Parazight

DayZ is a game about theft.

"Righteous"...It's a fucking video game dude, not real life, get over yourself.

No.

Edited by Spartacus Rex

DayZ SA is a very basic "loot and pew pew" game, at the moment. I wish people would stop trying to make the game seem more deep and "hardcore" that it actually is.

Watch some of Jam Jar's videos like Prize, Surprize, Demize and get a sense of the very many different things creative people do with the game.

DayZ is what we make it, seriously try and think outside the box... or just go play CoD.  :P

• Like 4

Tobias Winfro, on 21 Aug 2014 - 07:01 AM, said:

Oh goodie another I kill people and here's why thread. Good for you, you enjoy killing people but who are you people gonna kill when private hives/shards are introduced and you have no one to shoot when they enforce no kos or PvE rules? Oh that's right, people will whine on the forums about how private hives ruined Dayz and no one wants to play vanilla. You people will only have yourselves to blame for lack of interest for vanilla standalone

so true...

with private hives n whitelisting finaly will come a true sence of community when servers can start enforcing play styles and those of like minded interests..

and the main public hive will be a desolate place were KoSers sit on hilltops wondering were the targets all went..

That's your opinion, and it's incorrect. From the website directly:

If this was just PvP there wouldn't be zombies, there wouldn't be various survival elements (fishing, hunting, crafting), there wouldn't be items and mechanics that ENCOURAGE interaction and not PvP (F key animations, handcuffs, burlap sacks, etc). And this, my friend, is why people say it's not COD, it's not KOS, and exactly the reason why people who claim otherwise are laughably and utterly incorrect.

It is just my opinion but "the proof is in the pudding". All of the survival and social mechanics you mention are superficial and (from an objective game design/theory perspective) they do nothing to decrease the risk of social interaction nor increase the reward thereof. Because of this when two random groups of players meet in DayZ the safest (and smartest) course of action is to KoS. This basically guarantees that most interactions between players will be violent and result in PvP.

This is why I believe DayZ is a PvP game by design. The PvE elements are just there to (hopefully) push people together so they can kill each other.

Watch some of Jam Jar's videos like Prize, Surprize, Demize and get a sense of the very many different things creative people do with the game.

DayZ is what we make it, seriously try and think outside the box... or just go play CoD.  :P

Meta-gaming and roleplaying are not fun for me. I appreciate you trying to show off a different side of DayZ but the only roleplaying I do is in the bedroom.

It is just my opinion but "the proof is in the pudding". All of the survival and social mechanics you mention are superficial and (from an objective game design/theory perspective) they do nothing to decrease the risk of social interaction nor increase the reward thereof. Because of this when two random groups of players meet in DayZ the safest (and smartest) course of action is to KoS. This basically guarantees that most interactions between players will be violent and result in PvP.

This is why I believe DayZ is a PvP game by design. The PvE elements are just there to (hopefully) push people together so they can kill each other.

Meta-gaming and roleplaying are not fun for me. I appreciate you trying to show off a different side of DayZ but the only roleplaying I do is in the bedroom.

Thank you.  Everything you said is spot on.  KOS is the smartest way to play if you want to survive right now. 

And roleplaying is for larpers. 

Edited by cartire

The game IS about theft, and that's why I KOS anyone wearing ANYTHING other than full on bambi starter gear.

Anything you have on, you looted.  It's not yours.  You thieving scum.

So I kill you.  Then I take your stuff and either disperse it throughout the land, or hold onto it until the rightful owner returns.

I don't want your stuff.  I just don't want you to have it.

http://youtu.be/REDvY4zUVrc?t=3m49s

dont worry no one wants you to play there either...

My question is, what do you actually think youll be playing on banditless servers?

A zombie survival game?  Please, give me any reason that makes you think that will be challenging or fun in anyway. 

Quote isn't working for me :(

@Scriptfactory

Its the fact that there is no handholding for things like trading and such, no lowering the risk by design that makes them so interesting for me. The rewards can be great, been looking for an LRS for ages...next guy may have one to trade for something you wouldn't mind parting with. But the trade itself is completely under realistic conditions, no "trade screen" where neither can shoot. My heart pounds just as much talking to a random as it does in a firefight. One eye constantly on the barrel of there gun. In a way its more of a rush, being that close, knowing it could be a backstab at any moment. Walking away after a successful meet feels like an accomplishment. Icing a guy down the scope of yet another rifle in yet another game is an overplayed pop song. 

