Sign in to follow this  
Evil Minion

Spawn Areas

Spawn Areas  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Where would you like to spawn?

• Only at a few well known spawn points.
    • Randomly in a designated spawn area.
    • All over the map (including towns and military bases).
    • All over the map with some areas excluded.
    • Other (please specify)
  2. 2. If there was a designated spawn area where would you like it to be?

3. 3. How should spawning after logging in be handled.

• Spawn where you logged out.
    • Spawn outside of a designated area (military base, city etc.) if you logged out inside.
    • Spawn in an area inside the spawn area closest to your log out location.
    • Spawn at a random point inside the spawn area.
    • Other (please specify)

As there is an ongoing discussion about spawning at the coast versus spawing randomly all over the map I will start a poll to see how most people think about it rather than only the most vocal ones.

I think a designated spawn area is healthy for the game as it makes the map amd gameplay heterogenous and emphasises the use of travel routes to better locations rather than having a "lucky spawn" and running to the next good location. I also think the aspect of progress as you make your way inside the country is a good one.

So my vote goes towards a designated spawn area at the east coast where you spawn randomly but with weighted probabilites depending on player/town proximity and the distance to high value areas.

Edited by Evil Minion
  • Like 1

As there is an ungoing discussion about spawning at the coats versus spawing randomly all over the map I will start a poll to see how most people think about it rather than only the most vocal ones.

You didn't put "on the coast" as one of the options!

• Like 1

You cant have people spawning randomly all over the map, that's a fucking stupid idea and should not even have been an option in the poll

People would just spawn cycle (kill themselves) until  they get the spawn they want (near their body or at a mil base).

Thats one reason for the poll as some people seem to like it.

You didn't put "on the coast" as one of the options!

First or second option of the first question (first if you want to cherry-pick a few places only). Second and third options of the second question and third or forth option of the last question.

If in doubt - pick the last option and leave a post.

Edited by Evil Minion

"East" is most popular. Make of that what you will...

*cough* berezino deathmatchers *cough*

You cant have people spawning randomly all over the map, that's a fucking stupid idea and should not even have been an option in the poll

People would just spawn cycle (kill themselves) until  they get the spawn they want (near their body or at a mil base).

aren't people doing it now? The more spawn point there are the less chance to spawn near your body or military area. Also military areas should be excluded from spawn point, but spawning all around map should be a MUST. Berezino kids like you will never understand it.

• Like 1

I play like Rambo. I loot till I have a rifle and ammo then go looking for a firefight. So I respawned a lot. Spawning all over the map makes the game more fun for me

I would like those designated spawn areas to be at hospitals, medical care centers (the blue ones) and at the crashed ship between Berezino and Svetlo.

Spawning needs to be completely random and in the wilderness.

Having fixed spawns just leads to repetition and the map being poorly populated.

Spawn points after death should be anywhere at random on any part of the coast, excluding within a town/city, including the little island. I reckon you should also be forced on to a different server from the one you died on as well, but that's a slightly different argument.

Your position after logging in should be the same as where you left it on logging out, otherwise it's be bollocks.

East coast all the way from the most southern to most northern spots

• Like 1

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/204402-why-randomly-spawning-all-over-the-map-is-a-bad-idea/#entry2053649

Spawning randomly all over the map is an absolutely terrible idea.

Spawn along the entire east coast, from Svetlo to Skalisty. All of the high-value locations are now on a north-south axis in the west (NWAF, Veresnik/Dichina/Kabanino, Zelenogorsk/Green Mountain, Pavlovo, Balota).

I don't want people randomly spawning on top of my tent, or on top of my vehicle, or nearby a barracks building... simply for pressing the "respawn" button.

There are much more wholesome and subtle solutions to encouraging mobility than just plopping people all over the place.

It totally undercuts any semblance of utility in having persistence. Amongst other things.

If you make spawns entirely random across the entire map you have a 1 in 2 chance of spawning on the western half of the map, just a lazy jaunt away from barracks galore.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

the spawn if logged out, i didn't vote it to see how many server hoppers would had vote it.

To be fair there are many good reasons why you would like to spawn where you logged out. I think server hopping should be fixed by different methods. Also keep in mind this poll includes spawning on the same server as well.

Edited by Evil Minion

Spawning all over the map makes the game more fun for me.

Spawning needs to be completely random and in the wilderness. Having fixed spawns just leads to repetition and the map being poorly populated.

I agree with the above statements. Also, I kind of miss spawning near Kamehka, for nostalgic reasons. I only ever spawn to the NE of Electro now (source: the last 10+ spawns).

