infiltrator

Gamma changing based on what you look at

This has got to be one of the most annoying issues nobody talks about. I frikin hate it when I have to look at a certain area in order to amplify or reduce the gamma of the game on-the-fly because someone though it would be good to have light that adapts almost instantly based on where you're looking at.

Please remove this. I don't want to look at a rock so I can see what's on the other side of the hill more clearly.

edit: added screenshots..

1. First screenshot is after I was looking at the ground for a couple of seconds

2. Second is immediately as I look up

3. Third is a few seconds after the "auto-gamma" adjustment kicks in.

http://imgur.com/a/LWqoK

Edited by Infiltrator
  • Like 1

If nobody talks about it maybe it is not an issue.

I'm not sure what this issue is, does it have something to do with your setting perhaps ?

Pictures please.

Think he is referring to the bloom or HDR in the game.

Where everything has a dark tint when looking slighly down away from what you are trying to look at sometimes makes it go away.

It was annoying in Arma 2 and its annoying now.

Arma 3 does not seem to suffer from it though.

• Like 2

I have been noticing this a lot lately, it only does it for me on some servers. The best advice I have is try different servers to find one that wont do it. I tried 4 in a row to get one that doesn't go extremely dark unless I look directly at the ground and I think it is the hdr or bloom like you said, I tried changing both but no effect on it whatsoever the only thing that worked was a different server like I said.

I don't think I've noticed that either. Maybe it's a setting that I have off or on that's different than yours? Hard to say.

I hated this in the mod but have never noticed it in the standalone. I have bloom set to off and HDR very low.

Yup.  Pissed / es me off too in mod/SA.  I think it's a Bloom, HDR lighting effect as others have mentioned, emulating glare from the sun.

There's other little nit-picky things like Depth of Field being caught when your LOS intersects with the plane of grass/trees that is either clipping 'inside' your scope, blurring your vision at range, or you're looking through the blades, but still intercepting the plane that the grass sits in...

They're annoying, but a friend of mine said that he thought they may be doing these things to limit 3pp/hackers, but that's just his opinion.

If i'm not mistaken, Arma3 has a fish-bowl effect from your POV, where textures at edge of the screen 'flow' out/into the corners, most noticeable when looking at sky texture (and moving your camera).  There also seems to be some kind of RGB traces around objects, more visible in 3pp, out to the peripherals of your vision, which I think is supposed to emulate 'focus' or dissuade 3pp players from having a wide-view shot outside of their cone of focus.

As per SmashT, try adjusting your graphics settings and see if there's any change... or just learn to be on the right side of the sun :)

Edited by q.S Sachiel

if u climp up the ladder on the act tower on nwaf it looks like the colorscheme is changing if u reach the top and has the sun to your right.

bad to discribe... :( dunno maybe the same u notice.

i try to make a video next time im there.

Edited by quantum2k6

Are you referring to the glare of the sun that blinds you?

No.

I hated this in the mod but have never noticed it in the standalone. I have bloom set to off and HDR very low.

I have bloom off and HDR very low, still happens every time. I'm not sure if it's less subtle than the mod, haven't played that in awhile.

If nobody talks about it maybe it is not an issue.

I'm not sure what this issue is, does it have something to do with your setting perhaps ?

Pictures please.

I'll try to get pictures but some of the people here describe the issue well enough. You look at the horizon - everything is dark. You look at the grass in front of you - everything lightens up.

Edited by Infiltrator

No.

I have bloom off and HDR very low, still happens every time. I'm not sure if it's less subtle than the mod, haven't played that in awhile.

Interesting.  I have this issue as well but it's usually when I'm coming out of a shaded area into direct sunlight and I always figured I was just being blinded by the quick bright light but the characters pupils do not dilate to compensate for this so I end up having to look down.  

Interesting.  I have this issue as well but it's usually when I'm coming out of a shaded area into direct sunlight and I always figured I was just being blinded by the quick bright light but the characters pupils do not dilate to compensate for this so I end up having to look down.  

