d.walker43

Is the update as bad as everyone says?

The point of playing a game is alpha is not "Getting used" to the controls. It's providing feedback on the patch so that we may improve the game for future patches, whether that be negative or positive.

While I generally agree, it needs to be done in a constructive manner. & it is definitely not uncommon to see unconstructive, incoherent opinions on current day game mechanics. There's a difference between stating "OMG fix these f****** controls now Rocket this s*** sucks", & "I don't favor the new gameplay controls & I feel that improvements can be made in these fields. Let me explain why, in depth..". People NEED to get "use to" the controls, so that they can fully experience their functionality, rather than saying that they dislike them & they're not an improvement, but rather a step backwards simply because someone is not use to them yet.

We make it seem "way worse than it is" because we have opinions on how we feel about the updates, and a lot of people really don't like it. Some people do, but most of them aren't telling the people who don't like it to "get used to it" for the most part. And that's awesome if they like it. I'm not sure HOW they do, but they do, so good for them.

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but it's how you PRESENT that opinion, if you want to be taken the least bit serious. This is where constructive criticism is important. People don't explain why they don't like it, other than it being foreign & new. With the exception of those who actually do provide constructive feedback.

But please, don't tell me it's about "getting used" to something

At what point did I tell YOU that it's simply a matter of getting use to? I was responding to the OP who asked for our opinion on the new patch that HE HAS YET TO EVEN TEST FOR HIMSELF. Therefore, I told him It's a matter of getting use to it so that he could gather a legitimate opinion for himself, & then even provide his own feedback just as I'm doing now.

As soon as I'm used to it, it's probably going to be changed in the next patch.

This is all the more reason to get use to the controls. They're constantly changing. & how can you even begin to express a legitimate opinion if you haven't even fully experienced all of the mechanics first-handedly for yourself? Whether it be past, current, or future mechanics? If that's your logic, you might as well just put down the game until Beta, when things aren't always "changing".

So far from what i've seen in the community and talked with a lot of my DayZ friends, the overall consensus from what - i - have seen is that the new movement is not favorable.

& all of those people have decided that the new controls are unfavorable because they've gotten use to the controls & tested them for themselves, correct? Otherwise their opinion is irrelevant.

Overall, I was saying people need to get use to controls in the sense that they can fully experience their functionality. Not in a "that's just how it is, deal with it, get use to it" sense.

Off topic..

Is that me on the right as the red-headed cheerleader? lol

• Like 5

I have been playing with the new movement on the experimental servers ( i imagine its the same as whats just hit stable) i find it both very good and quite authentic to be honest to many people complain you cant go straight from crouch to sprint  its kinda oh no you actually have to push to stand up and run kinda thing. Play it realize it and you will soon forget it was ever different to that.

Cant comment on any of the other updates as i am not sure what from experimental has gone to stable, as i like to play experimental both to get the latest toys and so i can report bugs/issues on the tracker....

• Like 1

All I know is that I was excited about seeing better zombie collision but the very first zombie I encountered fell through the stairs immediately.

On experimental, everyone made it sound like zombies were not walking through objects so what the hell?

Guys, I think its time to admit that the game is impossible to complete by 2020 at this rate of development.

We are going on 9 months and nothing major has been fixed.

All I know is that I was excited about seeing better zombie collision but the very first zombie I encountered fell through the stairs immediately.

On experimental, everyone made it sound like zombies were not walking through objects so what the hell?

Guys, I think its time to admit that the game is impossible to complete by 2020 at this rate of development.

We are going on 9 months and nothing major has been fixed.

Sigh. As I told you in your thread not all buildings have navmesh and its the FIRST iteration of the navmesh people. This is not Unreal Engine 4 and all it's next gen glory where implementing a navmesh is a simple click away and some slight tweaking. Please uninstall DayZ from your Steam library and come back when it's in beta. This game is not for you at this stage.

Edited by haknslash

While I generally agree, it needs to be done in a constructive manner. & it is definitely not uncommon to see unconstructive, incoherent opinions on current day game mechanics. There's a difference between stating "OMG fix these f****** controls now Rocket this s*** sucks", & "I don't favor the new gameplay controls & I feel that improvements can be made in these fields. Let me explain why, in depth..".

Okay, cool...this is basic logic. Don't know why you need to explain that to me lol

People NEED to get "use to" the controls, so that they can fully experience their functionality, rather than saying that they dislike them & they're not an improvement, but rather a step backwards simply because someone is not use to them yet.

