Sign in to follow this  
alexanderdalgard

Map and compass

I think it would be great if the map and compass worked together when i have both.
If you have the map in you hands, and can look at it by hitting space button. You could also have the compass in the right upper corner.

I think there are more players who would appreciate a update on the map & compass =)

Maybe you could trow in a GPS? There could still be some GPs satellites working in space ;-) 

The player marking on your map is maybe to easy for players. BUT! if you could combine your compass and map, and mark your position.

players could maybe get to see his/her's position for a while following a set route to a specific location.
After you have arrived, the marker disappears.

• Like 6

Daww...welcome

( i support this notion to the fullness and many other threads do)

Edited by Trizzo

I'd settle for a little directional info on the hud if you possess a compass.  if the compass is damaged, that directional info could be a little off.

it's dumb having to completely stow (or drop) your weapon to pull out a tiny compass.

• Like 1

We need a single map instead of having to combine a bunch of maps. Like the OP said, if you have the compass already, when the map open there should be a directional icon.

Edited by Schweinsteiger

the only reason for me having a map would be if it would show my position ingame in combination with the compass

the compass itself is the most usefull thing you can find in residential spawns imo, but with steam overlay and dayzdb.com... the map is just wated space

Just a tip, you can inspect the compass in your inventory and see direction, without having to pull it out.

• Like 3

I think it would be great if the map and compass worked together when i have both.

If you have the map in you hands, and can look at it by hitting space button. You could also have the compass in the right upper corner.

It would be great with a working compass with map. But they need to rework the compass if that is going to work. If anyone havent noticed yet the compass in dayz isnt pointing straight forward...its slightly to the left if I remember correct. So u have the compass needle pointing straight but the charcter is holding the compass wrong. U would end off course if u held the compass like that.

Whoever created the compass in dayz never used one...thats for sure.

And to make the compass with map to have a meaning u also would have to remove our ability to walk in a straight line. Its the whole point of using a compass with a map...take out a course with the compass and then get to the nearest point of interest. If u can walk in a 100% straight line there is no need to use the compass to make sure u move in a straight line through the landscape.

Edited by svisketyggeren

Map and compass seem fine to me. Use the map to orient yourself with landmarks. If you're in the woods or somehow lose track of your direction pull out the compass and shoot for whatever waypoint you've given yourself. I only use the in-game map, so finding the pieces and assembling the full one is one of my more fun early "quests" as a new spawn.

Map and compass seem fine to me. Use the map to orient yourself with landmarks. If you're in the woods or somehow lose track of your direction pull out the compass and shoot for whatever waypoint you've given yourself. I only use the in-game map, so finding the pieces and assembling the full one is one of my more fun early "quests" as a new spawn.

I have never bothered obtaining all the map parts. Does the game allow you to see the map in full once you have obtained all the parts? Or do you still have to view them each singularly.

Edited by huf757

I have never bothered obtaining all the map parts. Does the game allow you to see the map in full once you have obtained all the parts?

Yep, if you're lucky you'll find one of the halves first (N, S, E, W) then you only needed the opposite half to complete it. But you can also get the other half by combining a NW and SW for W, for example.

It would be great with a working compass with map. But they need to rework the compass if that is going to work. If anyone havent noticed yet the compass in dayz isnt pointing straight forward...its slightly to the left if I remember correct. So u have the compass needle pointing straight but the charcter is holding the compass wrong. U would end off course if u held the compass like that.

Whoever created the compass in dayz never used one...thats for sure.

And to make the compass with map to have a meaning u also would have to remove our ability to walk in a straight line. Its the whole point of using a compass with a map...take out a course with the compass and then get to the nearest point of interest. If u can walk in a 100% straight line there is no need to use the compass to make sure u move in a straight line through the landscape.

You kind of hinted in the upper part of the post, but when navigating I just use the compass to give me a bearing then move in that direction.  You move in a straight line in RL too, but that's being pedantic (i'm guessing you're talking about the ease of taking your hand off the mouse and pressing W), there's also frequent times in DayZ where you'll need to take a course-correction to avoid obstacles, or if you're not religously following your bearing.

IRL, in a smaller zone I use compass to give me bearing, identify landmarks to map that are in that bearing and then make tracks for the landmark.  You shouldn't be walking with your compass out for extended periods of time unless you're skeptical of accuracy/EM interference in an area (of which there is 0 in dayz i think).  Also, as far as compass and map are concerned, yeah if you want an accurate bearing get out the protractor/compass, but just eyeballing the bearing then taking a rough estimate and equating that to the compass in hand is all you should really need.  Unless you're transporting organs the extra 5 minutes travel time (unless you really fkd it up) isn't the worst inconvenience... I gravitate towards my targets fairly well but then i've got pretty good map knowledge and experience.

IMO, you should either be able to see plan-view of compass with a hotkey doubletap as in Arma (doubleK) or you should need to bring the bastard up to eye level and aim through the sight to get your bearing, or both. 

Also, as has been mentioned, you can keep your gun up and look at compass by Inventory(TAB)>Rclick Compass>Inspect compass (while cover is open) and the graphic on the tool-tip will display correct bearing at time of inspection. 

DayZdb map and other sat-maps are only useful for correlating texture to location, maybe also for ID'ing cryllic/town names, and even then you need a general idea of where you are.

The in-game map has an advantage in that it: a) tells you players on server ; B) allows you to use your sound to remain aware of threats that may approach ; c) is arguably more accurate/helpful due to topographic contours.  If you know your bearing and can identify terrain, the in-game map is perfect. 

The only real draw-back is that it requires piecing together but i enjoy the challenge.  Map is broken into quadrants which are broken into halves respectively.  Combine relevant halves>quadrants>map.

Edited by q.S Sachiel

I miss the abillity to plant markers on maps to guide you by having a map and a compass, find it a bit annoying have to tumble about constant being aware of where i am and if not having to find my way.

Map is broken into quadrants which are broken into halves respectively.  Combine relevant halves>quadrants>map.

The map is broken into quadrants, which you combine into halves to make the whole.

The map is broken into quadrants, which you combine into halves to make the whole.

I was saying that each quadrant is made from two components, and the quadrants combine to form the whole. but basically yes.

Edited by q.S Sachiel

Just a tip, you can inspect the compass in your inventory and see direction, without having to pull it out.

mind-blown-classic.gif

I was saying that each quadrant is made from two components, and the quadrants combine to form the whole. but basically yes.

No, each half is made from two quandrants. A quadrant is a 4th of a whole, hence the root quad. The North West Quadrant and the South West Quadrant combine to make the Western Half, etc.

To be honest, it's better to leave the map in smaller pieces, if you have the inventory space. The full map doesn't zoom in as far so you can't see as much detail as on the half/quarter pieces.