tootights (DayZ)

In a survival game with severely limited resources, WTF...

OP, I think you're into the wrong game if you want all that Karate and UFC style ****. There's Tekken, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, UFC, Marvel vs D.C., Robot Punching Games....xD

I wish i can perform a Ryu/Ken "Rising Dragon Fist" on a player while shouting "Shor~~~yuken" in mic and "KO! Flawless Victory" and loot his unconscious ass in da process.

• Like 2

The melee in DayZ reminds me of the old 2D Runescape combat lol

Combat.gif

• Like 3

Here's how I think Melee should work (minus the swords etc)

So the Dev team has the source code to the game and yet we still have this psuedo scripted horribly clunky melee system? Why? This actually covers all close combat, with guns too. It's so awkward it hurts, the zombies are so broken it hurts - there's no reason why this needs to be this way, stop adding can openers and weapon polishing kits and make the fundamentals of the game work please? The mod had an excuse, standalone does not.

It should not be 10x more awkward to do something in game than it is in real life - Least of all something as fundamental as melee.

It feels like you're in a fat suit trying to larp with two broken arms, fighting derpy zombies who clip through the floor and zerg at you. That it's easier to axe someone than shoot them in the face close up with a sawn off shotgun also says a lot about the current state of close fighting ingame...

Sort it out, we need to be going at it like this: 

If I can't yell like a  demon and do a 5 minute haka style wardance in front of my enemies before slicing at them with impunity then this game needs to sort its life out.

Edited by itputsthelotion

God, that video got me so pumped! I can't wait to be able to do that to someone in game while screaming on mic like an autistic kid who just missed this weeks Dr Who. season finally.

THIS is EXACTLY what I'm waiting for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW9Q1cm_Tnw?t=35s

"shh shhh shh hshh shhhhh"

Edited by TheMachine

God, that video got me so pumped! I can't wait to be able to do that to someone in game while screaming on mic like an autistic kid who just missed this weeks Dr Who. season finally.

THIS is EXACTLY what I'm waiting for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW9Q1cm_Tnw?t=35s

"shh shhh shh hshh shhhhh"

Not giraffes with poleaxes fighting each other in an ice rink. 

So the Dev team has the source code to the game and yet we still have this psuedo scripted horribly clunky melee system? Why? This actually covers all close combat, with guns too. It's so awkward it hurts, the zombies are so broken it hurts - there's no reason why this needs to be this way, stop adding can openers and weapon polishing kits and make the fundamentals of the game work please? The mod had an excuse, standalone does not.

It should not be 10x more awkward to do something in game than it is in real life - Least of all something as fundamental as melee.

It feels like you're in a fat suit trying to larp with two broken arms, fighting derpy zombies who clip through the floor and zerg at you. That it's easier to axe someone than shoot them in the face close up with a sawn off shotgun also says a lot about the current state of close fighting ingame...

Sort it out, we need to be going at it like this:

If I can't yell like a demon and do a 5 minute haka style wardance in front of my enemies before slicing at them with impunity then this game needs to sort its life out.

Prepared to be lambasted and told you know nothing about programming and that this all completely normal for an alpha.

• Like 2

Thanks for your enlightening input to the subject of this thread. 

Doom had better melee combat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI4w8ghvuSs

Edited by itputsthelotion
  • Like 3

The melee in DayZ reminds me of the old 2D Runescape combat lol

Combat.gif

Exactly by point. Imagine how much the game would improve if melee combat were actually something to FEAR?

Yes op this is what we need, now we can add martial artist to the list of skills our characters have  :lol:

why not?

Q: In a survival game with severely limited resources, WTF is the melee ability so very , very, very VERY VERY VERY poor?

A: α

[W]hy [T]he [F]uck

if you're not smart enough to extrapolate that... Or else your post was in some other way valuable? 

KArXi52.png

I think bicycles should be on the same priority as improving melee combat: High. I think cars etc should be a lower priority, but still higher than more types of canned food.

Yes op this is what we need, now we can add martial artist to the list of skills our characters have  :lol:

If you fight in real life how these characters fight in-game, you might be a pansy.

If you fight in real life how these characters fight in-game, you might be a pansy.

I think the fundamental flaw with the "its not like IRL" argument is that EVERYTHING tons and tons of stuff about gaming is contrary to IRL. YOLO, for instance.

But with this game, I like that I have the ability to dimension door into multiple other parallel worlds on this game (servers), but I think one thing we need to think about is how much like IRL we want melee to be like.