The reason I believe, is that players are somewhat brainwashd into a mentality of killing=winning. Even in a game where its entirely up to the player, people default to shooting first asking questions later. If I can meet a player, say hi, exchange some gear, then have us both go off our own ways, I call that a win. You guys think bandit life is hard....ha....try being a trader....just for one life...welcome to hell.

Id argue that the existence of a PvE element means the game is not purely pvp by design, but is intentionally  designed to cater to either type of player. The PvE elements are designed to push people together, but it doesn't have to be for a kill :)

• Like 2

if anything DayZ is driven by empathy, that zen moment when you realise there is a dickhead staring at you in the mirror with a thousand yard glaze in their eyes!

OP can have my beans. Play how you want to play as you see fit (short of cheating/exploiting). In my situation, I've met a clan that I roll with and those are now the people I will soley completely trust. Everyone else is KOSed if fully equipped, or > me equipped, and approached cautiously if less equipped.

Quote isn't working for me :(

@Scriptfactory

Its the fact that there is no handholding for things like trading and such, no lowering the risk by design that makes them so interesting for me. The rewards can be great, been looking for an LRS for ages...next guy may have one to trade for something you wouldn't mind parting with. But the trade itself is completely under realistic conditions, no "trade screen" where neither can shoot. My heart pounds just as much talking to a random as it does in a firefight. One eye constantly on the barrel of there gun. In a way its more of a rush, being that close, knowing it could be a backstab at any moment. Walking away after a successful meet feels like an accomplishment. Icing a guy down the scope of yet another rifle in yet another game is an overplayed pop song. 

The reason I believe, is that players are somewhat brainwashd into a mentality of killing=winning. Even in a game where its entirely up to the player, people default to shooting first asking questions later. If I can meet a player, say hi, exchange some gear, then have us both go off our own ways, I call that a win. You guys think bandit life is hard....ha....try being a trader....just for one life...welcome to hell.

Id argue that the existence of a PvE element means the game is not purely pvp by design, but is intentionally  designed to cater to either type of player. The PvE elements are designed to push people together, but it doesn't have to be for a kill :)

Ok, but do you realize how that once again, everyone complaining about bandits and KOS are dumb.  You enjoy the expearience you had with trading BECAUSE your fears of bandits and KOS.  Without them, your expearience would be bland with little to no excitement. 

Its just funny reading some of these comments.  Everyone loves the rush of adrenaline from close encounters and yet complain about people who play those roles that cause the adrenaline. 

I'm happy that you enjoy the game. Getting an LRS from a random player is a indirect motivator and is dependent on the DayZ meta-game. As I said before, I do not enjoy meta-gaming or roleplaying. Also, trading or meeting with other people is not a rush for me. The first few kills I got in DayZ were very interesting and made my pulse race but, after 500 hours, I no longer get those kind of feelings. I am a trained assassin.

Players are not brainwashed at all. The game has taught them to think a certain way.

DayZ is a permadeath game. It sucks to get killed after investing hours of time into a character because you lose everything. So people get good at surviving by either avoidance (boring) or KoS (much less boring). There is absolutely no in-game benefit for them to talk or trade with another person unless they need food or a blood infusion.

Id argue that the existence of a PvE element means the game is not purely pvp by design, but is intentionally  designed to cater to either type of player. The PvE elements are designed to push people together, but it doesn't have to be for a kill  :)

It doesn't HAVE to be for a kill but it probably will be. The PvE portion of DayZ is severely lacking and, from what I have seen from the DayZ roadmap, it always will be. Some fishing, five zombies per village, simulated heart attacks a pet dog will not turn a game into a "survival horror" PvE experience.

Just my opinion. :)

• Like 1

Re: "oh great, another KOS thread." 

Look, this is a forum where people talk about the game.  I'm not in your face, shoving this stuff down your throat.  YOU decided to read the forums and participate.  No one is forcing you to be here.  People talk about relevant topics because that's what forums are for!  It's only natural that people talk about stuff. These forums provide a forum for this exact discussion.  It's everyone's responsibility to themselves to provide worthwhile content, backed with reason, in order to engage in forum pvp, without resorting to lame posts, name calling, and pointless memes.  If you can't accept the topics in the dayz forums, then you shouldn't be here. 