I think based on what the controls are previously compared to what they are now, I think I can immediately tell whether or not I like it. I don't need to play it extensively to come to an educated conclusion. In my opinion, the controls are a step in the wrong direction. 

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but it's how you PRESENT that opinion, if you want to be taken the least bit serious. This is where constructive criticism is important. People don't explain why they don't like it, other than it being foreign & new. With the exception of those who actually do provide constructive feedback.

Okay....I'm aware of this....

At what point did I tell YOU that it's simply a matter of getting use to? I was responding to the OP who asked for our opinion on the new patch that HE HAS YET TO EVEN TEST FOR HIMSELF. Therefore, I told him It's a matter of getting use to it so that he could gather a legitimate opinion for himself, & then even provide his own feedback just as I'm doing now.

By stating that the solution is to "It's just a matter of getting used to it" you are basically stating that every person needs to become accustomed to the new movement system to have a legitimate opinion to it. This is not true. At least that's the impression I got from this statement. I IMMEDIATELY noticed the differences between the two dynamics of movement, and I am not in favor of the changes. I also don't like the new zombie spawning system. I don't need to "get used to it" to have a formulated opinion on the subject matter. To me it is not the way I think it should be, and that is my opinion from the MOMENT I started playing the new build

This is all the more reason to get use to the controls. They're constantly changing. & how can you even begin to express a legitimate opinion if you haven't even fully experienced all of the mechanics first-handedly for yourself? Whether it be past, current, or future mechanics? If that's your logic, you might as well just put down the game until Beta, when things aren't always "changing".

Again, my whole point is I don't need to "get used to" something to have a formulated opinion on it. If I did not convey that effectively then that is my fault. And to what extent would you say is "fully experiencing" the mechanics? How long do I have to play?

& all of those people have decided that the new controls are unfavorable because they've gotten use to the controls & tested them for themselves, correct? Otherwise their opinion is irrelevant.

Wrong. There are many things that you can be accustomed to in the game and have changes that are favorable in the right direction. I am not resistant to these changes simply because they are "new". I am against the entire mechanics of the new system and how they affect an already bogged-down movement system. It's just adding more clunkiness to an already clunky system.

Overall, I was saying people need to get use to controls in the sense that they can fully experience their functionality. Not in a "that's just how it is, deal with it, get use to it" sense.

Fair enough

Off topic..

Is that me on the right as the red-headed cheerleader? lol

Yes, but you've on the JV team. I'm sure you'll be replaced very soon :P

Edited by DeatHTaX

Regardless, everything you're speaking out of is personal experience, which is the theme of my argument nonetheless.

I'm only explaining myself because you had addressed me in the first place, as if my OP was directed towards you.

Which it wasn't, & more so directed at the general community.

Yes, but you've on the JV team. I'm sure you'll be replaced very soon :P

But I don't wanna lose my pom-poms  :(

Edited by blunce

My two buddies said, that game runs worse in terms of FPS.

I've not noticed that myself though.

Melee system is wonky, I thought it's because they are reworking it.

Found black track suit pants and !jacket! which made my day! :-)

Game breaking? Hardly. The melee hit detection is currently messed up so you have to change your aim a little. It takes all of like 5 minutes to get adjusted to it, just like when the melee hit detection got messed up around .44 I think it was. Don't use anything but an axe IMHO. Even if you swing and hit nothing but air you should still be circle strafing to keep from being hit so I don't know what you guys are doing but it's wrong. Plus It's alpha and shit is going to get messed up from time to time as they add new features and content. Those of us that live in experimental are probably used to this by now and honestly this is one of the better updates this game has received. I'd gladly take the melee hit detection being off because now you can actually lose a zombie, or 5, by running through and around buildings since we have the initial navmesh in place, yet you don't see anyone praising that long complaint of zombies glitching through walls. Is it perfect? No, but it's not supposed to be at this point. I would suggest to come back when it's in beta when things gets polished if you do not like to see things get wonky during development.

The duping is game breaking. I'll give you an example from last night.

Two guys running around Berezino like they were playing COD, shooting everything that moves. We took them out, and found they were wearing exactly the same thing. M4s, four 60-round magazines, same clothing, same bags, even down to the same contents and food in their hunter backpacks. Victory, right?

