TheWizard14

Do you think the LRS will be removed from Mosin when...

Do you think the Long Range Scope will be removed as a functioning scope on the rifle once a real more-modern rifle that actually uses it gets implemented to the game?

Personally the way I see it is that the only reason the LRS is on the mosin is for testing purposes until another rifle comes out that uses it. 

Hopefully once another "sniper" gun comes out that uses it, the scope will no longer be used on the mosin. 

1. It looks stupid and ugly on the mosin.

2. It's unrealistic on the Mosin and the scope just completely just took a shit on where the bolt lever is located.

• Like 1

I hope so, it's not really necessary for sniping if they fix the PU scope's zoom, and allow the PU to range up to 800 as the irl model would (it can go up to 2000). 

I would have thought the carbine would take the LRS, but apparently not yet. Hopefully a remington 700/r700 variant makes it in game, OR the sv-98, as that's a beautiful and under represented gun outside of the battlefield series. 

edit- both the m24 and the sv-98 should be in game.

Edited by Capo

mosin PU was built factory made.

I'm sure you could find a compatable LRS from the time, as well as any hypothetically modified mosin that allows for modern LRS.

Not sure why it's unrealistic, but as for the aesthetic, this can be changed, or some people will just always be against it.

I like the mosin with/without LRS and i'd like to see it stay on personally.

Pretty sure i also read that the mosin's stock reticules allow for ranging up to 1000m...

Edited by q.S Sachiel

I hope so, it's not really necessary for sniping if they fix the PU scope's zoom, and allow the PU to range up to 800 as the irl model would (it can go up to 2000). 

I would have thought the carbine would take the LRS, but apparently not yet. Hopefully a remington 700/r700 variant makes it in game, OR the sv-98, as that's a beautiful and under represented gun outside of the battlefield series. 

edit- both the m24 and the sv-98 should be in game.

I'd wager they'd go for more hunting/civilian-oriented guns for mounting scopes before going for the super tacticool sniper rifles.

People do mount off-the-shelf scopes to Mosin models all the time, though. I would expect that to be common in a region where Mosins have been laying around for over a century.

Pretty sure i also read that the mosin's stock reticules allow for ranging up to 1000m...

Most 91/30s have iron sights with markings that go up to 2000m. Not that it's very practical, as you're basically holding it pointing at a fairly upward angle.

Edited by Grindstone

mosin PU was built factory made.

I'm sure you could find a compatable LRS from the time, as well as any hypothetically modified mosin that allows for modern LRS.

Not sure why it's unrealistic, but as for the aesthetic, this can be changed, or some people will just always be against it.

I like the mosin with/without LRS and i'd like to see it stay on personally.

Well I don't really like the "tacticool" feeling of it, and I like the more traditional scope.

Why shouldn't a genuine Mosin compatible scope be attachable to a Mosin any more when other sniper rifles and their scopes are brought in? The devs just should see how a RL Mosin scope is attached to a Mosin and make the bolt lever not clip into. That's all.

I don't get the whole 'tacticool' bit.  It's not like it's a varmint FXXXXxxXX790 super deluxe scope with Ir, Laser pointer and inbuilt shot-camera.

I get where you're going, and it would appear you prefer a more rustic approach to dayz, but at the end of the day, it's just a powerful magnification lens.

depending on where you are in the world, you can pick up decent high-powered magnification scopes for under $400.00.  I see nothing particularly unrealistic or unaesthetic about it personally, but again, horses for courses.

I'm interested to see whether private shards will allow for item/weapon restrictions (and i hate that shit in most games) because this may cover your itch so to speak.

I think they should remove the LRS from mosin, or make it so that you need some sort of mount before you can attach the LRS. But in my oppinion a even more valid choice for the LRS should be the CR527 since to me it looks like that it already has a mount for a scope, as shown in the picture below.

XM2RuAU.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, I think they will remove it and make the mosin the civilian sniper.  Here I am, just waiting for the SVD...

Most 91/30s have iron sights with markings that go up to 2000m. Not that it's very practical, as you're basically holding it pointing at a fairly upward angle.

Keep in mind the rifle was designed and produced far back enough to be a volume fired weapon where if you have enough people aiming at something decently far away a couple guys are going to hit. Give a couple hundred potato farmers a rifle and tell them to hit those guys over there together.

Why shouldn't a genuine Mosin compatible scope be attachable to a Mosin any more when other sniper rifles and their scopes are brought in?

