Sign in to follow this  
irishroy

Ideas concerning tents

#1 Craftable tents

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/2c5nhw/craft_able_tent/

Overall, this is a survival-game after a Zombie-outbreak.

We can make improvised backpacks out of burlapsack, leather, rope and sticks.

So let us craft tents ;)

Of course, craftable tents should be different to the big camping-tent.

The difference could be the storage, but also the level of difficulty to build such a tent and to aquire the needed items.

Since such a tent is smaller, the items should be easier to obtain.

They could look a bit like these roman tents:

comitatusleathertent3.jpgcomitatusleathertent4.jpgtent.jpg

Probably required items:

Obviously: 

• Animalskins. Either Cow- or Deerskin (since these are the largest) Maybe 2-4 of them?
  • Rope (1-3)
  • (Ashwood)-sticks (3-5)

Maybe:

• sewing kit (to "mount" the rope on the leather)

#2 Camouflaging tents (all kinds, normal and crafted ones)

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/2c3c80/suggestion_adding_leaves_and_branches_to_tents/

• With some kind of military tent or tarp 

Camouflage-Nets-Anti-Military-Aerial-fon6564web.jpg2013-New-Free-Shipping-Waterproof-camoufjwm3085.jpg

• With 1-3 ropes a improvised net could be crafted. Then add several sticks, kindling or leaves.

These nets then could be simply attached to the tent like an attachment to a gun.

• Spraypainting tents! All kinds of tents (crafted leather ones or bigger camping-tents like the one we have right now) should be paintable with green, black or green-black (like the camo on the Mosin and CZ527).  Since this normally takes quite much of paint, why not degrade the spray-can by 50%-100% after 1 use?

What do you think? Yes, no, maybe?

Too hard to craft or implement? :D

Edited by irishroy
  • Like 8

Yes definetely,i actually made a suggestion about player-crafted tents not long ago.

Another good idea would be to allow survivors to paint the leather tent to their desired colours using the spraycans.

So you can have a camo tent using green and black spraycans.

Yes definetely,i actually made a suggestion about player-crafted tents not long ago.

Another good idea would be to allow survivors to paint the leather tent to their desired colours using the spraycans.

So you can have a camo tent using green and black spraycans.

Sorry for reposting your idea then ;)

and spraypainting tents is just an awesome idea!

Sorry for reposting your idea then ;)

and spraypainting tents is just an awesome idea!

No,don't be,anyways you took it one step furter with the use of tarp.

I'm happy we get to have more than 1 post concerning player crafted tents.

So that means the suggestion is popular among the community and the devs have higher chance seeing it.

No,don't be,anyways you took it one step furter with the use of tarp.

I'm happy we get to have more than 1 post concerning player crafted tents.

So that means the suggestion is popular among the community and the devs have higher chance seeing it.

no-country-for-old-thumbs.jpg

:D

Edited by irishroy
  • Like 1

when heating issues are added can we have tents which are better suited to cold environments?

also sleeping bags.

i only ask because i last went camping in november with summer gear and i really regretted it... so in a colder climate this would probably lead to death.

when heating issues are added can we have tents which are better suited to cold environments?

also sleeping bags.

i only ask because i last went camping in november with summer gear and i really regretted it... so in a colder climate this would probably lead to death.

since our character doesn't sleep (in the tent), this is not really important, I think ;)

I really hope we never are forced to sleep.

Sleep/resting should give a bonus (running-speed, etc.), but not-sleeping should never bring disadvantages.

This is overall a game, and games are supposed to be fun (of course, some think it's fun, if DayZ forced you to brush your teeth regularly, otherwise you'll get toothache and can't eat anymore, etc.etc., but that's the minority  <_<  )

since our character doesn't sleep (in the tent), this is not really important, I think ;)

I really hope we never are forced to sleep.

Sleep/resting should give a bonus (running-speed, etc.), but not-sleeping should never bring disadvantages.

This is overall a game, and games are supposed to be fun (of course, some think it's fun, if DayZ forced you to brush your teeth regularly, otherwise you'll get toothache and can't eat anymore, etc.etc., but that's the minority  <_<  )

hadn't really thought about sleeping, however if later in development there were snowstorms, then seeking shelter in a tent might be necessary. Each piece of clothing could have a warmth rating, which affected your chances of survival.

hadn't really thought about sleeping, however if later in development there were snowstorms, then seeking shelter in a tent might be necessary. Each piece of clothing could have a warmth rating, which affected your chances of survival.

there won't be real "snowstorms" or seasons, because this would involve modding the whole map for winter&snow, fall, etc.

However, in a few months I think, clothes protect against cold weather and rain and prevent getting sick.

(the DEVs already made a few steps in this direction: Player becomes wet ==> cold&wet. Maybe if you are wet&cold for X time, you become cath a cold and become sick)

Okay, if we don't get snow (but ideally we should) then we should have varying degrees of rainfall, and varying temperatures (maybe ranging from somewhere around +15 degrees to -5 degrees depending on time of day and a random number generator).

Quite often in cases of extreme survival people die from little things like not wearing warm enough clothes, or not cleaning their wounds. Most do not die from violence (Obviously the presence of zombies means that violence should comprise a good portion of deaths). So if more ways to die were added then that would be great. Here's a list of things off the top of my head:

Hypothermia

Hyperthemia (most likely not an issue, but maybe if we got a warmer map for different servers?)

Frostbite

Infection

Cold/Flu

Chest infection (spending too much time in damp places)

Exhaustion (humans can't technically die of exhaustion, however it can be an important contributing factor in death)

Most importantly every 'meter' should tie in together. For example, if you are bleeding then you might survive long enough to run away and bandage yourself. But if you are also suffering from hypothermia then you will most likely fall unconscious before you can escape.

Edited by 11tw