11tw

Poisons (and various herbology)

I am not an expert botanist, and so some research would be have to done into this obviously. However I am aware that stewing deadly nightshade (AKA belladonna) and boiling it down makes quite a potent poison. This could be used for hunting (as it can take hours to kill a deer with a bow in real life).

Also, herbs tend to be good for you (as far as I'm aware). Maybe we could add herbs to the insides of bandages to help fight infection (again I am not sure which herbs. Maybe a book could spawn which teaches the player which ones are good for bandages). I do know that certain herbs have proven medicinal properties, and this could add some depth to the medical system, giving you an option other than the drug-based medicine (which would obviously still be more effective, because drugs are REALLY good for you).

Edited by 11tw

You'd be surprized what you can make poison from.  You know Ricen?  The plant it's made from grows in thickets near my old high school.

You'd be surprized what you can make poison from.  You know Ricen?  The plant it's made from grows in thickets near my old high school.

my childhood home had tons of poison oak and deadly nightshade in the garden... still don't know how we all made it out alive.

herbology aka herbalism or herbal medicine. Not to be confused with magic.

just make poison from the green berries and put it on the primitive arrows B)

I'd like to see poison in the game.

You'd need tools to grind it, and mechanisms to cook it down (which already exist in the game). I imagine it could be stored in glass bottles (which already exist in the game).

There's plenty of poisonous plants out there, but in a jiffy, even poop could work, or a rotting corpse.

For plants I'd like to see:

(These plants are found in Europe, thus fit in the lore)

Deadly Nightshade

Hellebore

Aconitum (Monkshood aka wolf's bane)

And also perhaps harvested from vipers?

I'd like to see this be applicable to melee weapons as well as bows and arrows.

In fact the modern word today, toxin, is from toxicum, pertaining to bows.

As the game progresses their would be more use for such an idea, here is a similar proposal:

1. Aloe Vera - Small amount of calories if eaten, can be used to soothe burns, or as a protective agent against harmful bacteria or viruses, only grows in sandy areas.

2. Cacti - Can be cut for water, spikes can be removed and added to baseball bat for increased damage + bleeding chance, can be used to fashion a fishing hook, only grows in very sandy areas.

3. Grapes - Can be mixed into anti-oxident potion, which cures disease and provides small nutritional value, can be fermented into alcohol, which when drank generally causes the users screen to wobble a bit but adds a small (5/100?) bonus to damage threshold.

4. Colored plants - Can be used to make different dyes.

5. Marijuana - Attracts animals when harvested and placed on ground, can be mixed with aloe vera to create a potion that decreases bleeding chance upon being hit (for an hour or so?), has to be used more than 3 times with 2 minute intervals in between to cure sickness.  Can be used to stop vomiting (in most situations).

Another idea I had is taking zombie guts and rubbing them all over myself to avoid being attacked be zombies.  Can I get a Hell Yeah?

As the game progresses their would be more use for such an idea, here is a similar proposal:

1. Aloe Vera - Small amount of calories if eaten You'll regret it..., can be used to soothe burns as well as bug bites (centipede, scorpion, bee stings), or as a protective agent against harmful bacteria or viruses first time I've heard of that, only grows in sandy areas. I call bullshit on that it grows wherever the hell it wants.

2. Cacti - Can be cut for water, spikes needles can be removed and added to baseball bat for increased damage + bleeding chance not sure if they're strong enough to be hammered into wood, can be used to fashion a fishing hook, only grows in very sandy areas also calling bullshit, while most commonly found in deserts (not just 'sandy' areas) they grow in other areas too, though not sure if there would be any in Chenarus.

3. Grapes - Can be mixed into anti-oxident potion, which cures disease which disease? and provides small nutritional value, can be fermented into alcohol, which when drank generally causes the users screen to wobble a bit but adds a small (5/100?) bonus to damage threshold.  Don't think they're going to add RPG type modifiers like that.

4. Colored plants - Can be used to make different dyes.  Could use a bit more elaboration on this

5. Marijuana - Attracts animals when harvested and placed on ground not sure if that's particularly true of this plant, can be mixed with aloe vera to create a potion that decreases bleeding chance upon being hit (for an hour or so?) again, don't think they're going to add RPGish type things like this, also curious as to how you came about this information/recipe, has to be used more than 3 times with 2 minute intervals in between to cure sickness again, which sickness?.  Can be used to stop vomiting (in most situations).

Another idea I had is taking zombie guts and rubbing them all over myself to avoid being attacked be zombies.  Can I get a Hell Yeah?  No but you can get a Nasty Infection.

Edited by BigMike

1. Aloe Vera - Small amount of calories if eaten, can be used to soothe burns, or as a protective agent against harmful bacteria or viruses, only grows in sandy areas.

2. Cacti - Can be cut for water, spikes can be removed and added to baseball bat for increased damage + bleeding chance, can be used to fashion a fishing hook, only grows in very sandy areas.

3. Grapes - Can be mixed into anti-oxident potion, which cures disease and provides small nutritional value, can be fermented into alcohol, which when drank generally causes the users screen to wobble a bit but adds a small (5/100?) bonus to damage threshold.

4. Colored plants - Can be used to make different dyes.

5. Marijuana - Attracts animals when harvested and placed on ground, can be mixed with aloe vera to create a potion that decreases bleeding chance upon being hit (for an hour or so?), has to be used more than 3 times with 2 minute intervals in between to cure sickness.  Can be used to stop vomiting (in most situations).

Another idea I had is taking zombie guts and rubbing them all over myself to avoid being attacked be zombies.  Can I get a Hell Yeah?

Marijuana is useful for steadying the nerves. Alcohol, marijuana, and beta blockers are all useful at steadying your nerves. That's why they're all banned by the olympics, they used to have shooting components. 

Caffeine has the opposite effect.