Sign in to follow this  
d.walker43

screen goes pitch black when looking at light source

Hi guys!

I have found what I think is a bug/glitch, whenever I look at an aritifcial light source such as a chemlight on a nighttime server my screen goes completely black, except for the chemlight itself. I made a fire several weeks before this and it was fine, the light shows through walls and such but that's due to the current engine I think.

I was trying to search in these forums for similar issues, found 1 other person with the same issue. theirs happened with a fire, mine happened with a chemlight.

Don't know if this is a bug or not, just bringing it to the community/dev's attention. Thanks!

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/209679-screen-goes-black-when-looking-at-firechemlight/#entry2099006

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/208454-gamma-changing-based-on-what-you-look-at/#entry2088203

I did some experiments after the other thread about how "gamma" changes in-game depending where you are looking. I still think it's a nice feature but other players think it's a mistake or  should be removed. In fact the way the light changes, and how much it changes, depends quite a lot on your graphics settings in the game. If you try tweaking the different settings, one by one, you can the differences.

I guess the across-the-board "standard" or "high" DayZ settings (the preset choices) must give you the effect the way it was designed.. If you modify one or two things away from standard it will give you more or less of the effect, for different reasons. Also, your own PC graphics card software presets - with your graphics/screen modifier program - must play a role. Try with that set to "standard" too (or whatever the option is called ) just to check.

??

Edited by pilgrim