Kirov (DayZ)

Ingame map

The ingame map is one of the most important items to me and, combined with a compass, gives me much more of a peace of the mind than a loaded gun. I wonder how many people around here actually bother to use it instead of the online version? And for those who do, do you aim to get a hold of one piece of a complete map or do you prefer two complementary parts (e.g. W+E) for better zoom-in scale (if you put the entire map together, you lose a lot of resolution)? And a few more issues/questions that follow:

1) Is it only my impression that the ingame map is much less accurate than the online one? I'm not talking about the roads, those are fine, nor the fact that the Northern town names are not updated. What is off is mostly greenery, i.e. woods, grasslands, crops, etc. Sometimes it's confusing and very hard to navigate without any man-made landmarks. You can compare the wood areas south of Sinistok to see what I mean (I've checked and I'm quite sure it's the online map which is correct).

x10dis.jpg      2640rhx.jpg

2) Some time ago in mid-August I played on a hardcore server and noticed I got a GPS on my map! There was a yellow circle in my exact location and it moved whenever I moved. However, this disappeared on the next day and I never saw that again. Do you think that some kind of a GPS device was tried out? I must say I'm in two minds here - navigating with just a compass and a map can be quite frustrating, but also very realistic and I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to a 'You are here' dot moving around on my paper map, and in a game where walkie-talkies are considered high tech for that matter...

3) Currently as of .48, you can make notes on your ingame map but these disappear every time you change the server. Do you have the same experience and does anybody know when we'll get to make permanent map marks?

• Like 2

The online map is a 2D overhead view of the actual 3D map. The in-game map is what a real life map would look like. Maps are not supposed to depict every single detail. It gives you the gist of what's there.

I'm not sure if I can agree with that. Zoom in on any incomplete piece of the ingame map - it clearly tries to depict every fence, even individual trees in the fields, almost every rock formation, the smallest sheds. Real life maps don't look like that, you just get a general line delineating the woods. I would be completely fine with that, but on a few occasions have trusted and been let down by the map at its smaller grain. I understand agree that trees can be cut, which is why they shouldn't make their way onto the ingame map at all.

Speaking of the scale, do you know what 'contour interval' means in the ingame map legend? I can't figure it out...

Updating the ingame map is a lot of work and I think they are just leaving it until they are finished with the actual 3D map. The online map is a user created tool to help with navigation and looting - the people maintaining it have far more reason to keep it updated.

I think the ingame map will never be as good as the online map in terms of navigation - its future is probably to be modified ingame to show plans, hiding spots etc. and give it to other players. Basically a sheet of paper with a pre-drawn map you can use to mark locations, routes and areas. I really hope they won't pass that chance because they are afraid of penis drawings.

Maybe notes disappear because they are server specific? Did anyone test their behavior?

• Like 1

Speaking of the scale, do you know what 'contour interval' means in the ingame map legend? I can't figure it out...

Has to do with topographic maps.

"In order to keep things simple, topographic maps show lines for certain elevations only. These lines are evenly spaced apart. We call this spacing the contour interval. For example, if your map uses a 10-foot contour interval, you will see contour lines for every 10 feet (3 meters) of elevation -- lines at 0, 10, 20, 30, 40, and so on. Different maps use different intervals, depending on the topography. If, for example, the general terrain is quite elevated, the map might run at 80- to even 100-foot (24.4- to 30.5-meter) intervals. This makes it easier to read the map -- too many contour lines would be difficult to work with. Look in the margin of your map to find out its contour interval."

Source:

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/hiking/how-to-read-a-topographic-map2.htm

Edited by dirrly

Maybe notes disappear because they are server specific? Did anyone test their behavior?

Seems to be like this - info says "Markers will be visible only to players on the current". After switching server my markers disappeared and did not reappear, same with leaving and rejoining the server. Sadly I could not test any further because when I dropped my map it disappeared.

