Sign in to follow this  
bonesnap

Allow Vehicle Quality/Quantity Modifications on Private Shards

It is important to understand what private shards entail for DayZ, and why they are different from "private hives" so well known from the Arma 2 mod.

Can:

• Password protect the server
  • Operate a white list (using BEC)
  • Ban/Kick trouble makers
  • Define and enforce server gameplay rules (eg: DayZRP, PvE only, etc)

Can not:

• Access or modify the base game configuration (amount of loot, amount of dynamic server events, vehicles (when they are implemented), etc)
  • Violate the naming convention declared in the hosting rules (these will be updated to reflect the new private shard capabilities)
  • Have access to the database itself
  • Operate any 3rd party “Admin tools” aside from the approved BEC (BattlEye Extended Controls)
  • Access debug logs (currently these are unavailable for both user privacy, and performance)
  • Exceed current maximum player limits per instance (40, as of the time of the writing of this status report)

I have absolutely no problem with not allowing private shard server admins to modify loot tables..

But I highly recommend allowing changes to vehicle quantities/qualities when they are available. I do not own a server and never have, so this is coming from a player's perspective not an admin's.

Some of my best memories of DayZ mod were on the very-high vehicle-population servers. It was much easier to meet up with friends, and vehicle-initiated gunfights were very interesting.

Quick example: One time somebody hit me with his car, I went flying and my legs were broken. He did a 180 turn about 20 meters away, and got out of his car to try to gun me down behind cover. I lobbed a grenade at the car, it exploded and I won the gunfight, when odds were strongly against my favor. It was exhilarating. Needless to say I attracted more attention, and things escalated, which added to the fun.

Sorry for the long post, but please consider allowing admins to alter vehicle quantities/qualities on private shards. Thanks for reading.

P.S: I understand many people do not like high vehicle-population servers. This is subjective, and you do not have to play on these servers if you do not like this feature.

It is also worth noting that my suggestion does not go against the realism aspect of the game; as in a post-apocalyptic scenario, there would be immeasurable amounts of both working and broken-down vehicles all over the place from survivors trying to flee the country.

EDIT: Damnit. This whole thread is butchered, sorry. A forum admin explained private hives and private shards in another thread, and I interpreted shards as hives.

Since "private hives" will allow admins to modify loot tables, including vehicle quantities, this whole thread is kind of pointless, as I originally thought these private hives were going to be heavily restricted. "Private shards" are just vanilla servers with a few extra controls like passwords and the ability to ban players.

If an admin is reading this, please delete my thread.

• Like 1

Can not:
  • Access or modify the base game configuration (amount of loot, amount of dynamic server events, vehicles (when they are implemented), etc)

This should be answer enough. Vehicles are gear - very high value gear in fact. And they should be something you work hard to get and to maintain. As in "difficult and rewarding". Making them easy in any way would pretty much destroy the apocalyptic atmosphere turning the game in some kind of theme park.

Edited by Evil Minion
  • Like 1

I want to see a ton of broken and half working cars that need repair, and maybe 4 perfect spawns.

You want to play Arma 4 Zombieland, I want to play DayZ.

Try Breaking Point, or play overpoch.

Buuut, according to Dev lore, its like several weeks after DayZero. So, cars dont blow up or disappear...

I want to see a ton of broken and half working cars that need repair, and maybe 4 perfect spawns.

You want to play Arma 4 Zombieland, I want to play DayZ.

Try Breaking Point, or play overpoch.

Buuut, according to Dev lore, its like several weeks after DayZero. So, cars dont blow up or disappear...

Cars were really rare in breaking point, at the start.

This should be answer enough. Vehicles are gear - very high value gear in fact. And they should be something you work hard to get and to maintain. As in "difficult and rewarding". Making them easy in any way would pretty much destroy the apocalyptic atmosphere turning the game in some kind of theme park.

I take it you've never seen shows or movies like 28 Days Later, The Walking Dead, etc? There are vehicles EVERYWHERE. That's one of the signs that chaos occurred. Broken down or working but out-of-fuel, abandoned vehicles everywhere.

Besides, if you don't like it, no one would be forcing you to play on such servers. Do you just scour suggestions forums waiting to bash everyone's ideas?

edit: Also, generally speaking, probably half of the population of non-3rd-world-countries own their own vehicle. For how many zombies there would be, there should be quite a bit of vehicles. What would all the roads be there for if there is 20-40 vehicles on the entire 220 square kilometer map. Would make zero sense.

We can't say for sure yet how many vehicles there will be since they are not yet implemented, but really there should be a half dozen vehicles even around the small towns. No one said they had to be mint condition, or even have any fuel at all. I still think admins should have some control over vehicle quantities, granted they aren't allowed to do silly things like spawn them on the spot.

Edited by bonesnap