Honestly I don't want freshspawns having a "free" spawn in the west. If you want to get there you should move your ass and avoid getting shot while doing so. Your reward would be getting to the good loot areas. Having spawns limited to a certain area makes it a little bit fairer - though there should be tons of individual spawn points distributed instead the spawn area as few spawn points tend to get camped more easily.

I also think a heterogeneous map is more interesting and adds to the gameplay (given server hopping gets fixed). Instead of having about the same gameplay in every corner of the map with the only difference being the landscape and town layout you got areas where gameplay is vastly different because of the proximity of player spawns alone. This might actually increase the travel as the spawn areas would have a high density of killer and a low density of valuable loot.

Spawning all over the map would reduce travel as players are more likely to spawn in a "nice" area with more available loot and low killer density - also traveling elsewhere would be less worthwhile simplay because there are players spawing in this area as well and thus getting the good pieces before everyone who has to move there first. The possibility of getting lucky spawns would increase the suicide rate - if not countered this basically moves the spawn areas to high yield areas further reducing travel and keeping the rest of the map empty. And if countered... you either got a horrendous penalty for death - which adds a lot of frustration for people who got killed by others - or you have to balance out the map so no spawn is "better" - which leads to even more homogenous and uninteresting gameplay and to even less map travel.

Why would you like to spawn all over the map?

• To avoid getting spawn killed? Weighting spawns according to player proximity would probably work better than spawing anywhere.
  • To have the chance of getting lucky with your spawn? Thats actually an anti-argument - as written above.
  • To have more diversity? A heterogenous map layout offers more diversity in the long run as the map plays differently depending on your location.
  • To avoid repetition? Same thing here - spawing all over the map will not significantly change your "early game" - and it will probably offer more repetition in later stages.
  • To be unsure about your location? Well, this would probably end in two ways: Frustration (you don't manage to find your way) or low challenge (you do manage to find your way). It also replaces a dynamic and interactive challenge (getting first scraps of loot in a killer-infested area) with a passive and noninteractive one (figuring out where you are and finding the next town) - hardly an improvement.
Edited by Evil Minion

Make every part of the map a possible spawn. Make the spawns weighted chance based on how west it is. Game is fixed.

Hard to say, the game is so far from completion. I imagine it's best to spawn wherever it's most useful to the devs.

It seems like most players would be happy with a weighted spawn algorithm like:

1. Pick random place on map.
  2. Check collision (if conflict -> 1.)
  3. Generate random number
  4. Compare with density at this spot (if greater -> 1.)
  5. Spawn there

The density would either be static - every point on the map has its fixed value - or dynamic - when spawing the density will be calculated according to several parameters (e.g. player proximity, distance to nearest military base, loot density in surrounding area etc.) - and the random number would need to be a value between zero and the highest value of the density.

This would probably work for both sides as you can technically spawn everywhere (as long as there is no collision conflict) but there are areas with a higher possibility of spawns causing a heterogeneous map and thus more dynamic and interesting gameplay. If done right ("good density") the penalty for death might not need to be overly harsh (though imo it should still be significant) as the chances of getting a "better spawn" are too small to take the risk.

In my opinion - spawn locations should be as random as possible. The reasons include:

1. Ensure the entire map is used.
  2. Mitigate spawn camping killers/bandits.
  3. Reinforce the "survivor" aspect of the game.
  4. Mitigate artificial map "hot spots".

When I originally started playing I would basically only spawn on the coast. It's far too easy to orient yourself and get stuck in a pattern on the coast. I really wish they'd open up the spawn locations a bit more. Well, actually I think they have, but I NEVER spawn in the south anymore which makes me believe they're still heavily weighted or exclusively in the north... probably to make us test those towns, but still... people will test those towns anyway.

Well then:

1. Not done by spawing everywhere as people would just move to the nearest towns/bases and most connections/path/areas between only serve as spawn areas. Having people already spread out over the map greatly reduces the incentive to migrate.
  2. You don't need to spawn everywhere to reduce this - just let people spawn away from other people. Killers will probably still watch certain places and in fact they make the game more challenging by posing a threat to your survival-
  3. Not done by decreasing the chance of getting killed and increasing the chance of getting (high level) loot next to the place you spawned.
  4. Hot spots are what makes the game interesting. And you would still get them - just in different places of the map. In fact places with lower quality loot would probably end up much more empty and leaving a hotspot would make less sense as other areas are "grazed" in just the same manner by people who happended to spawn there.

I am not exactly sure why people think spawning all over the map would solve problems it does not - and in some cases it would even aggravate. In turn it adds new issues and makes for less diversie gameplay - why would you like this? (Probably because you rage about getting spawnkilled yet again or because you want to spawn at a military base to start your hopping spree faster.)