Sign in to follow this  
Gu1t4r_M4n

"You are dead" - Logout; What happens?

OK. So I died falling down some stairs the other day (in-game of course). I got the black screen message saying "You are dead". I logged out quickly. On the main menu screen, there is no character. Now here's my question:

If I log back on to the server, will my body still be there, dead on the ground for a short amount of time? Or will I instantly respawn as a new character upon login?

If I have to start over, no big deal. That's half the fun of the game! But if I could save all of my items, that'd be great too.

(I have a defibrilator in my backpack and I was hoping that my friend would be able to go where I died, have me log on, search my backpack for the defib., and try to revive me.)

that doesn't work. when you spawn in you will be a new character somewhere else, your body/items will be long gone.

I thought if you logged back into the same server and were lucky enough to spawn somewhere relatively nearby, you could run back and find your body. Assuming no one else had found it first, etc, and that it wasn't 20 feet up in the air because you fell through a Floor of Death.

Genuine question - I've never tried to do it, but could swear others have....

Bodies last for 10 minutes approx., the OP however says he died 'the other day' so his body is long gone.

I thought if you logged back into the same server and were lucky enough to spawn somewhere relatively nearby, you could run back and find your body. Assuming no one else had found it first, etc, and that it wasn't 20 feet up in the air because you fell through a Floor of Death.

This was how it worked for me the other night. I died due to an invisible zed near dolina, spawned at staroye and had enough time to get back to my body. Not sure how long bodies stay in game, might only be 10 to 15 minutes. Oh I forgot to mention this was on experimental

Bodies disappear after 10 minutes.

Sweet! Thanks guys! Now I know.

As this being my first post, I am glad to say that I like this forum already. It's active, and I got helpful responses!

I have been able to run to my corpse twice. The first time it was stuck on a ladder and couldn't be looted. The other time I got into the inventory screen and could see all my stuff and then got "no message received". It sucked.

I'm going to have to read up on defibrillators then in DayZ. I must be mixing up dead and unconscious??

Edit: Checked the wiki. Yup. I forgot the difference between dead and unconscious. MAN this game is realistic. I love it!

Edited by Gu1t4r_M4n

I'm going to have to read up on defibrillators then in DayZ. I must be mixing up dead and unconscious??

Edit: Checked the wiki. Yup. I forgot the difference between dead and unconscious. MAN this game is realistic. I love it!

Yeah. I woke up this morning, got out of bed and fell straight through the floor into the kitchen and died.