c00lface

Whats the optimal playercount in your opinion?

Optimal Player slots per server  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How many slots per server do you want?

• Its alright at the moment (40)
    • Around 60-80
    • Around 100-120
    • Around 120-150
    • +150 (the more the merrier!)
    • Around 40-60

Got some nice debate going on with some friend and I wonder what would be the general agreement

Edited by PacificForPeace

I'd say 70-80.

40 is too few, and any more than 80 would have people tripping over one another in Chernarus. Encountering another player in a post-apocalyptic world is, in my opinion, intended to be a fairly rare occurrence. If we flood the servers with players, we'll lose that "holy shit" feeling when we find ourselves running into someone else.

Just my two cents.

• Like 3

gee I would play it even if it were single player with 10k zeds on the map - in fact I might enjoy that more than multiplayer as the ingame community sux. I still don't play CoD or Bf4 and I still don't want to.

• Like 1

I'd say 70-80.

40 is too few, and any more than 80 would have people tripping over one another in Chernarus. Encountering another player in a post-apocalyptic world is, in my opinion, intended to be a fairly rare occurrence. If we flood the servers with players, we'll lose that "holy shit" feeling when we find ourselves running into someone else.

Just my two cents.

I'm all in for options. If there was 150 slots servers, it would be pure chaos ofc, but some people might enjoy that, and you could always stick to low pop servers and enjoy that experience. I think less than 100 players is just not enough, Chernarus is pretty goddamn big and the devs are still going to add more cities and towns

Why isn't 50-60 an option? Considering we are gonna make camps around the world. Everything around 40-60 should be just fine. More than that camps won't be useful and the game will turn into Battlefield w/zombies.

Well there's optimal and acceptable.

Optimal? Probably 70-100.

Acceptable to me? 80-120.

I think folks really overestimate how big Chernarus is. Once vehicles get implemented, persistent storage gets ironed out and bolstered, player construction gets added, zombies become a reasonable threat, and the loot has been tweaked to provide for some semblance of player mobility, I think Chernarus will be shrinking for a lot of people.

To say nothing of the fact that the wilderness of Chernarus has been marginalized, drastically, from the mod (especially in the north, which made up the bulk of the wilderness in vanilla Chernarus). Which essentially forces players to bump into one another more frequently.

And please, don't come at me with the non-argument of "Well of course the wilderness shrunk! We have many new building interiors, so the map is bigger!" Doesn't matter if a player is inside a building or next to an un-enterable box, that player is still there.

So, if people thought they encountered folks a lot in the mod... buckle up. Because the second they allow for an increased player count per server, it's going to be a clusterfuck in Chernarus+ without some mitigating factors.

Luckily, there are a few glimmers of hope. If player-configured camouflage options for persistent structures/vehicles, dynamic weather, and lockable doors get implemented... then we may see some improvements. But short of expanding the map and/or giving the player a tangible method of camouflaging his/her stuff, I don't really see how more players and persistent vehicles/structures/storage can be accommodated without it becoming useless due to the increased likelihood of discovery.

That, and the fact that our characters run at 30 kph (IIRC) currently. Whereas they ran at 18 kph (IIRC) in the mod. People also underestimate this factor in deeming how large Chernarus feels. It's shrunk greatly, relative to the individual player, because he/she can run places faster (i.e. one step goes further).

EDIT - Also (and this is detrimental for other reasons) the fact that the overall playerbase is spread out over a massively over-allocated number of servers is a potential mitigating factor. Rather than having 1 server for 100 total players, we've got 100 servers for every 1 player (hyperbolic example).

Edited by Katana67

Why isn't 50-60 an option? Considering we are gonna make camps around the world. Everything around 40-60 should be just fine. More than that camps won't be useful and the game will turn into Battlefield w/zombies.

Alright, edited

gee I would play it even if it were single player with 10k zeds on the map - in fact I might enjoy that more than multiplayer as the ingame community sux. I still don't play CoD or Bf4 and I still don't want to.

Ingame community sucks but forum community is one of the worst i have ever seen to, with some exceptions of course!

I don't even want to think about what Berezino would be like on a 150 player server.

Actually on server restart, It would probably look something like this:

• Like 1

honestly, everyone has their moods on each day and play styles,

there could be several player number servers, some with the maximum player count, others with low and others with the médium, everyone is happy then!!

I'm all in for options. If there was 150 slots servers, it would be pure chaos ofc, but some people might enjoy that, and you could always stick to low pop servers and enjoy that experience. I think less than 100 players is just not enough, Chernarus is pretty goddamn big and the devs are still going to add more cities and towns

Haha all three airfields will be full of players. With the old Chernarus things got pretty hectic when we were 50 players on the server. All the hot spots were occupied by players. There was only a very few places where it was a bit quiet, like the small town Gvozdno which was in very north of the map. With 100 players all the military areas will be very crowded. Which makes it harder to get geared on high pop servers. Might be fun, but i'm afraid that you will stumble on ppl everywhere since everyone gonna look around for heli crash and make camps near border of the map. I bet the camps won't stay hidden for very long either. But if you wanna play deathmatch 100-150 players should be enough.

Haha all three airfields will be full of players. With the old Chernarus things got pretty hectic when we were 50 players on the server. All the hot spots were occupied by players. There was only a very few places where it was a bit quiet, like the small town Gvozdno which was in very north of the map. With 100 players all the military areas will be very crowded. Which makes it harder to get geared on high pop servers. Might be fun, but i'm afraid that you will stumble on ppl everywhere since everyone gonna look around for heli crash and make camps near border of the map. I bet the camps won't stay hidden for very long either. But if you wanna play deathmatch 100-150 players should be enough.

