cels

Private Shards

Some new rules are set to come for "private shards" as they are now being called instead of "private hives". Not sure exactly why the name change if someone can explain?

"Over the next few weeks we will be working with our game server provider partners to begin the final steps required for the central hive, and their respective back ends to support renting private shards of the DayZ central hive, which will enable dedicated communities to create their own private DayZ worlds.

It is important to understand what private shards entail for DayZ, and why they are different from "private hives" so well known from the Arma 2 mod.

Can:

-Password protect the server

-Operate a white list (using BEC)

-Ban/Kick trouble makers

-Define and enforce server gameplay rules (eg: DayZRP, PvE only, etc)

Can not:

-Access or modify the base game configuration (amount of loot, amount of dynamic server events, vehicles (when they are implemented), etc)

-Violate the naming convention declared in the hosting rules (these will be updated to reflect the new private shard capabilities)

-Have access to the database itself

-Operate any 3rd party “Admin tools” aside from the approved BEC (BattlEye Extended Controls)

-Access debug logs (currently these are unavailable for both user privacy, and performance)

-Exceed current maximum player limits per instance (40, as of the time of the writing of this status report)

We hope that in addition to the thousands of public hive game servers, these private shards (marked by the "Private" flag in the server browser) will empower strong DayZ communities to grow and strengthen their groups.

More information on Private Shards will come as we get closer to this feature going live with our game server partners."

Will be interesting to see what more they have planned. The part im most happy to see so far.. Not being able to mess with loot and vehicles.

More info found at:

http://dayz.com/dev-hub

Edited by cels
  • Like 1

sounds awesome..

also inb4 salty primadonna admins rage

LaV2fLd.gif

Private Hives and Private Shards are different things (although similar):

A private hive uses the servers own private database not managed by BIS, so an admin can do whatever they want with the database. This is what we had in the mod and why admins could spawn in loot, change loot tables, see player locations etc as all that information is in the database which they controlled.

A private shard operates on a separate shard of the central database (run by the devs), this allows communities to have their own private servers without it affecting the main hive and without giving server owners direct access to the database. The system is also flexible enough so that a group of servers could run on this shard of the hive too (or just one single server). This gives the best of both having a database and having a private community, without those private communities affecting the main database. Players would only be able to jump between servers on that private shard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shard_(database_architecture)

• Like 10

i dont understand what is the private shard is server for frend only? if ther is password for join how we can go no password and maybe some clan doing abuse of this system to find many gun and ammo and after coming to normal server but i like idea to make rules because some person they dont want to fight but is no choice in dayz because most person is bandit killer

If ther is password for join how we can go no password and maybe some clan doing abuse of this system to find many gun and ammo and after coming to normal server...

Players would only be able to jump between servers on that private shard.

I can see some issues with this as long as the shard stays connected to the central hive:

• "Friendly" servers spawning highly geared players rampaging on the other servers
  • "Friendly" servers draining friendly players
  • "PvP" servers draining gear and hostile players

Although if server hopping gets fixed (= more difficult/elaborate to pull off) those aspects might balance each other. Still it removes the more extreme players from "default" servers taking away from the experience.

i dont understand what is the private shard is server for frend only? if ther is password for join how we can go no password and maybe some clan doing abuse of this system to find many gun and ammo and after coming to normal server but i like idea to make rules because some person they dont want to fight but is no choice in dayz because most person is bandit killer

google translate english-shrub:

"is great idea friends can play server no other guys and will not able to join normal server like difference is hardcore and regular now too is difference private shard and public shard each has own loot own character own rules"

• Like 5

@SmashT

Thank you for explaining that.. Sounds very good.

Ah - then I got this wrong as I thought switching in and out of a shard was possible. Then we can see server hopping "fixed" in this regard (and only in this).

Edited by Evil Minion

google translate english-shrub:

"is great idea friends can play server no other guys and will not able to join normal server like difference is hardcore and regular now too is difference private shard and public shard each has own loot own character own rules"

i was make the question before smasht is is putting the explain here so please dont do patronise

• Like 1

i was make the question before smasht is is putting the explain here so please dont do patronise

Wasn't patronizing, just answered your question by quoting SmashT.

i apologize. i sincerely did not mean to sound patronizing. i honestly enjoy reading your posts in the way you phrase them, and attempted to recreate the style in my answer - imitation is the highest form of appreciation after all.

• Like 6

Wasn't patronizing, just answered your question by quoting SmashT.

i apologize. i sincerely did not mean to sound patronizing. i honestly enjoy reading your posts in the way you phrase them, and attempted to recreate the style in my answer - imitation is the highest form of appreciation after all.

is ok i am forgive i realise sometime my post looking vary stupid i am try to improve and for me private shard was mystry but now smasht explain i am understand more but i was think you make joke on me but maybe i was react too much can we be frend?

• Like 1

So does this mean a character on a private shard is different than your character on the central hive ? Or could u come from private shard and play sake character on central hive servers ?