It doesn't have to do with it at all. I think it's best seen when you're at the top of a large building (perhaps the berezino apts), because there you have a large vertical area to cover (and thus more likely to notice the issue I'm describing) - try going up there and looking up and down, to the sea, buildings, block in front of you - the changes to the gamma are quite drastic based on what you look at, and you're standing in one position, you don't ever have to have the sun in your viewport either.

Edited by Infiltrator

It doesn't have to do with it at all. I think it's best seen when you're at the top of a large building (perhaps the berezino apts), because there you have a large vertical area to cover (and thus more likely to notice the issue I'm describing) - try going up there and looking up and down, to the sea, buildings, block in front of you - the changes to the gamma are quite drastic based on what you look at, and you're standing in one position, you don't ever have to have the sun in your viewport either.

I'll check it out once the servers are back up but unfortunately it's 4 am now and I should probably get to bed.  Luckily I have the rest of the week off plus weekend :D

Know exactly what you're talking about.

I'm pretty convinced that it's a lighting issue in-built, but it may be another issue with DX9/10/whateverthey'reusing that is unintentional.

It was definitely part of the mod however, and all this said doesn't make it any easier.

That said, it's not a complete gamebreaker, and as long as everyone else has it...

I have experienced this issue mostly when a server is in early morning/evening - it seems that the sky and land are too sharply contrast (the land too dark, the sky too bright), so that the HDR is gets confused (I think...). It might be worth changing your cloud setting. Set it to High or Very High, or just switch it to something other than what you currently have. I've had this fix my issues with over active HDR, but haven't properly tested it.

Arma 2 HDR effects for this were ridiculous. Your eyes adjust way quicker but I haven't really noticed it in the SA. Saying that, the new engine is bringing a new light model which will hopefully fix all of this :)

I think its just to emulate the effect of light in your eyes or light blindness

I think this is a plus in the game .. it is maybe exaggerated compared to reality ? .. but it is a real observable effect in the field.

If you are sniping, it is very good to put yourself in semi cover in front of a tree with the sun behind you shining on whatever you're observing. It will be much harder for them to see you than you to see them. This is good. And moving through forest you have light effects that can be dangerous and have to be taken into account. Shielding your eyes or looking slightly down or to the side to see better is a standard technique in reality.

This has got to be one of the most annoying issues nobody talks about. I frikin hate it when I have to look at a certain area in order to amplify or reduce the gamma of the game on-the-fly because someone though it would be good to have light that adapts almost instantly based on where you're looking at.

Something like this happened to me after switching between night time and day time servers. The effect was way more pronounced than normal and would persist between log ins.

Looking at the sun or sky would turn things very dark. Looking at the ground would make things very bright and it was very annoying.

Resetting my Video settings seemed to fix it for me. Hope that helps.

I'll try to get pictures but some of the people here describe the issue well enough. You look at the horizon - everything is dark. You look at the grass in front of you - everything lightens up.

You're talking about your eyes adjusting to light. The pirate with the eyepatch concept.

I haven't had an issue with how it functions enough to notice it at all.

Please remove this. I don't want to look at a rock so I can see what's on the other side of the hill more clearly.

Have you ever heard of rods and cones? Yes this phenomenon happens in real life

• Like 1

Think he is referring to the bloom or HDR in the game.

Where everything has a dark tint when looking slighly down away from what you are trying to look at sometimes makes it go away.

It was annoying in Arma 2 and its annoying now.

Arma 3 does not seem to suffer from it though.

It's annoying when I'm driving, but that's why sunglasses were invented.

Which leads me to suggest that wearing sunglasses in the game should reduce this effect, but with the side effect of making interiors and unlighted areas darker and harder to see.

Edited by Grindstone

Have you ever heard of rods and cones? Yes this phenomenon happens in real life

THIS phenomenon most certainly does NOT happen IRL: The screenshots are taken one after this other.

1. First screenshot is after I was looking at the ground for a couple of seconds

2. Second is immediately as I look up

3. Third is a few seconds after the "auto-gamma" adjustment kicks in.

http://imgur.com/a/LWqoK

Edited by Infiltrator