It could very well be that, in this world, everyone fights like pansies. At least, that's the way it is now. :) I vote to change it, and since the devs are gods maybe we can sway them.

Edited by tootights

[W]hy [T]he [F]uck

if you're not smart enough to extrapolate that... Or else your post was in some other way valuable? 

I don't even know why you quoted me or what you're trying to imply, I answered his question with the letter α (alpha), that was my answer to his question. Now it seems YOU are not smart enough to understand that.

I don't even know why you quoted me or what you're trying to imply, I answered his question with the letter α (alpha), that was my answer to his question. Now it seems YOU are not smart enough to understand that.

so you think that my question doesn't factor that this is alpha? Would you rather I'd asked "In an [alpha] survival game..." ? Seems kinda silly, but lets go down this road. I'm interested.

I doubt we can get fluid animations like this with the current engine system.

You people neglect to understand that ArmA and DayZ, and unlike normal games, don't use a different body rig for first person. So everything you see happening in first person is happening in third, and vice versa. In my opinion, this system is far superior. But my opinion doesn't matter, and the vast majority of new players has come from games that use the rig system and don't appreciate it...

I pray they don't rework it. It's good as it is. Melee will improve along the path of development, but it must meet it's logical conclusion. i doubt we'll see features akin of that to a dedicated MMA game.

• Like 2

why not?

Don't get me wrong, I've done a few different martial arts but I doubt the engine can handle it for one and simply because how many people would really use it? You would for 10 mins until you find a weapon and then probably wouldn't until you died and respawned again. Seems like a waste of time to make this big of a change for something that would rarely be used.

Don't get me wrong, I've done a few different martial arts but I doubt the engine can handle it for one and simply because how many people would really use it? You would for 10 mins until you find a weapon and then probably wouldn't until you died and respawned again. Seems like a waste of time to make this big of a change for something that would rarely be used.

I never said that is what I wanted. My point was only that the melee combat should be more than it is now, and someone said that the current system is a placeholder. So, that's fine. I just hope that when it's improved that it doesn't completely suck. I really hope that interacting with environmental objects allows for weapon creation. Nothing's more low tech as a rock,

would it be a great story if you hid the in bushes and threw a rock, knocking someone out. They wake up to....(????)

What if they reduce ammo and increase zombies???? At the moment this game is all about finding pristine M4 and attachables for it.

I think a lot of players would stop playing this game if it was turned into a proper post apocalyptic scenario? Best example the movie "the road", a guy with 3 bullets and a shitty gun. But I hardly doubt a game based on an army simulator will ever make guns and ammo rare.

I do think in such a scenario melee weapons should and would be main the weapons used. You definitely wouldn't waste ammo on 1-2 zombies. So like the OP says fists and melee weapons need improving a lot and hopefully they will

What if they reduce ammo and increase zombies???? At the moment this game is all about finding pristine M4 and attachables for it.

I think a lot of players would stop playing this game if it was turned into a proper post apocalyptic scenario? Best example the movie "the road", a guy with 3 bullets and a shitty gun. But I hardly doubt a game based on an army simulator will ever make guns and ammo rare.

I do think in such a scenario melee weapons should and would be main the weapons used. You definitely wouldn't waste ammo on 1-2 zombies. So like the OP says fists and melee weapons need improving a lot and hopefully they will

I think there should be a lot more zombies, for sure. They should roam around in small or large groups and be something we can go after.

Not much to do now other than gear up to get in a gun fight, wash rinse repeat.

Edited by tootights

S + melee attack = upper cut (up swing or stabbing motion with piercing weapons)

W + melee attack = overhand right (down slash/overhead swing with weapon)

A + melee attack = Left hook (swing from left to right)

D + melee attack = Right hook (swing from right to left)

no modifier + melee attack = short jab (fast slash, or short poke)

S W A D + Right mouse with melee weapon = block in given direction. Some weapons block better than others.. (fireaxe = good block.. Knife = bad block)

Combine this with the ability to charge your attacks for more powerful swings, by holding mouse button and releasing.

Provides for a versatile and skill based system that can by applied to all the melee weapons in the game for a variety of different kinds of attacks and pros/cons to carrying different weapons... For example, a Firemans axe would function like a pole-axe (that's essentially what it is).. Very heavy, slow, but devastating blows that can 1 shot people.. A knife however very fast attacks and deadly if it hits vital spots on a target. 

• Like 3