Concord (DayZ)

Z's all over me!

1) A first generation zombie when killed by any means will almost always spawn a second generation Zombie. But that doesn't mean the re-spawn can see you or you can see it. The diagram at the bottom shows where a re-spawn might be placed by the system. The circle has a diameter of 200m. The blue area is where the re-spawn might appear after you have killed its parent. It generally wont re-spawn in the direction you are looking. If there is an obstruction to its line of sight between you and it it will not aggro on you. How you killed the parent zombie has ZERO effect on whether the zombie will generate a re-spawn or not. Using an axe on a Zed will not activate another Zed and send him running to you as a gun will from 100yards distant but the range at which a Zed can hear an axe strike on one of its buddies is unknown to me (but I am sure it is far less than 100yards.)  The bottom line is that if you kill three Zeds with your axe Zero to Three more will re-spawn and the ones that can see you will aggro on you.      

Zed-Re-Spawn_zpsa4344c6e.jpg

2) The ax is far superior to staying off their zradar.

Not actually true in all cases because Zeds that are less than or equal to 100 yards distant from you that have line of sight on you will be coming your way even if you are using an axe.  I have seen it too many times when I am chopping down a Zed and another one arrives to help his pal and then another..and that is before any could re-spawn. Somehow the Zeds detect a fight and head to it with or without gunfire . WOBO says you have a 5 second window to kill the zed facing you, if you fail the 5 second test then other 1st or 2nd generation Zeds will be heading your way with or without Line of sight. 

This not to discount your experience perhaps you almost always pass the 5 second test and your use of an axe does not attract more distant Zeds and that could be seen as a form of stealth,  As for me I want to get rid of them as fast as possible so I use the .45 and go about my business and get what I came for expect to see them on any floor of a building and then leave as fast as possible. I know (believe) that when you are in a building zeds can hear every move you make even if they are outside.

Happy Zed Hunting Tootights...Beans? :beans:    

Your theories are great, but I know what works for me, which I've taken the time to share with you. Take it or leave it.

The only issue I have with zombies atm is getting hit up to a solid 2 seconds after they crumble to the ground dead.  And what sounds like 2-3 hits when it happens, 50ish ping max, no desynch, it happens almost every other zombie I kill.  And that I'm actually wearing out axes killing them, which, just....ya.

• Like 1

hit the zombies with an axe, dont shoot them becuse the zombies will be aggro as fuck if you shoot, shoot only when necesary :P (bad english i know) :(

The respawn mechanic blows, I hope they change it soon.  It's like the most basic, stupid, way to implement it.

Using a gun on Z's I usually end up dead, really damaged or running for my life. I find the fire axe to be the best silent killer. Circle the zombie, then stop for a second then start your circle again. Most of the time the zombie will strike, then you can smack them in the back of the head.

Your theories are great, but I know what works for me, which I've taken the time to share with you. Take it or leave it.

Don't get me wrong Tootights, I'm not trying to prove you wrong, convince you to put down the ax, and I am also not taking your experience and observations lightly, I use my fire ax all the time especially when I encounter singles and sometimes doubles. My only goal is to get rid of the nasty little pricks as fast as possible and understand how, why and where they re-spawn and what their capabilities are. These are not my theories, actually I don't have a General Theory of Zombie Killing. These are just the compiled observations of myself and a number of other players to include WOBO. If getting rid of zeds exclusively with the ax works for you..stick with it bro :thumbsup:  

This is enjoyable when it works. To get rid of zombies in a small town I often run in try to attract a crew of Zeds and haul ass out of town when I see that they are chasing me. Once I have them several hundred yards away from town and they no longer have an unobstructed view of town I blast them and then take a concealed rout back into town. The second generation Zeds that will spawn will do so far from town and then I can hunt for the supplies I need without the presence of the re-spawns.   

All I know is I like this part of Dawn Of The Dead 1978  from 1hr 10min 20 sec  to 1hr 10min 38 sec. 

