22lr revolver, a tubular pump action rifle and a bolt action .22lr

I think the .338 Lapua Magnum is the highest deadly round you can get to without going the .50 caliber rounds.

Hmm ok. Just wonder what will be the ultimate caliber, what weapon will it use and how rare it will be.

I actually have kind of fallen in love with the CZ 805 over the past few weeks. Didn't really ever pay it any mind, but it's pretty dern cool.

And yeah, I would argue that the AUG and G36 shouldn't be included with integrated optics. But, I could really go either way when it comes down to it. There's a benefit (one which would have to be accounted for with significantly increased rarity) in having an optic that's integrated. I prefer the puzzle of having to piece together your weapon, but, I could get behind integrated optics if it were approached correctly with specific weapons like the AUG and G36.

Glad you like some of our Czech weapons! I always feel tad silly for suggesting them since I'm obviously biased in that regard.

But still I think it is sexy beast. It's also modular system meaning they can swap some parts and make it either 5.56x45 or 7.62x39 and it would be very interesting, if some kind of modification kit was ingame allowing for caliber change of certain weapons, that allow that in real life. But those are just my fantasie, not saying it needs to be ingame or it's bust.

Regarding AUG and G36 built in optics, I think they are significantly worse than say Acog or such, so maybe that could make it somehow "ballanced".

So you get weapon already with optic, but that one is far from being the best one. But again, I'm fine with both having them or having models without it but with rails instead.

And yes, I would dislike built in optics for weapons that do not normally do that. I mean even SVD Dragunov can be found without optics attached and personaly I would be very interested in trying such rifle with iron sights.

Ixi3JoB.jpg

Edited by Hombre
  • Like 1

But Chernarus = a former Soviet nation. A fictional place with a historical background.

I absolutely agree. However, and I don't really wish to sideline the thread with this argument, the outcomes of post-Soviet nations have proven to be vastly different from one another. So it's not like we can apply one particular set of circumstances to say "The M1 Garand shouldn't be here."

The Garand was scattered to the wind after WWII. They were exported all over the place. Tens of thousands were sent to Europe. And many former-Soviet nations have used, stockpile, or still use, its spiritual successor, the M14.

• Like 1

I think they should focus more on making improvised weapons.  There's probably NOTHING more satisfying than killing someone with the bow.

At the same time though, I would like to see some really iconic, stereotypical zombie apocalypse weapons...  Thankfully, most that I can think of are already implemented.

• Like 3

I think they should focus more on making improvised weapons.  There's probably NOTHING more satisfying than killing someone with the bow.

I think weapons like the bow/crossbow will play a bigger role when they revamp zombie aggro and zombie numbers.

I don't necessarily want folks running around with bows and hatchets all day long, I think firearms should be the mainstay.

But what I do want is for bows/melee weapons to have a specific use. Mainly manifested in their stealth. I would totally carry a bow over my shoulder (along with a rifle) if I could whip that bow out and grease a zombie/player quietly, if I needed to because the zombies around would totally jump me.

Bows/melee weapons should be the proverbial "poor man's suppressor."

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 4

Except the chainsaw, lawnmower and Tesla Ball :D

Except the chainsaw, lawnmower and Tesla Ball :D

The chainsaw was in the trailer. I imagine its still in the works.