Concord (DayZ)

Z's all over me!

Hiya.

Been having troubles with zombies lately, and want a little advice.

The way they spawn seemingly endlessly, and all their glitches, are making it hard for me to play the game.

The situation I'm in has happened a few times lately in different places.

I made it to the military base in the far SW (in my endless, fruitless quest to find a damn PSO1 scope!).

A zombie saw me, as I ducked into a barracks. Shot it, and another, and another as they appeared at the door.

Finally I shut the door, to conserve my hard-won ammo, and started to loot.

I could hear lots of Z sounds outside.

Then, a Z appears INSIDE (despite the exterior door being shut). Shot it. Then another. And another.

Each one I have to take down with a decent burst from my AKM, because they glitch, and I can't tell when they're eliminated.

All I can think of to do is to just give up on the looting and run run run, because they will just keep spawning and coming through the walls.

Any insights?

Cheers. ;)

Op has the right idea:

RUN to THE HILLS !!!

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel
  • Like 1

The new Z spawning thing, works like this

Zombie dies

Zombie slides 10-15Ft away

Zombie Re-spawns

Zombie Re-aggros

rinse and repeat, it is very stupid they work like this atm.

Yes use any melee weapon and it seems to not attract so many. I've been having good success with both axes and believe it or not the hoe is pretty accurate. (There's a joke in there somewhere?)

Hey thanks for the advice folks.

Suppose there's some validity to all the posts griping about fixing the zombies being the first priority for the alpha eh?

I guess it doesn't matter for now...all my ammo, my epic quest for a scope, will be irrelevent with the wipe coming.

@CANUCKinNZ: Daaaamn girl, dat hoe accurate! :D

@leviski: thanks for explaining the mechanics of it.

Apparently they go through closed doors too? I thought they fixed that. Oh well.

Edited by Concord

If you use a gun, they respawn right next to you, if you use melee weapon they dont respawn.

Really? I'm pretty sure I've seen melee killed zombie respawn but it could've been a few patches ago.

yes noise affects the zombies so use a melee gun( no idea of the crossbow ) and if you use ingamevoicechat it will draw attention I think

At first I thought it would be better if you could clear a city of zombies and be done with it for quite some time. However this would probably end up in two ways:

1. there are a few lonely zombies easily killed (no challenge, easymode)
  2. there are tons of zombies stalking the city (impacts performance)

Now I would like to have the second one but without heavy performance loss we might get not there any time soon. But I also think you should be able to clear an area of zombies. So instead I propose a hybrid:

Ending streams of zombies:

There are quite some zombies in the city but not too many. Each city/area also got a value that represents the number of allowed zombie respawns. If a zombie is killed and there are respawns available he/she is spawned outside a certain area around players, preferably out of sight and non-aggro'ed. And one respawn ticket is removed upon death. Of course if the tickets reach zero or negative values no zombies will respawn but death will still remove another one. Respawn tickets slowly regenerate when the player count inside the city/area is below a certain threshold.

Now the maximum zombie count should be limited by the server instead of each city/area separately. So a zombie who died in one city and did not get a ticket here may respawn in another city if there is a ticket and the maximum number of spawned zombies in this area (which should be fairly large - in total much higher than the server limit) is not reached. This way zombie population is higher in untouched areas and lower in areas with a high survivor count (which should mirror loot respawns). Conversely if a city just reached a positive number of tickets it might still not spawn zombies yet as they could be alive and well elsewhere.

Finally something that should matter later: Zombies should never spawn inside barricaded areas but they should be able to spawn inside houses.

TL:DR: Zombie respawn should work via a ticket-system in each area, number limited serverside and respawns should happen at some distance to players.

Edited by Evil Minion
  • Like 2

Some time ago I even opened a bugreport for this: http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=15499 .  Vote it up if you agree that this game mechanic should be changed.

Voted it up to change, good work Robert.

Evil Minion, your idea sounds like a good balance. But how much would it impact performance to have it otherwise? There's other games that have 'crowds'. Is it because of the map size?

Hiya.

The way they spawn seemingly endlessly, and all their glitches, are making it hard for me to play the game.

I made it to the military base in the far SW (in my endless, fruitless quest to find a damn PSO1 scope!).

A zombie saw me, as I ducked into a barracks. Shot it, and another, and another as they appeared at the door.

Then, a Z appears INSIDE (despite the exterior door being shut). Shot it. Then another. And another.

Each one I have to take down with a decent burst from my AKM, because they glitch, and I can't tell when they're eliminated.