Re: care bare servers with nothing but PVE and anti-KOS rules.

Don't worry,  I wont be on your boring servers.  When the norm becomes PVE + rules I will gladly find another game where the true currency is hostile interaction birthed by time investment, not sharing and caring.  I posit that if dayz 'vanilla' is phased out and turned into private care bear shards that the game has failed.  I'm a really nice guy IRL.  When I want human interaction, harmless banter, working together, and sharing I will log off and go back to real life.  *I* play DayZ  for the fighting, for the hostile negotiations.  This brings me to the next point....

Re:  The dayz tag-line.

DAYZ is a gritty, authentic, open-world survival horror hybrid-MMO game, in which players follow a single goal: to survive in the harsh post-apocalyptic landscape as long as they can. Players can live through powerful events and emotions arising from the ever-evolving emergent gameplay. Scavenge. Slay. Survive.

But even though PvP plays a significant role in DayZ it's not and shouldn't be the primary focus. That's what people mean when they say "This isn't COD, don't KOS". It's a significant part of the game, but not the purpose of the game,...

Just stop being a tool.  Instead of taking the statement that was created to acquire customers as literal interpretation, try making the game what *you* want it to be.  You're doing yourself a disservice by not making the game into what *you* want it to be.  It's cute when people have a bad case of the "suppossedtas."  If I could care less about what the developers intended this game to be, I would.  Instead, I will be a product of the product that has been laid out in front of me.  I tend to interpret things as I see them, I will make this game be what I want it to be.  You should do the same.  If you want this game (a game made around a sandbox, weapons, and other people) to be a platform for social interaction, caring, and sharing then so be it.  Just be cautious, because I'm out there, aiming to steal your stuff and rob you of the time it took to get it.

Re: using DayZ videos as an argument.

People don't have interactions and then decide to post a video about it.  People create interactions because their intention is to make a video. Totally valid, btw!  You think Jam-Jar would spend his time doing his "surprise, prize, demise" interactions if there was no recording of it?  He's not making those videos because he likes player interaction.  Jam-jar likes making videos because the clips attract attention to himself.  Again, totally valid reason!

YOU CANNOT SURVIVE A ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE WITHOUT HANDCUFFS AND KEYS.

• Like 3

Ok, but do you realize how that once again, everyone complaining about bandits and KOS are dumb.  You enjoy the expearience you had with trading BECAUSE your fears of bandits and KOS.  Without them, your expearience would be bland with little to no excitement. 

Its just funny reading some of these comments.  Everyone loves the rush of adrenaline from close encounters and yet complain about people who play those roles that cause the adrenaline. 

Don't confuse balking at the justifications for KOS playstyles, or the "This is the only way DayZ is meant to be played" arguments with complaining about bandits/KOS types.

I love you losers, without you who else would I have justification to shoot. A hero needs a villain.

• Like 2

Just what DayZ needs, care bear servers.

Yes it is what Dayz needs because right now everyone is shoehorned into one way of playing and that way is ermergerd another player, have to be antisocial and shoot them in case they try to talk to me. I'm not saying I'm against PvP, you guys want to douchebag on each other and do the shoot everything that moves, I say have at it but leave me out of it. If people have passworded or white listed hive it will cut down on a lot of the nonsensical killing just because you felt threatened when you saw me sitting next to a pond fishing with no gear except a fishing pole and a courier bag with a few medic items and some water.

PvP itself doesn't bother me, what grinds my gears are those who feel the need to come here to the forums and stroke their epeen by posting why I kill threads but when someone presents a different point of view on the subject your jimmies get a bit rustled.

Make all the snide comments you want about carebear servers, they are coming but please tell me what you are going to do when a part of the population on public hives leaves for private hives and reduces the number of players for you to shoot at?

• Like 2

This thread is stupid yet again.  Pushing one playstyle on everyone is just dumb and telling people otherwise is just as stupid..  This thread should be locked and yarded

Please stop posting.  All of your posts are one liner nonsense with no substance whatsoever.  All you do is troll and complain.  You have yet to address the topic in this thread.  Your posts are just white noise.  No one is pushing a playstyle on anyone.  It's pretty clear that you're not even trying to understand what people write.  You just respond to what you think it means.

• Like 2

Don't confuse balking at the justifications for KOS playstyles, or the "This is the only way DayZ is meant to be played" arguments with complaining about bandits/KOS types.

