jameslennoxhood

More Horror and Gore Please!

Horror Should Mean Gore!  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Should This Game Have More Gore?

For a game that is striving to be a realistic survival horror simulator wouldn't it be appropriate to have gore in game? I mean right now we don't even have blood. I'm talking about realistic amounts of blood, realistic decapitations from 7.62 round hits, grenades and IED's that tear people in half . I want to see Zombies that can be chopped up and that don't de-spawn as fast so people would see the devastation that went before them.

I genuinely feel these things would definitely add to the overall immersion of the game. 

I would love this game to add more horror to this game and i believe that more gore could add so much more to this game.

Would you like to see more horror and gore in this game?

• Like 4

Honestly- no not really. I'm more oriented towards the "survival" aspect then the "horror" aspect, but that's just me. No reason to go and get the game banned in Australia over this.

• Like 6

No reason to go and get the game banned in Australia over this.

I'm sorry for Australians if the game would be banned there but we can't follow the rules of only one country... It is by doing so that every fucking thing get forbidden and banned everywhere in our fucking occidental countries for moral hypocrisy...

"We train young men to drop fire on people, but their commanders won't allow them to write "fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!"

Colonel Kurtz in Apocalypse Now.

• Like 1

I think DayZ is a survival game as Pvt_Larry says. For myself, I find the "=wham=black screen=you are dead=" really horrible, more shocking and realistic than any film-cut sequence of someone falling down in a hail of bullets etc.. This is the only game that ever gave me even a tiny impression that I just actually got killed.. other games you know really the 'death sequence' just means "start the level again"

Same for the rest of the game. other player blood and gore is not necessary to understand what is happening, you see a blood spash from a hit.

Your own blood and gore comes in the form of a message "I feel blood dripping.." and in the game, that is enough to freak you out, isn't it?.. it scares me, for sure..

As a visual effect it doesn't change the gameplay at all. Also, to improve visual effects there are whole areas and themes that are being worked on now, and others that could be worked on. e.g. the look and the variety of zombies is going to improve, I'm sure. Player animations will be advanced.

Really "blood and gore" does not equal "scariness". In this game hearing a bullet go past your head is "scary" ..or hearing a zombie run up behind you.

If you want "frightning" - go on a server at night without turning up your gamma (play FAIR) and see what you can loot in town with just a hand torch. The first zombie that turns up out of the dark you will scream aloud at home in front of your keyboard.

Also turn off the music, the game is more scary when you can hear what is going on.

IMO

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1

For me personally, DayZ is a:

Survival-game in a world after the apocalypse caused by Zeds.

It should be kept as "realistic" as possible.

No "ghosts" in the woods or sewers in the dark. Every action in-game (screaking doors, birds flying away suddenly) should have a real cause behind it.

If you want horror, go and play TheForest, Slenderman, etc.

Edited by irishroy
  • Like 1

Sounds like lag

Sounds like someone who doesnt have a clue what can be clientside and still write something coz.. why the hell you even put fingers on keyboard in this case?

realistic decapitations from 7.62 round hits

Oh you. A head will be ripped up a bit, but it won't take it clean off.

I would like to see exit wounds or damage shown on people though.

• Like 1

For a game that is striving to be a realistic survival horror simulator wouldn't it be appropriate to have gore in game? I mean right now we don't even have blood. I'm talking about realistic amounts of blood, realistic decapitations from 7.62 round hits, grenades and IED's that tear people in half . I want to see Zombies that can be chopped up and that don't de-spawn as fast so people would see the devastation that went before them.

I genuinely feel these things would definitely add to the overall immersion of the game.

I would love this game to add more horror to this game and i believe that more gore could add so much more to this game.

Would you like to see more horror and gore in this game?

7.62 cant decapitate. Unless you slice the pie on their neck. Dont tell me, you were ex Special Ranger Seal Team Delta and have personally decapitated over 1000000 people with 7.62? One shot, no. Not at all possible. Dont damn quote Hollywood either. A .50 BMG, yeah will decapitate you, but its also a round that can quite literally cut you in half. A .338 may do it, depending on luck and circumstances.

Honestly- no not really. I'm more oriented towards the "survival" aspect then the "horror" aspect, but that's just me. No reason to go and get the game banned in Australia over this.

