Sign in to follow this  
Hexxalot

Option to examine another players' body parts

I suggest an option to examine another players' body parts. To check for things like handcuff marks, bruises, scratches, cuts, gunshots, etc. This would increase roleplay alot. If there's one thing that will make you trust someone much less, (assuming you haven't KOS'd him yet) it's seeing handcuff marks and gunshot wounds on him.

Just like in real life, examining every body part would be a bit time consuming, so their would be an option to examine each of his/her body parts.

Examples:

*Examine wrists* "Bob has dark purple handcuff marks"

*Examine chest* "Bob has multiple bruises"

*Examine arms* "Bob has been shot in the arm"

*Examine legs* "Bob has multiple scratches on his arms"

*Examine feet* "Bob has swollen feet"

• Like 1

This would increase roleplay alot. If there's one thing that will make you trust someone much less, (assuming you haven't KOS'd him yet) it's seeing handcuff marks and gunshot wounds on him.

Is this "more roleplay" the new "it would be more realistic" argument for every suggestion?

Why would it even increase role play? Are you becoming a bandit after being handcuffed? So your purple marks make you role playing?

Also, why would you stop trusting someone if you notice handcuff marks on him? Isn't it a good thing that he was the victim and not the offender?

Anyway, a good idea. But the one being inspected should have to allow it if he's not dead / unconscious. Maybe you should have the possibility to inspect yourself for wounds before bandaging, cleaning the wound etc.

• Like 1

I just don't really see the point. The only use I can imagine is if a player is dead, when you check their pulse it says "bob has no pulse. He has several gunshot wounds." Or zombie scratches or something to say how he died.

As for the living, most people won't even let you check their pulse for their name, let alone meticulously examining the body for signs of their past.

I just don't really see the point. The only use I can imagine is if a player is dead, when you check their pulse it says "bob has no pulse. He has several gunshot wounds." Or zombie scratches or something to say how he died.

As for the living, most people won't even let you check their pulse for their name, let alone meticulously examining the body for signs of their past.

1. Just because a player is alive doesn't make checking his wounds pointless

2. It would obviously be a bit time consuming, as I said before.

Is this "more roleplay" the new "it would be more realistic" argument for every suggestion?

Why would it even increase role play? Are you becoming a bandit after being handcuffed? So your purple marks make you role playing?

Also, why would you stop trusting someone if you notice handcuff marks on him? Isn't it a good thing that he was the victim and not the offender?

Anyway, a good idea. But the one being inspected should have to allow it if he's not dead / unconscious. Maybe you should have the possibility to inspect yourself for wounds before bandaging, cleaning the wound etc.

1. Isn't realism a huge aspect of the game?

2. I didn't say it would "Make you a bandit", i said it would make you look more suspicious

Wouldn't being handcuffed and shot mean the guy surrendered instead of attacking people he saw?

I would like to be able to tell how someone died however, maybe even to the point of knowing what calibur shot him.

Rubbing someone down might be best left for your imagination while roleplaying the good guy strip searching someone.

1. Just because a player is alive doesn't make checking his wounds pointless

2. It would obviously be a bit time consuming, as I said before.

So what is the point? You cannot possibly make any sound judgements based on if a person was shot. It doesn't tell you if they are the instigator or the defender. Handcuff marks? So he got preyed on and survived. So what?

And second, I understand it would be time consuming. What I was saying is people rarely let strangers get close enough to check their pulse which takes 1 second. Why would they let them check for wounds for 5 seconds? If you are already that trusting to leave yourself exposed and stationary while checking them out, I'm the results wouldn't sway you in any way.

• Like 1

So what is the point? You cannot possibly make any sound judgements based on if a person was shot. It doesn't tell you if they are the instigator or the defender. Handcuff marks? So he got preyed on and survived. So what?

And second, I understand it would be time consuming. What I was saying is people rarely let strangers get close enough to check their pulse which takes 1 second. Why would they let them check for wounds for 5 seconds? If you are already that trusting to leave yourself exposed and stationary while checking them out, I'm the results wouldn't sway you in any way.

I really don't understand your logic in saying that the possibility that the person you're checking is a bandit who was just in a gunfight with innocents is pointless.

Second, believe it or not, not everyone is the KOS type, try to consider all the different playstyles. You're basing all of your comments on the fact that YOU wouldn't examine someone and muster up the will to wonder what had happened to that person, think about how other people like to play.

I really don't understand your logic in saying that the possibility that the person you're checking is a bandit who was just in a gunfight with innocents is pointless.

Second, believe it or not, not everyone is the KOS type, try to consider all the different playstyles. You're basing all of your comments on the fact that YOU wouldn't examine someone and muster up the will to wonder what had happened to that person, think about how other people like to play.

I don't think you understand what I am saying.  There is a possibility that ANYONE is a bandit, regardless of the presence of wounds or lack thereof.  Same as how there is a possibility that ANYONE is friendly, regardless of the presence of wounds or lack thereof.  Any stranger could say they were attacked and survived, and they could be telling the truth.  It is just as plausible that they are lying; they attacked someone and met retaliation, yet still survived the showdown.  The point is, having visible injuries is irrelevant, because it doesn't tell you anything other than some shit went down.  What exactly happened?  Nobody will ever know except for those who witnessed it.

If I have to make it any simpler: Everybody gets shot at some point or another in this game, regardless of what they are doing.  Thus, knowing that somebody survived a gunshot does not tell you anything of importance.  You cannot deduce the type of player from his wounds because everybody at some point will get wounded.

