gibonez

How to stop server hopping.

server hopping keeps EVERY SERVER active. 

its a great idea. so many games go under and peoples resources wasted on these 0/40 servers for all the other games that failed. 

not dayz. this idea is paramount for anyone hosting a dayz server. 

your always going to get people in. 

dont remove it.

We are not talking about removing the ability to change servers, but how often do you want to switch? Ppl who visit empty servers and jump in at a military compound, search it and then go to the next server 10 minutes later are not keeping servers active. The only leave them with an unbalanced loot table.

You will always be able to switch between servers in the public hive or even in private slices.

Edited by bautschi
  • Like 2

I really hope that is not true.

I really hope the server hoppers are only a small fragment of the community that are actively ruining the game for everyone else.

As for this solution it is just a rough idea. It of course would get worked on by the devs to the point of perfection.

The idea of moving the player away in a random direction serves to stop the problem as well as slow those that are insistent on server hopping.

It's really only going to be more detrimental to regular players than it is to server hoppers.

Running 1km in DayZ only takes a few minutes, and for someone who has enough time to spare to loot, it's not going to be a huge problem. Conversely, someone who's trying to get as much out of the time they have is going to be extremely frustrated when they appear randomly a kilometer away because they were kicked off of the last servers they joined.

That's not to mention how the random placement wouldn't be very easy to do, because the likelihood of one spawning stuck inside an object can be quite significant, especially depending on where you are. Or, you could end up spawning a mile away from the shore in the middle of the ocean. It's sort of like how randomly spawning around the map is a bad idea (and it's already been confirmed by Brian that random spawning is not something they're going to do)

The only way to truly end server hopping is to get rid of the public hive system entirely. You have to either restrict players to a single server or get rid of the public hive, otherwise it's still possibly to gear up on other servers, no matter how difficult or time consuming you make it.

It's really only going to be more detrimental to regular players than it is to server hoppers.

Running 1km in DayZ only takes a few minutes, and for someone who has enough time to spare to loot, it's not going to be a huge problem. Conversely, someone who's trying to get as much out of the time they have is going to be extremely frustrated when they appear randomly a kilometer away because they were kicked off of the last servers they joined.

That's not to mention how the random placement wouldn't be very easy to do, because the likelihood of one spawning stuck inside an object can be quite significant, especially depending on where you are. Or, you could end up spawning a mile away from the shore in the middle of the ocean. It's sort of like how randomly spawning around the map is a bad idea (and it's already been confirmed by Brian that random spawning is not something they're going to do)

The only way to truly end server hopping is to get rid of the public hive system entirely. You have to either restrict players to a single server or get rid of the public hive, otherwise it's still possibly to gear up on other servers, no matter how difficult or time consuming you make it.

Running that 1 km would potentially mean death for the server hopper especially in high loot areas.

As for a regular player I would hope the game was sophisticated enough to detect if the server restarted and if you left by on your own volition.

Besides I don't think you should get moved after your first server change but only once you reach your 3rd server in the spawn of 1 hour.

Running that 1 km would potentially mean death for the server hopper especially in high loot areas.

As for a regular player I would hope the game was sophisticated enough to detect if the server restarted and if you left by on your own volition.

Besides I don't think you should get moved after your first server change but only once you reach your 3rd server in the spawn of 1 hour.

There have been good arguments against placing ppl away from where they were. Abuse to leave danger zone... .

I think everyone here has a different opinion on how long the intervals should be / how often you can switch servers without penalty. 3 servers an hour is easily enough to loot hop nwaf, unless you really run through the whole thing without a care in the world. But even then you are hard pressed to do it in 20 minutes, I think.

Edited by bautschi

You have to either restrict players to a single server

Server is offline ? New character

Server is full ? New character

Not enough space for your friends ? New character

Great idea.

• Like 2

That's like a tactical carpet bombing to destroy an anthill. The consequences are too drastic for the action.

It's a good idea in theory, but theory is a tricky thing to pin down.

• Like 1

..//..

The only way to truly end server hopping is to get rid of the public hive system entirely. You have to either restrict players to a single server or get rid of the public hive

..//..

"get rid of the public hive"

"restrict players to a single server"

- and the third possibility

Did you consider closing down the game completely ?

Edited by pilgrim

So you like to see everywhere clans with akm,ak101,granade ect.. guns and shoot you directly in berezino thats completely stupidity. What is point to survive then if you can get every item you want via server hopping ? Ohhh Im starving where is food oh wait a munite I can switch server I wıll be fine.. Do you know I didnt even get 1 akm gun since gun in game guess why ? because I cant spend time on  stupidity like server hopping like other desperate loosers I and many people have not time for that. We cant spending whole day on computer for one shitty game. This is not fair.. Also server hopping doesnt require any skill or talent. Devs should prevent this stupiditiy completely otherwise  they will see results. I dont even know why starving indicator iin game you cant starve in this game. Basically Rocket finishing his game by his own hands.

