TrampledByTurtles

Wallets and Player Identification - Dog-Tags and Russian Ruble -

(Old) 9/5/2014 NEWS: Confirmation on the addition of a leather wallet, a dime bag, and cassette tapes.

For the future development of DayZ, player identification could become an important part of the user experience. This will require an action through the scroll-wheel (If that's still a thing in the future)  while looking at another player or body. To fit this into the lore of DayZ standalone, the implementation of a "wallet/purse" for all players who spawn, would fit quite well.

Contents-

The wallet would have a license with his/her picture of their character, and the player's server name, possibly with a reasonable randomly generated age, height, eye/hair color, the corresponding sex and possibly the players blood-type (Maybe a Steam profile picture?).  And to fit into the Russian atmosphere, a wallet will also hold vanity items such as, dog-tags, coins/money, maps, or notes.

Actions-

When hovering over a player the action would inquire "Check Player's Wallet" and would bring up the player's ID when selected and if they've dropped their wallet, it would prompt you with "Player has no identification". This can be dismissed or taken as hostility. When looting a player's dead or unconscious body, it would show up as an accessory, like hats or glasses, and function like a First Aid Kit, allowing the player to search what is inside.

Balancing-

The wallet would not take any space inside the players inventory, but would act as an accessory, like hats or glasses. This will hopefully negate any reason for a player to drop it.

Additional Info:

Dog-tags- Found in military spawn locations around Chernarus. Possible etching with sharp objects, like knifes and bayonets, would allow players to type their name/clan and create a personal ID. As long as the player has a sharp object in their inventory, they can keep track of their kills on the dog-tag. These can be worn around a players neck slot, stored in an inventory slot, or stored in a wallet. 

Coins/Money- Randomly spawned around the world in pockets of civilian clothing and in wallets upon spawning. Possible etching on coins with sharp objects, like knifes and bayonets, can etch different survivor currency. Paper bills can be written on with pens to create survivor bills. Implements an in-game currency for trading. Possible to throw coins to distract players and zombies. Can use bills as kindling in fire pits. Stored in an inventory slot, or stored in a wallet.

Credits to additional ideas

Mancomb

BigMike

**Removed types of currency. Unnecessarily complicated?

Edited by Zoey4Life
  • Like 8

I really like the wallet idea, though I don't know about having the STEAM profile info; I think just the in-game character info would be better (name and picture can be generated the same as the character name and model), and like you said, the other info can probably be reasonable estimated (not that it would be important enough to be extremely accurate).

As for the dog tags, it's also a neat idea, though maybe more complicated to implement. Same with the money, and I'm not sure what use the money would have, unless you use it for something other than it's intended use (lighting fires with bills, using coins as slingshot ammo, etc.).

• Like 2

Would be nice as an optional thing to do, IE if you want to RP or have your info on a lootable wallet you can fill out info in your char screen.  Money would have it's uses in game, but not so much as currency (paper to write on, kindleing to start fires, coins to throw to distract zombies, or as said above slingshot ammo, maybe even be able to craft coinshot shotgun shells).

Dogtags sound pretty cool as a lootable item, especially for PVPers, you'd need to find a blank dogtag and fill it out yourself (Name, Bloodtype, Group), you could say collect other's dog tags as a trophy.

For right now I made a sort of 'ID' using paper that I keep on my person in game.  I write my (RP) name, a fictional Company (name, employee number, ect) and even put in bloodtype when I find it.

• Like 1

Would be nice as an optional thing to do, IE if you want to RP or have your info on a lootable wallet you can fill out info in your char screen.  Money would have it's uses in game, but not so much as currency (paper to write on, kindleing to start fires, coins to throw to distract zombies, or as said above slingshot ammo, maybe even be able to craft coinshot shotgun shells).

Dogtags sound pretty cool as a lootable item, especially for PVPers, you'd need to find a blank dogtag and fill it out yourself (Name, Bloodtype, Group), you could say collect other's dog tags as a trophy.

For right now I made a sort of 'ID' using paper that I keep on my person in game.  I write my (RP) name, a fictional Company (name, employee number, ect) and even put in bloodtype when I find it.

