kll4

Options to identify a body (Hide playername when checking pulse on Hardcore)

Hardcore is at the moment getting more and more different from Regular apart from just being able play in first person mode. Hardcore is getting much more focused on realism wich is quite convenient for people wich actually prefer realism over gameplay. (For example: http://www.dayztv.co...osition-on-map/; not on Hardcore as said in description.)

Reevealing a playername when checking his pulse is not realistic afterall and therefore shouldn't be able to be done on Hardcore. Instead the playername should just be replaced with "He/She" thus increasing realism and satisfying players preferring realistic gameplay.

Edited by kll4

In real life some people would have some form of identification on them - dog tags - drivers licence etc.

If your checking their pulse then surely you will check their identification tags etc so knowing who the person is wouldnt be detrimental to the game.

Would it really matter - this is a simulation of a situation that is based on fiction with some realism thrown in.

Edited by JohnDMarshall

How can I ever hope to carry out a vendetta against some Slip-Dik that took a shot at me if i don't know who the object of my wrath is? Besides that as Marshall said most people have some form of identification. 

• Like 1

In real life some people would have some form of identification on them - dog tags - drivers licence etc.

If your checking their pulse then surely you will check their identification tags etc so knowing who the person is wouldnt be detrimental to the game.

Would it really matter - this is a simulation of a situation that is based on fiction with some realism thrown in.

I agree with you. Only problem being: There are no dog tags or identification marks or cards in DayZ. There actually are pretty good suggestionon an ID-card being added into DayZ. But when there's nothing toidentify the player with, then it's just unrealistic identifying him by checking his pulse.

And of course it would matter because taking revenge or avenging someone wich you don't even have a name of is a bad in terms of game interactions to me. (For example you're trying to take revenge on the guys who just killed youb y being friendly to them at first but they identify you by your name.)

How can I ever hope to carry out a vendetta against some Slip-Dik that took a shot at me if i don't know who the object of my wrath is? Besides that as Marshall said most people have some form of identification. 

You could also just camp his corpse and wait for him to come back. ;) (If the body isn't more than 10min away from the spawn; and if, you'll probably never see the guy again anyway.)

Edited by kll4

Until they bring in some sort of ID (you know the card in real life, i suppose the survivors should have them to) or a Diary with the player's name, this (checking pulse) is a very good alternative.

Edited by Mark Darkers
  • Like 1

Until they bring in some sort of ID (you know the card in real life, i suppose the survivors should have them to) or a Diary with the player's name, this (checking pulse) is a very good alternative.

I disagree with you. The only option left excluding retreiving the playername by checking his/her pulse would be having the player tell them. This is the most realistic one and should be the only one.

I agree - as soon as we got enough faces to recognise a person by them. Right now its often the only way to tell people apart.

Edited by Evil Minion
  • Like 1

I agree - as soon as we got enough faces to recognise a person by them. Right now its often the only way to tell people apart.

This is the best argument I've seen... to check a pulse I need to touch you -- which likely involves seeing your face.  I think attaching a name to the face isn't far fetched at all for game play purposes.  Even if they add custom faces, at least two people (and probably many people) will still have the default face and thus you wouldn't be able to use that to identify them... in real life you could know them 'by their face' but in the game you have to make due with knowing them by name.

You could also just camp his corpse and wait for him to come back. ;) (If the body isn't more than 10min away from the spawn; and if, you'll probably never see the guy again anyway.)

Yes I know I've done that a number of times from a distance (the corpse is a honey pot). But if you intend to carry out a vendetta on other servers against the dude you'll need a player name just hit P and read down the list (as you know). If he is there just go to where you killed him before these clowns have their favorite haunts. But its a long shot that you'll find and nail the right guy and you wont know until after the subject has been 'pokerized'. But I have been successful a couple of times in taking it to other servers. Usually when I whack a bandit I just hide the corpse to make sure he won't recover anything if he makes it back in 10min and let it go at that. 

like you I like the survival and zombie aspects of the game more than wasteful PvP crap. Perhaps when zombies become a real threat the PvP action will slack off.    

• Like 1

I disagree with you. The only option left excluding retreiving the playername by checking his/her pulse would be having the player tell them. This is the most realistic one and should be the only one.