• Like 1

The only issue I have with zombies atm is getting hit up to a solid 2 seconds after they crumble to the ground dead.  And what sounds like 2-3 hits when it happens, 50ish ping max, no desynch, it happens almost every other zombie I kill.  And that I'm actually wearing out axes killing them, which, just....ya.

That is a real bitch and I hate it too. I had one pop me like that in Polana not two hours ago...pissed me off! I shot the prick and it went down 30 meters from me and then more than a second later I got hit 'thump! thump! thump!! I didn't bleed but my worn Gorka jacket got ruined, my compass damaged a bit and the [healthy] indicator went out. Luckily I found a riders jacket almost immediately. I am thinking a low frame rate might have something to do with it. But I don't know, its a mystery to me!  

I have tried to side step after putting a shot into a charging Zed and this seems to work in some cases but I am unsure if it is really a remedy or just a placebo. One thing I do know is that all attacks from fists to guns are really handled as a projectile attacks by the system. Perhaps there is a glitch that gives zombie maul and leaping attacks more range than they should have???? Again I don't know but it sure feels like its happening more often these days. 

Decided to run for the hills.

Was chased by a couple of Z's, and one military Z followed me way out of the military base.

Turned an tapped the trigger, and 2 bullets brought him down. Geez I like the ammo capacity on the AKM drum mag.

Took Xbow's advice and headed north. Not a single 2-legged seen.

What great looking graphics this game has - love the terrain.

Drank from my water bottle (knocking myself prone in the process (again - not the first time I've experienced this glitch), and refilled with rain water.

Eventually I came to a plains area, with a strange looking ground cover...realised I'd reached the northern map edge!

Not sure if I'll be lucky enough to find a scope before the wipe, but it's been fun looking for it.

This thread has really increased my knowledge of the game, and the behavior of the infected freaks.

Appreciate the help - great community here. Game on!

The only issue I have with zombies atm is getting hit up to a solid 2 seconds after they crumble to the ground dead. And what sounds like 2-3 hits when it happens, 50ish ping max, no desynch, it happens almost every other zombie I kill. And that I'm actually wearing out axes killing them, which, just....ya.

I hate this too. Lets pray that when the engine is rebuilt they will not allow such sloppy game design.

First day trying the 0.49 update.

First thing I notice is my character has been wiped. I knew it was probably coming, but...sigh. ;-)

My character was the most geared up I've ever had. But never did find a damned PS01 scope!

I'm on the east coast somewhere, a large city.

Within minutes I have an entourage of Z's on my arse. I high-tail it into a fire station, shut the door behind me, and climb all 3 flights of stairs.

But no go. Before I can start searching for equipment, a congo line of Z's are coming up the stairs at me.

I get trapped up there with the stairwell blocked and no weapons, and goodnight.

I respawn in the same area.

This time I get some basic gear.

I come across another player who's geared in the firestation, but the encounter is friendly (despite his scary clown mask) and we go our own ways.

A few minutes later I hear a voice, someone calling for help. The guy sounds like he's young, maybe quite a bit too young to be playing this game.

He's being chased by a pack of about 8 Z's!! Never seen anything like it.

He's obviously got no gear and is calling for help. I try to wade into the fray, but my crowbar isn't up to the task, and soon I'm in trouble as well.

We run in different directions, flapping like chickens trying to fly the fox.

As I'm running through the city, I pass a player on the second floor roof of a school. I call out to him "hey hi buddy", as I pass by, crowbar in hand, pack of Z's snapping at my heels.

He sees me - he shoots me! What a bugger. I don't go down however. I dodge and weave with him still taking shots.

As soon as I turn a corner, I'm out of sight of the shooter and the Z's, and duck into a doorway and shut it behind me.

I climb the stairs double-quick, and bandage myself in the nick of time.

Seconds later, I hear him shooting again. Then closer. I peer cautiously out of the top floor window.

I get a perfect view of my sniper fellow - running along the street. He stops, turns, fires some shots behind him.

He turns and runs again. Moments later a horde of Z's goes motoring by, hot on his trail. Justice. The twit!

I wait for a minute, search the room, and then I'm out the back door and headed for the hills.

