omgwtfbbq (DayZ)

Vehicles and physics! How would you like to see them integrated?

Vehicles will one day be implemented into DayZ. As far as physics, how would you like to see them implemented? By this I am questioning how your idea of vehicle physics will affect gameplay/functionality. Personally, though it will likely never happen due to engine limitations, since DayZ is going for realism, I'd love to see physics along the lines of BeamNG. Physics such as these would encourage players to drive carefully, and feel the consequences of the smallest mistake. It'd also be interesting to see a mangled car with bodies inside at the bottom of a cliff. However, probably due to engine limitations and copyright problems and all kinds of other things, it would never work. EDIT: Then again, BeamNG only slows when there's a lot of cars. In DayZ, multiple cars is a rarity, so hey, it might not be too far-fetched.

But I can dream. 

How advanced/simple would you like the vehicle physics to be?

Edited by omgwtfbbq

I doubt they would do that, unless they make the engine /extremely/ powerful. They will probably have something like the DayZ MOD

• Like 2

I doubt they would do that, unless they make the engine /extremely/ powerful. They will probably have something like the DayZ MOD

Dayz mod with better car handling physics atleast i hope. It would be nice to have some degree of damage modeling in both appearance and handling but i guess we will see what happens.

PS the beamNG looks pretty cool i have played next car game and it is similar but not as realistic detailed as that lol.

Um, I hope they fix the extreme basics first...

Like no car being able to go much faster than 120 km/h without scripts due to an engine limitation...

Or the crazy acceleration...

Or the crazy braking...

Or the crazy handling...

Or the insane fuel consumption...

Or the off-road terrain ("sticky grass")...

I tested in ARMA 2 some cars, lost most of my notes but here is some of the wackiness

1977 GAZ Volga (94 hp) was tested with the following results:

Top speed = 104 km/h (65 mph, real life: 145 km/h)

Roadholding, g = in excess of 2.5 (...)

Braking 60-0 mph = 206 ft (equal to 2012 McLaren MP4-12C, 2013 Nissan GT-R)

ARMA 2 1977-1981 Skoda 105L had the following in-game characteristics:

Acceleration, 0-50 mph = 4.7 s (1.1 s faster than '73 GS455)

Minimum fuel consumption, 2.1 mpg (112 l/100km) (real life: 7.5 l/100km, 31 mpg)

In real life this car has only 45 hp and takes 29 seconds to go 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph)!

There's a lot of room for improvement...

• Like 3

Although I know its impossible I would love this.

While no deformation of course I would love realistic slow off road speeds and the heavy damage that comes to vehicles that try to off road with weak axles .

• Like 1

I want the driving from FarCry3...

It probably wouldn't really fit DayZ, but it's fun!

• Like 2

soft body dynamics in DayZ? as much as i'd love it, never gonna happen.

still, one can dream that they implement some middleware like APEX or Shroud further down the line, not only for cars but for clothing also

p.s.: i am aware that soft-body physics are as well possible with the currently used physics engine, Bullet, and Bullet is fast and open.. i just couldnt find any good showcase of it implementing soft-body dynamics, and i wonder why.

Edited by e47

Whatever physics they implement, I'd just want it to be simple. I don't really need anything fancy. Just something that allows players to actually jack the vehicles up, something that allows vehicles to stay put when you get out of them, and something that doesn't have the vehicles feeling like they're just floating over a road.

However, I do think that they need to tweak several things about vehicles.

1. What I like to call, the "insta-charcoal" effect. When your vehicle reaches 100% damage, say from hitting a tree, it shouldn't automatically and always burst into flames (see Family Guy exploding carriage and horse).

2. The off-road capabilities of most vehicles need to be tweaked. While I don't want humble sedans being able to tear it up at 100 mph in a forest (like was the case with Nissan 350z's in some of the mods), I also don't want them to be slowed down to a snail's pace. Likewise, dedicated or modified off-road vehicles should have an advantage off-road. I want to see roads be actually advantageous for the majority of vehicles, and therefore, forcing people into tense bottlenecks.

3. The noise generated by vehicles needs to be tweaked. Cars are entirely too loud, I can hear them from quite a ways away.

4. They need to be less janky to enter/exit. I absolutely hated in the mod, how you were just cast out to the wolves when you had to get out of your vehicle quickly. Doors need to actually open to provide a middling amount of cover when exiting/entering. That and fixed animations, rather than teleporting, would be good to include as well.

5. Parts need to be non-generic. This needs to happen in my opinion. I don't want generic tires fitting on everything from a Ural to a bicycle. Could either be vehicle-specific (i.e. Mountain Bike tires, Hilux Tires, GAZ tires, etc.) or it could be based on the type of vehicle (i.e. bicycle tires, motorcycle tires, sedan tires, truck tires, etc.) Same goes for other parts.