Edited by BugZ

Great idea.

Not advocating for it, I don't want that kind of system. I was just saying that's the only for sure way to stop it completely, not that I think we need to go that far.

• Like 1

Not advocating for it, I don't want that kind of system. I was just saying that's the only for sure way to stop it completely, not that I think we need to go that far.

I have best idea  this is ;

Cancel development process then refund everybody. Because there is no solution for server hopping which is not effecting gameplay. So just cancel game.

True, but you wouldn't be able to swap servers if the game was closed down, :P

Server hopper will end later its only alpha when they start the hive process it will slow alot of them down.

..//..

. We cant spending whole day on computer for one shitty game.

..//..

well I don't know who you can complain to about that

Edited by pilgrim

Great idea.

What is the problem with that ?

I am sure anyone who has played the mod on private hives will tell you that the cases where the private server you typically played on was full are very small.

Dayz truly shines when you play on a server with the same people over and over again.

Private hives is how dayz should be been built around from day 1, one character per server .

• Like 1

I honestly don't mind server hopping in the least. With the lack of transportation that this game has, and the fact that it is already virtually a scenic (unoptimized) running simulator with the occasional twist, running around airfields to get what loot is left does NOT seem appealing.

I am sure anyone who has played the mod on private hives will tell you that the cases where the private server you typically played on was full are very small.

Dayz truly shines when you play on a server with the same people over and over again.

Private hives is how dayz should be been built around from day 1, one character per server .

Primarily is that you force a lot of things on players. I do not understand why are you so obsessed with forcing people to do things. F*ck playing with the same people over and over again, boring, brings nothing new to the game, especially in game like dayz if I know people on the server I know what to expect from them, and that alone hurts dayz. It takes away all the excitement  of meeting new players. Same reason why they refuse to add those stupid bandit hero skins, so you never know who are you dealing with. 

Do you guys even read your ideas ? Force people to play on one server ? Spawn them kilometre away from where they logged off ? It's like going with a rocket launcher after a fly. Just add long wait timers for those who excessively swap servers and stop trying to ruin the game for normal players. 

Edited by General Zod
  • Like 3

You started this thread with an idea on how to stop server hopping. Now you say "ah man, let's just do private hives, all problems solved". Why start the thread in the first place then, that you will have one char in private hives was clear beforehand. I don't understand this.

This is a terrible idea,

Private hives will solve the hopping issue, and I'm imagining the global loot respawn system will aswell. 

If somebody would actually make a constructive thread about this topic, I would be immensely in favor of that. What we need is a Civil and Open discussion on what your best solutions are to what I consider a part of DayZ that breaks "the spirit of the game" and should be rectified. 

What we don't need is all this "You're retarded" and "You're a moron if you think..." nonsense because somebody stated their idea, which is more than what 93.4% of players do about the game. At least they offered an alternative. You don't have to shoot them down like the Luftwaffe over London. 

I disagree entirely with some of the people posting here, but I'm not going to call their mental fortitude into question because of it. 

• Like 1

I honestly don't mind server hopping in the least. With the lack of transportation that this game has, and the fact that it is already virtually a scenic (unoptimized) running simulator with the occasional twist, running around airfields to get what loot is left does NOT seem appealing.

I read your post mainly as "I hop myself and gear up that way, we lack transportation and it sucks. All that running around does not seem appealing to me, especially when you go somewhere and it is already looted."

DayZ will always be a running simulator that will never change, are you sure the game itself is even appealing to you? Somehow it sound like you can only bear the game because you can expoit the loot spawn system by hopping servers. Moving through the map while trying to survive (not talking about food, but REALLY making sure that you are not killed on the way) is boring. Also playing not geared or "half geared" not having the most powerful weapon is not appealing, because otherwise you would probably just play and not hop any more.

You will not (at least not on the public vanilla hive) spawn just 50 meters next to a functional car that is just waiting there for you. If you and your clan or whatever have a base and vehicles and someone picks you up, good for you. But I don't know exactly how you think this will work even in such cases, will you just drive your car up to the nwaf ATC, jump out, everyone just sprints in a different direction, you loot the whole airfield in 3 minutes and then drive to Balota instead of hopping to the next nwaf as it is done currently? Unless you play on totally empty servers, I don't think that will work so great.

For me carefully doing a whole nwaf run takes longer than running there in the first place, and I don't do it mainly for loot, I hope/fear to get good fights there - also a way to get loot btw.