I love you losers, without you who else would I have justification to shoot. A hero needs a villain.

Weird, I have a near impossible time figuring out who is who in the game.  Is that random guy that I dont know a bandit or a hero.  hmmmmmm. 

Well keep at it good hero.  Youre not the Hero that Chernarus wants, but youre the one it needs.  Because apparently you have something in your game that tells you who everone is.....

Re: "oh great, another KOS thread."

Look, this is a forum where people talk about the game. I'm not in your face, shoving this stuff down your throat. YOU decided to read the forums and participate. No one is forcing you to be here. People talk about relevant topics because that's what forums are for! It's only natural that people talk about stuff. These forums provide a forum for this exact discussion. It's everyone's responsibility to themselves to provide worthwhile content, backed with reason, in order to engage in forum pvp, without resorting to lame posts, name calling, and pointless memes. If you can't accept the topics in the dayz forums, then you shouldn't be here.

Re: care bare servers with nothing but PVE and anti-KOS rules.

Don't worry, I wont be on your boring servers. When the norm becomes PVE + rules I will gladly find another game where the true currency is hostile interaction birthed by time investment, not sharing and caring. I posit that if dayz 'vanilla' is phased out and turned into private care bear shards that the game has failed. I'm a really nice guy IRL. When I want human interaction, harmless banter, working together, and sharing I will log off and go back to real life. *I* play DayZ for the fighting, for the hostile negotiations. This brings me to the next point....

Re: The dayz tag-line.

Just stop being a tool. Instead of taking the statement that was created to acquire customers as literal interpretation, try making the game what *you* want it to be. You're doing yourself a disservice by not making the game into what *you* want it to be. It's cute when people have a bad case of the "suppossedtas." If I could care less about what the developers intended this game to be, I would. Instead, I will be a product of the product that has been laid out in front of me. I tend to interpret things as I see them, I will make this game be what I want it to be. You should do the same. If you want this game (a game made around a sandbox, weapons, and other people) to be a platform for social interaction, caring, and sharing then so be it. Just be cautious, because I'm out there, aiming to steal your stuff and rob you of the time it took to get it.

Re: using DayZ videos as an argument.

People don't have interactions and then decide to post a video about it. People create interactions because their intention is to make a video. Totally valid, btw! You think Jam-Jar would spend his time doing his "surprise, prize, demise" interactions if there was no recording of it? He's not making those videos because he likes player interaction. Jam-jar likes making videos because the clips attract attention to himself. Again, totally valid reason!

YOU CANNOT SURVIVE A ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE WITHOUT HANDCUFFS AND KEYS.

All my beans man, take them all

(Part of me is gonna play the devil's advocate, the other 80% is gonna speak from the heart.)

Stealing. That's the core of this game. I want to steal your valuable time. That's why I hunt other people. The major attraction of this game is all based around time investment. Let me explain.

You spend hours and hours gearing up. There's a huge time investment into gearing up and so, every action you take holds the responsibility of recognizing this. When you boldly log onto a server and blindly start running for the control tower at the airfield, your gear, if it could talk, would say something like this; "OMG WAT R U DOING!?! YOU'RE GONNA GET US KILLED!" Very disrespectful to yourself. Disrespectful to your hard earned gear. How dare you forsake all the time spent getting to where you're at now, location and gear-wise.

This is where I come in. I want to steal all your stuff.  I want to steal all your time.  Because there's nothing to enforce laws or rules. I want more. It's far easier and much faster to steal something than it is to work hard for it. It's logical when there are no consequences. The game, in its current state, totally enables this behavior! How awesome! right?!?

When I shoot a geared player I've just gained hours and hours of progression.  I could run around for an hour and find a weapon, but why?  The best loot walks on two feet!  When I sneak up on a geared player as a bambi and axe them in the grape, I just gained anywhere from five to twenty of hours of real time looting. I reckon.

Some people don't get it though.  Some people still think that player versus environment will somehow hold their attention.  It wont.  PVE is child's play.  So, consider this a public service message.

Someone will engage in a discussion about KOSing or something and somebody will say "Blah, blah, blah, go play COD or Battlefield instead." I see this statement a lot on these forums. This makes no sense to me at all.  I don't care if there are other games with better graphics or mechanics.  The killing in those games feels so hollow, like killing-a-fresh-spawn-on-the-coast-hollow.  COD, Battlefield, Open world MMO pvp, and whatnot do nothing for players like me.  It seems silly to me to hunt down other gamers in other games because it's meaningless.  Your victim just respawns and is right back into the game again.  I've wasted a lot of time hunting other players when they can get caught up in 30 seconds.

