gibonez

EXP - Map now shows the players exact position

Personally I don't mind it. I doubt it's a bug. However, I have to imagine that DayZ staff and potentially future GM type activities (if there's ever in server events supported) would rely on this. It obviously took code to make it happen, so it's not a bug. The question is whether or not they meant for everyone to see it. My guess is yes. I rarely use maps anyway, so I don't see this as a big deal - the DayZ online map (with range finding) I know where pretty much everything is (including myself) so who cares if there's a "you are here!" indicator? Also, anyone who's played enough hours roughly knows where they are when the spawn anyway.

I support this effort.

I'm one of those who uses DayzDB, the reason being mainly because I don't want to have to hunt all over for several pieces of a complete map, especially when I've only ever found less than 5 total in the entire time playing DayZ. At this point, since it's Alpha and I'm most likely going to have to start new characters eventually anyway once it releases, I'm mainly doing it now so that I can find my way around quicker. Once the game releases, I may try going without it and trying to find pieces of a map, though, in my opinion, I think it would be better to have whole maps lying about, since you'd realistically be more likely to find them whole rather than in pieces; and it would make playing just a tad bit easier, enough that people wouldn't get frustrated as often, but not so much to break the game for veterans. I suppose you could still have pieces to put together, but having that as your only manner of having a map is, IMO, a tad bit ridiculous. They should be rare, of course, but still available.

All that aside, I would also hope that this tracking bug IS just a bug; I like having to survey my surroundings and compare them to the map in order to establish where I am. I suppose, especially for now since I don't even use the in-game map, having it show just your location wouldn't really bother me, but being able to see others nearby? For me, since I'm not using the in-game map, and since it's so difficult to actually piece one together, I would be at a severe disadvantage, especially since someone who has the ability to see me on a map would likely be geared enough to make short work of me, and I'd have no idea they were coming. This alone is enough for me to be against having that ability.

I had a map and could not see this yellow circle showing my position or any other player.  Maybe it is a bug?  I only had one piece of the map, not sure if that matters or not.

I had a map and could not see this yellow circle showing my position or any other player.  Maybe it is a bug?  I only had one piece of the map, not sure if that matters or not.

Was that the Stable release or Experimental?

Chernarus is small. I can navigate the whole map without going to a website nor using an in-game map and compass.  To me, this is a non-issue. Anything that will help my friends get into the game faster is appreciated by me.

This just further illustrates the need for multiple game modes for beginners vs veterans. There is no way to balance a single game mode for every experience level.

Edited by scriptfactory

This can obviously only be a bug.

What so somewhere in the coding they accidentally messed something up to the point that some screwed up glitch gives maps the ability to pinpoint the players location?

Yeah I'm gonna have to disagree with you HARD on that.

Besides, why is this a huge deal? Most of us vets know our way around Chernaurus pretty well by now. Not like most of us pick them up anyway

Edited by DeatHTaX

Chernarus is small. I can navigate the whole map without going to a website nor using an in-game map and compass.  To me, this is a non-issue. Anything that will help my friends get into the game faster is appreciated by me.

No let them learn the hard way like everyone else did before them.

In fact make it harder for everyone by keeping stuff like this off and then maybe just maybe introduce a hard to find gps that you can set waypoints on.

• Like 1

I hope it stays as another differentiation between normal and hardcore. many mod servers had map waypoints and position on map sown. i have no problem with it at all. realism nuts go play hardcore.

• Like 1

Yeah I always hated having go alt tab and check my Googled Chernaurus DayZ:SA map

spoiled brats....

Hope its a bug....

Player markers....whats next....waypoints.....NO!

The main problem I have with player marker is it removes any and all skill from reading a map and means you can never be lost if you have one. If you want your cords without having to read the terrain, find a GPS! :)

If I had my way, alt-tabbing would close the game out entirely. But, that's clearly never going to happen.

People still alt-tab these days?