I expect to have weapons (and no, you don't need a fully pimped M4 all the time) long before having cars. No idea how long fuel will last, but maybe I will sometimes hunt around gas stations in the future... . I see vehicles as a luxury that will most likely reduce your life expectancy quite a bit if you just speed through Chernarus all day. But maybe I am wrong and ppl will drive around in jeeps hunting others like the drunk kangoroo hunters in Crocodile Dundee. Maybe you will be your groups designated driver, but stay clear of the beer then.

Somehow I think there are different types of players, two polar opposites being those who spawn and play the game and those who spawn, run to a high loot area, hop until they are geared (whatever that means) and then play the game all the while having destroyed the loot balance on the last 5 servers they visited.

I killed ppl who had enough gear for a whole family, well, admittedly "only" two rifles, but everything else. One had 10+ gorka pants all full of stuff and he was still hopping the nwaf, logged in just 50 meters south of the hangars. In the end I just took 5 or 6 of his pants and ran for it, looting at the airstrip there for longer did not seem smart. He had 5 or 6 canteens, food for weeks, 4 full ammo boxes, 4 AK scopes. ... and that was only half of it, as I said, I left half the pants there. Yes, play style should not be influenced, do whatever you want. It's an extreme example, but just how many nwafs did that guy clear of military loot? And yes, he could only take 2 rilfes, he had "only" a few vests, but still. What about the idiot (like me) that just ran there through the whole map? Probably somewhere here on the forum complaining that scopes and ammo don't spawn at military areas any more... .

This is a terrible idea,

Private hives will solve the hopping issue, and I'm imagining the global loot respawn system will aswell. 

What is this? Which one of the ideas on the last 6 pages, or all? Can't be all, you would have written "these" then...

Private slices/hives are exactly not what is discussed here. Everyone is aware that private slices with only one server (a private hive, I guess that is how they will implement them) will have no server hoppers. It's fine if that is a solution for you, but I want to stay in the public hive, and the reasons for that are again a complete different discussion and there is no reason to discuss them here.

And btw, if your argument is private hive, why not propose a server switch penalty of 5 hours? That would be less limiting than private hives and surely also discourage loot hoppers. That is a terrible idea, but still better than private hives in the sense that at least you can still switch servers... .

EDIT: I'm getting aggitated and frustrated again resulting in monster-posts...

Edited by bautschi

I read your post mainly as "I hop myself and gear up that way, we lack transportation and it sucks. All that running around does not seem appealing to me, especially when you go somewhere and it is already looted."

DayZ will always be a running simulator that will never change, are you sure the game itself is even appealing to you? Somehow it sound like you can only bear the game because you can expoit the loot spawn system by hopping servers. Moving through the map while trying to survive (not talking about food, but REALLY making sure that you are not killed on the way) is boring. Also playing not geared or "half geared" not having the most powerful weapon is not appealing, because otherwise you would probably just play and not hop any more.

You will not (at least not on the public vanilla hive) spawn just 50 meters next to a functional car that is just waiting there for you. If you and your clan or whatever have a base and vehicles and someone picks you up, good for you. But I don't know exactly how you think this will work even in such cases, will you just drive your car up to the nwaf ATC, jump out, everyone just sprints in a different direction, you loot the whole airfield in 3 minutes and then drive to Balota instead of hopping to the next nwaf as it is done currently? Unless you play on totally empty servers, I don't think that will work so great.

For me carefully doing a whole nwaf run takes longer than running there in the first place, and I don't do it mainly for loot, I hope/fear to get good fights there - also a way to get loot btw.

I expect to have weapons (and no, you don't need a fully pimped M4 all the time) long before having cars. No idea how long fuel will last, but maybe I will sometimes hunt around gas stations in the future... . I see vehicles as a luxury that will most likely reduce your life expectancy quite a bit if you just speed through Chernarus all day. But maybe I am wrong and ppl will drive around in jeeps hunting others like the drunk kangoroo hunters in Crocodile Dundee. Maybe you will be your groups designated driver, but stay clear of the beer then.

Somehow I think there are different types of players, two polar opposites being those who spawn and play the game and those who spawn, run to a high loot area, hop until they are geared (whatever that means) and then play the game all the while having destroyed the loot balance on the last 5 servers they visited.

I killed ppl who had enough gear for a whole family, well, admittedly "only" two rifles, but everything else. One had 10+ gorka pants all full of stuff and he was still hopping the nwaf, logged in just 50 meters south of the hangars. In the end I just took 5 or 6 of his pants and ran for it, looting at the airstrip there for longer did not seem smart. He had 5 or 6 canteens, food for weeks, 4 full ammo boxes, 4 AK scopes. ... and that was only half of it, as I said, I left half the pants there. Yes, play style should not be influenced, do whatever you want. It's an extreme example, but just how many nwafs did that guy clear of military loot? And yes, he could only take 2 rilfes, he had "only" a few vests, but still. What about the idiot (like me) that just ran there through the whole map? Probably somewhere here on the forum complaining that scopes and ammo don't spawn at military areas any more... .

