Sign in to follow this  
Helix2000

Random Deaths

so after re spawning in berezino after a firefight at the NWAF, i headed south to electro, but that is no the important bit. when i got to Balota, around 15 min after a server restart, i found the place looted. i was there to find some mags and ammo for my 1911. when i went to the top floor of the ATC, i suddenly got the "you are dead" message, with a "my leg is in pain" messsage at the same time...

anyone know what happened? was i sniped from the apartments(doubt it because there was no gunshot)? Glitch? did a zombie hit me from a kilometer away? 

anyone know so i can avoid this kind of unfortunate demise in the future...

Thanks

-helix

I read in another post that it had something to do with object collision and the server reading your position wrong, so you die from falling or such.

Yep, that's been my past 10 deaths.

Avoid going upstairs in buildings and the game may be more merciful on you.

Edited by Survivor_Ted

That is stairs. Never stand on a stair, always keep moving. I just died 5min ago fully geared to a stair aswell. Firestationtower is also known to break your legs or kill you, always keep moving in there, some spots in the camobuilding do this too.

Totally agree with the above points. I just won't go upstairs now unless there's might be something I really, really need up there (like a can opener - I mean, seriously, what has happened to all the can openers?).

If I do, I make a point to keep moving, staying away from edges and walls as far as possible, and not doing anything while I'm up there that involves standing still (eg eating, bandaging, reloading, inventory tetris, etc).

Yeah sounds like a glitch, stay away from stairs or walls on upper floors.

I would say it could definitely be either...In fact, the two geared characters I've had both died at the NWAF and it seemed to be via both ways mentioned.  First, I was atop the ATC at NWAF and drank a soda to make room for my magnum rounds for the magnum I just found downstairs, all of a sudden my legs were broken, I was bleeding and unconscious and then died...I was the only person on the server.  Then, about a week later, there was a downed heli in the middle of the NWAF (which was odd, as they usually spawn in the field at the end of the runway or in the field just outside THAT field) so I ran over, looted it and went back towards the hangars when suddenly I hear the sound it makes when you chop a zombie and my screen was black and I was again, knocked out.  I woke up, got up and knocked out again then died...It honestly could be either.  Roofs and stairs seem glitchy, but there are also tons of no-life, losers who sit and camp the airfields on lowpop servers, for hours on end hoping and praying that one of the few people who join will roll thru just trying to play the game, so he can satisfy his inner nerd and damaged ego due his immense shortcomings in life (probably a little dong), because he'd be instantly raped on a med/highpop server and needs to feel relevant.  Point being, don't make yourself noticable and don't stand in one spot for too long at ANY airfield or high loot area, regardless of server population.

Also, for what it's worth, that death was the ONLY time I've ever had a problem with being upstairs...Other than that, I've never had a glitch or bug kill me from being upstairs in a building.  And I go upstairs in EVERY building I go in, just sayin.  Maybe I'm lucky...

Never died that way in those locations. I was at the tent city in Balota and died climbing down a ladder. The server started going crazy at the same time I was on the ladder. Seems like I only die when I'm all geared up and ready to rock and roll.

Common glitches that I have found to cause death, and correct me if they have been patched, are the following:

-About a 20% chance of dying when looting the ATC Tower

-A 10% chance you will die when you pick up a Mosin

-Occasionally, a zombie WILL one shot you, maybe a 5% chance.

-5% chance its a server glitch, whether problems connecting to the data base or restoring your character

-5% you will get killed if you log in a spot where a zombie could hit you in your 15 second wait before fully despawning. 

It's not just the ATC tower. It's the second floors of barns, the fire station tower (where my beautifully kitted char died last night - really should have known better), the building site upper floors, and almost anywhere that involves being above ground. My past four deaths have happened this way.

I don't think I'll bother with DayZ again until after the 0.49 wipe. :(