Sign in to follow this  
juicymushroom

Optimize the game

Simply put, pls devs stop focusing on pretty little addons and tweaks and even before vehicles, PLS optimize the game. All my friends have good PCs but no one in my group of friends can run this game above low settings. (Especially the post-processing, anti-aliasing etc.) It is not the texture settings that is a problem but when it comes to processor related options it all goes down the drain. I can't get above 40fps in a city. I am merely adding to the list of people complaining about the fps and optimization in the hopes that they may do something about it.  :)

Make it run, then make it run fast. A famous saying is, "We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: premature optimization is the root of all evil" In alpha, and this is early access alpha, there's a LOT to be done. Also keep in mind that they are working on the engine redo, code named "Infusion". So technically that's in progress.

• Like 1

Why optimize it now, then add more items, then have to optimize it again?

I don't agree with how long this alpha is taking, but that's exactly what it is and the game won't be getting optimized till it's nearly completed, I think that's how game making works.

Why are you complaining about less than 40 fps? As long as it's above 20 FPS, you can play it just fine.

Everything in software development must to be done in the proper order, optimization is at the end of that order. Sorry if you didn't know that, but this will be the case with almost any early access game you're bound to come across. If you aren't able to handle this, I would recommend against buying Early Access games at all.

• Like 1

Man.

There are different Teams of DEVs.

And the ones, who add new guns/clothes/items are not the ones, who work on bugfixing or lootrespawn.

Even if the DEVs would follow you wish. Then the Art-developement-team would work on optimizing the game.

And so what? They are not "specialized" for that.

Also keep in mind: The DEVs hired a whole new small studio in another city, I think, who worked on the Navmesh.

The Developement-process is always getting faster, it seems.

Look at the last patches 0.46, 0.47 and 0.48. Hunting was added, animals were added, fishing, chopping down trees, mining rocks, fireplaces, loot-respawn, tents, item-persistence...

Edited by irishroy
  • Like 1

Like everyone stated, it's in Alpha. And do keep in mind that games usually take years to complete (3-5). Dayz Standalone early access was just released Dec 16 of last year. It's been less then a year for them developing the game. So what they have done and accomplished so far is magnificent in my opinion. Also if you read the latest Status Report, they are working on network optimizations. Be patient and wait. If you need to take a break do so. You can come back in beta or release. Have fun.

Edited by Kronons

They have already started uncoupling the renderer from the simulation, which will help massively. Then there is further work to do on the multicore support. Then after that there will be general asset optimisation, LODs etc, so there is some way to go yet. Multicore support and a new renderer sadly, isn't the work of a moment, but it will come.

Edited by Ben_uk
  • Like 1

Please do rsome research on this topic.

BTW Alpha is not about optimization so much as it is to focus on content.

Edited by haknslash

Why are you complaining about less than 40 fps? As long as it's above 20 FPS, you can play it just fine.

Speak for yourself. Nobody likes playing DayZ at 21 FPS. Don't give the impression that the community enjoys that pathetic level of performance. I know performance isn't a priority right now, but if the finished game ran like the current Alpha does...that would be a serious problem. 

I am merely adding to the list of people complaining

This is another of those strange 1st posts from people who join the forum to complain about something standard that has already been discussed at great length.

??

OP says: " It is not the texture settings that is a problem but when it comes to processor related options it all goes down the drain. I can't get above 40fps in a city "

??

Sounds to me like someone quickly skim-read through the forums and is trolling a meaningless topic to see who swallows it.

But if Juicymushroom wants to tell me how wrong I am, I'll be pleased to admit it.

So, because I can be mistaken - Hi dude, welcome to the DayZ forums

xx

Edited by pilgrim

This is beyond stupid you clearly don't know how game development works come everyone move along, move along.

Also keep in mind that they are working on the engine redo, code named "Infusion". So technically that's in progress.

Oh? Really? Is there any article about this somewhere? That would be great news, because the current engine is really horrible.

If you've settled for less than 60, you'd be blown away at how different it feels.

You really can't tell the difference through a youtube video, but the difference between 30 and 60 is absolutely huge.

If you've settled for less than 60, you'd be blown away at how different it feels.

You really can't tell the difference through a youtube video, but the difference between 30 and 60 is absolutely huge.

From my very short experience, this is not true at all. Not in this game in its current state at least. In Skyrim for example, the difference between 30 and 50 is huge. Here, I don't notice too much of a difference as long as I don't dip below 25. No idea why. Or Battlefield 4 - I was happily playing it at 30ish FPS on my old card. I get constant 60 now and it looks and feels exactly the same.

Guess it has something to do with engine.

P.S. I hope I won't see any retarded arguing about how everything below 60 is unacceptable and immediatelly noticeable here. I'm sick to my stomach from reading this crap over and over.

Oh? Really? Is there any article about this somewhere? That would be great news, because the current engine is really horrible.

Straight from the mouth of Dean himself. Listen, learn, enjoy.

According to the people of these forums, we're already using the Enfusion engine.

And I agree, optimization should be a 'high-on-the-list' project for this game. I have a GTX 780 video card and I can't get over 10 frames in cities and 20-ish frames in open areas.

Supposedly, this is due to the fact I have an AMD processor, which is apparently not optimized for this game. So even simple things such as optimizing for AMD processors should be done.

Client side optimisation is planned for the beta phase of the game, it has been said many times.