I really like the wallet idea, though I don't know about having the STEAM profile info; I think just the in-game character info would be better (name and picture can be generated the same as the character name and model), and like you said, the other info can probably be reasonable estimated (not that it would be important enough to be extremely accurate).

As for the dog tags, it's also a neat idea, though maybe more complicated to implement. Same with the money, and I'm not sure what use the money would have, unless you use it for something other than it's intended use (lighting fires with bills, using coins as slingshot ammo, etc.).

Yes, I was hoping to go for a more RP feel for DayZ, and those suggestion for the coins and money, I'll add.

And that's really cool BigMike, I also write down my character's blood-type.

Edited by Zoey4Life

I've always liked the idea of a wallet with ID in it. I thought we were supposed to get attached to our characters instead of run off bridges and jump off buildings to get closer to gear?

I've always liked the idea of a wallet with ID in it. I thought we were supposed to get attached to our characters instead of run off bridges and jump off buildings to get closer to gear?

Exactly, might not want to kill yourself if you have O- blood type.

First of all. I doubt it would have the blood type as it'll make the blood test kit invalid. Second of all I don't think there is much functionality to a wallet. Maybe for anesthetics. And if you think about it. Very rarely in a post apocalyptic world will you think to take your wallet with you. But it would be nice to have.

First of all. I doubt it would have the blood type as it'll make the blood test kit invalid. Second of all I don't think there is much functionality to a wallet. Maybe for anesthetics. And if you think about it. Very rarely in a post apocalyptic world will you think to take your wallet with you. But it would be nice to have.

Possibly blood types. Yes for ascetics. I think if you were out and about you would have your wallet on you. 

Possibly blood types. Yes for ascetics. I think if you were out and about you would have your wallet on you. 

Not in a post apocalyptic world. Watch all the zombie movies, and how many times do you see a wallet. Lol But I wouldn't mind having it in-game. So either way.

Edited by Kronons

Most ID's you'd carry on your person won't have a blood type on them.  I myself don't even know my blood type IRL.  The Military will put a soldier's blood type on their dog tag or have it on a patch on their uniform so medics/doctors can find out right there rather than look up records or guess and kill the wounded.  Civilians not so much, for the most part our records are centralized and EMTs can access your medical records from the info on your ID (or test your blood type themselves should the need arise).

Yes, it's unlikely for someone to carry something useless like a wallet around in the end of the world.  Some people still cling to such things however, much like the idea that a shiny bar of heavy metal will be worth anything when shit hits the fan.  Most people will still take their wallet and some money with them just in case.  Some survival guides even recommend keeping some paper and coin money on yourself for emergencies.  Now it's kind of late in the game to say that any vending machines in Chenarus would be up and running, and most would say a rock or ax to the glass would suffice due to lack of coinage.  I would think most of the infected would have money on them as trash loot.  Money itself would have value, just not in the way we think of it now.

a wallet will also hold vanity items such as .. money  ..//..

yep - vanity, vanity .. !! that money stuff is just .. vanity.

Is this idea something like the diary from the Mod, in fact ?

I don't like the in-game cash trading idea, it's not part of the DayZ concept at all, is it ?

If players were spawned with dogtags, you could collect them .. on the other hand this would only encourage pvp, if it is possible to encourage pvp.

• Like 1

If players were spawned with dogtags, you could collect them .. on the other hand this would only encourage pvp, if it is possible to encourage pvp.

PvP is already encouraged. If they gave us options to check and collect dog tags a bounty system would naturally start to form on private shards which would possibly combat KoSers while not really affecting PvP.

Also, someone told me it was possible to check someone's pulse from a distance when they are still alive to see their name. If that is true, all of this wallet stuff is kinda' pointless.

Yeah, I have to agree, money as money, not something that really fits DayZ, but as I said, money has other uses, and eventually DayZ will find it's own currency as time goes on.  I can see paper money being used for kindling, notes, ect.  I would see coins as having more uses, Coin Shot shells, Sock+$5 in Cherno change = Blackjack, makeshift fuses for vehicles/houses, ect.  If certain servers/clans uses Money as the Form of currency for trading I see nothing wrong with it.  You either got it from scavenging, killing zombies, or players.  Things are only valuable because we collectively put value in them, or others put value in them.  Seeds might be worthless to the wandering Medic that carries all his gear with him, just as bandages might be more or less worthless to the Survivor that's settled down in the forest and has cultivated a plot of land to get more food.  See where I'm getting here?