Fifteen minutes later the same two guys wearing the same exact thing find us again. We killed them again, wearing the exact same thing as they had before.

Dupers are ruining this game. At this point, I'm just wasting time in this game until H1Z1 comes out. Wahh wahh, it's alpha, I get it.... But it's been months upon months and we've been lied to constantly about the development of the game.

Edited by ZMV

The duping is game breaking. I'll give you an example from last night.

Two guys running around Berezino like they were playing COD, shooting everything that moves. We took them out, and found they were wearing exactly the same thing. M4s, four 60-round magazines, same clothing, same bags, even down to the same contents and food in their hunter backpacks. Victory, right?

Fifteen minutes later the same two guys wearing the same exact thing find us again. We killed them again, wearing the exact same thing as they had before.

Dupers are ruining this game. At this point, I'm just wasting time in this game until H1Z1 comes out. Wahh wahh, it's alpha, I get it.... But it's been months upon months and we've been lied to constantly about the development of the game.

Dupers are not a game breaking mechanic. They are an annoyance sure but until the hacking and exploiting is resolved I don't let it bother me because there is nothing you can do at this point. 160 hours in now and have only had one hacker experience where they stole gear out of my backpack. I've seen hacked mags out there and I just leave them be. Stop playing in regular and your hacker or duper encounter will be far less possible sicne most of them stick to easy mode so they can 3PP exploit.

Nobody is lying to you. SMH. Things are almost right on course with the roadmap so I'm not sure where you're pulling that from. Please go play H1Z1 until you feel like coming back to DayZ, if ever. BTW I don't see you upset the Sony devs have already started off by lying to you. Remember that "4-6 weeks" Smedley threw out as nothing more than hype bait. Later to be followed by Soon™. Yeah...

Edited by haknslash

IMO the movements are still broken as hell. All they did was add a layer of clunkyness on top of the clunkyness.

Again this is just my opinion. :P

Shh, don't aggravate the DayZ cheerleading team. They'll have your posts locked and sent to the Graveyard faster than they could suck a golf ball through a garden hose. ;3

• Like 1

Except for the rare left mouse button issue, the game works fine.

The caveat is that alpha-dayz requires a pretty nice rig to run smooth like.  I've played for several hundred more hours than I'd like to admit, have a nice PC, and rarely encounter the problems that I see other people on the forums are having.  /shrug

Can you post your specs? I have a good computer that runs all other games damn fine. But this one is all clunk city. Mine is an Phenom II x4 980 Black, 8GB DDr3 ram, Radeom HD 78502GB 2x in crossfire

Dupers are not a game breaking mechanic. They are an annoyance sure but until the hacking and exploiting is resolved I don't let it bother me because there is nothing you can do at this point. 160 hours in now and have only had one hacker experience where they stole gear out of my backpack. I've seen hacked mags out there and I just leave them be. Stop playing in regular and your hacker or duper encounter will be far less possible sicne most of them stick to easy mode so they can 3PP exploit.

Nobody is lying to you. SMH. Things are almost right on course with the roadmap so I'm not sure where you're pulling that from. Please go play H1Z1 until you feel like coming back to DayZ, if ever. BTW I don't see you upset the Sony devs have already started off by lying to you. Remember that "4-6 weeks" Smedley threw out as nothing more than hype bait. Later to be followed by Soon™. Yeah...

I only play hardcore. I have everything from last night on video.

The hackers, glitchers, and dupers are game breaking, because the game is built around player interactions. When those interactions are molested by hackers and dupers, what else is there to do in game? You can only loot on low-pop or empty servers so much, you know, and the duping issue has not been addressed, even though it's been a problem for months now.

Regarding my feelings toward SOE reps statements, those thoughts are best expressed on another forum....

But know this: H1Z1 will kill this game if the devs don't do something about the hackers and dupers. 

Sigh. As I told you in your thread not all buildings have navmesh and its the FIRST iteration of the navmesh people. This is not Unreal Engine 4 and all it's next gen glory where implementing a navmesh is a simple click away and some slight tweaking. Please uninstall DayZ from your Steam library and come back when it's in beta. This game is not for you at this stage.

But will you admit that at the current rate of development, the game needs about 4 years? This is not a joke, just an honest approximation due to very little core improvements on eight months.

We cant ignore the elephant in the room any longer if we are going to be honest.

• Like 2

But will you admit that at the current rate of development, the game needs about 4 years? This is not a joke, just an honest approximation due to very little core improvements on eight months.