Contour interval is the distance between the altitude lines (contour lines) on the map.

Thanks guys, yeah I really could've googled that interval. ;) As for updating the map, I agree it's probably low priority at this stage, but I saw so many people around here complaining against the non-immersive use of the browser map when the ingame one is just unreliable at times. An option to add permanent notes would sure be cool and help a bit (even if it required a separate pen).

Right now notes persist on a map which is dropped and then picked up (just checked that), but whenever you log out, they're gone.

It certainly makes sense that markers would persist at some point. The Paper in the game can be written on with a Pen and persist between servers, so why not allow this for maps too.

I'm a big fan of the in-game map and have been impressed with how accurate and current it stays - as locations are constantly being added and removed, they tend to show up right away.

Even though there is no special marker for them, you can still tell where Water Pumps are (they are a very small gray square on the map, smaller than barns and sheds).

And there's been discussion on what sort of markers the map should contain by default - Fire Stations, Hospitals, Police Stations, Military Locations, etc. were mentioned.

Actually there are pumps on the ingame map, they are visible on non-complete maps (you need to zoom in a lot) and look like this:

2z682gj.jpg

Some of them are actually not there - there is a symbol like the above in Dubrovka, but the pump is out of order (closed with wooden boards, like you probably saw many times). Actually, I'd be completely fine with such inaccuracy - the map is supposed to be pre-apocalypse after all. But I'd still like to mark such stuff in a permanent way...

You say the map is accurate and up-to-date, yet it doesn't even have the names of new northern towns yet. And yeah, the road grid is fine, but there are areas where if you want to navigate along the lines of 'go through this grove, pass a clearing on your left, then turn right and stick to the edge of the woods', you can get hopelessly lost. But yeah, it's Alpha and I'm sure they have more important stuff to do than cater to such maniacs. ;)

Oh, and there are not feedshacks on it, so good luck finding your tent without that.

It would be interesting to have some randomized features like wells (reduce their number and randomize amongst their current locations) showing up on the maps - this way having a map actually gives you an advantage (other than being able to add things on your own). People without a map might have no idea where to go. People using the online map would know possible locations of wells or special buildings but only the ingame map shows their actual positions.

Less static elements like police cars or helicopter crashes should not be shown of course but I can see it working together with a well/special building randomization system.

Re 2) above - here it is again. I opened my map when in Chernaya Polana and saw that my location is presented there with a yellow circle, which moved whenever I moved. Moreover, I noticed a strange note 'zombie crouched magenta', but when I got there, the note faded and there was no zombie around. When I left that location, the note re-appeared. The GPS disappeared later on, probably when I left the server.

See below. Anyone ever noticed anything similar?

r29l3m.jpg

I made a D size print of the map and keep it folded up next to me or hang it on the wall. Much easier IMO than toggle between Steam browser or even the in-game map. The issue with the dazdb map and ones like it is they don't offer elevation info like a topographical maps does, plus I don't care for the loot spawn information.

Edited by haknslash

I find it easier to just explore the whole map and get to know as many areas as possible, in game maps take up too much space, any space is too much really I'd rather have some food, a can opener or ammo in that slot nevermind when you have other parts too.

I think they should do away with their being pieces and just have it be the full map, maybe slightly rarer.

Why would it be in pieces anyway? I know this is an apocalypse...but what situation makes so many maps get ripped? (cleanly ripped too)

I think if anything people would take good care of maps unless maybe they rip them up because they don't understand them...

Anyway if ever I need a map I just use the offline map on my iPod the only issue with it is that it's slow to update, which is actually good I'd rather not know exactly where helicopter crashes etc are.

Re 2) above - here it is again. I opened my map when in Chernaya Polana and saw that my location is presented there with a yellow circle, which moved whenever I moved. Moreover, I noticed a strange note 'zombie crouched magenta', but when I got there, the note faded and there was no zombie around. When I left that location, the note re-appeared. The GPS disappeared later on, probably when I left the server.