What is this? Which one of the ideas on the last 6 pages, or all? Can't be all, you would have written "these" then...

Private slices/hives are exactly not what is discussed here. Everyone is aware that private slices with only one server (a private hive, I guess that is how they will implement them) will have no server hoppers. It's fine if that is a solution for you, but I want to stay in the public hive, and the reasons for that are again a complete different discussion and there is no reason to discuss them here.

And btw, if your argument is private hive, why not propose a server switch penalty of 5 hours? That would be less limiting than private hives and surely also discourage loot hoppers. That is a terrible idea, but still better than private hives in the sense that at least you can still switch servers... .

EDIT: I'm getting aggitated and frustrated again resulting in monster-posts...

Meh, I have 4000 combined hours of DayZ Standalone and the Mod. I think I enjoy the game.

The current game is nothing more then a death match on a large scale. Running from Svet to Bolota, gearing, going to Berezino and fighting to death. Rinse and repeat all in a couple hours work.

If you find anything else besides that appealing, such as  buggy fishing or dull hunting that counts as surviving, your pretty fucked. I dont think you should go around going smart ass on peoples honest opinions when you havn't evaluated the communities feelings very closely.

• Like 1

Meh, I have 4000 combined hours of DayZ Standalone and the Mod. I think I enjoy the game.

What the ? How the hell do you people do that ? Don't have anything to do other than playing ? School ? Job ? 

What the ? How the hell do you people do that ? Don't have anything to do other than playing ? School ? Job ? 

I'm of a younger age (younger then my vocabulary and maturity might make me appeal through type), and excelling in schoolwork gives me lots of free-time that homework would take up. Besides for sports, I mainly involve myself in the gaming community.

Along the lines of a job, I do lots of server hosting (I have a DayZ server if you want to hit me up :P ) which hauls in big cash from advertising, purchased donation ranks, and sponsoring.

But yeah, I have been around since the early dayz (pun intended) of DayZ but have JUST recently started getting active in the forums, which I regret not starting to do earlier.

How so.

99 percent of players would not be affected by it.

Simply join the same server and the problem or the annoyance is gone.

This would only serve to annoy one type of player and that is the server hopper who jumps from server to server trying to gear up quick so they can pvp.

The other day, While I was still trying to figure out DayZ, I was running around Balota Airfield trying to find a gun, when the server restarted.

So Obviously I left and rejoined, and when I did, I was freshly spawned on the edge of Berezino, with nothing but a flashlight and a battery.

I got on steam chat to complain at a friend about how much that sucks, and he said "oh yeah dude, never rejoin the same server after a restart, that's how characters get deleted."

Unless this is a rare occurrence, your suggestion is not going to only effect 1% of the people that play DayZ, but it will effect LITERALLY EVERYONE.

Server hopping to get gear is an integral part of the game. If you're a fresh spawn and you sprint to Balota to try to find an ak and a few drums, only to find all the doors open and nothing left but boots and water bottles, you're not going to spend an hour sprinting to the next closest loot spot, you're going to switch servers and try again. This is not in any way a problem. Something I COULD see being a problem is people server hopping at PvP heavy areas to high-pops so they can spawn behind a sniper spot and murder someone. That would be something that would be worth complaining about.

You're basically trying to say that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the many others, and that isn't how it works.

The mod has been out for quite a while.

The current game is nothing more then a death match on a large scale. Running from Svet to Bolota, gearing, going to Berezino and fighting to death. Rinse and repeat all in a couple hours work.

If you find anything else besides that appealing, such as  buggy fishing or dull hunting that counts as surviving, your pretty fucked. I dont think you should go around going smart ass on peoples honest opinions when you havn't evaluated the communities feelings very closely.

The community's feelings...those who dupe feel it's ok to do it, everyone can do it. Those who look through walls feel it's ok to do it, everyone can do it - well not so well any more, but that's besides the point. Those who glitch into walls feel it's ok, everyone can do it. Even some of those who hack feel like they are doing the right thing, after all they bring justice to the bad kos bandits that need to be stopped for the better of the game. This is not about feelings, this is about balance, there is a reason why the loot is distributed the way it is or it would be different. Those who loot hop exploit the current system just like those who dupe: They gear up faster as intended with the loot distribution. Maybe not as fast, but at least dupers don't leave the servers they visited with empty military areas. Maybe instead of feelings you can describe just what is wrong with the current loot

Just out of interest, what mod did you play mostly and how hard was getting military loot there? I have seen servers (Epoch), where I had a full inventory after running 50 meters and that included the choice between 2 assault rifles that I had mags for. Oh, let's not forget spawning with rilfes and ammo.