Sign in to follow this  
Aquintas

Tent Wipe #2...why? "Devs please read"

So I understand that this game is in Alpha and shit is going to go wrong, or not work properly.  Especially new content being released and worked on, this is all a given.  What I don't understand is why its so hard for Devs (should any actually read this) to post updates on major things that occur.  Such as, every tent getting wiped and every Official server resetting.  Seriously guys why is this difficult, you can hire some kid and pay him minimum wage, hand him a "what happened today that was major" sheet and tell him to put it on the forums.  Now I love this game, I love the potential this game has, but you can't expect players to be content with sifting through Reddit's numerous, and usually BS, threads to find a comment made by a Dev about issues that should have already been posted on YOUR forums.

The first Tent wipe / server Reset was explained in a Reddit post, as an answer to a player not even its own post...what if that player had never asked the question, would that info had EVER hit the forums?  This weird obsession with Dev's falling back on "it's Alpha, deal with it" is not a catch all.  It works for random bugs, it works for random glitches, character wipes, things such as that.  But only to a point of not getting pissed off when it happens.  It is NOT a safety net for you NOT telling your player base what you are doing to fix these issues, or explaining why something was done when something major happens.

Now that I have that out of the way, has anyone been able to find any new information as to why the Tents were wiped again, after they said that they fixed the Host Save issue earlier this week?

Now that I have that out of the way, has anyone been able to find any new information as to why the Tents were wiped again

Or a better question, why does anyone even care that much about tents? I mean I want to see tents and persistent storage as much as the next guy, but seriously they have been out a matter of weeks. If anyone has been racing to immediately stockpile so much stuff they can't live without it, they really need to re-evaluate playing this game.

• Like 4

Your missing the point, the point is not that tents are gone, the point is that we as players get bare minimum information or zero information regarding changes/updates/random things that Dev's do.

If Tents were my main concern I would have lead with it, and the only reason the topic is "Tent Wipe" is because it's the most recent thing they haven't told us about and they have already done it...

Your missing the point, the point is not that tents are gone, the point is that we as players get bare minimum information or zero information regarding changes/updates/random things that Dev's do.

If Tents were my main concern I would have lead with it, and the only reason the topic is "Tent Wipe" is because it's the most recent thing they haven't told us about and they have already done it...

Then maybe dont lead your thread title with it.....

• Like 2

Part of it being an Alpha is you being their guinea pig. I doubt they test anything more than essential functionality (sometimes not even that much) when they release an update. They can't hire a kid to post a "here's what's to be expected" because they don't know what's expected until players like you report it to them.

I agree with you in the sense that "Alpha" is not an excuse for poor behavior and unprofessionalism. However, in this case, I think it really is a matter of it being an Alpha. The devs don't have time to sit at their computers and post updates about bugs all day long. 

There's a reddit post saying that until they actually patch, servers that are getting stuck not restarting will continue to be wiped.  The patch isn't scheduled till the end of the month.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/2e43ub/firstperson_persistence_when/cjwbz2y

There's also info in the weekly report that we can expect a full hive wipe semi soon.

Between the instability of persistence, and the fact that a total wipe is confirmed and semi imminent I suggest not bothering with tents.

Again, they've always been shit about getting information out in an official way, but that's not going to change.  The weekly reports are the closest thing we're gonna get, and a nice addition, but you still have to dig around.

I had a nice little collection of tents going.  I had not visited them in a couple days or so, I was too busy checking out the new areas, looking for new gear, etc.  When I went back, there was a serious bug with item duplication/replication.  Cool at first, but globally on the server it must have had a enormous impact on the overall economy and game performance.  I happened to have had 1 tent in my pack at the time, I set it up, but my guess based on this thread that it may very well be gone too.  Oh well, back at it!

Indeed, persistant storage caused some weird duping glitches from time to time, and i am all for a full wipe to reproduce / figure out / solve this problem. In the end, this glitch might also most likely have an impact on item respawn and thus causes even bigger problems. ( right dude, you will starve because there is no food since my tent just spawned 50 protector cases hahahahah )

We are at the build-nr. that initally implemented persitant storage. Who the hell expects it to work flawlessly right from the start ? It's a new feature, be aware that it will be broken.

So I understand that this game is in Alpha and shit is going to go wrong, or not work properly.  Especially new content being released and worked on, this is all a given.  What I don't understand is why its so hard for Devs (should any actually read this) to post updates on major things that occur.  Such as, every tent getting wiped and every Official server resetting.  Seriously guys why is this difficult, you can hire some kid and pay him minimum wage, hand him a "what happened today that was major" sheet and tell him to put it on the forums.  Now I love this game, I love the potential this game has, but you can't expect players to be content with sifting through Reddit's numerous, and usually BS, threads to find a comment made by a Dev about issues that should have already been posted on YOUR forums.

