Death By Crowbar

Epic long snipe attempt...

So I'm in Polana (had just ran into a bunch of teleporters on "Grey Matter LOOT LOOT LOOT 24/7 DAY 124737" and logged instead into "#Royal22e.com Serveur [R22R] Quebec/Montreal", another high pop server, think it was 38/40 when I joined). I'm around the fire station dealing with a zed and I run into the invisible zed issue, it's beating me senseless and I can't see it so I retreat up both ladders on the fire station to the top and bandage then go prone and start eating (my vision had gone a little fuzzy). I eat and I eat, and after a bit I'm healing.

Good. I take a second to check something on my phone when I hear that gun go off that sounds like a glorified potato gun (I've never found one, for the life of me I don't know what it's called either, no gun I've found sounds like that). Pah-ching! Misses! Holy hell, I'm on the top of the firestation prone, there's no other buildings in Polana high enough to snipe me from! ... errr, wait, there's the industrial / grain towers in Novo that someone might be able to reach from with an LRS. F!

I scramble down the first ladder dancing up and down as I go, he keeps missing, by what seems just a foot here or there. I get down the top ladder, race across the roof, and get down the second ladder. He must not be able to see me anymore. Phew!

... but I've gotta know, where exactly IS he?

I wait a bit, then navigate to where I have a vantage that's unsuspecting and break out my binoculars. I'm looking, looking, looking. Then I see someone on the rocks, WAAAAAY out to the right of Novo. It's gotta be the sniper (wish i'd gotten a screenshot through the binoculars of him). The Mosin with LRS can reach 800 meters, can it not? This guy put in an epic attempt if I'm looking at this correctly.

wa11fl.jpg

If only I had an LRS for my Mosin to make a game out of it... Moral of the story is, I always say never assume you're alone, and apparently when someone has an LRS never assume there's not cross hairs on you from another TOWN!

• Like 2

Wow, holy crap man. Thanks for sharing.

So you are sure from looking in binocualrs he had a mosin and lrs? That is a far shot. I've never attempted a shot over 600 on a player. I'm still a pretty bad shot in DayZ if a player is moving. At 800 or over, I would be amazed a moving player can be shot. And I'm just impressed that the game even allows a bullet to register that far and hit something. I guess the game works better than I realize sometimes.

Well, a detail I neglected to mention was to deal with the invisible zed I had to get behind a closed door and on a 2nd floor and camp and re-join the server. He could have moved in the minute that took but I doubt it. It was the only person I could see in a location where they could see me on the firestation roof.

Thanks again for sharing. It makes it interesting when we share our stories since everyone experiences their own game and story line.

• Like 1

You're going to confuse people calling it Polana. That's Chernaya-Polana if I remember correctly or The CP.

• Like 2

You're going to confuse people calling it Polana. That's Chernaya-Polana if I remember correctly or The CP.

Yeah you're right. I call half the things the wrong name. It is Cernaya Polana, The CP, you're right, not the plain "Polana".

I've often contemplated that shot before myself, seems doable enough. I popped a guy at NEAF one morning at just over 700 meters while he was dancing with a zed. big problem with the rocks shot is getting spotted from the clock tower or factory towers as those locations are close enough to hear the shots from and can be covered with a lesser rifle and scope. of course I could also just suffer from a bit of sniper paranoia....

I practice shooting at 1200m so sub 800 is not that hard.

Let's see a video.

• Like 3

I practice shooting at 1200m so sub 800 is not that hard.

The network bubble is only 1000m, so I dunno what you're shooting at beyond that =P

I do agree though, I like going for long range shots, the longer the better.  It's more fun.  It's unfortunate that the bubble is only 1km, because the visibility in the SA is excellent compared to the mod, where you were capable of shooting much further.

The thing about arma in general is on a stationary target it doesn't really matter what the distance is, because besides bullet drop there's no other factors.  So if you get your zeroing right there's no difference between shooting some one at say 100m and 1000m.  Of course, moving targets are a different beast, and I like to try because I don't believe you improve by only taking the easy ones.

The network bubble is only 1000m, so I dunno what you're shooting at beyond that =P

I do agree though, I like going for long range shots, the longer the better.  It's more fun.  It's unfortunate that the bubble is only 1km, because the visibility in the SA is excellent compared to the mod, where you were capable of shooting much further.

The thing about arma in general is on a stationary target it doesn't really matter what the distance is, because besides bullet drop there's no other factors.  So if you get your zeroing right there's no difference between shooting some one at say 100m and 1000m.  Of course, moving targets are a different beast, and I like to try because I don't believe you improve by only taking the easy ones.

Bullet velocity? That's what makes a moving target hard to time at long distance.  Bullet drop is easy to manage.

Bullet velocity? That's what makes a moving target hard to time at long distance.  Bullet drop is easy to manage.

Right.  My mistake for excluding it.