I think they changed the amount of Z's in cities making it more difficult to wander on your own, this is fine for me, yet the Z's are as glichy as before, it seems it's even worse now. I sneaked behind one, hit it in the head with a shovel it felt on the ground unconscious, then I kept bashing it but hitting nothing but thin air, it woke up, I hit it about a dozen times targetting his head and yet nothing and I died.

Moreover, it seems like they're able to detect us through walls from a very long distance and spawn from nowhere right behind you. I was in Novo, I watched from a distance a house I wanted to loot for about 3 minutes from different angles and spotted no Z's in the vicinity, I enter the house, find nothing valuable and go out the same way heading for the forest and that Z comes from nowhere behind that wall I checked just before I started to run for cover.

With 0.49 loot seems way more scarce than before, I'm having hard times finding a melee weapon, I found that splinter axe that was damaged, chopped some firewood and after a couple of trees the axe got ruined. Of course a splinter axe as we all know is not meant to chop wood.

Good loot spots are gone too, there was that place north of Novo where I could always find some good gear, especially around the trucks, but now there's no more loot around these trucks and the buildings barely have anything of use.

It seems like those new towns north are not yet implemented but Novo and those free from Z cities now belong to the deads too.

We'll have to adapt, avoid cities if on our own and make sure we always have rags or bandages as Z encounters outcome seem more random than ever before.

Right now I'm heading west for the NWAF looking for better gear but I need something more efficient that a stun baton before I risk everything. Damn I love this game, now that it's tougher than before.

• Like 2

leviski, on 02 Sept 2014 - 9:05 PM, said:

The new Z spawning thing, works like this

Zombie dies

Zombie slides 10-15Ft away

Zombie Re-spawns

Zombie Re-aggros

rinse and repeat, it is very stupid they work like this atm.

No, no, no, no, no!

<Insert insulting rant about this is Alpha>

The zombie does not respawn at all, this is just the lame work-around the developers have to simulate the zombie hordes that are wandering around.

Unfortunately I have seen little to nothing that suggests the developers are ever going to get to a point where they have optimized the code well enough to actually handle hordes of zombies. Zombie hordes as they should be would be the as many if not more than all of the zombies on an entire server at one time.

I spawned on three occasions last night, I died 3 times from zombie attacks. They seem quicker, or maybe its that the run speed has been slowed down...?

Watch out for Z's spawning in unlikely places too.

I had some come at me (bro!) next to one of those radio towers with the little shack. Never had that before.

I had my previous character before the wipe for a long time.

Now that I've been forced to resawn again (several times), and being more experienced (Steam says 102 hours now!), I've got a different view of gear.

My one essential bit of equipment is the fire axe. With that, and some rags, I'm good to go. All the rest is bonus. :-)

Edit: another Z point: I was taking a brief break from my work to play a spot of Dayz (I work for myself).

I heard an email notification, and thinking I was fairly safe, alt-tabbed out. I quickly forwarded it - took about 10 seconds all up.

When I tabbed back in, my character was being attacked by a zombie. Killed it and bandaged.

Thing is, while a coastal town was visible in the distance, I was deep in the woods, high up on a hill.

In earlier versions of the game I travelled many hours in just such locations without seeing a player or a Z for days.

Edited by Concord

There seems to be a consensus as to how zombies act...However, I've yet to experience ANY of those things.  I've never been chased by more than 4 or 5 zombies at once and when they died, they died.  I kill them, then go on about my business in peace.  As for hearing you axe one, I've sprinted past a zombie 5 feet behind it and it didn't hear me on MANY occasions, though maybe that's just a glitch.  As for the respawn aggro, as I mentioned, I've never seen a zed respawn..I kill them and they don't come back.  The only time zombies appear to act as everyone claims, is when you shoot.  It seems to attract any and all zombies in the area, but you kill them with an axe so you don't draw in any extras and they don't come back.  I've yet to try .49, but as of yet I haven't seen any validtity to anything anyone here has said regarding zombies...yet I have no clue as to why that is..