Boomergar

Fully Kitted for the First Time!

Well, I was just finishing up on my first run through the NW airfield. Everything was going according to plan. I was laying low, ducking in between buildings, using my trusty fire-ax on any zed dumb enough to get too close. I had plenty of food, drink, medical supplies, and more ammo for my Mosin than I knew what to do with! Every piece of equipment and clothing save for my assault vest was pristine, and it looked like I was lucky enough to be the first person at the NW airfield since the server reset. Everything was ripe for the taking! Gun parts, spare magazines, my choice of color of boots! A guy never had it so good! 

I'd had a few friendly encounters with this character, so I was feeling pretty decent. Not much can go wrong now. I consider myself a pretty level-headed guy, and am friendly to a fault. So I'm finishing up on one of the last tents at the military camp, and I hear a voice telling me to not turn around. I responded in voice, telling him I was friendly, explaining my situation to him. He kept asking me to say something, and I again said hello and introduced myself. He then proceeded to shoot me in the head.

Hi, my name is Garrett, and today I f*cked up by having my mic muted.

• Like 3

Well, I was just finishing up on my first run through the NW airfield. Everything was going according to plan. I was laying low, ducking in between buildings, using my trusty fire-ax on any zed dumb enough to get too close. I had plenty of food, drink, medical supplies, and more ammo for my Mosin than I knew what to do with! Every piece of equipment and clothing save for my assault vest was pristine, and it looked like I was lucky enough to be the first person at the NW airfield since the server reset. Everything was ripe for the taking! Gun parts, spare magazines, my choice of color of boots! A guy never had it so good! 

I'd had a few friendly encounters with this character, so I was feeling pretty decent. Not much can go wrong now. I consider myself a pretty level-headed guy, and am friendly to a fault. So I'm finishing up on one of the last tents at the military camp, and I hear a voice telling me to not turn around. I responded in voice, telling him I was friendly, explaining my situation to him. He kept asking me to say something, and I again said hello and introduced myself. He then proceeded to shoot me in the head.

Did he sound like an englishman, by any chance?

So you had a nice gear, lots of ammo and all other things you need. Why did you to and airport ? See where that got you ? You died because of your own greed. I never go to airports other than Krasno and that's only on my way to Svetlo. This is why you people die, you have all you need with your taste for your fancy military gear and you still go to the military loot areas. 

Day_Z_01_09_2014_23_04_01_380.jpg

This is me, cargo pants, wool jacket and a vest I got while crossing Krano airport, not even a bag pack because it gives you away when sniping. Poor spec ops players, thinking they need some high end gear to survive. 

Edited by General Zod
  • Like 1

Wait till weather effects come to stable & you will carry a back pack too.

• Like 1

Wait till weather effects come to stable & you will carry a back pack too.

I die at least twice a day, sniping in berezino is not a safe profession, so long term problems are not concern to me, worst case scenario I'll drop the coat. Which is why I stopped going for cool "fully kitted" look. I make do with what I find. 

Edited by General Zod

He was going to shoot you no matter what you did hombre the best defensive policy is to always keep a weapon drawn and shoot the instant you see another player in a loot spawning area. 

• Like 1

He was going to shoot you no matter what you did hombre the best defensive policy is to always keep a weapon drawn and shoot the instant you see another player in a loot spawning area. 

While I respect your opinion, but you have no clue as to what he would of done. Considering he had the decency to make his presence known instead of shooting on sight gives me hope. Plus Im not fond of KoS, but hey, different play styles.

• Like 1

The reason I had the gear was because I was just finishing up at the airfield. I had next to nothing before that.

Did he sound like an englishman, by any chance?

And no, American.

While I respect your opinion, but you have no clue as to what he would of done. Considering he had the decency to make his presence known instead of shooting on sight gives me hope. Plus Im not fond of KoS, but hey, different play styles.

As a matter of fact neither of us do hombre, and the fact is the guy ended up dead without taking any aggressive action against the shooter. I choose to avoid other players because if a guy has a gun drawn (as I always do) and is oriented on me I pull the trigger instantly. If he isn't oriented on me I generally haul ass and take evasive action even though I could have drilled the guy ...but guess what most of the time the individual I didn't shoot fires at me as I am making my escape. I have been shot while wiggling with my hand up or trying to talk and even attacked while trying to help other players. So, KoS extends your life IMHO. I would love to interact a bit with others but it isn't worth getting killed over.    

• Like 2

As a matter of fact neither of us do hombre, and the fact is the guy ended up dead without taking any aggressive action against the shooter. I choose to avoid other players because if a guy has a gun drawn (as I always do) and is oriented on me I pull the trigger instantly. If he isn't oriented on me I generally haul ass and take evasive action even though I could have drilled the guy ...but guess what most of the time the individual I didn't shoot fires at me as I am making my escape. I have been shot while wiggling with my hand up or trying to talk and even attacked while trying to help other players. So, KoS extends your life IMHO. I would love to interact a bit with others but it isn't worth getting killed over.    

