Lord_Schoko

So how would you like dogs in the game?

I would love to be able to tame a dog with meat, that then follows you around through the harsh landscape of Chernarus, and it could attack zombies for you or you could tell it to stay in a certain area, but you would have to keep feeding it, otherwise it will run away or die.

Or you could tell it to stay at your tent to guard it from raiders and bandits.

Just imagine sitting at your campfire ind the woods with your dog beside you :3 *-*

Just an idea :)

Post what you think

Edited by Lord_Schoko

i believe it has been mentioned at gamescom (?) australia (iirc) there will be friendly pets, such as horses and dogs.

link anyone?

I think it would be pretty tough to tame a feral dog, meat or not. We should, however, come across feral dogs who will fight you to the death over the carcass your skinning!

Edited by Mystic Bagel
  • Like 1

I think they'd be too easy to fuck up. No offense to Rocket and his team, but ArmA 2 already experimented with Alsatians and... well it didn't end well. In fact, the whole section of the game where they planned to incorporate dog units to BLUFOR got scrapped because the engine doesn't do animals. I love the concept of surviving the apocalypse with a good German Shepherd, but they wouldn't actually enhance the game.

1. If they can bark, they can get you shot

2. If they can move independently, you know they aren't going to take cover 

3. If they can attack, you know all the current problems with zombies are going to be x10000 for them

• Like 2

great idea, would be fairly hard to implement but I love the idea of it.

pffft I want domesticated zombies.

'hey zombie, smack that other player 2 floors above us'

• Like 1

Dogs would be a good source of food, easy to lure with meat from a previous hunt. The fur would be good for crafting warm clothing. After all it's a survival situation. Eat what you can whenever you can.

Companion animals would make the game more fun for me. They should be both a blessing and a curse.

Positives:

- Early warning of other survivors and zombies.

- Dogs can detect if other survivors have murdered a lot of people or not and growl if they have.

- If you get shot at close range dog should try to latch onto the shooters arm.

Negatives:

- Dogs require regular feeding/water.

- Dogs increase your chance of being seen because they are dumb.

Fun:

- You can train dogs to follow your movements. The better trained they are the more closely they will follow your movements and orders.

- Example: An untrained dog will just run around and bark when zombies are near. A well-trained dog will only make a low growl.

- Example: A trained dog will go prone when you go prone. A poorly trained dog will do whatever the fuck he wants, possibly drawing attention to you.

I hope they add them.  I don't expect them to be terribly useful and they'll likely just die in any pvp situation, and lead to heart break for anyone getting attached to it but I don't see an issue with adding things like that to the game.  I'd like to see some sort of taming system for them, just because it adds something more to do.  Having to give them meat or whatever.

Same with horses, I really hope they go in even if they'll just end up being shot out from under you constantly and aren't necessarily worth the effort.

The more stuff to do the better.

Horses probably could be one of the best vehicles in the game. No motor sounds, easy to hide, easy to feed, no repairs.

I used to play Lineage where you had dogs and higher-level players would kill your dog and there'd be nothing you could do about it. I WAS TWELVE OKAY. Or fourteen. Or 8. I can't honestly remember, really it's all a bit of a blur.

Anywaaaaays: I intend on doing the same to everyone else's dog that I see should a ridiculous feature like this make it into the game.

You know, just out of spite and protest.

How can you shoot n00bs and dogs? Simple, you just don't lead 'm as much!

• Like 1

Companion animals would make the game more fun for me. They should be both a blessing and a curse.

Positives:

- Early warning of other survivors and zombies.

- Dogs can detect if other survivors have murdered a lot of people or not and growl if they have.

- If you get shot at close range dog should try to latch onto the shooters arm.

Negatives:

- Dogs require regular feeding/water.

- Dogs increase your chance of being seen because they are dumb.

Fun:

- You can train dogs to follow your movements. The better trained they are the more closely they will follow your movements and orders.

- Example: An untrained dog will just run around and bark when zombies are near. A well-trained dog will only make a low growl.

- Example: A trained dog will go prone when you go prone. A poorly trained dog will do whatever the fuck he wants, possibly drawing attention to you.

I love it :)

It would maybe be cool, but it would depend a lot on how the AI would be worked out, like other posters have said.

Realistically though, no one would be taming dogs, as most of the dogs left over in Chernarus would be family pets that were already tame or mostly tame to begin with, we're not domesticating foxes or wolves here.

I would't be against it but I also probably wouldn't bother with it either.  I have yet to play a game where these kind of "pets" have decent enough AI to ultimately not end up being more trouble than they are worth.

I've never been interested about dogs in the game. They would be just a waste of time IMO. Maybe a horse companion that you can ride could be a good addition because you wouldn't need to do too much AI stuff for them.

Horses probably could be one of the best vehicles in the game. No motor sounds, easy to hide, easy to feed, no repairs.

You forgot "easy to shoot."  ;)

Companion Dogs would be cool. It is going to be heartbreak when it gets shot though..

I like the idea of having a packs of wild dogs in cities and such though. just running through grabbing food or attacking players, that could be interesting.

A dog companions would work only, if the A.I is minimal...to avoid frustration. The dog should stay near it's owner's side all the time. It should sprint, crouch, crawl etc. when the player does it. Maybe the owner could use crosshair to point at target and press "Kill!" -button to send the dog to do dirty work. Imagine scoping from 1km away and order your dog to kill that pesky sniper on the Elektro hospital roof (okay, maybe there should be a distance limit).

Horses, on the other hand, should have enough A.I to flee. Shoot near it=flee. Wave hands too much=flee. A clown masked player approaches=flee. See a bear=flee uncontrollably, while the rider prays there won't be any cliffs ahead. The owner walks behind the horse and is close enough=kick the frontal lobe.

But seriously, horses would be a great addition to the game. If they were rare enough, people would target the rider, not horse.

I've never been interested about dogs in the game. They would be just a waste of time IMO. Maybe a horse companion that you can ride could be a good addition because you wouldn't need to do too much AI stuff for them.

lol! Wait, let me get a programmer on that ...

I think at this early stage of development having ANY kind of AI companion would be more of a burden than help or company. Think about it. Your dog randomly runs off blowing your cover or attacking a infected that doesn't need to be attacked. Or barks and gives away your cover. No sir a companion is a BAD idea this early in the stage of the game. Ill stick to the loan wolf without the baggage of a pet for the moment.

• Like 1

I think being able to train a dog would be cool. Then the dog could pal around with you (dependent on whether you keep him well fed or something) and watch your six, warn you of a player who gets too close ,etc. Lots of possibilities.

As cool as it might be, I really don't think you 'd have much luck keeping a companion dog alive longer than yourself, I mean how long do you spend having to "train" it? 3 minutes? Do you even know how hard it is to train a dog NOT to bark? They would have a line of zombies a mile long chasing it let alone the fact it would attract every KoS'er within earshot to your location. I live in a semi-rural area and I can hear dogs barking from a LONG way off

This isn't MMORP Dancing with Wolves, its a multiplayer survival game...your dog is dead meat, and you're next!

Edited by Mystic Bagel