stielhandgranate

Potental sawed off-able weapon: M79

As critical as I am with the devs, one real nice feature of this game is the ability to cut down certain weapons and trade advantages and disadvantages for it.With two weapons that have this feature already in game I believe the M79 is a suitable third.

What is the M79 for those who aren't weapon aficionados? It is a single shot, break action 40mm grenade launcher that has mostly been replaced with the M203 and M320 series grenade launchers in the US military. It currently still sees limited service due to the fact that it has a longer maximum effective range and can accept certain 40mm grenade rounds that are too long for the M203. Apparently Special Forces groups have taken to cutting down the barrels and stocks of M79s to make compact launchers called "pirate guns" by their operators. 

How could this all fit in game? Well 40mm rounds are confirmed and the M79 in it's current configuration could be an alternative to people using M203s and having to locate leaf sights and a compatible rifle to attach them to. Cutting down a M79 will have you lose a lot of the range and the sights, but offer you a compact weapon you can still use in certain situations and conceal from others in your garments.

Here is an image of a sawed off M79:

M6joB.jpg

And here is a image of a unmolested M79:

m79.jpg

• Like 5

So we are adding the Loch-n-Load from TF2? meh, to realistic for me.

• Like 1

i don't even know why we would have a fucking grenade launcher, plain grenades not dangerous enough?

• Like 1

They phased that out in 'Nam and it's American to boot.

Lame.  Grenade launchers are for 12-year-olds, keep that garbage out of my game.  Real men fight with sharpened sticks and shoelaces.

Still quite a lot of them in use in Africa and the middle east, but yes its old and American made.

Still quite a lot of them in use in Africa and the middle east, but yes its old and American made.

Yes, but that's different because many nations received old American surplus. Being an ex-Soviet republic you can bet there wouldn't be any M79s in Chernarus prior to the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991, and you can also bet that after that they would not have gone and purchased a bunch of obsolete American Vietnam-era standalone grenade launchers that also require them to supply their troops with another type of grenade.

• Like 2

Yes, but that's different because many nations received old American surplus. Being an ex-Soviet republic you can bet there wouldn't be any M79s in Chernarus prior to the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991, and you can also bet that after that they would not have gone and purchased a bunch of obsolete American Vietnam-era standalone grenade launchers that also require them to supply their troops with another type of grenade.

Totally agree with you Gews, just pointing out that they're still around and Africa and middle east, old, rusty and generally in poor condition.

Totally agree with you Gews, just pointing out that they're still around and Africa and middle east, old, rusty and generally in poor condition.

That would be a pretty cool map actually. I liked the mini-jungle on Isla Duala.

That would be a pretty cool map actually. I liked the mini-jungle on Isla Duala.

No thanks I work in that area enough as it is ta. Its nice to see some European foliage

• Like 1

Wasn't the CDF funded by Americans in A2?

Iconic weapon for sure.

I would be ok for it being added so long as

1. It made sense and the weapon is wide spread in Use in western nations.

2. This replaced the m203 forcing the need for a standalone grenade launcher forcing people to choose if they want a nade launcher or an assault rifle.

VIwkqO4.jpg

Would that be more common in Russia ?

I don't understand why people are pretending that the devs haven't already released the in-game models for not one, but two grenade launchers for standalone. It is a matter of time before they are in game. There were grenade launchers in the mod and they were hardly game-breaking. Also the M79 hasn't been completely withdrawn from US military service. The imgae in OP is from a book about the Bin Laden raid.

Here is an other example of the M79 in limited service:

http://www.1stmardiv.marines.mil/News/NewsArticleDisplay/tabid/8585/Article/87041/marines-test-blooper-against-roadside-bomb-threat.aspx

• Like 1

There were grenade launchers in the mod and they were hardly game-breaking.

Yea and the mod was Arma 2 with zombies thus a heavy military focus not so much this time around.

Yea and the mod was Arma 2 with zombies thus a heavy military focus not so much this time around.

Still, the devs have already modeled the GP-25 and M203 for standalone.

http://www.dayztv.com/pic/dayz-m203-gp-25-grenade-launcher-3d-model-leak-dayz-standalone/

Edited by Dale Gribble

http://www.dayztv.com/pic/dayz-m203-gp-25-grenade-launcher-3d-model-leak-dayz-standalone/

So both grenade launchers that have been modeled by the devs are not in fact stand alone grenade launchers but rather underbarrel systems. More logic to me really as there are the weapons to mount them and they are used in most combat units so chances of finding a weapon with one attached ,or, finding one to attach to a weapon system is much higher.

If they're already bringing in 2 which will fit under the assault rifles currently in the game I really don't see the reason to add yet another single shot in to the mix.

I can also find a plethora of weapons and weapons systems still in 'limited' service within the military, specifically SF units.

Iconic weapon for sure.

I would be ok for it being added so long as

1. It made sense and the weapon is wide spread in Use in western nations.

2. This replaced the m203 forcing the need for a standalone grenade launcher forcing people to choose if they want a nade launcher or an assault rifle.

1. No its not, show me standard military forces using this in a widespread manner, most use underbarrel systems and I spent enough time with them. Stand alones are used more these days by LE in crowd control situations firing non lethals.

