Sign in to follow this  
Mark Darkers

Servers renting grid blocks (1kmx1km)

Hi, today I played on some of the most annoying servers I have ever logged into. (sorry I did not manage to get the servers info).

On login a greeting message appeared with the text: "greetings survivor! tired of running into looted areas? Loot your own piece of land at (link info)."

Now what was basically happening, is that on the website of this admin, you could rent ground on Chernarus in DayZ. The pricing was based of 1 km by 1 km grid squares.

This alone is already illegal (as far that I am aware of), but here comes the annoying part, when you as a 'not renter' enter that area, you are automatically kicked, several times ending up in getting a wipe. So not only makes this the game unplayable, unable to enter most of the towns without paying for it (because every step you take can be fatal), it is also extremely unfair as most of the loot areas are rented out and thus only accessible by the players who rent the patches of ground. I don't know where people get money to spend on such a thing, but I find this rather sad.

Further more, to have this custom system working, they have to alter the server code (which is also not allowed) inject their own script (the rent detection) and connect a corrupt server to the hive.

Yes, I know, you could always just play on another server, but I just wanted to put the spotlight on the activities that are happening and ruining the game. More and more of these profit aimed servers are popping up (not caring about gameplay or host rules) and I think that is a shame. They always give the same excuse it is to keep the server running, but what use does a server have if it has no players on it?

Next time when I come across such a server, I will copy it's info and data over as an example (if I ever find one again).

This is no different from farm-servers where non clansmen/donators get kicked, and the rest gear-up in peace, but if their message and actions are as blatant as you say, def get the name/IP.

Doesn't affect me directly but may as well be duping, and if they come into other servers (which i'm guessing is the whole point in farming for gear...)

The autokick on entering a grid may be a whitelist function, you donate/pay give your name and can only access grids with given name, and the host just searches for your name and kicks you otherwise, but i'd think they'd need some means of tracking your location to be able to do this as you allege. 

Sounds dubious.

Jesus. This game has more hackers and shady ass server admins than any other game. I really hope this shit gets cleaned up by beta.

Whaaaaaaa? How is this even possible....

Because the powers that be at DayZ headquarters have never addressed hacking. Lets pray that since they are building a new core, the client side exploiting will be over in the new build.

And Rocket is against private hives but aloves this? Bring back "one server-one carachter" thing!

And Rocket is against private hives but aloves this? Bring back "one server-one carachter" thing!

When did he say he's against private hives? He's made it quite clear he's in full support of modding, and that the steam workshop will "be 100% compatible with DayZ". Unless he really wants mods on public servers, then I'd imagine what you said is false.

It's a private property. I'm sure they put up signs and fences, right?

• Like 1

It's a private property. I'm sure they put up signs and fences, right?

oh my...GET OFF MY LAWN YOU YOUNGLING BANDIDTS !!

• Like 1

:/ I have never seen this. I dont think it is a big problem, just change the server if you feel like it is not good for you. I think duplicators and hackers are bigger problem than this.

Servers with payable grids would be shit anyway. Leave them be so the idiots who want to fork out cash for virtual hats, guns and filthy rusty hoes can stay there.