But again this is not the mod, the map is being expanded, and hopefully when the game is completed and balanced, there will be more reasons to focus on survival rather than pvp. Many people blame the player base for being total dickheads kosing everyone, but fail to realize that this partially happens because of the lack of endgame content, reasons to team up with strangers and off course the broken PvE mechanics.

Also I think you are exaggerating, I used to play overwatch a lot (they have 80 slots servers) and If you moved away from the spawn points you could run around and see nobody. As someone already said, people overestimate the size of Chernarus

But again this is not the mod, the map is being expanded, and hopefully when the game is completed and balanced, there will be more reasons to focus on survival rather than pvp. Many people blame the player base for being total dickheads kosing everyone, but fail to realize that this partially happens because of the lack of endgame content, reasons to team up with strangers and off course the broken PvE mechanics.

Also I think you are exaggerating, I used to play overwatch a lot (they have 80 slots servers) and If you moved away from the spawn points you could run around and see nobody. As someone already said, people underestimate the size of Chernarus

I said they overestimate it. It won't be that big when all the white space is filled in by cities, players, fields, and persistent structures.

Server player limits are one piece of the puzzle. What about the 500 or so (again, an example, I have no idea what the actual statistics would be) players who are regulars on a particular server? It's not just the 100 player limit you've got to contend with, but the fact that 500 players are fluxing in and out of the server at any given time, that's 500 log-ins in 500 different locations.

And they aren't expanding the map's overall surface area (or at least don't plan on it at this time). They really misused the word "expand" in that they meant "enhance" via the addition of more cities and the like. They've said that actually expanding the borders of the map is unfeasible, due to how objects relate to one another in the world.

I encountered people all effing day in the wilderness in the mod. All day. So, now that it's been marginalized, once I actually have a reason to go back to the wilderness (to raid tents and steal vehicles) I suspect it'll be all the more crowded.

I said they overestimate it. It won't be that big when all the white space is filled in by cities, players, fields, and persistent structures.

Server player limits are one piece of the puzzle. What about the 500 or so (again, an example, I have no idea what the actual statistics would be) players who are regulars on a particular server? It's not just the 100 player limit you've got to contend with, but the fact that 500 players are fluxing in and out of the server at any given time, that's 500 log-ins in 500 different locations.

And they aren't expanding the map's overall surface area (or at least don't plan on it at this time). They really misused the word "expand" in that they meant "enhance" via the addition of more cities and the like. They've said that actually expanding the borders of the map is unfeasible, due to how objects relate to one another in the world.

I encountered people all effing day in the wilderness in the mod. All day. So, now that it's been marginalized, once I actually have a reason to go back to the wilderness (to raid tents and steal vehicles) I suspect it'll be all the more crowded.

Yeah I made an spelling mistake, my bad, I actually agree with what you said.

But its funny how many people think that when the game gets fully released it will still be berezino deathmatch. Yeah, thats an important aspect for a huge portion of the playerbase, but again, when more content and features are added and the overall gameplay gets balanced it will be a different story. Or at least I want to believe that

Yeah I made an spelling mistake, my bad, I actually agree with what you said.

But its funny how many people think that when the game gets fully released it will still be berezino deathmatch. Yeah, thats an important aspect for a huge portion of the playerbase, but again, when more content and features are added and the overall gameplay gets balanced it will be a different story. Or at least I want to believe that

I'm not really concerned with the deathmatching on the coast. That will always be there, in my opinion, although there are steps that can be taken to mitigate it (i.e. loot bias inland, higher zombie counts in cities, unforgiving zombie aggro when firing weapons, etc.). And in fact, I'd posit that it should always be a clusterfuck on the coast to an extent. It only becomes a problem when that's all people ever do.

My concern, is with what a higher player count will do to the wilderness (and to a slightly lesser extent, the map overall). More players in the same area means more people bumping into one another. It means more people finding my tent. It means more people at high-value locations. All of which, are already pretty likely to happen anyway with the current player limits. And in a game which has persistent storage, I feel that those who choose to isolate themselves will need some significant love from the developers should they choose to up the player counts.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

Just FYI. Rocket has already said they will support up to at least 150 players per server, but server owners are not limited to 150 as they will have the option to go higher. But 150 will be there goal to optimize the server to hold. Lastly I prefer variety. Once public and private shards come out they'll have the power to change it so I'm sure you'll see anywhere from 40 player servers to 150+ player servers. :)

Just FYI. Rocket has already said they will support up to at least 150 players per server, but server owners are not limited to 150 as they will have the option to go higher. But 150 will be there goal to optimize the server to hold. Lastly I prefer variety. Once public and private shards come out they'll have the power to change it so I'm sure you'll see anywhere from 40 player servers to 150+ player servers. :)

Yes but that was long ago before release, and If I remember right he said the server could handle 150 players implying that there is no loot, respawning loot and zombies, things that have a huge impact on server performance. I might be wrong tho

Also I think you are exaggerating, I used to play overwatch a lot (they have 80 slots servers) and If you moved away from the spawn points you could run around and see nobody. As someone already said, people overestimate the size of Chernarus

They never expanded the map, they just added stuff into the map and took away some trees.  :|