The first Tent wipe / server Reset was explained in a Reddit post, as an answer to a player not even its own post...what if that player had never asked the question, would that info had EVER hit the forums?  This weird obsession with Dev's falling back on "it's Alpha, deal with it" is not a catch all.  It works for random bugs, it works for random glitches, character wipes, things such as that.  But only to a point of not getting pissed off when it happens.  It is NOT a safety net for you NOT telling your player base what you are doing to fix these issues, or explaining why something was done when something major happens.

Now that I have that out of the way, has anyone been able to find any new information as to why the Tents were wiped again, after they said that they fixed the Host Save issue earlier this week?

Not enough information? What? You know that they make monthly reports that say what has been going on and what is to happen in the future, right? It's on the MAIN website.....*sigh*

Then maybe dont lead your thread title with it.....

I LOVE your PICTURE! 

• Like 1

Haha, was anyone surprised by this? If you wanna help (1 don't leave shit outside your tent to get duped  2) don't dupe

Probably they dont want to admit the game cant handle persistent loot. Guess we will go down to one zombie per city instead of two.

Probably they dont want to admit the game cant handle persistent loot. Guess we will go down to one zombie per city instead of two.

Ya, because the duping had nothing to do with it  :rolleyes: .  

Haha, was anyone surprised by this? If you wanna help (1 don't leave shit outside your tent to get duped  2) don't dupe

Setting manual player duping aside, in this addition of Tents vs Server Host, the Servers were taking items that were in the Tent's Inventory and duping them randomly...had nothing to with duping what was outside the inventory yet in the tent, at least not this time.

I remember reading something about duping being killed and character wipes for .49, fingers crossed that this is true.

So did they wipe the tents again? Because I know that they wiped them a couple of days ago and they said that they fixed the problem (http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/208251-reddit-eugenharton-on-offical-servers-not-working-after-restart/). I am finally able to log onto my server, since it had been down for a day, and come to find out that my backpacks and tents were wiped once again.

I understand that this is alpha and this is to be expected but i would atleast like a post or something stating that they are going to do it. I mean they want us to test tents but it takes hours upon hours to find one, then the next day it gets wiped.

Enough on the soap box, just wanna know if anyone elses tent got wiped yesterday or today? I dont know when it happened since I was unable to log in.

Edited by Jacobahalls

So did they wipe the tents again? Because I know that they wiped them a couple of days ago and they said that they fixed the problem (http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/208251-reddit-eugenharton-on-offical-servers-not-working-after-restart/). I am finally able to log onto my server, since it had been down for a day, and come to find out that my backpacks and tents were wiped once again.

I understand that this is alpha and this is to be expected but i would atleast like a post or something stating that they are going to do it. I mean they want us to test tents but it takes hours upon hours to find one, then the next day it gets wiped.

Enough on the soap box, just wanna know if anyone elses tent got wiped yesterday or today? I dont know when it happened since I was unable to log in.

Yes they were wiped again, and it was for somewhat of the same reason yet in a different way, tents were duping still, just not duping things on the ground IN the tent but things in the tents inventory.

Edited by Aquintas

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/2e43ub/firstperson_persistence_when/cjwbz2y

Well I said this in another thread, There should be about 15 first person persistent servers. But as far as servers getting stuck. I also mentioned it before, until we update it will happen.

This is exactly the reason why we rolled first only on official servers. Game is a totally different beast when out there. The issue is fixed on internal. As according to the status report we aim for release by end of august.

Again at any point anytime anything can break, if we are going to move forward it basically has to. Were redoing things inengine from script and prototype new features all the time.

We try to provide as stable experience as possible with CI but please understand these things will happen.

PS : Characters do no get wiped, when youre character does not get loaded relog, might take a few tried but you will load.

They haven't patched, so it isn't fixed.  They're going to keep getting wiped if servers keep getting stuck.

I wouldn't bother personally, until all this stuff becomes stable.

Also, did ya not even look at the recent threads?  Because literally only a few topics down, from earlier today: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/208674-tent-wipe-2why-devs-please-read/

Edited by Bororm

You are whining. :D And what you want if tents were introduced few weeks ago. I can tell you only one thing - be ready for tent wipes or do not use tents for its intended purpose before version 1.0 release.