SmashT

Status Report - Week of 11 August 14

lhJdmvMaoHEoKD8CdNOAZX5v0KmOic_original.

During this weeks maintenance period, DayZ version 0.48 is being pushed to stable branch. Version 0.48 is primarily focused on addressing issues tied with global voice abuse, camera collision, item cleanup, and the introduction of persistent storage to official (DayZ dev hosted) stable branch servers. Additionally, an interim redesign of melee targeting was introduced in this version as mentioned in last weeks status report by Lead Designer Peter.

Persistent storage across all stable branch servers (including rented servers from GSPs) is targeted for version 0.49 at the end of August. The reasoning behind this tiered deployment of storage is as follows:

• Persistent storage is user data. This is valuable, and we need to treat lightly when dealing with so many users data.
  • Increasing persistent storage server numbers by pushing this to only official hosted servers allows us to stress the system even more so than on experimental branch
  • This ensures that communities focused around rented servers (clans, fansites, etc) do not risk losing their stored items during this stress test
  • This also allows game server providers to deploy, and test their methods of protecting, and backing up persistent storage for each server in the event of server failure

That said, version 0.48 also introduces a number of changes to the loot tables, additional content in the way of clothing, animations, items, and weapons. Make sure when testing these new features and content to file your bugs at feedback.dayzgame.com

Mirek / Lead Gameplay Programmer
"This week we have been focusing on work related to the wednesday stable release, so the majority of the work is related to bugfixing and persistence. We have also moved camera clipping into internal testing, so we can tune it a little bit more, this too should make the 0.48 update. After that release, we would like to work on other server side optimizations and start the next moves into iterating object persistence. We've also started implementing different types of doors, which is significant for later barricading features and many other features like locking the doors.

Chris / Lead Artist
"This week, I've taken a trip to a new studio we've begun to work with in Thailand to provide artistic direction and training for the artists here and will be returning with a bunch of new, interesting items I'll tell you more about soon. The team back home in Prague has been very busy.

Character Art
The SMERCH vest was delivered as the first modular vest which allows the user to attach an additional, small backpack to increase carry capacity for players who like to keep a low profile. We're glad you like the idea and we hope to expand on this concept going forward.  To round out the eastern-block SF look, we're working on a new 'MASKA'  helmet and, finally, a balaclava! Which, hopefully, means I will stop being spammed on a daily basis with people asking for it on Twitter...

We're simultaneously working on new civilian clothing: a new green version of the medic uniform I like to call the 'Luigi', a firefighter uniform, and a new pair of gloves which you'll be able to cut the fingers off of to get that hardcore biker look.

Environment
A whole set of new signs for factories, storefronts, and cities are being made to add some additional depth to the environment. As well, we've begun improving some of the vegetation models so they don't behave so...weird at times. That will be an ongoing process which will take a while. 

Weapons
The next new firearm being added will probably be the Rossi R93 in 357mag.

In fact I was just notified today the art is done for it so now it goes to the designers for cfg, the animators to do their thing, and finally to the sound team.  It'll be a little bit before you see it in the game since I've got a feeling animations will be a challenge to sync. We're also working towards allowing players to saw-off the mosin to make the notorious 'Obrez'. 

The team is also making models for a crafted arrow and speaking of crafting, since melee weapons are getting some love, we're thinking about ideas for crafted weapons that enhance damage (think baseball bad with nails sticking out).

Ok, thats all for now. I don't want your heads to explode from the excitement.

Standup notes for the week of 11 August 2014
Programming
Cleanup system
Camera collision
Object persistence
Network optimization
Melee system redesign
Low pass audio filter support
Animation system support

Animation
Harvesting animations
Bow movement animations
Fire starting animations
Fishing animations
Two handed throwing animations

Design
Support for simple object placement
Horticulture design prototyping
Character collision shape adjustments
Impact of advanced weather on player
Bow dispersion adjustment
Craftable weapon design prototypes

Design
Support for simple object placement
Horticulture design prototyping
Character collision shape adjustments
Impact of advanced weather on player
Bow dispersion adjustment
Craftable weapon design prototypes

• Like 14

yeah baby :) hey SmashT what town is that in the picture? and here I thought I had been everywhere.

what town is that in the picture? and here I thought I had been everywhere.

Reports coming in indicate the towns name as Under Construction.

• Like 5

yeah baby :) hey SmashT what town is that in the picture? and here I thought I had been everywhere.

