bauertschi

Key Assignments - 2xW for Turbo not working

Hi,

I got a problem reassigning tubo. I heard in several places that with 0.47 you should set your keybindings to default. I actuall did that now and "2xW" is not default for turbo any more with "Left Shift". I tried to reassign that and the results were not great. What I did exactly (in current experimental):

1. Reset assignments to DAYZ

2. Test 2xW, did not work.

3. Add "2xW" to Turbo.

IT WORKED AT THIS POINT, both left shift and 2xW - at least I'm convinced, it did, tested it only for a few seconds and I'm not 100% sure any more. But I just needed to mess around with it some more. I removed it again, set it again, looked through the other bindings - and bam, double pressing W did not work any more.

Since then I tried to set it again, tried it in stable, deleted the complete DayZ folder and set everything again and checked the .DayZProfile file (keyTurbo[]={42,273};). I finally used an unmodified old .DayZProfile file from a friend who still has the old defaults with working "2xW". Nothing helped, I can not get the game to accept "2xW" for sprinting any more.

I can live with left shift in houses, towns, but I really don't want to go from Svetlo to Balota this way. I read that some have successfully reassigned it, so what am I doing wrong here? Assuming that 273 is double pressing w it is set in this file. It is also set in the ingame key bindings page.

They removed that. Why would you unbind it from Shift? It's much better with W+Shift.

Edited by SFRGaming

You can't run fast anymore by pressing your "forward-key" twice? That's extremely annoying. This way of running fast is very convenient.

• Like 1

They removed that. Why would you unbind it from Shift? It's much better with W+Shift.

Well, better is a subjective thing. I always used shift for jump, like in all other games I play. Most use space for that, but usually reassigned that, jumping always seemed more important and using the shift seems easier and faster to me.

I know it was removed as default, but I think someone managed to reassign it. You can assign 2xW in the options menu, the game allows that. And everyone (as far as I know) who did not reset the key bindings can still use 2xW for sprinting in 0.47.

EDIT: I wanted to experiment if straving was maybe faster with shift (you can't press w twice, when you want to just move sideways) and it was advised to reset key bindings with 0.47 if I remember correctly, that's why I did it.

Edited by bautschi

Honestly I don't like the sprinting mode with 2x W because you notice significant drawbacks when it comes to having your gun aimed.

I.E. running through a town with your gun aimed just in case and when you start running sometimes it resets your back to your aiming position which is never an issue when I do Shift+W.

You can't run fast anymore by pressing your "forward-key" twice? That's extremely annoying. This way of running fast is very convenient.

I had no trouble in 0.47 before resetting my key bindings, it worked until I did, so don't panic. I see no technical problem for the future there, it is possible to still assign it in the menu, it just currently does not seem to take the change. Double assignments don't seem to be a problem in the menu, although I have not tested if others currently work or don't work. Maybe turbo toggle will also come... .

EDIT: Back to the problem, was no one succefully able to add 2xW for turbo again?

Edited by bautschi

ok, double assignments are not the problem, in addition to left shift I also assigned b. That worked. Tried to assign 2xb which did not work, so it seems like double assignments are working, but using 2xsomething is not. No matter what the intention in the changes was, I can only assume that 2xsomething is broken or temporarily removed. I don't think it is intended to be like that forever, there is no disadvantage in allowing double pressing keys for something...

I think I'm gonna get a cramp in my left hand soon travelling from town to town this way :(

Edited by bautschi

ok, everything is fine again - well, at least concerning this thread. There are two key assignments that seem to do the same thing -sprint:

First there is "Turbo". Adding 2xW here for sprinting did not work

Then there is "Fast Forward" which was not set at all directly under that. I tried setting 2xW there and it works again.

Now though I can only wonder, what the difference is...we'll see. If I figure it out, I'll post it.

Edited by bautschi

Hi,

I got a problem reassigning tubo. I heard in several places that with 0.47 you should set your keybindings to default. I actuall did that now and "2xW" is not default for turbo any more with "Left Shift". I tried to reassign that and the results were not great. What I did exactly (in current experimental):

1. Reset assignments to DAYZ

2. Test 2xW, did not work.

3. Add "2xW" to Turbo.

IT WORKED AT THIS POINT, both left shift and 2xW - at least I'm convinced, it did, tested it only for a few seconds and I'm not 100% sure any more. But I just needed to mess around with it some more. I removed it again, set it again, looked through the other bindings - and bam, double pressing W did not work any more.

Since then I tried to set it again, tried it in stable, deleted the complete DayZ folder and set everything again and checked the .DayZProfile file (keyTurbo[]={42,273} ;). I finally used an unmodified old .DayZProfile file from a friend who still has the old defaults with working "2xW". Nothing helped, I can not get the game to accept "2xW" for sprinting any more.

I can live with left shift in houses, towns, but I really don't want to go from Svetlo to Balota this way. I read that some have successfully reassigned it, so what am I doing wrong here? Assuming that 273 is double pressing w it is set in this file. It is also set in the ingame key bindings page.

Confirmed. I tried the same thing yesterday with no success.

Sidenote: Rocket, Y U RESET MY SETTING EACH UPDATE?

Wait, I was playing last night or the night before and double-tapping W worked fine. Did a hotfix come out, or something?

Uh, in a game like Battlefield where you're running around an urban area ducking in and out of houses shooting other players, then yeah, [Shift] is great. When running several kilometers from town to town, it is not.

Luckily for me, my gaming keyboard software lets me bind both functions to one key, however, I feel bad for those with carpal tunnel syndrome that now have to suffer twofold.

Edited by Grimey Rick

I have mine set to a mix of old and new.

Keep turbo to L Shift.

To get 2xW to sprint, bind that to fast forward.

I run with both because I like options. Shift is great for short spurts (like combat) and the 2xW is for long distance marthonrs

• Like 1

Well, I played around a little bit yesterday, I did not see a difference between Turbo and Fast Forward besides assigning double tapping letters not working in Turbo.

@BeefBacon, I reset the key bindings in the menu, if you do nothing, nothing changes, no worries. I guess that's what I deserved for changing a running system, but I repeat, you can assight double tapping w to Fast Forward everything is as before.

@Grimey Rick, after running around for 30 minutes with left shift from town to town, I quit. Not calling it pain, but the slight discomfort in my left underarm got me asking why the hell I was doing that voluntarily in my free time...I got quite short fingers, so maybe that was a problem.