Sign in to follow this  
Chaingunfighter

Gold AKM for Loot Management System?

Now, before you throw a fit and yell; "THIS ISNT COD OR SOME FPS", just hear me out.

With the new loot management system coming at some point, any object the devs choose to limit will only be able to exist in the set quantity on any server. (although no word on how it will affect private hives exists, but I digress)

So, I was thinking, a good pioneer item for this new system would be;

An AKM with a gold plated metal parts

gold-plated-ak-47-owned-by-saddam-hussei

Those are some gold polished AK rifles (not sure if they're AKMs or AK47s) seized during the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

As ridiculous as having gold-plated weaponry is, it seems to be very popular among different guerrilla or militia leaders across the globe. Hell, even ArmA 2 had an easter egg AKMS with gold plating.

ArmA2GoldenAK-47.gif

Similar to the 1911 Engraved, the Gold-Plated AKM would function identically to the standard AKM (Fuck Far Cry 2's 100x durability AK) and could probably accept all of the parts and attachments (Tacticool Railed Gold AK with a Bipod anyone? Gibonez?)

There's nothing overpowered about having the Gold AK (in fact it would be more likely to expose you with its shiny colors) but it could be an awesome status symbol. I mean, being one of the 100 people in all of DayZ to have one would be pretty damn cool. It's not anything game changing like Thermal or NVG scopes, or DMRs, or GPMGs, or Rocket Launchers, etc, just a reskin of a pre-existing weapon. And they're very plausible for the game's setting.

Something like this would be a great way to enter into the new loot management system, so we could really see how well it plays out without adding major game altering items.

Opinions?

• Like 5

Insertbeforesomebodysaysitruinsrealism

Insertbeforesomebodysaysitruinsrealism

Funny thing is, it doesn't. These things are all over the place.

I mean, obviously in very small quantities, but even the lore of ArmA 2 places some golden AKMs in Chernarus. Just looking at a few pictures of weapons seized in Iraq/Afghanistan will reveal a few gold-plated AKMs

(Note to mods: Sorry, thought I was already in the suggestions forum)

I would not pick it up, it's to exposed when hiding in the bushes. Also my instant thought of some one carrying such a carelessly obvious visible weapon, is that it must be a douche looking for some action :)

Have you ever fired a gold plated weapon?

Much less, seen one fired?

It's a status symbol. They typically don't function well, if at all. Gold is not a functional metal. So, I think Call of Duty should continue to have the market cornered on blinged out weapons.

Edited by IronCross
  • Like 2

I don't like this idea as the idea of engraved colt (=/) - skulls and other stuff for young and "cool". For me Dayz release product shall be not about "end game", "military" gear, guillie shuit and "BIG sniper rifles!11 I want it, I want it, I want it!11". Because that's all just pixel crap. In this case we'll got tons of stupid players and streamers with one goal - loot airfield. Because everyone do the same stupid thing. That sucks BIG IMHO.

If all setting was in some type of caribbean, african or latin america country - sure. But not in Chernarus.

It's a status symbol. They typically don't function well, if at all. Gold is not a functional metal. So, I think Call of Duty should continue to have the market cornered on blinged out weapons.

I hope you're joking? Gold is not a functional metal? It's not MADE OF gold, it's GOLD PLATED, which means there's a very thin layer of gold applied to the exterior metal parts. It doesn't affect function in ANY way, well maybe except for concealment.

Edited by EchoZeero

I'm not against this. As you say, it wouldn't be an advantage - if anything it'd be a disadvantage - but it'd be a neat symbol of power. 

I am a little dubious about the whole persistent loot thing, though. Presumably all items have to respawn eventually, as there's nothing to stop somebody hording all the valuable items. Sure, it'd take a very long time, but there's no reason not to suppose that a clan could, in theory, go across many servers and horde engine parts and things. Of course it's possible that I don't actually understand the system and that this is some random tangent. 

I'm not against this. As you say, it wouldn't be an advantage - if anything it'd be a disadvantage - but it'd be a neat symbol of power. 