The genuine scope is the PU. You'd have to drill and tap the rifle to mount the LRS on it while if you have a mosin with a bent bolt (the standards are straight) you're likely going to have a sidemounted PU ready rifle.

• Like 1

I believe it will.

Not only because of realism reasons but because of gameplay reasons.

The mosin should be a low tier weapon with little to no customization it should be the lee enfield of stand alone.

Readily found yet barebones and restricted to iron sights and a very rare pu scope that is occasionally found.

If they add a proper bolt action hunting rifle Such as a Remington 700 or a Cz 550 then I fully expect them to remove the LRS from the mosin.

• Like 1

Could go either way but I'm slightly skeptical considering they just added camo wraps for the thing.

• Like 1

I think they should remove the LRS from mosin, or make it so that you need some sort of mount before you can attach the LRS. But in my oppinion a even more valid choice for the LRS should be the CR527 since to me it looks like that it already has a mount for a scope, as shown in the picture below.

XM2RuAU.jpg

The Blaze 95 also has "rails" or places to mount an optic on, but nothing was implemented in the 6 months...

Blaser-d99.jpg

htvnlsnn8lhi.png

Edited by irishroy
  • Like 3

In reality the Mosin-Nagant Model 1891/30 sniper rifle is below average when compared with other rifles of its era as a sniper weapon. Weapons like:

•The U.S. Springfield Model 03-A3 bolt action Sniper rifle,

•The Enfield  MK4 sniper rifle,

•The K98 sniper rifle are all superior.

The Russian snipers  complained about the weapon's excessive length and weight, and their poor quality wooden stocks that were prone to warping. However, the Mosin-Nagant 1938 and 1944 carbines fitted with PU scopes were a great deal more suitable.    

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/7482/8787532_1.jpg?v=8CC7EC18F507540

http://www.deactivated-guns.co.uk/images/uploads/4NOT/4NOT-011823.jpg

http://k98k.com/pictures/DSC_0068.jpg

http://webspace.webring.com/people/uh/holderoftheblade/ww2/mosin_scope.jpg

However there is no reason in the world why they shouldn't retain the LRS for the Mosin-Nagant since so many of those have been modified to take a better scope than the PU.

I would like to see them allow the mounting a scope like one fitted to the Longhorn on the CZ527 and allow the shooter to select 100m, 200m, 300m, 400m & 500m zeros via Page Up and Page Down for the weapon.  

Edited by Xbow

I hope they keep it.

It is pretty convenient to scout out villages before entering and gives a nice reach for discouraging others from entering a perimeter 

The Blaze 95 also has "rails" or places to mount an optic on, but nothing was implemented in the 6 months...

Blaser-d99.jpg

htvnlsnn8lhi.png

Hmm... I never noticed this, very interesting. I would definetly like to see different kind of "civilian sniper rifles" being implemented, so tha the players could have a choice between weapons they chooce to take. For example, if they'd enable the LRS scope for the CR527, then it would be a valid option for as a sniper rifle with its own pros and cons.

Mosin would be more effective because of the larger caliber, but on the other hand it's longer thus harder to conseal and the 7.62x51 is slightly less common than the 7,62x39.

Which would bring me to the pros of the CR527, since it uses the 7,62x39 it would be more ideal solution as a DMR for a squad if all the other squad members would be using either AKM or SKS. Ofcourse in the current state the ammo isn't such a big problem because you can find it everywhere, but still, a slight advantage over the mosin. Also the CR527 is faster to reload because of its magazine which is fairly common unlike the mosin clip which, from my own experience, seems to be extremely rare.

The pros of the Blaze would be the double barrel. On closer ranges this would give you an advantage over the mosin and CR which both are bolt action. And the reloading would also be pretty fast if you have the snaploaders, which are not too hard to find.

These are the kind of choices I would like to see in DayZ so that there wouldn't be just "the one gun" to use.

• Like 1

Why would you remove the LRS from Mosin? It has already been weakened in the damage department. I really do not think that anyone can keep standing after that 7mm hits the chest, even with a heavy millitary vest on.

Now it takes 2 shots to the chest to kill someone and sometimes even 4 depending on the layers of protection. Why cripple the Mosin even more by removing LRS from it.

Why would you remove the LRS from Mosin? It has already been weakened in the damage department. I really do not think that anyone can keep standing after that 7mm hits the chest, even with a heavy millitary vest on.

Now it takes 2 shots to the chest to kill someone and sometimes even 4 depending on the layers of protection. Why cripple the Mosin even more by removing LRS from it.