All I can think of to do is to just give up on the looting and run run run, because they will just keep spawning and coming through the walls.

Any insights?

Cheers. ;)

For zombies It doesn't really matter if you use an axe or a gun (a gun alerts other players out to 1000 yards but 1st generation zombies can hear any gunshot (Including the amphibian) out to 100yards. The zombies you kill will re-spawn very quickly no matter what weapon was used to slay them and they will be locked in on you. 1st generation Zeds can see out to 200 yards but re-spawned Zeds will have enhanced vision out to 600 yards and are stone deaf.. 2nd gen Zeds are persistent in their pursuit of you as long as they have a direct line of sight on you.

If you get jumped by a pack, and I know you have heard this before RUN LIKE HELL towards cover. If you need to shoot some wait until just before you dive into a tree line make the kills quick and then haul ass on a path that puts visual obstructions between you and the location of the Zeds you just waxed. But most of all keep moving. If you see cows run towards them as often Zeds will break off their pursuit of you to slaughter cattle (its hilarious).

Rapidly spawning Zeds is not a glitch or a bug it is a way to simulate larger numbers of Zeds without slowing down the system to a crawl. Zeds generally re-spawn outside your perception to the left right and rear and within a 100yard radius of the place their parent Zeds bit the dust.

I did a test not long ago and got a pack of 1st generation Zeds and their 2nd and 3rd generation re-spawns to chase me over 3000 meters.  

What I call glitch hitting (hitting from what appears to be a distance that is beyond melee range)  is caused by lag. When you encounter a zed that is to close for comfort but you would think is too far away to hit you  shoot quickly and then move instantly to the side and keep moving you will generally not get hit...it serves the same purpose as circling a Zed when using a melee weapon on it. It also helps to shoot while you are circling.      

Note: For a PSO1 scope you can quite often find one in the row of storage lockers in the vicinity of map location 049- 024 150 yards south of a tall water ball tower. (no zombies and not many people go there)

^^^^NORTH^^^^^    

[row of storage lockers]............................[Long Hog pen]

[Long Hog pen]

[metal building]...[metal building]..............[Huge metal building].

Edited by Xbow
  • Like 2

Hiya.

Any insights?

Cheers. ;)

i don't like to lock myself inside a killbox, which is what you're doing.

what you want to do is use an ax and stay outside behind cover. circle around the zombies and ax them in the head. once you're satisfied the horde is disposed of, go back to looting silently.

There's one common mistake I make when I get taken by zombies, or at least torn up by them: I stay in one spot too long.

• Like 1

For zombies It doesn't really matter if you use an axe or a gun (a gun alerts other players out to 1000 yards but 1st generation zombies can hear any gunshot (Including the amphibian) out to 100yards. The zombies you kill will re-spawn very quickly no matter what weapon was used to slay them and they will be locked in on you. 1st generation Zeds can see out to 200 yards but re-spawned Zeds will have enhanced vision out to 600 yards and are stone deaf.. 2nd gen Zeds are persistent in their pursuit of you as long as they have a direct line of sight on you.

If you get jumped by a pack, and I know you have heard this before RUN LIKE HELL towards cover. If you need to shoot some wait until just before you dive into a tree line make the kills quick and then haul ass on a path that puts visual obstructions between you and the location of the Zeds you just waxed. But most of all keep moving. If you see cows run towards them as often Zeds will break off their pursuit of you to slaughter cattle (its hilarious).

Rapidly spawning Zeds is not a glitch or a bug it is a way to simulate larger numbers of Zeds without slowing down the system to a crawl. Zeds generally re-spawn outside your perception to the left right and rear and within a 100yard radius of the place their parent Zeds bit the dust.

I did a test not long ago and got a pack of 1st generation Zeds and their 2nd and 3rd generation re-spawns to case me over 3000 meters.  

What I call glitch hitting (hitting from what appears to be a distance that is beyond melee range)  is caused by lag. When you encounter a zed that is to close for comfort but you would think is too far away to hit you  shoot quickly and then move instantly to the side and keep moving you will generally not get hit...it serves the same purpose as circling a Zed when using a melee weapon on it. It also helps to shoot while you are circling.      

Note: For a PSO1 scope you can quite often find one in the row of storage lockers in the vicinity of map location 049- 024 150 yards south of a tall water ball tower. (no zombies and not many people go there)

^^^^NORTH^^^^^    

[Long Hog pen]...............................[row of storage lockers]

[Long Hog pen]

[Huge metal building]...............[metal building]...[metal building]

I dont' have the same experience with respawning zombies. Sometimes they respawn, other times they don't. 

