DarkBoy141

Please bring the L85A2 AWS back in the game

The L85A2 AWS isnt op to me at all it uses stannag and hasnt got good ranging plus you have no way to see somebody unless u know if someone is supposed to be here for example u can see someone  with the thermal scope if they tell you theyre after u and they can escape u by going to cover. and in my experience throughout dayz i escaped a very big number of times from squads with as50s l85 awss and a lot of the good things and then i killed them and .... i got their gear so it isnt op for me and u can make it as rare as the as50 or the rarest weapon in the game i just want it back

As the M4, it doesn't really fit since it's a british weapon.
And imo, i think they should remove automatic weapons all together, that sure would make it harder for all the bloody cheaters with unlimited clips in this game.

Even though it may not be OP to you, some people may not feel the same way. Right now there is no need for thermal scoped guns in my opinion. Maybe later on when the game further along in development but right now the only reason for thermal scoped guns is for PvP and right now we are supposed to be testing the game. You guys have tested the PvP aspect of the game quite extensively and need to move on from the more guns, more bases more loot mentality and actually help test. Stop with all the military weapons and ask for some more civilian or improvised weapons

Edited by Tobias Winfro
  • Like 2

The L85A2 AWS isnt op to me at all it uses stannag and hasnt got good ranging plus you have no way to see somebody unless u know if someone is supposed to be here for example u can see someone  with the thermal scope if they tell you theyre after u and they can escape u by going to cover. and in my experience throughout dayz i escaped a very big number of times from squads with as50s l85 awss and a lot of the good things and then i killed them and .... i got their gear so it isnt op for me and u can make it as rare as the as50 or the rarest weapon in the game i just want it back

LMFAO.

They removed it, in my opinion, not because it was OP, but because it totally cheese grated the atmosphere of the game.

It wasn't particularly OP, just because of how rare it was. However, once you got one, you pretty much became an unstoppable killing machine if you weren't an idiot with it. Not only this, but in a zombie apocalypse, advanced optics like that would never just be found in a crashed helicopter in perfect, working condition. Hence why it's a tad bit ridiculous.

I'm afraid it's another big "good riddance" from me ... one less of many implausible military weapons to worry about, which all spoil the game setting and make the immature get all hormonal.

There was never any need for the global military armoury to be in DayZ, as there are plenty of mundane weapons in the ArmA 2 game assets and community content.

All that was needed from the military pool was a handful of AK variants and a few rare scopers.  Shotguns, vintage rifles, civilian hunters, police pistols and the like should have made up the balance.

All those big military guns do is feed genital inferiority complexes.  If a tea cup is good enough for Riddick, it's good enough for the zombocalypse :P

I'm afraid it's another big "good riddance" from me ... one less of many implausible military weapons to worry about, which all spoil the game setting and make the immature get all hormonal.

There was never any need for the global military armoury to be in DayZ, as there are plenty of mundane weapons in the ArmA 2 game assets and community content.

All that was needed from the military pool was a handful of AK variants and a few rare scopers.  Shotguns, vintage rifles, civilian hunters, police pistols and the like should have made up the balance.

All those big military guns do is feed genital inferiority complexes.  If a tea cup is good enough for Riddick, it's good enough for the zombocalypse :P

I second that. More variety amongst the civilian weapons would be good.

The double barreled shotgun should be made useful by increasing its short range damage (the reloading time would ham-string it enough for it not to be over-powered). I always feel it's such a waste of a weapon. 'Jason Bourning' it with 6 shotgun shells should be a viable option.

Also, it'd be cool zombies should be able to follow gun shots up the range of the gun (if they can hear me tip toeing around 30 meters away, surely they can hear a gun being fired half a kilometer away?). Imagine snipers had to worry about a herd of zombies running towards them after firing. It would not only be a direct threat, but it would also give away their position to other players, forcing more mobility...

• Like 1

I second that. More variety amongst the civilian weapons would be good.

The double barreled shotgun should be made useful by increasing its short range damage (the reloading time would ham-string it enough for it not to be over-powered). I always feel it's such a waste of a weapon. 'Jason Bourning' it with 6 shotgun shells should be a viable option.

Also, it'd be cool zombies should be able to follow gun shots up the range of the gun (if they can hear me tip toeing around 30 meters away, surely they can hear a gun being fired half a kilometer away?). Imagine snipers had to worry about a herd of zombies running towards them after firing. It would not only be a direct threat, but it would also give away their position to other players, forcing more mobility...

