jameslennoxhood

More Horror and Gore Please!

Horror Should Mean Gore!  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Should This Game Have More Gore?

For me personally, DayZ is a:

Survival-game in a world after the apocalypse caused by Zeds.

It should be kept as "realistic" as possible.

No "ghosts" in the woods or sewers in the dark. Every action in-game (screaking doors, birds flying away suddenly) should have a real cause behind it.

If you want horror, go and play TheForest, Slenderman, etc.

I think horror should be when you're sitting there with a friend and you hear a supersonic crack, suddenly there is blood everywhere and your friend is missing the side of his head the bullet came back out.

Or when you hear the cracking of your leg as you're running from zombies, you roll onto your back and try to hack them away from your body with a machete. Hacking into their heads and necks as they take bites from your body.

If you aren't holding caps lock your character is letting out a massive scream with each bite.

That is horror, a gore filled end where you are helpless.

The scariest thing in a game for me has always been a horrible end, in Dead space one I was constantly anticipating a baby flying at me from nowhere and taking my last tiny bit of health.

• Like 2

Another idea - if anyone here ever played SLX mod for ARMA 2 - you would leave blood trails when wounded until you treat the wound. It wasnt a very progressive feature, basically it would be the same decal spawning under you wherever you go, and how many of these decals would spawn depended on how badly you were wounded. I think it would be awesome to implement something like this into DayZ.

• Like 2

Yeah more gore..specially killing Zombies, just doesn't feels right that an axe in the head don't make them even bleed...it feels like you hitting then with a toy weapon instead of a heavy, sharp, huge, massive AXE.

Nah, gore cheap.

What the game does need is atmosphere. Even something as simple as the sound of crows in the background would do this.

I would like to see more scattered blood and generally more visual (and maybe aural) signs of a apocalyptic world. Burning cars, burning buildings, boarded up windows etc.

Nah, gore cheap.

What the game does need is atmosphere. Even something as simple as the sound of crows in the background would do this.

Realistic bullet wounds and gore are part of that atmosphere .

The game currently feels a bit comical and too family friendly with the lack of blood decals or any sort of gore. I mean even console shooters have more gore and blood than dayz a game that is supposed to be intended for mature audiences.

Edited by gibonez

Dayz could definitely use a lot  more gore. Though knowing just how rigid everything is in a game that uses the arma engine, i can't imagine seeing too much of this..

But i'd really like infected to fall apart easier when shooting or hacking them. players as well of course. Nothing i'd like more than a blown open arm or face when shooting them. that alone adds quite a bit of horror to the game.

I'd rather see those entry and exit wounds than more gore like in Left 4 Dead 2. We don't really need that here in DayZ.

You're right. Only zombies have blood and skin. We should be happy with the fountain of blood in DayZ when someone gets shot and no other visual queues because those bullets are so hot they punch through torsos leaving cauterized wounds.

You're right. Only zombies have blood and skin. We should be happy with the fountain of blood in DayZ when someone gets shot and no other visual queues because those bullets are so hot they punch through torsos leaving cauterized wounds.

Maybe smaller rounds, big rounds will leave a exit wound much larger than the calibre won't they?

Maybe smaller rounds, big rounds will leave a exit wound much larger than the calibre won't they?

Was a joke, bullets will not cauterize a wound shut.

Full sized rifle cartridges like 7.62x54r when overpenetrating will leave quite a noticeable exit wound.

Even small calibre rounds will make quite a wound. A piece of metal tearing through a body is still a piece of metal. Especially when something has mushroomed and rips as it goes.

Was a joke, bullets will not cauterize a wound shut.

Full sized rifle cartridges like 7.62x54r when overpenetrating will leave quite a noticeable exit wound.

Even small calibre rounds will make quite a wound. A piece of metal tearing through a body is still a piece of metal. Especially when something has mushroomed and rips as it goes.

I could imagine a small fast round like 5.56x45 leaving a clean hole through somebody.

Was unsure about cauterise bit because heat has to be there about a second before anything starts burning, but I knew that bigger fast rounds will leave gaping exit wounds which allow for massive amounts of bleeding and often very often kills with hits to the limbs.

Edited by AP_Norris

I could imagine a small fast round like 5.56x45 leaving a clean hole through somebody.

Was unsure about cauterise bit because heat has to be there about a second before anything starts burning, but I knew that bigger fast rounds will leave gaping exit wounds which allow for massive amounts of bleeding and often very often kills with hits to the limbs.

The dying part doesn't happen because there's a hole punched in someone, the dying happens when whatever surrounded the bullet's path goes through such a violent trauma.

People dying from getting hit in the limb is probably going to be because of that trauma severing an artery. Wow does that ever upset me when someone says shooting to wound in the leg is a viable thing.

I'm not a big fan of music since i get goosebumps every time i hear a sound and rocket said they didnt want any randomly generated events.

Music not realy being one i still think having some sort of sound filter just like when you get really scared in real life and your brain only focusses on a few important sounds, it did hapen to me a little during gunfights or random shootings  but i still feel it could be improved.

Although some music might be nice if it was really well implemented and not feel blunt like everything kind of is at the moment.

I could see myself and a similarsituation to what you described and having a friend rescuing me, shooting the zombies behind the door and seeing blood flowing under the door (a little bit of gore wouldnt hurt) and as the door opens a zombie collapses in front of me and you would make out a tear flowing from his mutilated face, his last bit of humanity at the very end (although im not sure it is feasable with the current engine).

A fine balance between gore, adrenaline( i dont really know how to call it) and sound effect could reallly improve the role playing aspect of the game.

God i cant wait for mod support !