See below. Anyone ever noticed anything similar?

r29l3m.jpg

Yes.

I came across this in the first couple of weeks and glad I was of it.

I had got turned about in a forest.

Have not seen it for ages though I wonder if they took it out.?

Hmmm

I find it easier to just explore the whole map and get to know as many areas as possible, in game maps take up too much space, any space is too much really I'd rather have some food, a can opener or ammo in that slot nevermind when you have other parts too.

I think they should do away with their being pieces and just have it be the full map, maybe slightly rarer.

Why would it be in pieces anyway? I know this is an apocalypse...but what situation makes so many maps get ripped? (cleanly ripped too)

I think if anything people would take good care of maps unless maybe they rip them up because they don't understand them...

Anyway if ever I need a map I just use the offline map on my iPod the only issue with it is that it's slow to update, which is actually good I'd rather not know exactly where helicopter crashes etc are.

A full map takes one single inventory slot. Have you ever tried combining map pieces to create a full map?

I see combining parts of the map as a mini-game, like finding all the accessories to the AK, although I always wondered why I keep finding pieces for areas different from my current one, like an N piece when I'm South and vice versa. Maybe it's just bad luck. And yeah, I prefer combining them in one piece even despite the loss in accuracy - no point in carrying two better maps if the full one will do most of the times.

As to the GSP marker - I read in the STALKER guide that it used to be there, but I have seen it only on a few occasions. And although this is super useful, it's also very unrealistic and non-immersive and I'd rather play without it at the risk of getting lost every now and then.

A full map takes one single inventory slot. Have you ever tried combining map pieces to create a full map?

Don't you need all of them though? So in the mean time each part takes up a whole space and you're not guaranteed to find them all at any given time.

Don't you need all of them though? So in the mean time each part takes up a whole space and you're not guaranteed to find them all at any given time.

Ah ok, I see your point now and agree. It can be quite hard on the inventory until you have all pieces together. It is always a relief for me to get rid of the unnecessary parts once that happens and valued space is freed up. I guess it is like you said, you have to set priorities, and maybe keep it for later...

I for my part like the process of finding them and I am also using the ingame map quite a lot. The accurracy is more than enough for me, it is always updated (new towns etc.) and I really, really like the terrain-heightlines, which I find very helpful sometimes. A feature "pictured"online maps do not provide; and I really like to explore lootpoints for myself too, so I do not need them indicated with coloured points etc. on a map.

Both, compass and map, go into the first protector box I find...

As for the GPS-feature: I´ve never seen during my play and I really hope it will never make it into the game. I want to be surprised, also by the zeds, and feel my hair in the neck rise once they are suddenly after me...

Own, permanent markings in a map would be nice though. Especially once that persistence thing works better and you happen to "find" somebody elses map with interesting markings in it...

I use both. I have a complete map in game and will use that. But if I'm just dicking around or really looking for something I'll use the DayZDB map on my laptop.

Why would it be in pieces anyway? I know this is an apocalypse...but what situation makes so many maps get ripped? (

Maps come pieces because if maps were not compartmentalised how big would it end up being?!

As for what you at a minimum for a full map is 1x Map of the North and 1x South, combine them and now you have a full map.

You can find parts SE, SW etc...and combine them as well. I am not sure what parts of these combine into a full map as i have not collected them all in on go yet!

And anybody who says  "I dont need it i know the map" is a fool. And please devs give us proper compass support, at minimum what was in the mod...argh!

Edited by Trizzo

O prefer the ingame map because too me the othermaps that people use feels metagamed too me but thats just my personal opinion.

You can find parts SE, SW etc...and combine them as well. I am not sure what parts of these combine into a full map as i have not collected them all in on go yet!

SE, SW, NE, NW

I strictly use in game map I like to fall into my char completely and I love the thrill of apoc survival. I try to do everything I can to maintain that