Listen up, maggots.  That's demand I'm making in this thread; Please don't tell me to go play COD!

It's all about consequences.  It's all about making good decisions.  The things that you acquire to make you stronger require actual effort.  I'm speaking ideally here.  Cheaters get around this, I am going to assume for the base of this post that cheating will be totally fixed by release.  Bear with me here.  I hunt in DayZ because I like to capitalize on other peoples' stupid mistakes.  This is the best progression leverage ever invented!!  When you do something in-game you have to always consider the time investment you've already spent.  Most of the gaming nerd community rushes headlong into town and runs straight to the nearest loot hub (cop shop, piano house, hospital, fire station, etc.)  Good job just forsaking all you've worked for.

I want to kill your toon because I want your gear.  I want you to kill me because when I'm fighting, I realize that all of my time investment is riding on the outcome.  Living and dying when there's no repercussions is lame.  I don't experience the paranoia buzz, the heart pounding excitement, the joy of pwning you, or the heartbreak of getting killed in any of those 'other' games.

I do have to be honest tho.  Sometimes I DO like to just get into fist-fights for the sake of pressing buttons.  Also, I do enjoy talking with other players, helping people, doing things that isn't flat out murder.  Humans are flawed social creatures, after all.

I love DayZ.  Please snipe me.  That is all.

the only people who spend hours getting geared up are noobs who havent learned how to play dayz yet, so your only stealing "valuable time" from noobs, that is if you can call playing videogames "valuable time".

Just stop being a tool. 

If you wish to keep this topic open, please do not insult other users. 

That goes for the rest of you; be civil.

• Like 1

In your opinion what makes DayZ deep or hardcore?

The longest threads on this board are complaining about hacking, KoS and zombies and yet the devs never address the issue anymore. I only played vanilla mod for a short time because of all of the hackers and griefers. Rocket promised to take care of this and addressed it in several of his live streams as recently as 6 months ago. Since then they have been fairly silent on the issue.

PvP is the primary focus by design. This is how they want the game to be, in my opinion.

Is not that the devs are trying make the game for pvp..... Its that it is much harder to fix the hacking or add zombies on the fucked up engine. And to the point that it looks like they gave up.

Judging from a lot of post here, I dont even know why half you guys even play this game.  You obviously dont like the current play styles.  You dont care for the development staff and how they do things.  And you take the time to come to a forum to complain about how much the game makes you mad.  and the best part is, I bet most of you that have these complaints have accumulated HUNDREDS of hours of play time. 

Its pretty funny.

• Like 1

My character has been alive since May 2nd. That was mainly because I really didn't do that much, or play that much DayZ between May 2nd and today. I've maybe logged 10 hours from then till today, and in those 10 hours that character has survived with his M4, Suppressor, all MP parts, and 6 double mags, as well as fully black tactical geared out (with black baseball cap too!)

I had survived 17.... yes, 17 gun fights, some quite large, in those 10 hours of gameplay. I have claimed 23 souls, only 2 of whom were unarmed.

And today, I realized I was really bored of the game. Like, stupid bored. So I went to Barenzino (sp?, sorry) to look for trouble, and because I hear a character wipe is coming. So I went in, loaded up my gun, and went in.

I met a new spawn with a raincoat and a fire extinguisher and gave him some food. He was REALLY impressed with the M4 and wanted one badly. I was actually considering just giving it to him when I got shot in the leg. Sonofa---

Two guys with 1911's, one firing and the other trying to flank. I said fuck it. I just charged.

Now, the only thing that kind of upset me was I turned the corner already firing down the sights at the guy. I must have hit him 15 times and it SOUNDED like he maybe got 3 shots off.... and I died. Apparently he died too, but still.

I'm glad my character is dead. It was a rush, and I at least took someone to the grave with me, facing each other. He was yelling into the mic that he was dead and that his friend needed to flank me, so I guess he didn't realize he had killed me too.

Still, this game is about exploration and meeting people. If the only people you meet result in you getting killed, that sucks, but it's part of the thrill. And I love it. I can't wait to start lootin' again.