6. Repairing needs to be less instantaneous, and needs to be made into a process. Instead of just clicking "X to repair Engine" you should actually have to diagnose the issue with your vehicle, find the appropriate parts, and actually... I don't know... jack the vehicle up... remove a tire... and then torque down the individual nuts on a tire or somesuch.

7. Fuel supplies need to be limited, to a degree. Unsure of how to approach this, but perhaps there's something to be said about the new "loot management" system in being able to appropriate it for regulating things like fuel on a server.

8. More camouflage options. One of chief issues with vehicles in the mod, was how easy they were to spot. Short of tweaking the rendering in-game, the only solution I can think of is adding more camouflage options. Actually being able to cut bits of bushes off and sticking them to your vehicle would be great.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

1. What I like to call, the "insta-charcoal" effect. When your vehicle reaches 100% damage, say from hitting a tree, it shouldn't automatically and always burst into flames (see Family Guy exploding carriage and horse).

Yes, exploding cars and gas stations need to go. It's cool looking but I feel like I am in Holywood movie.

2. The off-road capabilities of most vehicles need to be tweaked. While I don't want humble sedans being able to tear it up at 100 mph in a forest (like was the case with Nissan 350z's in some of the mods), I also don't want them to be slowed down to a snail's pace. Likewise, dedicated or modified off-road vehicles should have an advantage off-road. I want to see roads be actually advantageous for the majority of vehicles, and therefore, forcing people into tense bottlenecks.

The forests in the game are so flat, it would be cool if something would be done about it. Not only limited cars speed in forests but players sprinting in forests should be extremly limited too.

3. The noise generated by vehicles needs to be tweaked. Cars are entirely too loud, I can hear them from quite a ways away.

Actually the noise generated by cars is fine. In 2nd world country without big city loud noises you can hear car engine from pretty far away. This one is realistic.

4. They need to be less janky to enter/exit. I absolutely hated in the mod, how you were just cast out to the wolves when you had to get out of your vehicle quickly. Doors need to actually open to provide a middling amount of cover when exiting/entering. That and fixed animations, rather than teleporting, would be good to include as well.

I find it so funny that getting on and off the ladder is taken to absurd realistic levels and when it comes to entering vehicles our characters are like:

7. Fuel supplies need to be limited, to a degree. Unsure of how to approach this, but perhaps there's something to be said about the new "loot management" system in being able to appropriate it for regulating things like fuel on a server.

You can't refuel helicopter on your local gas station? :D

8. More camouflage options. One of chief issues with vehicles in the mod, was how easy they were to spot. Short of tweaking the rendering in-game, the only solution I can think of is adding more camouflage options. Actually being able to cut bits of bushes off and sticking them to your vehicle would be great.

Vechicles are only easy to spot from heli. Heli OP pls nerf.

But there is already thread about heli.

1. The forests in the game are so flat, it would be cool if something would be done about it. Not only limited cars speed in forests but players sprinting in forests should be extremly limited too.

2. Actually the noise generated by cars is fine. In 2nd world country without big city loud noises you can hear car engine from pretty far away. This one is realistic.

3. Vechicles are only easy to spot from heli. Heli OP pls nerf.

1. For one, most of the forests have changed markedly from the mod. With the exception of the western border, the forests have all changed and been made more variable. They're no longer all flat colonnades with no underbrush. Granted, I agree, I'd love to see some more variant forests. But I don't think player speed should be limited in forests. However, I do think there should be a chance for some audible noise to be made when you're sprinting through the forest (branches cracking, birds fluttering away, etc.)

2. I disagree. I live in a rural area. Modern cars just aren't that audible, and haven't been for a while. They're incredibly quiet un-modified. I mean, short of having everyone putting around in an old Alfa Romeo, I don't feel that cars should be overly loud. Likewise, I don't think they warrant being loud anyhow. They're already incredibly visible and don't need any additional signatures to be reasonably detected. The way DayZ renders sound is also a problem, in that it appears to be a stepped radius rather than an actual gradual amplification.

3. I agree that vehicles were too easy to spot from helicopters. But they were also too easy to spot from the ground. I mean, you physically cannot hide a bright white Toyota Hilux against the background of fluffy green trees. It sticks out like a sore thumb lit on fire.

In my opinion, helicopters themselves don't need a nerf (other than being made consequential to operate/repair/utilize effectively), but the act of hiding something needs to be made better.

Modern cars just aren't that audible

But Chernorus cars aren't modern :D They are made in 198X / 197X mostly so they are 20-30 years old.

• Like 1

But Chernorus cars aren't modern :D They are made in 198X / 197X mostly so they are 20-30 years old.

We don't know which cars will be added. They can add any cars they wish to add, and given that DayZ clearly takes place post-2009, I don't doubt that we'll be seeing some newer vehicles.

In DayZ mod, there was a mix of different cars. Like there was an early-2000's Toyota Hilux/Tacoma.

The point is that, regardless of the make/year of the car, the audible exhaust note broadcasted the same distance. So one could hear it just as well.