I disagree with you (again i guess). Think about it, in reality, if some one refuses to tell his/hers name, what do you do?(of course when in a power position). You check their body's for information to tell them, wristbands with names, ID cards, anything... Since none of those are implemented, checking blood could act as a double for checking the body (as for now). And who knows, maybe every single character in dayz has their name tattooed on their arms/wrists, that is a pretty common thing.

Hardcore is at the moment getting more and more different from Regular apart from just being able play in first person mode. Hardcore is getting much more focused on realism wich is quite convenient for people wich actually prefer realism over gameplay. (For example: http://www.dayztv.com/pic/dayz-0-47-yellow-marker-show-your-position-on-map/; not on Hardcore as said in description.)

Reevealing a playername when checking his pulse is not realistic afterall and therefore shouldn't be able to be done on Hardcore. Instead the playername should just be replaced with "He/She" thus increasing realism and satisfying players preferring realistic gameplay.

Edited by kll4

If every character had a different face I would agree.. But right now there is no other way to identify someone.
Maybe in the future when your able to customize your character a lil more.

There's no way they could get a custom face system so good that you would recognize people that well...

You'd only recognize people who have like specific scars and things, assuming you even got a look at their face if they killed you and you're out to get them...how do you know what their face even looks like?

They're probably going to be like "lel, n00b" in chat so you'll know their name, not their face.

Some kind of ID badge would be best imo, then collect them and have a list of victims or bandits.

Dog tags would be better, it seems fairly evident you have the skills of a soldier in the game so they should just state that as the "story" of your character and then add dog tags plus a keychain or something to keep them on.

Simple.

Kind of unbelievable that your ID card would stay in your pocket if you were out in the ocean, I guess.

• Like 1

I've improved my suggestion for the playername when checking pulse now only to be hidden on Hardcore.

Edited by kll4

You'd only recognize people who have like specific scars and things, assuming you even got a look at their face if they killed you and you're out to get them...how do you know what their face even looks like?

Thats also true in reality. If you don't know the face you will probably not recognise them anyways. Sure they won't get the system to a point where every two survivors will look different but its entirely possible to expand it so that for any two survivors the probability of them looking alike is very small. To the point where its reasonable to assume that the guy you just met is in fact the friendly one you encountered before and not an evil twin.

Name stays. I need to know who the unfortunate person is that accidentally tripped over my axe twenty times.

I see no reason to remove it and the arguments provided aren't exactly convincing.

Hardcore players prefer NOT to know whom they have been dealing with because it is more realistic? No one forces you to remember and/or read the name when you check for a pulse. Not only that, knowing the name does you very little good other than a "I have seen that guy before!" because they can change it at any point.

Knowing someone's name doesn't make the game any more difficult or realistic unless the guy happens to be Rimpelstiltskin, of course.

• Like 2

The probability of them looking alike is very small.

I very seriously doubt this... one big reason is that people will leave their stuff on default specifically to blend in with others - the other is that they don't seem to have any desire to make a customization system - Dean referenced it directly in the roadmap video and basically said it wasn't a priority.  If they do include customization, i'll bet it will be skin/eye/hair color and a couple of custom faces.  I wish you were right, and I wish they would make a system where everyone _spawns_ as a random looking person so you look different every time and you can't control it... but that will probably never happen.

Thats also true in reality. If you don't know the face you will probably not recognise them anyways. Sure they won't get the system to a point where every two survivors will look different but its entirely possible to expand it so that for any two survivors the probability of them looking alike is very small. To the point where its reasonable to assume that the guy you just met is in fact the friendly one you encountered before and not an evil twin.

As Rigor said, no system can create the kind of diversity real human faces have and you're not seeing them with your own eyes there's no way you can totally memorize it to your eyes it's not a persons face, you might memorize a few but not like you remember real peoples faces just naturally.

Plus most of the time you're probably going to be killed by people with bandana's and stuff now, bandits and KOS's are going to use them oh so much, those and gas masks.

I'd like to make my own face on it but it's never going to be a greatly useful feature.

Plus most of the time you're probably going to be killed by people with bandana's and stuff now, bandits and KOS's are going to use them oh so much, those and gas masks.

Which actually gives them a true practical purpose: hiding your face. As for default settings they should probably be randomized the first time you start the game. So people who just jump right into the game get a random survivor. So you might change your character if you want to but if you don't you still won't be a generic clone. I would actually keep the appearance on death (unless changed before you died) for gameplay reasons as you also keep your memories and some of your buddies.

