Evil Minion

More involved item repair

So right now repair works the following:

• have a damaged repairable item (not ruined)
  • find a matching repair kit (sewing, weapon cleaning etc.)
  • use it for instant repair until repair kit degrades

I propose a slightly more involved version where you not only need a repair kit but also (in some cases) repair materials. The material in question would depend on the item in question. For this items should be grouped - each group shares repair materials and can also use other elemnets from the same group as such. So a T-shirt could be repaired by using either Rags or another T-shirt as repair material (no in this case it would make sense to produce some rags when repairing to avoid it being a trap).

In return items should be a little more resistant to degradion but should degrade to worn state simply by being worn. Repair kits should degrade much slower as they no longer provide the material (if they do - for example weapons cleaning kits - they degrade faster).

Example groups for clothes:

• {T-shirt, Shirt, Hoodie, Tactical Shirt, Tracksuit Jacket, Tracksuit Pants} can use rags
  • {Canvas Pants, Canvas Pants Short}
  • {Burlap Sack, Burlap Wrap, Improvised Courier Bag, Improvised Backpack}
  • {Cargo Pants, Hunter Pants, uniform pieces, Jeans}
  • {Wool Coat}
  • {Down Jacket}
  • {Riders Jacket, Chest Holster, Leather backpacks} can use hide but might require a knife as well

This way more common low quality items would have the advantage of having plenty or repair materials around and the high tier items everyone is looking for might end up more difficult to repair which would add another layer of depth into the "gear up and stay geared" mechanism.

Of course other than not providing any protection ruined clothes and containers should also lose their ability to store items. This would give you a legit reason to sport Tracksuit Pants for a short period of time.

Edited by Evil Minion
  • Like 5

Several interesting thoughts, like it, but ruined gear not storing your stuff any more? Shot->backpack ruined->all gear in there lost? Not good, the amount of ruined gear in containers when they get ruined is already too high as far as I am concerned. Switching to (not pink) tracksuit pants is aleady good, when your pants are ruined because of armor...

• Like 1

Several interesting thoughts, like it, but ruined gear not storing your stuff any more? Shot->backpack ruined->all gear in there lost? Not good, the amount of ruined gear in containers when they get ruined is already too high as far as I am concerned. Switching to (not pink) tracksuit pants is aleady good, when your pants are ruined because of armor...

Once the backpack becomes ruined it slowly starts loosing slots and dropping those items onto the ground.

I definitely think they need to make certain clothing more rugged though.

I personally think rags should be used with a sewing kit to craft a patch, which could add durability, small damage could be repaired with just a sewing kit though, also duct tape should be the ultimate repair everything item.

• Like 1

Concerning clothing,how about we scavage different varities of sewing threads as loot?

Depending on the garment's coulor use the sewing thread as a medium(consumable) and the sewing kit as the tool.

50-ts-cotton.jpg

The riders jacket,and all the rest leather items could use leather+sewing kit in order to repair. :)

About meele weapons repair/crafting,i made a suggestion in the past.(excuse my shameless bump,check it out if you wish)

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/174903-melee-weapons-repaircrafting-system/

I don't like the fact you can't salvage ruined clothes and clothes generally don't last long at all... It's leading to constantly having to switch clothes.

It's very inconsistent and hard to judge when your clothes are about to be ruined for example... I'll check my clothes condition after every tussle with a zed and see it as PRESTINE or WORN... after 5-6 tussles, it's still worn or prestine.. then 1 or 2 hits later will utterly ruin the clothes and all or most items

I hope it either gets nerfed so your clothes aren't getting constantly torn up to shreds or features get added and here's where the suggestion comes in.

~Restore RUINED civilian clothes with the exhaustion of a sewing kit and use of 3 or more cloths. This may restore it to badly damaged or damaged.

~With the use of a sewing kit, you can use any clothing to fully restore an identical piece of clothing as long as the desired clothing is WORN, the other clothing can be ANY condition, but not RUINED.

I knew this idea was on the table, saves me from posting that. Much better idea's a here and I hope the land on the dev table.

How about an animation for repairing anything? Instant repair breaks the immersion for me. Make my avatar mend that shit.

The more damaged it is, the more mats you need to repair an item. I wouldn't mind being able to repair even ruined items so long as they can only get to damaged and look all patchy and lose a slot of storage or something.

I'm all for rags being the new in game currency!