*EDIT*

PvP is already encouraged. If they gave us options to check and collect dog tags a bounty system would naturally start to form on private shards which would possibly combat KoSers while not really affecting PvP.

Also, someone told me it was possible to check someone's pulse from a distance when they are still alive to see their name. If that is true, all of this wallet stuff is kinda' pointless.

There was talk of taking out the name for the pulse check.  Though I have no source to verify.

Edited by BigMike
  • Like 1

PvP is already encouraged. If they gave us options to check and collect dog tags a bounty system would naturally start to form on private shards which would possibly combat KoSers while not really affecting PvP..

well.. that's a complicated idea that doesn't really make sense at all.

But who cares about private shards anyway ?

I thought the whole idea of private shards was so the admins could throw out anyone they didn't like, such as KoSers etc, and only play with their private white-list of nice people ?

Or people who pay, etc.. ?

Or people who don't pvp the way they're told to.. whatever ..

well.. that's a complicated idea that doesn't really make sense at all.

People will start to post on the private shard boards about a particular clan or person that is KoSing others and perhaps offer compensation. Heroes on the private shards will go looking for that person. Not too complicated but it is impossible to do without unchangeable, unique player names and some way of seeing those names. 

But who cares about private shards anyway ?

I care.

I thought the whole idea of private shards was so the admins could throw out anyone they didn't like, such as KoSers etc, and only play with their private white-list of nice people ?

That sounds like no fun whatsoever to me. Just kicking out KoSers so everyone can run around and PvE with each other will make private shards super boring, super quickly. It would be way more fun to have a system where the players attempt to keep the servers KoS-free.

..//..

That sounds like no fun whatsoever to me. Just kicking out KoSers so everyone can run around and PvE with each other will make private shards super boring, super quickly.

It would be way more fun to have a system where the players attempt to keep the servers KoS-free.

So on those private shards the "players" and the "KoSers" are not the same people ?

Who decides to let the KoSers in ? (well, the admin obviously, but why ?)

Or do the private whitelist players take turns to be KoSers ? (super boring)

as for the dogtag .. I imagine (if it ever existed) it would be something you were spawned with, like your blood group, and not a permanent thing. I remember an old Anarchy Online build where you could cut a finger off your pvp victim and keep it as a memento.. and steal the finger-collections of other pvp players, etc.. That was a fun thing, I thought (they decided it was too bloodthirsty) . Works out like having "bandit" status.

Putting someone's Steam account out in the game itself - or an effective equivalent, an unchangeable player ident tied to their account (how else ?) would lead to problems. That would be a major hack target, you know what fun the b**tard hackers would try to get out of that.

How about (already suggested) maybe a "wallet" like the Mod diary .. but as an ingame object that other players can look at on your body, or keep as scalp-loot - or police-loot, or whatever reason they wanted.. ?

Edited by pilgrim

So on those private shards the "players" and the "KoSers" are not the same people ?

Who decides to let the KoSers in ? (well, the admin obviously, but why ?)

Or do the private whitelist players take turns to be KoSers ? (super boring)

The players and the KoSers are the same people. The KoSers are just a portion of the entire playerbase. Everyone should able to apply to a private shard as long as they follow the rules, right? Making KoS a bannable offense seems like it might create a boring atmosphere.

as for the dogtag .. I imagine (if it ever existed) it would be something you were spawned with, like your blood group, and not a permanent thing. I remember an old Anarchy Online build where you could cut a finger off your pvp victim and keep it as a memento.. and steal the finger-collections of other pvp players, etc.. That was a fun thing, I thought (they decided it was too bloodthirsty) . Works out like having "bandit" status.

This is a very interesting idea! Let people keep mementos of their kills on their dogtag chain.

Putting someone's Steam account out in the game itself - or an effective equivalent, an unchangeable player ident tied to their account (how else ?) would lead to problems. That would be a major hack target, you know what fun the b**tard hackers would try to get out of that.