My experience also and exactly what I do.  I always have a pistol drawn and at the ready when in a danger area and I NEVER anticipate a "friendly" encounter at any military installation anywhere on the map.  I also never run in a tent city, that way I don't need to take a fraction of a second to bring the weapon up, it is up..  If I can avoid you, I will, I will do my best to evade and not let you see me unless I feel you are not a threat, which happens about as often as Noah builds an ark.

And for all you hippie type tree huggers, you can thank all the other players that have killed me from behind and without a word for my current behavior.   I am a product of my DayZ experiences.

• Like 1

My experience also and exactly what I do.  I always have a pistol drawn and at the ready when in a danger area and I NEVER anticipate a "friendly" encounter at any military installation anywhere on the map.  I also never run in a tent city, that way I don't need to take a fraction of a second to bring the weapon up, it is up..  If I can avoid you, I will, I will do my best to evade and not let you see me unless I feel you are not a threat, which happens about as often as Noah builds an ark.

And for all you hippie type tree huggers, you can thank all the other players that have killed me from behind and without a word for my current behavior.   I am a product of my DayZ experiences.

You operate in that fashion because your Marklars are wise and true and I operate in that same way because I am also a product of my DayZ exoeriences. I saw a new-spawn trying to fight three zeds with his fists the only thing he had was a motorcycle helmet. I shot the 3 zeds with the FNX45 and offered to bandage the jerk. But instead of accepting my kindness he put up his dukes and comes forward punching. I backed up and killed him as well. One thing about DayZ is that no good deed goes unpunished. 

You simply must have some Beans  :beans:

Edited by Xbow
  • Like 1

I have too much empathy for the Dayz environment! I know the feeling of having travelled the far reaches of the land, coming across rare 'treasures'. Only to lose it all with a single bullet to the back. But I just can't bring myself to shoot first, in case the other guy is just like me, drifting from place to place, with no murderous intent.

I've survived okay, being cautious, taking the less travelled routes. Sometimes I get a wave of paranoia, constantly checking my six to see if I'm being followed. I've had occasions where I've really worked myself up; standing in the middle of a forest, frantically checking all compass points, heh heh! My favourite piece of equipment at the moment is my pair of pristine binoculars...although I probably make an inviting sniper target, standing on a rocky clifftop with binocs stuck to my eyes!

• Like 1

Yes, I'm fairly new, less than 20 or so hours in game. I've got a lot to learn, but one thing is for sure.. I do hope to have more friendly interactions, and meet some new people along the way. You can only survive alone for so long...

Yes, I'm fairly new, less than 20 or so hours in game. I've got a lot to learn, but one thing is for sure.. I do hope to have more friendly interactions, and meet some new people along the way. You can only survive alone for so long...

You won't meet friendly people in military bases. You won't meet friendly people in Berezino (Berserkerino) 

And most people that have guns will only be friendly if you catch them without that gun in their hands. 

Airfields and prisons are KoS no matter how friendly you are elswhere. Remember you come to airfield to get loot not to make friends. Best way to make friends is to be a freshspawn and head through cities like Novo or Svetlo. Also Berezino is full of hackers, only go there if you want to perform suicide.

• Like 1

Best way to make friends is to be a freshspawn and head through cities like Novo 

Yea like the 5 men ass kicking squad of kosers I killed after they logged in it the town hall ?

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/156341-lets-post-some-screen-shots-standalone/page-63#entry2098354

Screens of my triumph over 5 armed players. 

• Like 1

I have too much empathy for the Dayz environment! I know the feeling of having travelled the far reaches of the land, coming across rare 'treasures'. Only to lose it all with a single bullet to the back. But I just can't bring myself to shoot first, in case the other guy is just like me, drifting from place to place, with no murderous intent.

In know what you mean, bro. ^^

In my 40 hours played untill now I have killed zero players, that didn't attack me first (or threadened with death). Sometimes it was my death, but... I don't think my behaviour will change in future. ;-)

You won't meet friendly people in military bases.

But I already have. Met a guy at an airfield and we talked for while, traded ammunition. Not often, but you can. :-)

Airfields and prisons are KoS no matter how friendly you are elswhere. Remember you come to airfield to get loot not to make friends. Best way to make friends is to be a freshspawn and head through cities like Novo or Svetlo. Also Berezino is full of hackers, only go there if you want to perform suicide.

Hey SkyttsTV, is your avatar picture a character from Fallout?

In the early days of playing, I tried server hopping to gain gear, in the top room of a prison/command center. :blush:

One time I spawned and it was dark. I saw a player enter the room, and I logged out. When I logged back in, I was on the beach.

I tried it again, a few more times. Again, I spawned in and a fully geared player entered the room.

He saw me I called out to him. Rather than shoot me after startling him, he talked, and said "you have 3 seconds to leave - I don't trust anyone".

I complied, and he let me go, with a friendly farewell!

• Like 1

You should have at least made an attempt at a side step dash... You were going to die no matter what if you were told not to turn around.

There are no friendlies in Military Bases and Junkyards.

The sooner you learn that, the sooner you start learning to look in the jeeps and pickup trucks