Sign in to follow this  
Draco122

Tarpaulins & Stashes Idea

Just something I thought could be added and potentially used in-game in various forms through crafting. A Tarpaulin or Tarp is a sheet of strong water-resistant or waterproof material made out of cloth canvas, polyester urethane or plastic polyethylene.

It comes in a sheet of various sizes and materials, each one could be used for a different purpose or have a unique set of crafting properties.

Types

Cloth Canvas (coloured Olive Green or Brown)

Polyester Urethane/Plastic Polyethylene (colored Blue, Yellow/Orange, Lime Green, Silver, Red and Purple

Military Tarpaulin (extra strength, colored in a military camo pattern)

General Crafting ideas for Tarpaulin of all types

• Tarpaulin Shelter - An improvised shelter made out of an Ashwood Stick, some Rocks, Wooden Sticks, Rope, Duct Tape and a Tarpaulin. Is like the regular camping tent but holds less items and the items are prone to damage from the elements without proper protection first. The material of it's construction determines how effective it is at shielding you and your items from the elements. Cloth Canvas Tarps for example are water-resistant but not waterproof while plastic and urethane are water-proof.

Tarpaulin_fly_tent.jpg

• Tarpaulin Courier Bag - With some Rope and a sheet of Tarpaulin, one can make an improvised courier bag

Advanced Crafting ideas for Tarpaulin

• MillBank Bag - With a knife and a Cloth Canvas Tarpaulin, it can be cut down into a smaller pieces of which can be crafted with some rope and duct tape into a millbank bag. This is a water purification item which slowly purifies water over a period of time. For example, 1 bottle of dirty water can be "purified" with 2 hours of game time.
  • Stash - Tarpaulins can be an element of "Stashes" which were featured in the mod as an element of secret item storage for players. Tarpaulins can be used to prevent items becoming damaged. More info below.

Stashes

The second idea relates to adding "Stashes" from the Mod into Standalone. For those that don't know, in the modification players could construct a "Stash" from small to Medium which acted as a form of underground storage which was incredibly hard to spot by players (of which only the person who created it, would know it's location or those with keen eyesight). It ties in with the above idea of Tarpaulins.

In the standalone I believe you could create three versions, Small, Medium and Large with the following materials. However, to balance things out from Tents, Stashes would naturally degrade items over time with water damage or be completely ruined if left for an extended period of time if they don't have the proper materials in their construction.

• Small - Crafted using a Burlap sack and Duct Tape, a player will dig a small hole in the ground with their hands and place a burlap sack in the hole, covering it over with soil. It will show up in world as a small mound of loose soil. A player can then deposit upto 12 items (same as a courier bag) into the stash. However, items will degrade with time from water damage. Only a small protector case will prevent items from being damaged but only upto 1 Case can be added to the stash for balance reasons.
  • Medium - Crafted using a Tarpaulin, Rope and Duct Tape providing the player has a shovel, they can create a Medium Stash. It will show up in-world as a large patch of loose soil. It holds upto 20 slots. Items are damaged overtime should the Tarpaulin be a Canvas type but the rate of damage will be much slower with a plastic tarpaulin. Additional elements can be added such as grass for better camouflage.
  • Large - Crafted using 2x Firewood, 2x Wooden Sticks, Duct Tape and Rope providing the player has a Shovel. The player will create a large stash that can hold upto 30 slots worth of items. The Large appears as a mound of soil, with what looks like some logs and sticks poking out of it (it looks more like a concealed trapdoor). Items inside will be water damaged over time but it can be prevented by adding 2x plastic Tarpaulins inside. Additionally, Grass and Grass Wraps can be added to further improve camouflage.

Small

500px-Stash-Small_Closeup_DayZ-Wiki.png

Large

Stash-Medium_-_Close-up.png

• Like 1

I have similar thoughts on the topic, though I would use a couple of models first that are already in the game. Your tarpaulin stashes seem quite large and suited for a big camp, but I usually go about in a three man group, so we prefer something a bit less grand.

There are at least four models of dead trees and treestumps in the game. Some of which would make excelllent hiding places for a stash. I would imagine, you need a knife/axe and some wire to dig a cavity and camoflage it. The stump can only be checked by knowing where to look for the cavity and digging it up. So not too many people would go through the hassle of checking every stump. It could also be possible to move those (empty) stumps around, so you can place them wherever your camp is. I particulary like this idea for the one large stump:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410716801

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197974741105/screenshots/

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410717027 

I think this is actually how bushcrafters hide their gear. A stump could be a great starting point for a small to medium camp.