There is no vest in the game that should be able to defeat the Mosin's 7.62 x54R at anything under 800m. A centered thorax hit from any full powered military cartridge should be an almost instantaneous death sentence.  At 800m the 7.62 x 54R is packing 1280fps andf 635ftlbs of energy..That's almost as nasty as getting hit by a .200 grain 44 magnum slug at 1 meter. Lights out.  

Edited by Xbow
  • Like 1

Do you think the Long Range Scope will be removed as a functioning scope on the rifle once a real more-modern rifle that actually uses it gets implemented to the game?

Personally the way I see it is that the only reason the LRS is on the mosin is for testing purposes until another rifle comes out that uses it. 

Hopefully once another "sniper" gun comes out that uses it, the scope will no longer be used on the mosin. 

1. It looks stupid and ugly on the mosin.

2. It's unrealistic on the Mosin and the scope just completely just took a shit on where the bolt lever is located.

This is precisely our current plan for the same reasons you just stated.

The blase has something like divots in its barrel which allows for attachment of a saddle mount - a type of mount which cannot be used on any other of our guns. That means the only way to satisfy the 'realism' junkies is to create a specific Blaze scope which can't be used on any other weapon.  Alternatively we introduce a generic 'scope' and then make people find the exact mount they need to attach to a given rifle and craft them together, which is a lot more work involving both the art and design team and has the end result of making it easier for there to be more leet snip0rs killing other players at long range - something we're not interested in encouraging at the moment.  

Its not something we'll permanently ignore - its just not a high priority right now.

• Like 4

I'm fine with this, the PU scope feels more "right" on the Mosin anyway. Using the mosin as a sniper always feels a bit strange to a Red Orchestra vet like me. To me, it's my assault rifleman weapon which kills as many with the bayonet as the boom bit. (speaking of which... bayonet functionality...)

Edited by Ebrim
  • Like 1

Isnt the SVD supposed to essentially replace the Mosin as the sniper (albeit far rarer)

The blase has something like divots in its barrel which allows for attachment of a saddle mount - a type of mount which cannot be used on any other of our guns. That means the only way to satisfy the 'realism' junkies is to create a specific Blaze scope which can't be used on any other weapon.  Alternatively we introduce a generic 'scope' and then make people find the exact mount they need to attach to a given rifle and craft them together, which is a lot more work involving both the art and design team and has the end result of making it easier for there to be more leet snip0rs killing other players at long range - something we're not interested in encouraging at the moment.  

Its not something we'll permanently ignore - its just not a high priority right now.

While one side of me wants you to screw the "realism"-freaks, and just give the CZ527 and Blaze 95 (especially the Blaze) a damn optic ASAP, I also understand your thoughts behind that ;)

Actually, I'm quite happy that the problem of (long-range-)-KoS is always kept in mind by you guys

(But of course I have to say, giving the B95 an optic wouldn't be as "dangerous" for the weapon-balance/KoS, as giving a 75-rounds-magazine +bipod to the AKM, which makes the AKM basically as accurate as the Mosin (Moisn has 0.001 dispersion, AKM with AK-buttstock, plastic-hadguard+bipod has 0.0009)

AChance.jpeg

tumblr_mvxazs3BCk1rnq0vfo1_400.gif

Edited by irishroy

Blaser-d99.jpg

htvnlsnn8lhi.png

This is actually a very good point, Roy. I think it would make perfect sense to remove the LRS from the Mosin (for both gameplay & "realism" purposes), & then add the LRS to the Blaze rifle. Especially considering that they both take the same ammo.

This way, when players are deciding which gun to roll with (between the Mosin & Blaze), they'll need to consider which caters to their play style more effectively.

Would the player rather have the higher-capacity, less dispersive Mosin in sacrifice for not being able to use a LRS?

Or would the player favor the LRS on the Blaze rifle although it is has more dispersion, & holds fewer rounds?

I think it would be a great change for the game. Weapons overall IMO would be more "balanced". We would see the Blaze getting much more use in-game, & the Mosin a bit less.

Now I'm no weapons expert, but I did see some forum members on here mention that you CAN mount a LRS to a Mosin with the proper modification. To my understanding, a custom scope mount is needed in order to accomplish this? So why not add such an attachment in game? & maybe the tools needed to mount said scope mount? This would make players need to go through that many more steps to get the LRS onto their Mosin. If I'm wrong, someone who is more knowledgeable please correct me.

Same goes with the dispersion of both the Blaze rifle & Mosin. To my understanding the Mosin is a bit more accurate? But again, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

• Like 1