We don't know which cars will be added. They can add any cars they wish to add, and given that DayZ clearly takes place post-2009, I don't doubt that we'll be seeing some newer vehicles.

In DayZ mod, there was a mix of different cars. Like there was an early-2000's Toyota Hilux/Tacoma.

The point is that, regardless of the make/year of the car, the audible exhaust note broadcasted the same distance. So one could hear it just as well.

It will be pretty funny to see modern cars around villages that don't even have Xbox/PS4 consoles in them and  people there are using outhouses mostly :D (because no canalization or sewers system).

Edited by Frosti

I just want a bicycle. That is all. Don't care for choppers or other things but barricading and having a quiet stealthy bike.

I want to ride through Novo like....

CLOT03478_d1_.jpg

Edited by haknslash
  • Like 1

It will be pretty funny to see modern cars around villages

Lest we forget, that there are cities all over the place in Chernarus (Elektrozavodsk, Chernogorsk, Svetlojarsk, Berezino, etc.). Likewise, these aren't even the biggest cities in the country of Chernarus (see Novigrad). And we certainly can't forget the medium-sized towns which I'm sure would be no stranger to a 20 year old vehicle.

I see no reason why cars made in the last 20 years (1994-2014) shouldn't be included in DayZ.

Edited by Katana67

I just want a bicycle. That is all. Don't care for choppers or other things but barricading and having a quiet stealthy bike.

I want to ride through Novo like....

CLOT03478_d1_.jpg

I would also love to have tons of bicycles (bunches of them near certain parts of cities), but the mod version's way of handling bikes was awful. We need a BMX simulator or something.

Yes, exploding cars and gas stations need to go. It's cool looking but I feel like I am in Holywood movie.

I'm all for exploding gas stations as its 100% more likely than an exploding car

Edited by DeatHTaX
  • Like 1

need a bicycle ASAP. Make it so after pedaling for a while and going down hill you can really get going. I plan on riding past novo tower like this

That's another thing, riding a bicycle needs to tire you out this time around. A significant imbalance in the bicycles in the mod, was that they were essentially just fuel-less motorcycles.

Sure your avatar's legs wobbled about as if he/she was pedaling, but you're not expending any energy no matter how hard you're pedaling or how fast you're going. In fact, I'm pretty sure that you don't lose any additional hunger/thirst (by comparison to motorized vehicles) whilst on a bike in the mod.

That and you shouldn't just be able to hop off the bike and have a 100% steady sight picture.

• Like 2

I'm all for exploding gas stations as its 100% more likely than an exploding car

Yeah alright but..

Gas stations exploding like mini atom bombs are pure Holywood fiction. Gas station will not explode if some guy drop the Zippo lighter on poured fuel on the ground etc..

Gas station will not explode if you shoot the distributor and even if you crash a car in the distributor the worse that will happen it will get set on fire with no explosion.

Gas stations and distributor are build to not explode and the exploding part of the gas station, which is fuel tanks, are deep underground covered by concrete and thick metal tanks. It is not possible to make gas station exploded in real life.

How advanced/simple would you like the vehicle physics to be?

For me, it's quite important that vehicle physics and handling are believable.

That means you shouldn't be able to drive off road at any great speed without damaging your car or losing control. Off road is bumpy and it is slippery - if you put a wheel on the verge at the edge of a road while driving at speed, the physics should put you in trouble. You shouldn't be driving around at full tilt all of the time without danger, and the game should allow you to spin or roll the car if you're being reckless. Crashing should have serious consequences for the vehicle and anyone inside it.

Ideally, I'd like to see manual gear changing enforced for appropriate vehicles (ie. most of them) - it wouldn't be a difficult thing to implement into the game, and nor would it be particularly difficult for players to get used to. It would give a much better feeling of control and involvement, though, and allow you to regulate your speed more easily.

Ideally, I'd like to see manual gear changing enforced for appropriate vehicles (ie. most of them) - it wouldn't be a difficult thing to implement into the game, and nor would it be particularly difficult for players to get used to. It would give a much better feeling of control and involvement, though, and allow you to regulate your speed more easily.

I usually don't like manual control in games, but in something like DayZ, as you said, it would allow for greater control of speed while using a keyboard.

I'd like to see them work just like they do in that totally unrelated and not sharing any code whatsoever game ArmA 3

Though i'd love for there to be soft body physics or cars simply showing damage/dents, knowing the engines history it's HIGHLY unlikely you'll see anything we havent already(i.e. change in textures thats more scratched/has bullet holes)

But for other physics, pretty much everything katana67 said plus something i can't stress enough.

proper suspension physics and weight.

Though it improved slightly in Arma3, vehicles are still incredibly stiff and "fly" or float when you're going at high speed and get some air. In real life your car will come clanking down if it comes off the ground, but with the arma engine you gently glide down. it's really frustrating, especially when going off road. If they get that right + everything Katana67 said i'll be one happy camper. But at the very least i really want there to be proper suspension physics.