Sounds like australia's problem :D

• Like 1

Sounds like australia's problem :D

hey screw you man. We give the world good games, don't take the game we paid for away.

Also Rocket's home region is in this area too and I'm pretty sure NZ laws are similar to ours.

But I do think that we can up the gore a little and get away with it. We don't need much more, but exit wounds would be nice. In the interests of realism.

1+ for people who think zombie roar, like a cat and dog fighting

I think DayZ is a survival game as Pvt_Larry says. For myself, I find the "=wham=black screen=you are dead=" really horrible, more shocking and realistic than any film-cut sequence of someone falling down in a hail of bullets etc.. This is the only game that ever gave me even a tiny impression that I just actually got killed.. other games you know really the 'death sequence' just means "start the level again"

Same for the rest of the game. other player blood and gore is not necessary to understand what is happening, you see a blood spash from a hit.

Your own blood and gore comes in the form of a message "I feel blood dripping.." and in the game, that is enough to freak you out, isn't it?.. it scares me, for sure..

As a visual effect it doesn't change the gameplay at all. Also, to improve visual effects there are whole areas and themes that are being worked on now, and others that could be worked on. e.g. the look and the variety of zombies is going to improve, I'm sure. Player animations will be advanced.

Really "blood and gore" does not equal "scariness". In this game hearing a bullet go past your head is "scary" ..or hearing a zombie run up behind you.

If you want "frightning" - go on a server at night without turning up your gamma (play FAIR) and see what you can loot in town with just a hand torch. The first zombie that turns up out of the dark you will scream aloud at home in front of your keyboard.

Also turn off the music, the game is more scary when you can hear what is going on.

IMO

I disagree. I think a certain level of blood and gore could change things dramatically. Imagine the impact it could have when the player you have just been teamed up with over the past 2-3 hours gets his brains blown out in front of you and the blood and chunks hits your screen. I think the impact that would have you would be much greater than what it is now, a payer falling rather unrealistically(currently terrible ragdoll) into a ragdoll.

I think audio is an area that can boost the feelings you have for other players as well, blood curdling screams. There is way too much silence in this game, especially in situations where players are taking damage. I want to better feel the pain my character or the character I am attacking is going through. I can almost guarantee that you're going to feel a little different about hacking that person up if there is some proper audio and gore to go along with it.

Not the greatest SFX reel, but you get the point. I'm sure there would be a % of the community that would go against your character having a voice beyond the one you use when talking into your mic, but I believe it is needed. People just are't going to role play to the extent of pretending they are in pain so that pain needs to be represented by more than just visuals.

• Like 1

Couldn't agree more Mr. Jubeidok, this game needs some gore. Every game that has realism and death needs to have gore, it's a reality-check. Nothing breaks more my imersion then hitting someone with a fireaxe/pikeaxe on his hindhead just to see that really, really stupid a.r.m.a blood effect.

I belive that a Manhunt kind of gore (were an axe to the head would open it, and a high caliber shot to the face would blow half of it) would do great for this game. No need for mutilations I think, just this sort of realistic gore wounds.

I dont think gore like in common horror or zombie games would work in dayz but id rather see the devs trying to take an other shot at the "social experiment" thing like when the alpha came out and people where like "dayz make people act like psychopaths".

I remember this hitler movie (downfall i think was the name name) where the first suicide was when you expect it the least. I think dayz needs to aim at the disturbing aspects of gore and not really on the graphical nature of it. Maybe one way of doing so would be like one of you said implemening screams, you could then add facial expressions on the corpses or play an animation where you'd swipe off your sweat from your face constantly after murdering someone or losing a friend (wich could be determined maybe by the amount time your partner was in your line of sight and how you interacted, like if your playing with a friend you'd evently have his caracter on your screen for more than an hour and if its a foe you hardly see him for more than a minute), sounds such as heart beats and your ear buzzing or the shot echoing in your head would also be nice to have.

It isnt really gore but more of a"press button for adrenaline rush" mechanism that i wish to see.

what do you think?

• Like 1

I dont think gore like in common horror or zombie games would work in dayz but id rather see the devs trying to take an other shot at the "social experiment" thing like when the alpha came out and people where like "dayz make people act like psychopaths".

