Sign in to follow this  
Trizzo

Improving Compass/Map Functionality

I'll start by saying I have no idea if there are any plans for the future of orienteering but I hope it is going to be addressed because the functionality of compass/map has regressed from the mod.

ii) Most importantly are there plans to be able to align compass and map on the same overlay to take meaninful bearings? Then will we be able to set grid/magnetic bearings via the dial.

This is where it gets a little tricky...The Compass Housing in DayZ roates as you turn. In reality only the magnetic needle turns and you manually turn the housing (the numbers) to line up with the red needle/direction of travel arrow. This is obviously done for ease of access (in order to avoid confusion because navigation can be hard to understand)

A soultion for all players to this 'issue' would be the ability to set the compass to either Automatic Housing Dial and Manual Housing Dial.

Automatic Housing Dial: The compass housing (the numbers) turns with the magnetic needle automaticlly. Which is to say leaving things exactlly as they are.

Manual Housing Dial: Only the magnetic needle moves UNTIL we roate the compass housing either clockwise or anti clockwise and thus set bearings! Simply add a mouse wheel option to toggle it manual/automatic when the compass is raised and use any key bind Q or E etc...for your housing rotation.

ii) Are they plans for more compass types? The most common and functional and widely avalible compass isn't to be found ala baseplate http://www.mcofs.org.uk/assets/mountainsafety/sa%20compass%20baseplate.jpg.

The current DayZ compass (prismatic/lens?) is antiquated which is fine but still not functional because you cannot rotate the bezel ring. All you can do is take a straight bearing but since you can't interact with the map it's usless for planning direction of travel.

iii) A more detailed map with more features, topographic chart

*Magnetic declination

*A nagivational assistant tool, grid reference overlay, http://casanovasadventures.com/catalog/maps/All-in-one-utm-reader-map-tool.jpg

*Persistent notes off players maps

*More variety of maps. Local tourism/town maps with highly detailed town/building descriptions, a general highway map say 1:50,000 or 1:100,000 scale, what even is the current scale of the indivudal maps....

What are your suggestions or navigtional tools you might want going foward? Comon though! Where is the love for functional navigation....

Edited by Trizzo

Declination in DayZ?

Agree one hundred on the topo maps. I fucking need to know how high the hill is going to be so I can terrain associate. Let me find some American MGRS maps at crash sites. No Blackhawk flies without em.

Persistent notes/map marking? Hell yes.

Also, orient your map north, and you don't need to rotate the bezel. Less steps-less room for error.

I do really want to see the compass/map interaction kicked up.

But I also want a GPS.

Declination in DayZ? Agree one hundred on the topo maps. I fucking need to know how high the hill is going to be so I can terrain associate. Let me find some American MGRS maps at crash sites. No Blackhawk flies without em. Also, orient your map north, and you don't need to rotate the bezel. Less steps-less room for error.

But I also want a GPS.

Magnetic declination, small thing but nice touch for long range and agree with the rest.

And different model GPS would be nice from grid reference only to full display models.