We cant ignore the elephant in the room any longer if we are going to be honest.

You're right, we can't ignore the elephant in the room - so please shut the hell up. 

• Like 1

Lol. So you wont admit that nothing major has been fixed in eight months which means logically the game will require several years to fix it.... So all you say is " shut the hell up". What planet do some of you people live on?

How is my estimation of 4 to 6 years wrong?

Edited by Zed's Dead
  • Like 2

No I don't agree with your timeframe. We will have to just agree to disagree on this one.

There is no elephant in the room from my perspective. The problem is some people can't see the forest for the trees. Despite warnings you bought a game knowing its in an unfinished state and without any solid timeframe of when the game will be finished after beta. I think we still have at least another year in alpha and possibly a year or more in beta. If it took longer it doesn't matter to me as I'm in this for the long haul.

I can't really record with Fraps any more this patch.  I know Fraps is notoriously not so great due to FPS drops and what not, but it's what I've always used and I'm used to it.  This patch however, when ever I start recording/pre-recording my frames drop to 1 for some reason.

Anyone else getting that?

yes, but .... there isn't an elephant in the room, dude ...

(you feeling ok ?)

I haven't played in ages but I'm pretty pleased with the update. Ive just had the left mouse button bug happen and I pooped a lil bit, due to having a zombies fists all up in my face at the time. The movement feels like kind of a mixed bag for me. Restricting movement speed while aiming your gun is good I feel, but I think a light jog would probably lift a lot of tedium for people. Ideally I'd like to see the end of this infinite sprint nonsense, force players to take things at a light pace for a while and only speed up when they need it. I actually spend quite a lot of my play time tonight walking rather than running and it's a pretty interesting experience.

I haven't noticed much in the way of FPS drop, and melee hasn't caused me any real problems, a missed axe swing here or there. The intro NavMesh seems reasonably solid, its refreshing to finally see zeds using doorways and stairs. Honestly its one of the biggest improvements Ive seen since I started playing the Standalone, and I cant understand people whinging about a lack of progess in development...

Overall I'm quite pleased with how things are shaping up. Asfor talk of hackers and duping...the game isn't currently in a state thats even really intended to be a truly playable experience, it's still in testing. I seriously doubt that kind of thing is high on the devs list of priorities at the minute. Let them build the actual game, worry about that kind of thing when we're out of alpha

I only play hardcore. I have everything from last night on video.

The hackers, glitchers, and dupers are game breaking, because the game is built around player interactions. When those interactions are molested by hackers and dupers, what else is there to do in game? You can only loot on low-pop or empty servers so much, you know, and the duping issue has not been addressed, even though it's been a problem for months now.

Regarding my feelings toward SOE reps statements, those thoughts are best expressed on another forum....

But know this: H1Z1 will kill this game if the devs don't do something about the hackers and dupers.

There is an long H1Z1 thread in the off topic section. Feel free to post there. Personally H1Z1 is a different game tailored towards a more casual/fun play style along with a cash store. It's completely different in that regard to DayZ not to mention being more on the realistic/sim side. I'll give that game a try once its free* but personally I don't see anything ground breaking for this genre and every idea has already been done either in DayZ or in Rust. The graphics also look horrible to me but that's all a personal feeling on style. I can only hope a lot of the young, toxic DayZ community leaves for H1Z1 so I'm hoping its successful lol. DayZ SA has already made a crapload of money so I don't think they're as worried as you might expect them to be. Speaking of other survival games, Miscreated on the otherhand could be a nice gem and I'm really looking forward to that game. Edited by haknslash

My experience so far has been similar play except for:

1) My first encounter with an invisible zombie east of the nw military base

2) LMB glitch?  I think that is what everyone is referring to.  Basically, I can't fire after a while.  That is kind of a drawback.

I have also had an issue with my keyboard/mouse mapping going back to default which I usually find out when a zombie starts chewing on my ass, but what else is new.  It is strangely similar to being married over 5 years.

BTW, can those of you tired of the whining, or who feel the need to go on about how your top of the line machine = no issues... can you just refrain from chiming in with that fluff?  It does nothing to enhance this forum, just adds to the clutter.  Grow some Zen and chill (IMO of course).

Edited by Zombie Milkman
  • Like 2

But know this: H1Z1 will kill this game....

You know what i want in chernarus ? POPCORN !  We have a frying pan right ?