If you Shift-tab you can open the steam overlay, click website and copy paste the url of the map in to it.

Therefore, you can swap between the map and the game faster than it would take to check the map in game.

Edited by Exorade

If you Shift-tab you can open the steam overlay, click website and copy paste the url of the map in to it.

Therefore, you can swap between the map and the game faster than it would take to check the map in game.

HUSH NOW with your heretical meta-gaming THIS INSTANT!!!

If this is a legitimate feature this is where I quit DayZ and I have never come close to saying that.

Really? for the sake of a map you probably dont even use? Do you give up that easy on everything that bothers you?

• Like 1

What so somewhere in the coding they accidentally messed something up to the point that some screwed up glitch gives maps the ability to pinpoint the players location?

Yeah I'm gonna have to disagree with you HARD on that.

If it is the exact same feature as in the Arma2 map, then it could indeed be possible, because the code would be present already. It would have been a case of accidentally activating it.

• Like 1

Showing ennemies can only be a bug / leftover from Arma.

Why would they do something like that intentionally when stealth and caution are supposed to make a huge difference ?

Is your current position always centered smack in the middle of the map, or do you have to search for the icon, necessiting a level of awareness of your whereabouts ?

Red

and since when does another player HAVE to be highlighted as an enemy? how would the game know what other players intentions are?

Also, I discovered another amazing feature of the steam browser yesterday. I had gotten lost while playing on a night server a few days back, so I was crossing half the map to hook up with some friends. Suddenly, while sneaking past the airfield, I hear a voice talking to me - not English, possibly German or Dutch. I yell at my friends to shut up on team speak. Another voice starts talking, this time a woman's. At least two people. I'm outnumber, spotted, exposed and very likely outgunned since I've only got my Blaze95. Sounds like a conversation. I poop myself as quietly as I can manage, then say "hello?". No answer. Keeping my head down I start moving to get out of the way as quickly as I can.

Conversation continues.  Another voice joins in. I've moved a good distance - should be out of voice range, but the voices continue. And the voices are in ... Danish? How the hell did I just walk into a three person conversation in my native Danish on a German server? And they're talking about ... opportunities? Sounds like fucking advertisement! I shift-tab out and see the last few seconds of an advertisement for a university fade in the steam browser.

I change my pants and continue north.

• Like 4

I didn't play mod that much so when SA came out I really had to actually learn the map. I did this using online map services like DayZDB and iZurvive. All this change does is make alt/shift-tabbing unnecessary.

Anyway, this should be the start of a true Hardcore mode. Hardcore mode should be realistic and unforgiving. You should expect to find skilled players in Hardcore mode because it requires skill.

Regular mode should be fun and accessible for new players.

its that dayzdb map site, the advert top-right sporadically erupts into a song and dance, often resulting in shitty pants this end. 

Edited by foxdie_01

Pardon the rookie question: is that an in-game map, and how do you access it?

I strongly believe an in-game map should be available only if you managed to find the relevant object (paper map), and in any case it should never tell you your position - let alone other players or zombies.

I strongly believe an in-game map should be available only if you managed to find the relevant object (paper map), and in any case it should never tell you your position - let alone other players or zombies.

Yeah in-game map. And yes, you have to find it!

Actually, in this game you have to put it together from map pieces. Good collector-project if you're bored.

I strongly believe an in-game map should be available only if you managed to find the relevant object (paper map),

That's exactly how the in-game map works.

I hoping they do a mistake because put player position on map is making game less like survive game I like dayz BECAUSE IS POSSIBLE GETTING LOST even with the map and compass is make evry travel BIG ADVENTURE when you don't know where is you are sometime and need to look the sun and read the sign what is say town name

• Like 1

I hoping they do a mistake 

It's obviously a mistake

• Like 1

and since when does another player HAVE to be highlighted as an enemy? how would the game know what other players intentions are?

It's not necessarily enemy, just something like "Man". In ArmA 2, even zombies used to sometimes come up as "Man" on the map.