The ax is far superior to staying off their zradar.

Edited by tootights
  • Like 1

I will say this - I used to "LOL @ U!" for people who posted problems with zombies, but that was when I always played 3pp and before the respawn update. Lately I've been playing a lot of 1pp and I can say with confidence that it's far harder to deal with zeds in 1pp with meelee, couple that with the respawn update and I've actually died at least 2 times from zombies. If I enter a town where it's clear noone's been around I'm usually in for quite the fight and will try to sneak by as many as I can. Lonewolf in 1pp is harder these days, especially with the zed hitbox being bungered at the moment.

I actually view zombies as something I need to really worry about now, especially when playing 1pp/Hardcore, and ESPECIALLY after freshly spawning.

• Like 1

I will say this - I used to "LOL @ U!" for people who posted problems with zombies, but that was when I always played 3pp and before the respawn update. Lately I've been playing a lot of 1pp and I can say with confidence that it's far harder to deal with zeds in 1pp with meelee, couple that with the respawn update and I've actually died at least 2 times from zombies. If I enter a town where it's clear noone's been around I'm usually in for quite the fight and will try to sneak by as many as I can. Lonewolf in 1pp is harder these days, especially with the zed hitbox being bungered at the moment.

I actually view zombies as something I need to really worry about now, especially when playing 1pp/Hardcore, and ESPECIALLY after freshly spawning.

Can anybody say, "RUN, RUN for the hills"? 

I love this game. It's like having a teddy bear where the stuffing is coming out, it's missing a leg, and it's missing an eye or nose. But it's so comforting to hold onto. 

Edited by RAM-bo4250
  • Like 2

Can anybody say, "RUN, RUN for the hills"? 

I love this game. It's like having a teddy bear where the stuffing is coming out, it's missing a leg, and it's missing an eye or nose. But it's so comforting to hold onto. 

And you can stitch that teddy bear back together, it may be the ugliest thing to look at but it's still there for you :D

Hiya.

Cheers. ;)

See below

Use an axe instead of a gun next time,

This^

Hey thanks for the advice folks.

Apparently they go through closed doors too? I thought they fixed that. Oh well.

Fixed and Fixing are two different things.

Using melee weapons isn't much better than guns. It seems zombies can hear an axe killing their friends and family from miles away.

1) I dont' have the same experience with respawning zombies. Sometimes they respawn, other times they don't. 

2) The ax is far superior to staying off their zradar.

1) A first generation zombie when killed by any means will almost always spawn a second generation Zombie. But that doesn't mean the re-spawn can see you or you can see it. The diagram at the bottom shows where a re-spawn might be placed by the system. The circle has a diameter of 200m. The blue area is where the re-spawn might appear after you have killed its parent. It generally wont re-spawn in the direction you are looking. If there is an obstruction to its line of sight between you and it it will not aggro on you. How you killed the parent zombie has ZERO effect on whether the zombie will generate a re-spawn or not. Using an axe on a Zed will not activate another Zed and send him running to you as a gun will from 100yards distant but the range at which a Zed can hear an axe strike on one of its buddies is unknown to me (but I am sure it is far less than 100yards.)  The bottom line is that if you kill three Zeds with your axe Zero to Three more will re-spawn and the ones that can see you will aggro on you.      

Zed-Re-Spawn_zpsa4344c6e.jpg

2) The ax is far superior to staying off their zradar.

Not actually true in all cases because Zeds that are less than or equal to 100 yards distant from you that have line of sight on you will be coming your way even if you are using an axe.  I have seen it too many times when I am chopping down a Zed and another one arrives to help his pal and then another..and that is before any could re-spawn. Somehow the Zeds detect a fight and head to it with or without gunfire . WOBO says you have a 5 second window to kill the zed facing you, if you fail the 5 second test then other 1st or 2nd generation Zeds will be heading your way with or without Line of sight. 

This not to discount your experience perhaps you almost always pass the 5 second test and your use of an axe does not attract more distant Zeds and that could be seen as a form of stealth,  As for me I want to get rid of them as fast as possible so I use the .45 and go about my business and get what I came for expect to see them on any floor of a building and then leave as fast as possible. I know (believe) that when you are in a building zeds can hear every move you make even if they are outside.

Happy Zed Hunting Tootights...Beans? :beans:    

Edited by Xbow
  • Like 1