Sign in to follow this  
hleVqq

Lock Vertical FOV

So that everyone would see the same amount in height and the width would be monitor dimensions/count-dependant. Because, you know, constantly adjusting your FOV in order to see farther (big FOV) or better (small FOV) isn't very immersive... or realistic.

It's done in CSGO, for instance.

• Like 2

Agreed, it also makes mil-dots useless because almost everyone has different FOVs.

So that everyone would see the same amount in height and the width would be monitor dimensions/count-dependant. Because, you know, constantly adjusting your FOV in order to see farther (big FOV) or better (small FOV) isn't very immersive... or realistic.

It's done in CSGO, for instance.

But sideways is horizontal. Vertical is up and down.

But sideways is horizontal. Vertical is up and down.

Thats the point. You get the same vertical FoV and the horizontal FoV adjusts to your resolution. This way you won't be able to zoom in/out via FoV setting as its the same height and a higher FoV just adds additional vision to the sides.

You cannot simply set a fixed horizontal FoV as this depends on screen and platform - furthermore playing with the "wrong FoV" (mainly if its too small) causes unhealthy side effects like a headache or worse.

The best fix for people changing the FOV is to only make it accessible in the main menu, thus still giving each player there own choice in what they want it to be, just making it so they can't exploit it in game

• Like 3

The best fix for people changing the FOV is to only make it accessible in the main menu, thus still giving each player there own choice in what they want it to be, just making it so they can't exploit it in game

Locking the vertical IP would not interfere with horizontal fov settings thus people would still be able to adjust their fov to not get motion sickness and to accommodate 1440p monitors or larger while not giving lower FOVS any advantage in zoom or render distance.

Good idea. I have experienced times when this feels like it should have been implemented.

They should make you adjust your FOV on every new life, and throughout that life you have that FOV locked in.

Edited by KiskilleAcronym

Same could be done for gamma and brightness setting maybe? 

• Like 3

Same could be done for gamma and brightness setting maybe? 

I'd like to see the gamma setting removed completely. Brightness can stay, though. I crank up my brightness to full even on daytime servers because when I look in the vague direction of the sun, even if it's concealed by a hill or a building, my screen practically goes black. As such I keep my brightness on 100%. When the HDR kicks in I can still see, at least.

Gamma is used to exploit. I seriously doubt that there are people adjusting gamma to be able to see properly in the daytime, so I say the setting should be removed. Making it so players can only adjust gamma in the main menu will only lead to players adjusting their gamma settings before they join a night server, and readjusting it for when they join day servers. It'll only affect players who see dawn and dusk.

Making it so players can only adjust gamma in the main menu will only lead to players adjusting their gamma settings before they join a night server, and readjusting it for when they join day servers. It'll only affect players who see dawn and dusk.

I never knew those players still existed! The servers too! (Damn, DayZ is in a sorry state isn't it, I didn't realise FPS twitchers and shallow players could cause so much damage)

For some reason, I get the feeling it'll never removed. Aspects of the game that can be exploited have all been around for so long, I get the feeling that the dev team are catering to their needs. (Unless I missed one of their statement, promising to deliver the Dayz experience)