I can see a lot of potential issues with the zombie suggestion.

It would (I imagine) be very intense on the server if all of these zombies had to pathfind their way to a specific location. Also, if that were the case, they'd have to add some way to battle this feature. The only solution I see to this is making silencers more effective. As of now silenced weapons can only shoot sub-sonic rounds and thus reduces the damage heavily, making an M4A1 into a BB gun. Let me show you the numbers;

M4A1 Without Silencer; 3300 Blood Damage at muzzle with an effective range of 300m

M4A1 SD; 2300 Blood Damage at muzzle with an effective range of 200m

So, if you took a common sniper rifle, say a DMR, and add a silencer, I imagine it'd be like this.

DMR without silencer; 8000 Blood Damage at muzzle with an effective range of 800m

DMR with silencer; 6500 Blood Damage at muzzle with an effective range of 600m

That pretty much makes the gun a paintball gun. If they made silencers better, than I could see your suggestion being possible.

The only silencers likely to be found ... or crafted ... should be Grimes family style home-made efforts, basically makeshift tube-shaped objects with a stack of baffles in.

Crafting components such as a flashlight body and the sacrifice of a set of engine parts for baffle washers and springs should do the trick.

Western military weapons such as those you've listed wouldn't be a problem, as they are fine candidates for the good riddance list.

Edited by RN_Max

The only silencers likely to be found ... or crafted ... should be Grimes family style home-made efforts, basically makeshift tube-shaped objects with a stack of baffles in.

Or an empty plastic bottle over the muzzle, like in "The Departed". Finally, a good use for all that trash loot lying around!

This thread sure was good for a good laugh! Some doozy statements in here. Testing this game was the best!

*Says TWS isn't op

*Talks about using it to kill entire AS50 squads

*Says he got they're gear so it isn't OP for him

In reality though it is OP. As the original poster said he killed entire squads with it (Somehow, I think not)

I never found one when they were in, if they were even in back when I started, but I have seen and owned a few on PVP Epoch and Overwatch servers for brief periods, and used them on wasteland. And yeah ,they're OP. All you have to do is scan a tree line, and if a guy is there in a ghillie, He's a Christmas tree. and say he doesn't see you? well, if you've got anything that can reach out a few hundred meters or you can sneak behind him, You've got a DMR!!! Or say your a sniper, just have this out and a sniper in your pack, and sit on some hill. you won't even have to look very hard, anything yellow is alive, and you must fix that.

I honestly wouldn't mind something like a Civilian Thermal binocular that can't see past like 300m, but the L85 AWS, no way.   

*Says TWS isn't op

*Talks about using it to kill entire AS50 squads

*Says he got they're gear so it isn't OP for him

In reality though it is OP. As the original poster said he killed entire squads with it (Somehow, I think not)

I never found one when they were in, if they were even in back when I started, but I have seen and owned a few on PVP Epoch and Overwatch servers for brief periods, and used them on wasteland. And yeah ,they're OP. All you have to do is scan a tree line, and if a guy is there in a ghillie, He's a Christmas tree. and say he doesn't see you? well, if you've got anything that can reach out a few hundred meters or you can sneak behind him, You've got a DMR!!! Or say your a sniper, just have this out and a sniper in your pack, and sit on some hill. you won't even have to look very hard, anything yellow is alive, and you must fix that.

I honestly wouldn't mind something like a Civilian Thermal binocular that can't see past like 300m, but the L85 AWS, no way.   

OP never said he killed entire squads with it. He said he escaped squads with members using it. Just saying.

Thermal scopes wont be returning to the mod sorry we have many reasons for this but the easiest one to explain they serve no purpose in dayz.

No , just people dont know that you can load up previous updates of dayz mod , if this was popular enough to lauch a server im sure people would go back to play old dayz .

I would like to see the L85 AWS in game but i see how it dosent fit it. All im here for is to make the availability of loading up previous versions of dayz mod more popular.

And imo, i think they should remove automatic weapons all together, that sure would make it harder for all the bloody cheaters with unlimited clips in this game.

Bloody cheaters who cheat unlimited ammo may aswell cheat themselves any bloody weapon they like.

Removing automatic weapons is just stupid AND useless for what you had in mind.

For all adjustments TOWARDS milsim or AWAY from milsim: There are endless possibilities for server owners to adjust the game.

Here we talk about vanilla. I agree that AWS does not fit in vanilla.