I belive that would be panic, or something like that. Sound really helps to create general panic! Gore too, imagine a zombie destroying your skin with his nails, open wounds and blood everywere while your char screams in pain. Dayz mod had an optional ost, in standalone could be optional to have a dynamic ost that, you know, helps with atmosphere, panic and all that (this is a game after all), the graphics by themselfs are not nearly enough. It would have to be much better for that (see interiors).

Just some well made wounds for melee/zombie/shots and blood effects would be great imo, the dynamic music idk if its a good idea. I guess people don't want that, thou if well made it could add a lot to the game imo.

Edited by Avant-Garde
  • Like 1

We also need to remove the messages that keep popping up for our character

Honestly, i feel like i am playing as a 5 year old in the middle of a Apocalypse (I'm hot, I'm cold, I'm Hungry, I'm thirsty, I'm sick... etc)

I am all for game gore, don't get me wrong, but i don't want to see it take the path of well... here watch this video of Farcry 2 for example of healing.. (some of them are acceptable and i would love to see a system like this in Dayz, but let it be part of the healing process, not the entire one, but some of these healing animations do not make any sense at all):

For example say in Dayz you have some sort of explosion ahead of you and a piece of debris embeds itself in your arm (lets use a sharp stick for example), your character removes the stick using some sort of animation, however, they then must treat the hole left behind by the stick and since it would be a puncture wound, it would begin to bleed a lot (also depends on the area the object hit).  

Edited by AlexeiStukov

I am all for game gore, don't get me wrong, but i don't want to see it take the path of well... here watch this video of Farcry 2 for example of healing.. (some of them are acceptable and i would love to see a system like this in Dayz, but let it be part of the healing process, not the entire one, but some of these healing animations do not make any sense at all):

For example say in Dayz you have some sort of explosion ahead of you and a piece of debris embeds itself in your arm (lets use a sharp stick for example), your character removes the stick using some sort of animation, however, they then must treat the hole left behind by the stick and since it would be a puncture wound, it would begin to bleed a lot (also depends on the area the object hit).  

Far Cry 2-3 bullets pulling out shouldn't be an example for DayZ. Got shot in the chest? Just pull the bullet out of the arm. I`d just rather have a general "healing animation" and the wound stay bloody until you change clothes or something.

Edited by ValentinBk

I would like to see severed limbs at some point.

But I think most of all I want is blood splats on the ground and walls from players being wounded, I think would be the best first step for more horror immersion. No not big over the top ones just... something

Like the chaps above discuss that they are not too fussed and prefer the more survival means of the game, I kinda want it all like a little kid.. Defs more gore even if its just the blood splats or trail of blood from bleeding character.

Edited by liquidcactus

Far Cry 2-3 bullets pulling out shouldn't be an example for DayZ. Got shot in the chest? Just pull the bullet out of the arm. I`d just rather have a general "healing animation" and the wound stay bloody until you change clothes or something.

You are missing my point entirely and its obvious you did not read my response entirely. You just watched the videos.

My point is to include these animations, but to make them trigger when a certain area of the body is damaged by a certain force or object.

I'm not saying pull your tooth out if you get run over by a vehicle. I'm saying add the realism to the game. Read my example again that I posted originally.

Think of it, we could boost the horror element of the game is screaming and panic is added to the character.

I mean honestly, how would you respond in real life of you looked down and saw half your right leg split open and blood is gushing out onto the surface you are laying on?

Read carefully next time

Treatment of the wound would come after the object Is removed from the body. Or you could leave the object in your body to prevent bleeding out (say an arrow if your thigh and it hits your artery)

You are missing my point entirely and its obvious you did not read my response entirely. You just watched the videos.

My point is to include these animations, but to make them trigger when a certain area of the body is damaged by a certain force or object.

I'm not saying pull your tooth out if you get run over by a vehicle. I'm saying add the realism to the game. Read my example again that I posted originally.

Think of it, we could boost the horror element of the game is screaming and panic is added to the character.

I mean honestly, how would you respond in real life of you looked down and saw half your right leg split open and blood is gushing out onto the surface you are laying on?

Read carefully next time

It does sound pretty awesome, but its so complex I just don't see them doing it right. Right now visual damage model is pretty much non-existent.  I would however, be happy if it suddenly became a priority and we'd get the amount of detail you are talking about.

Edited by ValentinBk

Treatment of the wound would come after the object Is removed from the body. Or you could leave the object in your body to prevent bleeding out (say an arrow if your thigh and it hits your artery)

I've been wanting a healing system exactly like this!

Cuts and bullet wounds should require a process Clean/remove shrapnel>disinfect>sew>bandage. You could do temporary quick fixes like wrapping a bandage and or belt/tie around it just to get you out of the shit but proper medical treatment should be next and neglecting it should mean illness/death.

You would need tools for healing.

knives - Hunting knife>Stanley blade>Scalpel

Sewing kit (used to sew up wounds)

High concentrate alcohol - whisky/vodka>medical grade (used to disinfect wounds and tools)

Pliers - Pliers>needle nose pliers>medical pliers (Used to remove shrapnel)

Painkillers - Paracetemol>Ibuprophen>Morphine. (used to reduce pain/shock effects)

Gag - Stick>leather (Used to reduce noise)

Trying to do these procedures on your own should be risky, trying to do it with the wrong tools and no medication should be near certain death. There should be risks of passing out from blood loss and pain.

I like the idea of time based healing but I don't think it's practical in game, so it should be process based healing. And it can all be done without any specific graphics like those in farcry. Though it could be done that way too, consider the inventory system, where you can see items and rotate them (you can do that right?) you could do that with the specific injury and inspect it. Your body would be a series of items that you have to keep in shape.