Jex

Blue Tents?

I'm not really sure who decided on the colour of the tents but it is an established facts that as the only place to store items indefinitely, we obviously require the ability to hide our stashes. Given the state of the graphics engine and knowing how anything sticks out like a sore thumb passed 100 yards, having a better colour tent is paramount in trying to hide our gear.

They need to be re-skinned and made green and brown.

I was looking over those tents in a video I saw yesterday and it seems to me that the color is perfect if you set the tent in a group of trees on a small hill - when you skyline the tent the color more or less matches the sky - or in a group of large rocks - so far the big ones (rocks that is) are about the same size and roughly the same shape as one of those tents with a closely approximating color. it seems risky I know but I am willing to bet that they will be easier to hide in this fashion as opposed to trying to hide all that blue against a green/brown background. just a thought.

I'll give it a try in the event I ever manage to find a tent.

I'm not really sure who decided on the colour of the tents but it is an established facts that as the only place to store items indefinitely, we obviously require the ability to hide our stashes. Given the state of the graphics engine and knowing how anything sticks out like a sore thumb passed 100 yards, having a better colour tent is paramount in trying to hide our gear.

Ever occur to you they decided to do civilian tents now and camo military tents later?

• Like 1

I'm not really sure who decided on the colour of the tents but it is an established facts that as the only place to store items indefinitely, we obviously require the ability to hide our stashes.

Well, then hide yor stash instead of demanding that the developevers should do it for you.

Its quite nice that tents are not military tents but rather civiian ones. Mlitary gear should always be pretty rare and hard to get - so for testing purposes the civilian versions work much better. Also makes hiding them a little harder which is a good thing as well.

Edited by Evil Minion

There's no such thing a a "military tent".

So both of you have never seen a green or brown tent for sale? Funny because I had one, a StormShield 500. My tent after that was another SS in red. The fact you both think there's a "military tent" is funny.

Given the fact that I'd qualified my argument by stating how badly tents show up from distance and that you ignored that, I'd say you don't really have an argument.

Also asking for a green tent is not demanding anything from the developers - how on earth did your brain come up with that?

• Like 3

My brain came up with this line?

I also did not ignore your argument - I told you to hide your stash instead of relying on its own camo. Civilian tents come in different colors like blue, red, gre, brown, black etc. They picked blue now deal with it. Or ask for more colors but don't demand a reskin (because thats how the line abve sounds to me).

Also there are military tents - but you are right in that they aren't the only tents in green or brown colors. The fact that you believe there is no such thing is funny.

• Like 1

There's no such thing a a "military tent".

So both of you have never seen a green or brown tent for sale? Funny because I had one, a StormShield 500. My tent after that was another SS in red. The fact you both think there's a "military tent" is funny.

Given the fact that I'd qualified my argument by stating how badly tents show up from distance and that you ignored that, I'd say you don't really have an argument.

Also asking for a green tent is not demanding anything from the developers - how on earth did your brain come up with that?

Yeah I really hate this idea that there are no commercial tents for sale that blend in with their surroundings. I think they should come in several colors like the backpacks and allow one to conceal it with brush.

Yeah I really hate this idea that there are no commercial tents for sale that blend in with their surroundings. I think they should come in several colors like the backpacks and allow one to conceal it with brush.

The issue with the tents will become massively apparent the moment you place one and walk 100 yards away from it, turn around and it's sticking out like a sore thumb. The devs know it will do this and there's also very few places to hide tents, less now with the cities being added and wilderness taken away. At least a green or brown tent would blend in better.

Dark blue is pretty common color for tents.

8RB7H99.jpg

They choose light blue though. I agree some more colors would be welcome. Spray option?

• Like 2

Dark blue is pretty common color for tents.

8RB7H99.jpg

They choose light blue though. I agree some more colors would be welcome. Spray option?

Green's pretty common in the picture but I can't tell how many are in camo coz i can't see them ;)

Hahaha :D

I think he is referring to single person tents like from the mod that have not seen professional military use in ages. Tents in military use today tend to be very large and capable of accommodating large amounts of people rather than individuals. 

• Like 1

I think he is referring to single person tents like from the mod that have not seen professional military use in ages. Tents in military use today tend to be very large and capable of accommodating large amounts of people rather than individuals. 

We had big green canvas tents we'd use in the field for comms which looked a little like this but larger

CASE004-AV-OG.jpg

For sleeping we'd use a basher.... (These need to be in the game)

Basher-built.jpg

If a "military tent" (lol) is the one at the top then I don't want those in the game but a blue and white tent is going to stand out for miles in dayz - it's going to be on a plain green background or a plain brown background and everyone has a tent. You'd only need to search a handful of house before you found a colour you liked I bet.

I'm sure it was 100% intended not to be green or camo.  I think it is good they are a light color.  For an item so powerful (dat storage tho) and rare, it's rather fair that they can be spotted easily.  Hiding it will take forethought and knowledge, rather than just plopping it in any cluster of trees or bushes.