I remember this hitler movie (downfall i think was the name name) where the first suicide was when you expect it the least. I think dayz needs to aim at the disturbing aspects of gore and not really on the graphical nature of it. Maybe one way of doing so would be like one of you said implemening screams, you could then add facial expressions on the corpses or play an animation where you'd swipe off your sweat from your face constantly after murdering someone or losing a friend (wich could be determined maybe by the amount time your partner was in your line of sight and how you interacted, like if your playing with a friend you'd evently have his caracter on your screen for more than an hour and if its a foe you hardly see him for more than a minute), sounds such as heart beats and your ear buzzing or the shot echoing in your head would also be nice to have.

It isnt really gore but more of a"press button for adrenaline rush" mechanism that i wish to see.

what do you think?

I like this too, very nice imo. You know what I would like to see in said panic moments, some hardcore wierd ass "music" like what we have in Silent Hill games when you encounter those fucked up things that scare the hell out of the players. Imagine you running away from like 6 zombies and finding shelter in a house (lets imagine zombies would not phase through walls lol), you lock the doors and hear their agony scream, they start bangin their heads on the walls and doors while the game puts an ost like this playing since you start running from them:

I think that dynamic ost based on your player psychic stattus would be great for the horror element in this game. Imagine something like this plays also when you are beating someone to death with an melee weapon, or when you are being tortured lol

Edited by Avant-Garde
  • Like 1

You know what I would like to see in said panic moments, some hardcore wierd ass "music" like what we have in Silent Hill games when you encounter those fucked up things that scare the hell out of the players.

I'm not a big fan of music since i get goosebumps every time i hear a sound and rocket said they didnt want any randomly generated events.

Music not realy being one i still think having some sort of sound filter just like when you get really scared in real life and your brain only focusses on a few important sounds, it did hapen to me a little during gunfights or random shootings  but i still feel it could be improved.

Although some music might be nice if it was really well implemented and not feel blunt like everything kind of is at the moment.

I could see myself and a similarsituation to what you described and having a friend rescuing me, shooting the zombies behind the door and seeing blood flowing under the door (a little bit of gore wouldnt hurt) and as the door opens a zombie collapses in front of me and you would make out a tear flowing from his mutilated face, his last bit of humanity at the very end (although im not sure it is feasable with the current engine).

A fine balance between gore, adrenaline( i dont really know how to call it) and sound effect could reallly improve the role playing aspect of the game.

God i cant wait for mod support !

• Like 1

Bullet wounds are enough for me. A cheap, Left 4 Dead 2 style dismemberment system would be cool, but I'm not too fussed. As people say, DayZ would likely be banned in Australia if particularly graphic gore made it into the game, so simple entry and exit wounds is fine. 

I'd also like to see that blood fountain effect removed. I'm sure it's just a placeholder, but eugh. I'd rather see clothing get soaked in blood, but have that effect fade over a course of an hour or so, otherwise everyone will look like Carrie after going to NWAF and back.

Yes! Blood and Gore is essential in a zombie genre game!

Realism is important of course, But fun too! So i'm looking forward to get my hands on a damn chainsaw, harrrrrr!!!!!

(And it would be cool for the gameplay to leave puddles of blood after an fight, so that other players may be warned that its more or less fresh blood on the floor)

Edited by BerZerK_SR

It doesnt has to be something over the top, but I do think bullet wounds, blood stains on the ground (from bleeding and stuff) and some basic gore would be great in DAYZ

I don't know that more gore is needed, as others have said. I could see entry and exit wounds but what this game actually needs is better sound effects. Not music, but screams of pain, heartbeats pounding in the ears, the kind of stuff that says "i'm alive and terrified or in pain".

The part of the game that is scary is how at just any momment I could be seeing that black screen. Might just be wandering around and then BLAM: dead. I jump every time.

• Like 1

If I think about it further - dismemberment does not has to mean insta-death. It could be a beginning of a count down - lets say you cant bandage a dismembered limb, but maybe you could still fight for 1-2 minutes until you black out and eventually die.

hey screw you man. We give the world good games, don't take the game we paid for away.

Also Rocket's home region is in this area too and I'm pretty sure NZ laws are similar to ours.

But I do think that we can up the gore a little and get away with it. We don't need much more, but exit wounds would be nice. In the interests of realism.

I think we have similar pricing, but we still have access to games like L4D and stuff which I thought were banned in Australia.