When you start the game you choose a nickname. You aren't allowed to change it. How would this be a hack target?

How about (already suggested) maybe a "wallet" like the Mod diary .. but as an ingame object that other players can look at on your body, or keep as scalp-loot - or police-loot, or whatever reason they wanted.. ?

Wallet or dogtags, it doesn't really matter to me. I just want to be able to identify other players without them being able to "forge" their identify by changing clothes and usernames.

..//..

When you start the game you choose a nickname. You aren't allowed to change it. How would this be a hack target?

.. I just want to be able to identify other players without them being able to "forge" their identify by changing clothes and usernames.

..//..

If when you start the game you have a fixed unchangeable nickname, that name must be tied to your account and your UID - or else you could change it, of course.

Any bad-intentioned players who could fake that, would be able to stand in for - imitate - that player. Anything they did would reflect on him.

That would include offensive language, hacking, glitching..

Accused of these things, how could a player whose permanent nickname been stolen be able to defend himself ?

Personally, Id like people to have a choice

Maybe a license, passport, police badge, or dogtags are ALL an option in the customzation screen, and you choose what you want. My character is a former soldier, so I want tags.

A tourist may jave a passport.

Civvie has a license

And a cop has a badge.

Maybe have a place to enter your name/ height and age.

Of course thered be a guy named Leroy whos 9`6 and 6969 pounds, but I see that ingame allready.

• Like 6

If when you start the game you have a fixed unchangeable nickname, that name must be tied to your account and your UID - or else you could change it, of course.

Any bad-intentioned players who could fake that, would be able to stand in for - imitate - that player. Anything they did would reflect on him.

That would include offensive language, hacking, glitching..

Accused of these things, how could a player whose permanent nickname been stolen be able to defend himself ?

They might be able to change their username, but I don't think hackers can spoof a Player ID.

Arma has unique player identifiers so I guess DayZ does, too.

pDnSviC.jpg

Wallets, dog-tags, passport, driving license i don't really care if I can throw it away in the first second I respawn(in that case these things are welcome otherwise not ). Why? Because I like to keep low profile. I don't want to tell my name every stranger I meet on my journeys and I like to keep it to myself. In this game you can't be sure who is the bad guy. Only 10 sec late in different situations can lead to misunderstanding. Gain trust -> get intel but forced-built-in ID things is a big NO for me. "Check Pulse" should not reveal the victims name too.

The only thing you need to become a server admin is money. There is no other requirement. Different communities have different codes for it to avoid admin abuse which is good. But in general admins are people too and part of them are assholes. Just like in any other game. So I'm definately against any kind of tool that reveals any information about your steam account. 2.5 million "alpha tester" so far. Just think about how many poorly secured PCs are out there. Yes kick or ban should affect your steam account on a particular server but an admin should never be able to look up a player's steam account.

Yeah, I have to agree, money as money, not something that really fits DayZ, but as I said, money has other uses, and eventually DayZ will find it's own currency as time goes on.  I can see paper money being used for kindling, notes, ect.  I would see coins as having more uses, Coin Shot shells, Sock+$5 in Cherno change = Blackjack, makeshift fuses for vehicles/houses, ect.  If certain servers/clans uses Money as the Form of currency for trading I see nothing wrong with it.  You either got it from scavenging, killing zombies, or players.  Things are only valuable because we collectively put value in them, or others put value in them.  Seeds might be worthless to the wandering Medic that carries all his gear with him, just as bandages might be more or less worthless to the Survivor that's settled down in the forest and has cultivated a plot of land to get more food.  See where I'm getting here?

*EDIT*

There was talk of taking out the name for the pulse check.  Though I have no source to verify.

That is exactly what I was thinking, collecting this money if you want.

Personally, Id like people to have a choice

Maybe a license, passport, police badge, or dogtags are ALL an option in the customzation screen, and you choose what you want. My character is a former soldier, so I want tags.

A tourist may jave a passport.

Civvie has a license

And a cop has a badge.

Maybe have a place to enter your name/ height and age.

Of course thered be a guy named Leroy whos 9`6 and 6969 pounds, but I see that ingame allready.

That is a great idea.

Update: Wallets going to be added to DayZ along with a dime bag

That is a great discovery