This doesn't mean, though, that other colors won't be added.  I'm quite sure they will add a green tent.  Although it remains to be seen if it will be 'camo,' or more akin to the bright green backpacks.

Edited by doctajones

They should add the ability to cover your tent using leaves if placed on a forest.

Something like this but covering the actual tents:

how-to-make-debris-shelter.jpg

Also It would be nice a smaller tent like in the mod, so you can hide it better.

• Like 1

You can tell lots of people never played the mod. Even those small camo tents were almost impossible to hide without using glitches. Big, bright colored tents = completely useless.

Even those small camo tents were almost impossible to hide without using glitches

I agree, I think you should be able to cover these small camo tents using leaves too.

They could add a camo tent option and make it so they don't even render at a certain distance less than the default for other objects. That way you would almost have to be right on top of it to see it.

sooo I'm just curious... if the tents are so easy to see where are all the "I found someone's tent!!!" braggers? I've only seen 2 vids of such and they were from experimental when the tents were released and everywhere.

They should add the ability to cover your tent using leaves if placed on a forest.

Something like this but covering the actual tents:

how-to-make-debris-shelter.jpg

Also It would be nice a smaller tent like in the mod, so you can hide it better.

I made a thread about this :D

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/211270-tarps-shelters/

You can tell lots of people never played the mod. Even those small camo tents were almost impossible to hide without using glitches. Big, bright colored tents = completely useless.

I loved my submerged tent city. :D

We had big green canvas tents we'd use in the field for comms which looked a little like this but larger

CASE004-AV-OG.jpg

For sleeping we'd use a basher.... (These need to be in the game)

Basher-built.jpg

If a "military tent" (lol) is the one at the top then I don't want those in the game but a blue and white tent is going to stand out for miles in dayz - it's going to be on a plain green background or a plain brown background and everyone has a tent. You'd only need to search a handful of house before you found a colour you liked I bet.

Bashers.....YES!!

How has this not been suggested before.....how did I not suggest this lol. My basher and tarp are my goto for any trekking. So much better than a tent, much less carry weight, sets up on uneven ground (well not on the ground but between 2 trees) and packs small. It should stop items degrading just like a tent, but you can either store or rest there....not both.

Maybe give them a backpack slot, where the pack can hold gear, always hang mine above the basher but inside the tarp to keep it off the ground and away from the weather.

Bashers would make dayz really look like it knows what its doing :)

Edited by Karmaterror

Car-size Silver Tent.  Really!?

Who thought this was a good idea?

The small triangle camouflage pattern tent in the ArmA 2 DayZ mod was difficult to hide.  A pretty good place to hide the small triangle tent was in the thick dark green fur trees.  Alas! There were problems with trying to hide your light green camo tent to protect your prized loot:

- Light green color of the tent

- Reflective water effect appearance of the tent surface under certain conditions

- Disappearance of the thick foliage at distance allowing the tent to be visible

- After emplacement, the tent would loose all functionality due to being embedded in parts of the tree

- The site placement of the tent would magically place the tent in a totally different location

The solution: 

- Smaller

- Earth-tone tent that will blend-in with likely hiding locations

- More places to hide tents. Tight gatherings of big thickly vegetated trees. More undergrowth e.g. bushes. 

- Ensure the water-effect seen in ArmA 2 DayZ mod on the hogs and camo tents does not transfer over to the DayZ Standalone

- Ensure the more distant viewing distance continue to conceal hidden tents

- Learn from other development teams

... Epoch - modular building allows close proximity in vicinity of and embedding in structures with functionality maintained

... Origins - As part of the emplacement/construction process, a shadow of the item was manipulated/moved prior to emplacement.  "Green" shadow was an authorized position and "Red" was unauthorized

... Epoch - Two dome tents (dark green & desert)

Why wasn't the first course of action the two car-size bright hunter orange tent not selected over the slightly smaller, slightly less easily detected current Standalone tent??

Today, we need black tents small, dark green tents small, camo tents small. We need to reduce the bubble factor of 200m to 50m or 100m because there is no way to hide a tent anywhere.

The trees are mainly scattered and wide open to create a base. To hide a base is almost impossible. I can even find the barrels in the dark trees. I have recorded over 50 tents on a small server, all of which people thought they where secure.

Colors show up way to bright, you can see them just to easy.

I understand the need for a camp, to store precious items in, but there is no way to protect them at all.

So since this is coding from arma 3 which i assume most of it comes from the ideas. I suggest we have a locking with a special code to help protect some of our stuff.

Since base building is not complete it is very easy to just steal others items for your own use. I don't like this system, so changing the colors of the tents might help. Light blue tents show up miles away.

200m for sure, then you have the items causing server lag, which sucks....

We need the modding tools sooner then later so we can start building our own server ideas.

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!!!

NecromancerCover_Springborg.jpg

Seriously dude, super thread necro. The last post was from 20-fucking-14.