mrmutant

Bullet Casings, Barrel Heat and SURVIVING

After 112 hours of game time I've got a few ideas.

Today i took fire in svet from SKS fire, no idea where it was coming from and began to search building to building for the dude, long story short I was pretty sure I found him 10 minutes later drinking out of the well by the police station, he was practically a fresh spawn with an SKS, claimed to have no idea what I was talking about when I asked if he shot at us. I killed him...

I don't really feel guilty but I just wish there was a way to verify he was the perpetrator, I wish I could walk up to him and grab the barrel of the SKS to feel if it was warm. To feel if it had recently been fired. My Mosin gets really hot after a couple rounds, you can feel the heat off of the barrel without having to touch it. I just wish I could do that in game. Also finding bullet casings would have helped with tracking him down. Would be cool to see these 2 small details in game.

And another... Surviving in DayZ is a joke, it's simply too easy. This is a major cause of why this game is still a shooting simulator not a survival simulator like it should be. Personally i believe the biggest flaw is the zombies. They are absolutely worthless besides using them for suicide. Either the zombies need to become much more difficult and an actual threat OR we can just remove them completely(or keep them as placeholders, whatever) and make SURVIVING much more difficult. Nature itself is a bitch enough to survive in already, we dont need zombies to add too it, sure it gives an excuse for the apocalypse but its just a lame excuse for one. However, I do believe the community needs something to keep them on their toes and to keep them to banding together and helping each other out instead of murdering each other on site. This is what the game is missing. Look at any other single player apocalypse themed game (STALKER, Fallout, Metro) they group up, form towns together and survive together. Why? Because it is very difficult to survive on your own, and that's how it needs to be in an "MMO" like DayZ.

So here's my suggestion to help fix it

The cold. Why doesn't the cold effect players survival yet? I'm sure it will in the future but here's my suggestion: make it snow and make it fucking cold. You want the community to stop KoSing? Give them a real reason to group up in a building, build a fire and warm up. This is just a stepping stone in the right direction. Once we have persistence and building we can have a community and an economy but just imagine seeing a fucking nuclear blizzard rolling in and thinking you're fucked. You begin to scramble to the nearest town and you see a building lit up. A light in the darkness, fucking Jesus himself saved your ass but would you approach it? Would you freeze your tits off and watch that flame in envy. Would you attempt to be friendly and join them? Would you try and kill them for the fire?

The Threat Of getting killed on sight is a necessity to the game, it adds to the tension. But if people were in groups the threat is reduced and if theyre were more benefits to grouping besides an extra set of eyes and an extra barrel people would be more likely to do it. I.e. you spoon each other at night, stay warm, and stay alive, that's some real shit.

The problem however is the lack of attachment and care for your character, the lack of benefits to grouping, the ease of surviving and the lack of shit to do. All there is, is your gear but what if you had friends and re spawning is worse then just running back to them, you have to survive that trip back now and it may take you a long, long time to be with those dudes again.

Hardcore should be more then just 1pp. It should be reserved for those who know how to survive, who have to group to live or die frozen in some tent. Once you know what you're doing, Hardcore should be the mode that you switch to when you want more challenge. But that's another suggestion.

To keep my suggestion/rant short: bullet casings, being able to feel a weapons heat, cold that kills in order to add to the realism and survival

(Also why the fuck does my Mosin never need a cleaning? Or jam/get stuck like my shitty one does IRL)

I know it's alpha, love this game, i got a lot of ideas and things I want to see for dayz. Putting my two cents in for a hopeful future.

Thoughts?

Can't see many uses for feeling the barrel of a gun, but bullet casings is a great idea. Would be neat walking into a building and finding bullet casings near a window. Would really add to the immersion. Maybe we could be able to pick them up and use them for something. Don't know how viable crafting new ammo from casings would be, but it's something.

Cold and disease is something I'm really looking forward to. Currently the only concerns are food and drink. Once you've sorted those out your'e all good. Water is especially easy to obtain.

I'd rather see DayZ being set in the winter rather than spring or whenever it is set now. I'm not interested in seeing thick snow, but frozen ground and 0 degree temperatures would be really good. Would make the world a threat without even needing to do anything else.

Feeling the barrel of a gun is a great idea. Not only should you be able to do that but smoke should also be visibly coming out of the barrel for at least 2-5 minutes after firing. Bullet casings is also an amazing idea because I've always thought that tracking should be a part of the game. Footsteps, animal footprints, being able to distinguish if an item has been recently placed by checking if it's dusty, being able to see dusty footprints, bloody or otherwise dirty hand prints. I've been posting extensively about things like this and also about the fact that the surviving  aspect in the game isn't good enough, needlessly to say it's too easy. Seasons should also be implemented. More surviving mechanisms, tracking and features like that is what DayZ needs.

Edited by Architbigbadwolf

Feeling the barrel of a gun is a great idea. Not only should you be able to do that but smoke should also be visibly coming out of the barrel for at least 2-5 minutes after firing. Bullet casings is also an amazing idea because I've always thought that tracking should be a part of the game. Footsteps, animal footprints, being able to distinguish if an item has been recently placed by checking if it's dusty, being able to see dusty footprints, bloody or otherwise dirty hand prints. I've been posting extensively about things like this and also about the fact that the surviving  aspect in the game isn't good enough, needlessly to say it's too easy. Seasons should also be implemented. More surviving mechanisms, tracking and features like that is what DayZ needs.

Im with you on the seasons but I think it should be like this. There are 4 weeks in a month. there are 4 seasons. So each week there is a different season. summer fall winter spring ect. so gameplay is constantly changing.

Can't see many uses for feeling the barrel of a gun, but bullet casings is a great idea. Would be neat walking into a building and finding bullet casings near a window. Would really add to the immersion. Maybe we could be able to pick them up and use them for something. Don't know how viable crafting new ammo from casings would be, but it's something.

Cold and disease is something I'm really looking forward to. Currently the only concerns are food and drink. Once you've sorted those out your'e all good. Water is especially easy to obtain.

I'd rather see DayZ being set in the winter rather than spring or whenever it is set now. I'm not interested in seeing thick snow, but frozen ground and 0 degree temperatures would be really good. Would make the world a threat without even needing to do anything else.

Checking if someone recently used their weapon has limited uses i agree, its something that adds to the atmosphere of the game though. Would be as easy to do as checking someones pulse and should be fairly easy to implement, the programming might not be there for the weapon yet though.

Yes food and drink and you're golden! What about exposure, hypothermia, heat stroke, sickness, frostbite, all that good stuff. Ive been through Mountain Warfare Training and you would think they would focus primarily on how to kill your enemy in a mountain environment, but over half of that course was purely on surviving and preventing exposure. It should be the same in game. Sure adrenaline in a firefight will help for a little bit but if youre unprepaared for an engagement, (i.e. freezing your ass off) then good luck in coming out alive.

And im with you on the season change, i feel like the northern part of the map should be iced over, or something to change the scenery and change the gameplay.

Same! I always catch myself tracking down people and stalking them to see if they're friendly, the game is definitely lacking in this regard.