2. We all know that this will not force guys to choose between an assault rifle or GL. GL in the hands for the first shot and then straight to the assault rifle on the back to mop up dropping the grenade launcher. so whether they have a stand alone in the hands or a single shot underbarrel really makes no difference does it.

These models are in the game since the release.

DEVs have been asked many times already, but they said "Not yet", as far as I know.

There are certain things in the gamefiles, which are not released, and may make it into the game (there's a sawn off Blaze 95, M249-LMG, MG4, I believe. The Ruger 10/22 can equip a LRS, according to the gamefiles somehow)

Edited by irishroy

So both grenade launchers that have been modeled by the devs are not in fact stand alone grenade launchers but rather underbarrel systems. More logic to me really as there are the weapons to mount them and they are used in most combat units so chances of finding a weapon with one attached ,or, finding one to attach to a weapon system is much higher.

If they're already bringing in 2 which will fit under the assault rifles currently in the game I really don't see the reason to add yet another single shot in to the mix.

I can also find a plethora of weapons and weapons systems still in 'limited' service within the military, specifically SF units.

Well, the M4A1 is not as common as one thinks in the military as most direct combat personnel receive an M4, or an M16A4. M4A1s see more use with Special Forces. "Uncommon" weapons in use with Special Forces should be welcome (we already have that .22 suppressed pistol as well), as long as it isn't game breaking. This specular weapon has the advantage of being retooled into a sawed off.

That being said the M79 can be used to deploy less than lethal grenades for crowd control. Seeing how Chernarussian police forces use the MP5, an inexpensive grenade launcher from the west doesn't seem so far off seeing how many 40mm less than lethal grenades are available on the market. They could be police spawns that happen to be compatible with military 40mm rounds.

Gameplay wise it has its merits. Your group wants a grenadier that has reach? Well now being a grenadier is the only thing they can be unless they want to chop up their gun and lose the effectiveness it once had.

Edited by Dale Gribble

As standard-issue, yes. But we still have inventory and they are still used today by a few groups. The "sawed-off" version displayed in the picture above is what's known as a "pirate gun" typically carried by special forces groups. I believe the image above actually comes from a SEAL, specifically the author of "No Easy Day" the story about the raid on Bin Laden.

That being said, any sort of grenade launcher should be ultra-rare globally, including ammo.

As standard-issue, yes. But we still have inventory and they are still used today by a few groups. The "sawed-off" version displayed in the picture above is what's known as a "pirate gun" typically carried by special forces groups. I believe the image above actually comes from a SEAL, specifically the author of "No Easy Day" the story about the raid on Bin Laden.

That being said, any sort of grenade launcher should be ultra-rare globally, including ammo.

I'd imagine something like this being more common than the M203s or GP-25s, simply because the mounted grenade launchers can be used concurrent to the rifle platform without any real drawbacks (unless they make weight and weapon maneuverability more affected by attachments) while with this you'd be essentially forced to carry it as a primary weapon.

Not saying either should be common, but the standalone GL is less versatile than the mounted ones overall.

Well, considering that in ArmA 2 special operations forces were the primary group in Chernarus, and the rest were Marine Force Recon, who are still a pretty specialized group, and guns like the Amphibia S appear, you could say that they were left behind. Obviously you'd only have a few at best, but the numbers tend to be exaggerated so that there's actually a point in adding them. This could go concurrent with limiting most of these types of weapons to helicopter crashsites, so you at least have a semi-plausible explanation.

That, and they were used by the Takistanis in Operation Arrowhead (not on any of the character models, but they are in ammo crates), so it's quite possible Takistani arms dealers gave weapons to the Chernarussian insurgents, among them M79s.

And lest we forget that the M79 isn't obsolete, it just stopped becoming a general carry weapon because soldiers were more vulnerable carrying just a grenade launcher whereas mounted M203s were found to be more practical. However, that didn't stop the M79 from going all over the place, including Europe (see Greece, Portugal, and Spain).

Very good points. I never even considered the Takistani connection (how could I not seeing how it will rationalize the presence of FN FALs).

i don't even know why we would have a fucking grenade launcher, plain grenades not dangerous enough?

not really

Lame.  Grenade launchers are for 12-year-olds, keep that garbage out of my game.  Real men fight with sharpened sticks and shoelaces.

Good luck with the sticks against automatic weapons.

Also

3_27-28-425-697_2003091253743.jpg

This guy look like a 12 year old?

Also

His only experience with grenade launchers are the FPS games. I didn't know the Brits adopted the M320.

Also

The sticks comment was sarcasm. No, the picture you posted appears to be a full grown man kitted with military gear.  That's okay though, I understand that you're taking everything I say literally.  Fortunately for me, I don't (with my bare, real life hands) have to fight grown men with assault rifles with my sticks.  What I'm implying is that children that play this game will easily get hold of these GLs and spray grenades (Woah maybe I need to slow down and explain that is hyperbole, lest you take me seriously) all over the map like we're playing CoD or BF.  Especially if they're as common as any other attachment for any other gun. Which they will likely be.