Could one gain access to multiple shards and move between them ?

So does this mean a character on a private shard is different than your character on the central hive ? Or could u come from private shard and play sake character on central hive servers ?

Could one gain access to multiple shards and move between them ?

For gameplay purposes a hive and a shard are essentially the same thing. Characters and their gear are bound to a specific shard. If you gear up on a "friendly" server running on a shard A, you will not have the same character on a "PVP" server running on shard B. The difference between a shard and a hive is what SmashT said and that's pretty much just a matter of structure of the database.

• Like 4

Yay, can't wait for PVE servers and a bunch of crap rules to get kicked and banned for not doing what an admin likes. There are already too few HC servers as it is.

I can see some issues with this as long as the shard stays connected to the central hive:

• "Friendly" servers spawning highly geared players rampaging on the other servers
  • "Friendly" servers draining friendly players
  • "PvP" servers draining gear and hostile players

Although if server hopping gets fixed (= more difficult/elaborate to pull off) those aspects might balance each other. Still it removes the more extreme players from "default" servers taking away from the experience.

Sever hopping WONT get fixed. It was stated by Rocket that they want to ENCOURAGE finding rare parts for items like helicopter pieces on other servers.

Can:

- Kick and ban

I ask myself how the "define and enforce" part is meant. Is it just the allowance to kick and ban players who do not follow the rules? Will admins have any chance to find out who "troublemakers" are? Will "friendly fire" be deactivated in PvE only? The dayzRP rules are a bit more complicated, will the server support the admin in any kind?

• Like 1

Sever hopping WONT get fixed. It was stated by Rocket that they want to ENCOURAGE finding rare parts for items like helicopter pieces on other servers.

Dean merely said he would like to encourage people to venture to other servers: that does not mean the exact problem we all have with server hopping will not get fixed, they've tried already with the spawn timer but I can certainly see in the long run trying other more effective methods.

Not that this method in general would suit best, but as an example they can easily encourage changing servers to find loot while also making it so that when you enter another server; you end up back at a random spawn point (but naturally with all your gear) .. and when you choose to leave that server, to choose another one, you again end up at a random point with all your gear. In doing so, server hopping becomes a null factor and the only loot camping possible will be logging off in a high loot area and waiting however long for the loot to respawn or the server to reset, and logging back in and off again which there just isn't any tangible way I can imagine to stop that sort of behavior, but further secure it by making it so that jumping several times between servers doesn't net you a new spawn point each and every time.. and then server hopping won't do anyone any favors, no more ghosting either.. 

They may come up with another method, but nowhere has it been said they won't try to further discourage or make it pointless - to server hop that I am aware of.

Edited by AzrailCross

Fixing is not removing. Adding something like a global loot management system would count as a fix as well. The issue with server hopping right now is that by joining an empty server you can easily gear up and find rare items and then join a populated server with a head start compared to the other players. Its the low-risk/high-reward aspect that is the problem and less the "import items from another server" part.

However I believe switching server should have a noticable cost attached to it - in fact significantly more than just walking to the next town or even military complex. Lets call it "travel time". Just to prevent players from changing servers like crazy and make it feel more like real traveling from one area to another. And of course to make actual traveling viable in comparison.

This way a server-hoppers won't be guys looking for a cheap and fast way to gear up but wanderers in search of rare items. And the way its done would be more akin to "today I will join this server and go through multiple towns and bases in search for treasure" instead of "I join an empty server, run to balota, loot, switch server, loot, switch server, loot... until I have found what I was looking for, switch to high pop server, kill lower geared players, die, switch to empty server, run to balota...".

TL:DR: Server hopping should not be worth it for simply gearing up but only for finding exceptionally rare gear. Thats what I call a "fix".

No, it's pretty much fixed for many people who will simply find a private server they like and log into that. If it doesn't share a shard with any other server no one can hop onto it from another server. They will have to start on the beach(so to speak) and gear up just like everyone else on the server. 

No, it's pretty much fixed for many people who will simply find a private server they like and log into that. If it doesn't share a shard with any other server no one can hop onto it from another server. They will have to start on the beach(so to speak) and gear up just like everyone else on the server. 

Well for private shard ownership yeah. But for general i meant. Otherwise it would just be a safe haven for ppl to duck out of everytime things got crazy.

Well for private shard ownership yeah. But for general i meant. Otherwise it would just be a safe haven for ppl to duck out of everytime things got crazy.

After years of playing DayZ I have come to the conclusion that the Hive ruins a lot of gameplay. Now, that isn't saying that private servers where the owners and mods give everyone an easy button or treat it as their person playground are good, but when you find a well run private server that keeps things rough and keeps out the idiots even bandits who camp spawn points and shoot bambies can be appreciated. I log in and see (playerX) and know that if I go to certain areas I should clear all the normal sniper positions first. I also know no one is going to fly a chopper to the top of a hotel, land, then switch servers to give themselves a place no one can reach them to snipe from.