Greatly useful... I don't know but it should have its uses. Of course its not priority unless you want some mechanics like growing hair etc. tied to it. Otherwise its just "adding more of the same" in terms of development (comparable to different color models for clothes).

Guys, i think you are discussing too much about identification methods here rather than hiding the playername when checking pulse on Hardcore.

Name stays. I need to know who the unfortunate person is that accidentally tripped over my axe twenty times.

I see no reason to remove it and the arguments provided aren't exactly convincing.

Hardcore players prefer NOT to know whom they have been dealing with because it is more realistic? No one forces you to remember and/or read the name when you check for a pulse. Not only that, knowing the name does you very little good other than a "I have seen that guy before!" because they can change it at any point.

Knowing someone's name doesn't make the game any more difficult or realistic unless the guy happens to be Rimpelstiltskin, of course.

As I said, Hardcore is in the future going to be for the more 'hardcore' players and therefore more realism. And identifying someone's name by checking his pulse is, as I said, not exactl realistic at all.

Right - at the very least it shouldn't be possible if the checked player is wearing a mask. And with more identification methods there might be no need for it at all. Then you could rely more on appearance as well as communication.

In fact getting the name might be a little too much because who can guess your name even if he looks at your face? It also gives away teams as some got tags before or after their name (which is their own fault though).

• Like 1

I've got the perfect idea for this:

If you check someone's pulse it says "This person looks like a 'name here'." UNLESS the person is wearing a mask, in which case 'name here' gets replaced with 'masked man/woman'.  This will add a reason to wear different types of masks.  You would also need an option to remove the mask though if you wanted to discover the person's name.

This makes sense b/c you obviously can't recognize ppl in game by their face, so you have to use a name instead of a face.

• Like 1

Guys, i think you are discussing too much about identification methods here rather than hiding the playername when checking pulse on Hardcore.

As I said, Hardcore is in the future going to be for the more 'hardcore' players and therefore more realism. And identifying someone's name by checking his pulse is, as I said, not exactl realistic at all.

This is such a nonissue. Are you seriously worried/annoyed about/by this feature? Seriously? I mean, REALLY?

Oh shit, the explanation is in your profile.

Signing off!

I've got the perfect idea for this:

If you check someone's pulse it says "This person looks like a 'name here'." UNLESS the person is wearing a mask, in which case 'name here' gets replaced with 'masked man/woman'.  This will add a reason to wear different types of masks.  You would also need an option to remove the mask though if you wanted to discover the person's name.

This makes sense b/c you obviously can't recognize ppl in game by their face, so you have to use a name instead of a face.

This is brilliant and a really good solution solution.

But maybe there should be a "Check face" option then apart from "Check pulse" wich would only give you "He/She has a ... pulse; is warm/cold to touch" if it's an unmasked person and "The person has a ... pulse; is warm/cold to touch" if it's a masked person.

And it would be even better if you'd only get to see the "This looks like ..." if you'd spent time with the person (including talking to each other)/had interactions with the person like feeding, bandaging, ... .

Just a minor enhancement would be an animation in wich you turn the person's body to the other side to check his/her face. (Unconscious/dead players' bodies are lying on the chest atm..)

Right - at the very least it shouldn't be possible if the checked player is wearing a mask. And with more identification methods there might be no need for it at all. Then you could rely more on appearance as well as communication.

In fact getting the name might be a little too much because who can guess your name even if he looks at your face? It also gives away teams as some got tags before or after their name (which is their own fault though).

I agree. Now that we're getting more and more types of faces for both male and female characters there might not be a need for it but only if the customization system will be getting really advanced.

Also the new faces would need to be really distinguishable from each other if we're not getting a full customization system like in Skyrim for example.

And I also agree with you in terms of the name being too much when only checking the face but until we're getting more customization options this would be the best solution.

In terms of tags, there should be a system to identify a tag and then just leave it out of the name you're getting when checking one's face.

This is such a nonissue. Are you seriously worried/annoyed about/by this feature? Seriously? I mean, REALLY?

Oh shit, the explanation is in your profile.

Signing off!

Well, it's an issue to me and I'm here to discuss about it. And if you're just here to talk nonsense then yes, please 'sign off'. 

Edited by kll4

What do you guys think of my ideas?