irishroy

patch 0.48 - lever action rifle in the gamefiles - velocity-problem

and it holds 11 rounds of .357

5fo7kr8aiz4a.png

So first:

http://dayz.com/blog/status-report-week-of-11-august-14

The next new firearm being added will probably be the Rossi R93 in 357mag.

In fact I was just notified today the art is done for it so now it goes to the designers for cfg, the animators to do their thing, and finally to the sound team.  It'll be a little bit before you see it in the game since I've got a feeling animations will be a challenge to sync...

a new pair of gloves which you'll be able to cut the fingers off of to get that hardcore biker look

Party_hard_pug.gifdancing-man-party-hard-gif.gif

Okay, so now that we party'd hard:

the problem is:

The .357-rounds fired from this lever-gun will (probably) have the same velocity as from the Revolver (which is 360), even though the barrel is easily 2-3x as long as the revolver's.

Levergun has ~16-20 inches, whereas the Revolver has "only"  6.

Here are some velocites:

Mosin: 860

SKS/AKM/CZ527: 730

Ruger 22 Amphibia pistol: 380

M4/AK101: 884

And only 360m/s as a "rifle-velocity" seem to be rather weak, considering the fact, that "damage" in DayZ is made up by:

1, the bullet itself

2. and its velocity

Same happened with the Shotgun and the shotgun-speedloaders(the velocity from the speedloaded shells was less than 50% of the speed from individual loaded shells

==> A speedloaded Shotgun did much less damage than a normally loaded shotty)

So using this levergun on ranges above 100m could become a bit of a gamble, because of the very low velocity. Hell

I really hope the DEVs will tweak this and find a solution :P

However, this "criticism" is in advance without ever having played with that gun, soo... ;)

I'll still try this gun out with the best of hopes :D

Edited by irishroy
  • Like 4

the problem is:

The .357-rounds fired from this lever-gun will (probably) have the same velocity as from the Revolver (which is 360), even though the barrel is easily 2-3x as long as the revolver's.

Levergun has ~16-20 inches, whereas the Revolver has "only"  6.

Same happened with the Shotgun and the shotgun-speedloaders(the velocity from the speedloaded shells was less than 50% of the speed from individual loaded shells

==> A speedloaded Shotgun did much less damage than a normally loaded shotty)

For your sake I hope devs will put in correct velocity for level action rifle.

We all know how horny you are after western stuff. With revolver, level action, cowboy hat, riders jacket....maybe all that's let are boots with spurs?

As for shotgun speedloader bug....HTF I did not know that?!

Is that bug still in or was it fixed? I kinda like shotguns, loved that they upped/fixed the damage, although it seems as shooting just 1 pellet.

• Like 2

How do you know that?

The .357 fired from a rifle should have (depending on barrel length of rifle/revolver) about 50% more velocity and 100% more energy in the same cartridge.

Do the configuration files suggest something different - is there a difference in bullet damage from sks to akm? If so they take those things in account.

I think weapon balance is not final yet so I think this is not to stay. They probably copy-pasted the values from similar weapons  just like they copy-pasted the sound for the CR527 from the Mosin. Apparently other weapons have the same thing going on right now (for example the M4 should deal less damage than the AK101 with higher recoil, less sway and a higher turn rate). SKS and CZ527 will be tricky here as one the former has a longer barrel but the latter is bolt action (which means its bullet uses the maximum amount of gas pressure while the SKS needs to hold back a portion for reloading).

I am optimistic this will be changed in the future but right now the focus is probably less on gun balance. However, the .357 Magnum will still be significantly slower than the other rifle bullets - its just the round.

• Like 1

As for shotgun speedloader bug....HTF I did not know that?!

Is that bug still in or was it fixed? I kinda like shotguns, loved that they upped/fixed the damage, although it seems as shooting just 1 pellet.

Nono, the speedloader-bug was fixed like 3-4 months ago :D

Spurs would be nice, too.

Making noise with every step 

How do you know that?

The .357 fired from a rifle should have (depending on barrel length of rifle/revolver) about 50% more velocity and 100% more energy in the same cartridge.

Do the configuration files suggest something different - is there a difference in bullet damage from sks to akm? If so they take those things in account.

The gamefiles say, that the rifle shotos .357 ammo.

and .357 has only 1 speed, which is 360.

AFAIK, SKS, CZ527 and AKM have also the same damage (so the AKM is like an SKS in full-auto, with PSO and 75 rounds).

Hold on, theres an Mp5 and Mp5K in game?

the MP5-folder is the MP5K, somehow.

in the Mp5K-folder are just files for a model, but no stats, etc.

Edited by irishroy

The gamefiles say, that the rifle shotos .357 ammo.

and .357 has only 1 speed, which is 360.

AFAIK, SKS, CZ527 and AKM have also the same damage (so the AKM is like an SKS in full-auto, with PSO and 75 rounds).

:( that is kind of disappointing. One would think the ARMA Engine is more capable than that.