Sign in to follow this  
Evil Minion

Server Time Setup and Restarts

I am getting increasingly annoyed by all those X hours restart 24/7 daylight servers out there. Half of them kick you without any warning and almost no server offers a longer duration where you can just play the game. Also skipping nighttime is annoying as I would like to

1. play on populated servers
  2. see the sunset
  3. keep playing after dusk
  4. generally see other light than afternoon sun

Now I can understand if people don't want to play at night but you can do this by simply picking a server where dusk is far and stop playing after dark just like people go to bed at night. Now skipping nighttime is a stupid feature in my opinion as it simply robs people of the chance of playing at night, makes more people play during daytime that would be active at night and changes loot dynamics.

For me the perfect server setup would be:

• a constant time flow (no speed change, set when the server goes online for the first time*)
  • no timeskipping at all:
    • not skipping night time
    • not skipping any daylight hours
    • after restart time is forced to the time when the server went down
  • server restarts only on ingame midnight

Now restart should not add or remove any loot and if crash sites etc. are moved they should still keep the old state (so a recently looted crashsite will still be a recently looted crashsite after restart) to avoid having an artificial "early bird advantage" for playing right after midnight.

I think the best calibration would be:

• real life timeflow (1 minute in real life = 1 minute ingame)
  • ingame time should be based on real time where the server is located minus 6 hours (so it would be noon/afternoon when most people are active and restarts would happen when least people are active)

How do you feel about server setups? Does anyone like frequent restarts? What do you think about time skipping? Am I the only one thinking this way?

*For the first time might include going online after a new update. Thats when setting server time and speed should be possible.

• Like 1

I am getting increasingly annoyed by all those X hours restart 24/7 daylight servers out there. Half of them kick you without any warning and almost no server offers a longer duration where you can just play the game. Also skipping nighttime is annoying as I would like to.....etc

I tell u man...if gamers could build robots to play their games so they could win some more...they would.

Very few gamers enjoy a challenge...they just need the cheap sensation of winning in a game.

In relation to dayz...nighttime is just to hard and scary.

Edited by svisketyggeren
  • Like 1

Its not about forcing players to play at night. Its about reducing server restart intervals and making them consistent in time. Basically incorporating the fact that most players prefer playing during daytime. And using it for kicking only a few players on restart while making restarts more predictable ingame.

And of course to give players the chance to play it hard and scary without the need of dedicated servers. The setup written above should ensure that most casuals play during daytime anyways. Its just the servers that should not be allowed to cheat away nighttime.

I am getting increasingly annoyed by all those X hours restart 24/7 daylight servers out there. Half of them kick you without any warning and almost no server offers a longer duration where you can just play the game. Also skipping nighttime is annoying as I would like to

1. play on populated servers
  2. see the sunset
  3. keep playing after dusk
  4. generally see other light than afternoon sun

Now I can understand if people don't want to play at night but you can do this by simply picking a server where dusk is far and stop playing after dark just like people go to bed at night. Now skipping nighttime is a stupid feature in my opinion as it simply robs people of the chance of playing at night, makes more people play during daytime that would be active at night and changes loot dynamics.

For me the perfect server setup would be:

• a constant time flow (no speed change, set when the server goes online for the first time*)
  • no timeskipping at all:
    • not skipping night time
    • not skipping any daylight hours
    • after restart time is forced to the time when the server went down
  • server restarts only on ingame midnight

Now restart should not add or remove any loot and if crash sites etc. are moved they should still keep the old state (so a recently looted crashsite will still be a recently looted crashsite after restart) to avoid having an artificial "early bird advantage" for playing right after midnight.

I think the best calibration would be:

• real life timeflow (1 minute in real life = 1 minute ingame)
  • ingame time should be based on real time where the server is located minus 6 hours (so it would be noon/afternoon when most people are active and restarts would happen when least people are active)

How do you feel about server setups? Does anyone like frequent restarts? What do you think about time skipping? Am I the only one thinking this way?

*For the first time might include going online after a new update. Thats when setting server time and speed should be possible.

Since the server are restarted after x hours by the provider atm there is nothing much to do.

The configuration sucks ball since BI does not allow server access and proper rcon tools.

(That kills being able to admin a server properly as well)

If things where different I would tell you to rent your own server then instead of telling other to do what you want

Edited by Rauchsauger

Although we are limited by auto restarts by the GSP's currently, admins can change the time of day in game upon restart. Meaning, instead of just setting and forgetting they could actually have a day/night cycle if they chose to have one.

Many just choose to set, forget and not use what tools we currently have; which are not many; to the best of their ability.

As it stands right now they have to be restarted to generate loot, you have all been to the server that had no gear on it you did say there long? If this were true of the experimental servers that are not spawning loot would still be populated, people will not come to the servers that spawn no loot, once it's fixed I'm sure that this will be taken care of and people over let their servers run a longer cycle I know that our server will run 24/7 if it doesn't need to be restarted.