I am a little dubious about the whole persistent loot thing, though. Presumably all items have to respawn eventually, as there's nothing to stop somebody hording all the valuable items. Sure, it'd take a very long time, but there's no reason not to suppose that a clan could, in theory, go across many servers and horde engine parts and things. Of course it's possible that I don't actually understand the system and that this is some random tangent. 

That's true, but there's not a whole lot they'd gain from hoarding Golden AKMs. If anything, they're going to be very vulnerable, one, for carrying such a visible weapon, and two, for carrying such a rare item openly.

Either way, the devs seem to like the loot management system, so they'll have to iron it out. 100 is just an arbitrary number I gave, but obviously any set amount can be given to a managed item. I mean, if the number of engine parts were managed, it could be over 1,000, and I doubt a clan could hold on to that many. Sure, there would be people who have large quantities, but who knows? We haven't seen the system yet so how it will work out is yet to be told.

I don't like this idea as the idea of engraved colt (=/) - skulls and other stuff for young and "cool". For me Dayz release product shall be not about "end game", "military" gear, guillie shuit and "BIG sniper rifles!11 I want it, I want it, I want it!11". Because that's all just pixel crap. In this case we'll got tons of stupid players and streamers with one goal - loot airfield. Because everyone do the same stupid thing. That sucks BIG IMHO.

If all setting was in some type of caribbean, african or latin america country - sure. But not in Chernarus.

Pretty much anywhere you see guerrillas using older AKs you can find them, there's no real set location you'll see them. Those regions typically are the Middle East, Central America, or Africa, but Eastern Europe is definitely a good contender, especially considering many AK manufacturers are in Europe.

Either way, we already have a basic AKM, and these things would be regulated by the loot management system, meaning once all have spawned there'll be no "going to the airfield to get my golden AK", and it's not like you'll see one every single day. I honestly doubt a basic AK rifle is endgame content, even with a layer of gold covering the receiver, barrel, and other metal parts.

And yes, the major mindset of most players is always going to be to get the best stuff available. That's a fact of life, even if you removed all "high-end" gear, then all of the best stuff you have left would become the new high-end, and people would shoot for that.

If anything, the entire game is "just pixel crap", it doesn't matter whether you find pressing buttons on your keyboard to fish and scavenge, or pressing your right mouse button to shoot other players in PvP to be more fun.

It's no different than the engraved 1911, and I don't intend for it to be. It's just a rare item that would act as just that, a status symbol, meaning that you put time and effort into searching and looting, or you were lucky enough to kill someone who already had it.

Edited by Chaingunfighter

I hope you're joking? Gold is not a functional metal? It's not MADE OF gold, it's GOLD PLATED, which means there's a very thin layer of gold applied to the exterior metal parts. It doesn't affect function in ANY way, well maybe except for concealment.

Bahahaha.

Bahahaha.

What's funny about that? Are you implying that gold plating affects the gun in any other way than aesthetics? I think you have no clue what a gun plated firearm is, or you're just trolling.

Edited by EchoZeero

Bahahaha.

You lose.  you have no defence to him so you are just loling to try and make it look like you think he is funny.

Learn your guns and your metals.  Gold IS  a functional peice of metal we use it for more then bling.  Not it would not make a good gun but the gun isn't made of gold.  It has a very thin layer of gold on it.  

Edited by harley001

Harley your post is damn near incomprehensible.

Gold plating on a weapon is not easy to do for starters. Gold doesn't cleave to high quality steels that are used in rifle manufacture. Doesn't mean it is impossible, it means it is going to require a nickel coating for the gold to adhere to. Now we're not talking penny-thick, but it adds up. Modern weapons operate with millimeter clearance, or they don't cycle well, if at all. All of Saddam's guns and the ones found in Mexico were simply gold plated direct to the steel. Good luck.

So it's possible, but it aint recommended. There's also titanium nitride that looks like gold. A lot harder and can be applied in thinner coats.

Thanks for letting me in on the fact that a gold plated firearm isn't entirely made of the stuff   :rolleyes:

#goldPLATED

#justforlooks

#regularAKdippedingold

They actually work the same as regular AKs, the OUTSIDE of it is gold plated. Like paint. They fire, and are just as reliable. Its just got some fancy furniture. But dont believe me, Ive only held one of Saddams golden AKs.