Dunno, either Vavilovo, Sinistok or...

x88cEvt.jpg

• Like 4

the introduction of persistent storage to official (DayZ dev hosted) stable branch servers.

Which are the official servers? The ones with official-sounding, local names? Like NL 1-111 etc, and so forth? From what I have seen, those are all hosted by third parties as well. I've never seen one that says it is hosted by Bohemia.

many good things

- Rossi R93 ?

Edited by pilgrim

Which are the official servers? The ones with official-sounding, local names? Like NL 1-111 etc, and so forth? From what I have seen, those are all hosted by third parties as well. I've never seen one that says it is hosted by Bohemia.

Persistent enabled servers will have that mentioned in their name.

• Like 1

like the R92 ?

I think it will be the DayZ-version of the Blaser R93. Blaser already made it into the game with the Blaze (B)95.

impact of advanced weather system - sounds interesting has any of the devs elaborated on this anywhere? 

• Like 1

Weapons

The team is also making models for a crafted arrow and speaking of crafting, since melee weapons are getting some love, we're thinking about ideas for crafted weapons that enhance damage (think baseball bad with nails sticking out).

Ok i UNDERSTAND the iconic significance of the spiked wooden baseball bat but that is a BAD idea. There have been test to show how well a spiked bat will hold up after ONE fight. You would have to straighten all the nails after every fight. And if your fighting infected wouldn't touching there tainted blood be a BAD idea? I mean think about it guys before you install it. I know you want the game to be fun but didn't you guys say you want to add some realism to it? Here is a good idea of how GOOD the a spiked baseball bat can be on a simulation test.

It would be very bad anyways all you'd have to do is stab yourself in the back in the heat of a fight.

I mean i dont mind if you guys put it in. But play into fact the realism and the nails should degrade much faster after one fight.

Edited by Deathlove
  • Like 1

Persistent enabled servers will have that mentioned in their name.

I tried using the filter to find servers with "persistent" in their name but couldn't find any. Can you suggest some possible filter tags to use?

Ok i UNDERSTAND the iconic significance of the spiked wooden baseball bat but that is a BAD idea. There have been test to show how well a spiked bat will hold up after ONE fight. You would have to straighten all the nails after every fight. And if your fighting infected wouldn't touching there tainted blood be a BAD idea? I mean think about it guys before you install it. I know you want the game to be fun but didn't you guys say you want to add some realism to it? Here is a good idea of how GOOD the a spiked baseball bat can be on a simulation test.

It would be very bad anyways all you'd have to do is stab yourself in the back in the heat of a fight.

I mean i dont mind if you guys put it in. But play into fact the realism and the nails should degrade much faster after one fight.

If you don't kill the zombie that is trying to eat you right now, you won't have to worry about the future anyway. So that is not THAT much of an issue.

It's pefectly possible to put nails in a baseball bat or thick stick and many people would come up with that in a setting like this even if it's not as effective as they think.

Also rule of cool.

Edited by Buffaloe

If you don't kill the zombie that is trying to eat you right now, you won't have to worry about the future anyway. So that is not THAT much of an issue.

It's pefectly possible to put nails in a baseball bat or thick stick and many people would come up with that in a setting like this even if it's not as effective as they think.

Also rule of cool.

Rule of cool doesnt apply when your running trip over and impail the spiked bat into your body. The coolness factor is fine but the functionality would be terrible. Its not that its not possible its the fact that it is impractical.

Would you really want to risk putting the nails back into place every few minutes with infected blood on the nails and no way of cleaning it if its not available? Sure maybe but you'd have to think of long term effects when running around with something like that.

Edited by Deathlove

Re: nails in bats. It was probably an idea brought up while brainstorming.

Persistent storage! Game changing.

Can't wait to see the new towns!

• Like 1

2 handed throwing....sounds like axe wars to me! Loving the weekly updates. Keep 'em coming!

"Impact of advanced weather on player"

Yes, more info on this would be great!

Well just like a horse, nothing good comes from riding them hard and putting them away wet.  We already have the notifications of being damp thru being soaked.  Logic suggests there will be penalties... More survival, yes please.

"Impact of advanced weather on player"

Yes, more info on this would be great!

• Like 1

Police cars, based on the change log are apparently bugged or they have really good camo effect that makes them invisible.  As for the 7.62x39mm ammo, I think I have all available rounds piled up under a tree.  But seriously, look for AKM mags and unload them.

Since the 8-13-14 SKS ammo is as rare as a police car. What's up with that?

Edited by Super_Duty