Edited by doctajones
  • Like 1

"Option to examine another players' body parts"

WQ8YlYS.jpg?1

I don't think you understand what I am saying.  There is a possibility that ANYONE is a bandit, regardless of the presence of wounds or lack thereof.  Same as how there is a possibility that ANYONE is friendly, regardless of the presence of wounds or lack thereof.  Any stranger could say they were attacked and survived, and they could be telling the truth.  It is just as plausible that they are lying; they attacked someone and met retaliation, yet still survived the showdown.  The point is, having visible injuries is irrelevant, because it doesn't tell you anything other than some shit went down.  What exactly happened?  Nobody will ever know except for those who witnessed it.

If I have to make it any simpler: Everybody gets shot at some point or another in this game, regardless of what they are doing.  Thus, knowing that somebody survived a gunshot does not tell you anything of importance.  You cannot deduce the type of player from his wounds because everybody at some point will get wounded.

I don't think you understand what I'M saying. As a person who actually plays the game, I completely understand that anyone could be a bandit. I completely understand how anyone could be friendly. But to me, meeting someone with gunshots leaves me in even more suspicion and wonder, I understand that someone with gunshot wounds could be just as easily a bandit as friendly. However... what if one of your buddies is trying to describe someone but that person has changed clothes or something? He could say "I shot him in the right arm" or something like that. My point is it can not only be helpful by raising suspicion for someone you've just met after hearing a gunfight or something like that, but it would also be very helpful for identifying someone. Here's an example:

While wandering around elektro, you and your buddies (Who are heros and prefer not to KOS) hear an entire magazine be unloaded not too far away. You all quickly take cover, you're all armed with mosins. You see a fully geared man run across the streets and loot a dead body, you and your friends surround him and demand he drop his weapon. Being surrounded, the person puts his hands up and drops his weapon and backpack. A couple of you walk up to him while the rest have their guns trained on him. Your buddy handcuffs him and demands he tell you where those gunshots came from. He yells out "He shot me!", after handcuffing him, one of your friends examines him, he has no gunshot wounds anywhere. You weren't 100% sure if this person was a bandit before, but now you are thanks to the *examine arms~examine chest~examine head~ examine legs~examine feet* options.

1. Isn't realism a huge aspect of the game?

Sure, and I am all for realism and ideas like yours but by now it bores me to read "it would increase roleplay" (the new version of "it would increase realism"). This is the standard argument for any suggestion and I just wanted to advise you to think of more and different arguments to back up your idea. Not everybody will like instantly. I'm confused that there is still no one who said: "but how is it important for surviving" (the standard argument against most nice small ideas)

• Like 1

I like this idea to a point , it definitely could help you in maybe 20% of altercations , the example the OP had is probably the only situation that it would be helpful but hey, I love the idea of adding more complex Layers to the whole trust thing.. even if that guy (in the ops example) had some how not gotten shot and was in fact innocent, it adds a new dynamic which is further paranoia towards strangers ... I think if this was in it should definitely not be in the scroll wheel options cuz that would be annoying lol .

But I say if this isn't too hard to implement then go for it but like others have stated there's only a small amount of use for it but if we start adding in these little things now the game will be amazing just with these small details, so it could be worth it .

However... what if one of your buddies is trying to describe someone but that person has changed clothes or something? He could say "I shot him in the right arm" or something like that. My point is it can not only be helpful by raising suspicion for someone you've just met after hearing a gunfight or something like that, but it would also be very helpful for identifying someone. Here's an example:

...Hear an entire magazine be unloaded not too far away. You see a fully geared man run across the streets and loot a dead body, you and your friends surround him and demand he drop his weapon. Being surrounded, the person puts his hands up and drops his weapon and backpack. Your buddy handcuffs him and demands he tell you where those gunshots came from. He yells out "He shot me!", after handcuffing him, one of your friends examines him, he has no gunshot wounds anywhere. You weren't 100% sure if this person was a bandit before, but now you are thanks to the *examine arms~examine chest~examine head~ examine legs~examine feet* options.

I get how that can work in your example, but once again, it is unnecessary. I am sure most people (i am positive at least one in your group) recognize the unique sounds of specific firearms in DayZ, and you can definitely recognize if there is a firefight going on rather than a one-sided affair. Just look at the geared guy's weapons to see if it matches what your heard. You don't need to be a detective to put those clues together.

Also, my point from before was people will hardly let you get close enough to check their pulse which is instant, let alone letting a stranger feel them up for several seconds of standing still with zero benefit to them. Thus, you would need to handcuff people or hold them at gun point to even use this feature. By that time, you are either a bandit and don't care about the person anyways, or you are a hero and already have your suspicions/evidence to be holding someone up in the first place.

The situations where this would be useful is probably less than 20 in 1000 encounters. I can't seem to recall any time in my ~250 hours of playing where I could have used this feature for any worth (and yes, I play a friendly character). As I have said previously, it would make sense for dead people for determining the recency and cause of death, but for a living character the use is so limited I don't think it is worth implementation unless INCREDIBLY easy and quick to code. Which, with my limited experience in coding, is never the case; the time is simply better spent elsewhere.

Edited by doctajones
  • Like 1

How about a much more useful feature like...

"Check player's time of death"

---

"Player appears to have been killed very recently."

"Player appears to have been killed somewhat recently."

"Player appears to have been killed some time ago."

"Player appears to have been killed a long time ago."

Edited by Rags