Harley your post is damn near incomprehensible.

Gold plating on a weapon is not easy to do for starters. Gold doesn't cleave to high quality steels that are used in rifle manufacture. Doesn't mean it is impossible, it means it is going to require a nickel coating for the gold to adhere to. Now we're not talking penny-thick, but it adds up. Modern weapons operate with millimeter clearance, or they don't cycle well, if at all. All of Saddam's guns and the ones found in Mexico were simply gold plated direct to the steel. Good luck.

So it's possible, but it aint recommended. There's also titanium nitride that looks like gold. A lot harder and can be applied in thinner coats.

Thanks for letting me in on the fact that a gold plated firearm isn't entirely made of the stuff :rolleyes:

Harley actually made sense, not our fault your illiterate. Have you ever seen a fuckin AK? Definitely NOT high quality steel. Its meant to be cheap, quantity over quality. And golden AKs are special made, not by Leroy the big turban'd afghan.

You "bahahaha" at that post because your a dumbass whos already lost.

EDIT* Double post ftw

Edited by Owen.

I like this idea, I could see people damaging this weapon to try to dull the paint job and thus resort to mutilating their flashy piece. Also warlords and crime lords do this on a common  basis so it isn't too far fetched.

You think non-HQ steel even WORKS in a rifle? What exactly do you think is going on inside that chamber when the round goes off?  Congrats on getting your hands on Saddams AK. Glad it made you an expert. Gold plating on a rifle is just plain dumb. It does nothing for the rifle, and it sure as hell can hurt functionality. And it's more than just furniture, actual operable parts like the charging handle are typically done as well.  End of the day, it adds nothing, and can take away functionality.

Also when you call someone illiterate but then you mix up your and you're, well. Shit. Sucks to be that guy.

"Special made" huh? Helluva in depth description, considering I just described the process.

Leroy.. thats a common Afghan name, in the part of the country you've been to I guess  :thumbsup:

Edited by IronCross

You think non-HQ steel even WORKS in a rifle? What exactly do you think is going on inside that chamber when the round goes off?  Congrats on getting your hands on Saddams AK. Glad it made you an expert. Gold plating on a rifle is just plain dumb. It does nothing for the rifle, and it sure as hell can hurt functionality.

Also when you call someone illiterate but then you mix up your and you're, well. Shit. Sucks to be that guy.

"Special made" huh? Helluva in depth description, considering I just described the process.

Leroy.. thats a common Afghan name, in the part of the country you've been to I guess  :thumbsup:

Do you think those AK rifles were milled or stamped from solid gold or faked? Those examples were trophy guns from Iraq, not Afghanistan. There is at lease one captured example of a plated SVD as well. Plating guns in shiny metals/finish isn't uncommon. There are several examples on mass produced handguns. Also I doubt those trophy guns had gold bolts,carriers,firing pins,fire control groups and pistons. Furthermore we aren't arguing the functionality of these guns, only the possibility of their existence in Chernarus.

On another note, All AK variants in game should be able to be able to be spray painted like the Mosin Nagant.

EDIT: Look here is a very real Golden AK for sale in the US, California of all places:

http://www.armslist.com/posts/2283024/los-angeles-california-rifles-for-sale--ak47-gold-plated

Edited by Dale Gribble

Good Idea Chaingunfighter.

I will be adding the Golden AKM Suggestion to the Community's weapon thread.

• Like 1

Good Idea Chaingunfighter.

I will be adding the Golden AKM Suggestion to the Community's weapon thread.

Sweet, I was going to post this there, but I decided I could elaborate on how it could go hand in hand with the loot management system so I tied them both into one thread, but thank you.

On another note, All AK variants in game should be able to be able to be spray painted like the Mosin

So gold spray paint?

No. The spray paint in game should be able to change the color of an AK receiver.

You obviously didn't get it. It doesn't change thw metal just the cosmetic. The mosin isn't made out of green metal is it?