Halven (DayZ)

What is it that makes the fps so bad? Engine? DX9?

Not true, most AMD processors are worse than the equivalent Intel. I run an AMD GPU and Intel CPU and it runs the game well but a large number of people complaining about snapshots for framerates turn out to have AMD processors many of those the infamous "octo-cores. 

Just as Intel processors are 2X as expensive, for less than a 2X performance gain ;)

I seriously have never understood why people require 60+ fps. I run it with a flat average of 40, and I've never had any real issues with lag. It'll dip to 30 in cities, but I still don't have nay problems in CQB scenarios. It was the same in ArmA 2, and then it didn't bother me either. Is 60 some magical number?

Its plain as day that the performance problems are hard baked into the engine, they have existed though all of the Arma games, the fact that its in alpha does not mean the the performance will be magically fixed once the game goes gold.  Its also well known that the performance bottleneck is very much CPU rather than any other component. I doubt very much that this will change significantly at any point in the game's development, so we just have to suck it up and get used to it.

Not really. OFP had some high requirements in the day, but it could be done. Armed Assault wasn't much different. Even base ArmA 2, I could still squeeze 50-55 fps with my GTX 470 and Phenom X6 1100T, and probably more with a better processor. I think most of the performance problems associated with the series is because of the new antialiasing system introduced in OA and the surge in popularity bringing in people with VERY inadequate rigs.

Where DayZ is concerned, my GPU is its spurned wife and my CPU is its over-worked mistress. It just won't stop fucking the CPU, but won't give my GPU the attention it needs. Relationship problems are clearly why DayZ runs so badly.

What is your hardware?

With my hardware i can play pretty much every game out there (Crysis, Far Cry, WoW etc) with high settings in 1080p and rarely drop below 60 fps.

And as i mentioned earlier, a mate of mine runs 2xGTX780 in SLI, has 16gb of ram and a i7 4790k and also has shitty fps in citys, and that's a rig that maxes out pretty much any complete game on the current market in 1440p.

So no, in DayZ the hardware is not the problem, unless it runs better on older hardware.

Yeah man that's funny because I have 2x GTX 780 Ti and a i7 4770k and get shitty fps in cities too. Same issue in Arma 3 multiplayer.

Edited by Andromeda

What is your hardware?

With my hardware i can play pretty much every game out there (Crysis, Far Cry, WoW etc) with high settings in 1080p and rarely drop below 60 fps.

And as i mentioned earlier, a mate of mine runs 2xGTX780 in SLI, has 16gb of ram and a i7 4790k and also has shitty fps in citys, and that's a rig that maxes out pretty much any complete game on the current market in 1440p.

So no, in DayZ the hardware is not the problem, unless it runs better on older hardware.

Yeah man that's funny because I have 2x GTX 780 Ti and a i7 4770k and get shitty fps in cities too. Same issue in Arma 3 multiplayer.

That is funny I got an i7 3930K and a GTX Titan. System is Win7

I do have Temp/Load Monitoring and both are in no way maxed out. (In case of VRAM DayZ won't even use a third of what is availible)

I do have however have system and game installed on SSD (System has its own SSD)

Just my two cents:

Skip the SLI oder DUAL GPU cards. All you will get is micro stuttering regardless of the fps you have

and most of the potential goes down the drain because the cards/gpus need to synchronize.

I have noticed a slight degradation in performance recently too. When they moved to the 64 bit servers a few patches ago, everything became really snappy and quick. Inventory movements were slick and doing actions like jumping or drinking / eating were instant. Now I get big pauses when doing an action. I left click on an item to inspect it or whatever and im waiting 2-3 seconds before the menu appears and so on.

Moving to a new renderer would help, it would also open up the opportunities for new lighting effects and so on.

Making the engine more multi-threaded is essential, but also isn't an easy task I admit.

Edited by Ben_uk