tootights (DayZ)

In a survival game with severely limited resources, WTF...

... is the melee ability so very , very, very VERY VERY VERY poor?

I'd think that this would be one of the first things developed, because it's an ability EVERYONE can use, no matter what loot is found. Putting up your dukes like a fucking retard?

How about taking a uncommitted posture, waiting for the attacker's incursion, then responding with a  tai sabaki , a simultaneous  block/hold, sliding groin strike, trip, 5 strike ground combination, followed by a face stomp? I'm just saying that the current state of things leaves MUCH to be desired in the most basic physical defenses.

If a person could defend themselves in game more closely with IRL, that'd be great. Anything other than being limited to fighting like a mentally retarded kangaroo.

• Like 3

Come back in a year MAYBE youll see a change in that area - certainly not any time soon

• Like 5

I think they should remove all melee combat in its current form, and just replace it with the ability to head-butt. It'd be less ridiculous than it is now, and the clunkiness would feel more authentic.

• Like 7

I think they should remove all melee combat in its current form, and just replace it with the ability to head-butt. It'd be less ridiculous than it is now, and the clunkiness would feel more authentic.

Hahaha, I would LOVE to see this.

I was talking to a buddy of mine a couple weeks ago and he mentioned being able to grapple someone for their weapon. I wouldn't mind something like this. Give a bambi the ability to lunge and grapple.

Then a gunshot.

And only one person emerges unscathed . . . 

It's funny how people still forget to realize this game was born off of a clunky military strategy simulator. Advanced melee was never possible in the series at all. In OFP and ArmA years back I saw a few melee combat mods but it was all just scripted animations where you never did anything. Just click the action and watch it go. If you want some real melee combat go play something else because it'll be a very, very long time before any of that is possible.

• Like 4

I was talking to a buddy of mine a couple weeks ago and he mentioned being able to grapple someone for their weapon. I wouldn't mind something like this. Give a bambi the ability to lunge and grapple.

Then a gunshot.

Grappling combined with unlimited running as it is now would be..

• Like 1

Yes op this is what we need, now we can add martial artist to the list of skills our characters have  :lol:

• Like 4

He has a point about the god awful akward and uncreative movements and controls of melee. Hopefully, this will be improved.

It is so frustrating that Dayz is the most exciting game concept to me but still has the worst controls. Its like finding 100 pounds of gold but finding out its radioactive to the point of being worthless. Im not saying Dayz is too but I feel so frustrated about it because I love the game concept and wish Bohemia success.

• Like 1

... is the melee ability so very , very, very VERY VERY VERY poor?

I'd think that this would be one of the first things developed, because it's an ability EVERYONE can use, no matter what loot is found. Putting up your dukes like a fucking retard?

How about taking a uncommitted posture, waiting for the attacker's incursion, then responding with a  tai sabaki , a simultaneous  block/hold, sliding groin strike, trip, 5 strike ground combination, followed by a face stomp? I'm just saying that the current state of things leaves MUCH to be desired in the most basic physical defenses.

If a person could defend themselves in game more closely with IRL, that'd be great. Anything other than being limited to fighting like a mentally retarded kangaroo.

Never fear, the melee combat system is just a placeholder for the future. Also, ranged attacks are also placeholders for future iterations of the game.  :)

• Like 1

Thanks for showing us how cool you are, OP.  Tai sabaki... Fuck, I can't even spell that.

There must be some MMA forum you could fit in on...

• Like 2

..//..

waiting for the attacker's incursion, then responding with a  tai sabaki

..//.

Anything other than being limited to fighting like a mentally retarded kangaroo.

"a tai sabaki"

- it' a kind of sushi

... right ?

"followed by a face stomp"

- ok, I know that, that's the mentally retarded kangaroo

... right ?

do you know Machu Such'i Qhuchi ?

• Like 1

The OP enjoys a good sliding groin strike...

Melee is in the game as a way to take care of Zed. So it's function just needs to satisfy that purpose.

It's clunky now and basic left or right options, plus block will to what is needed.

Q: In a survival game with severely limited resources, WTF is the melee ability so very , very, very VERY VERY VERY poor?

A: α

Never fear, the melee combat system is just a placeholder for the future. Also, ranged attacks are also placeholders for future iterations of the game.  :)

"Alpher placeholder" as Rocket would say.

Sound like someone has been playing too much Mortal Combat! xD

Edited by MadWookie

Even when the alpha veil is lifted I doubt were going to see anything like martial arts melee....

Just saying.

• Like 1

Would it be nice if this game could have the best parts of every game going sure is it possible or going to happen NO. Come on you cant expect a game to have controls of a dedicated fight game like a UFC game not when it is already dealing heavily with firearms physics will be modeling heli flight accurately ( it is built on the take on helicopters version of the RV engine) has to deal with respawning zeds loot across a 225km map it just aint going to happen.

At most i might expect them to put some sort of block in the game maybe a push and if extremely lucky a ready stance that lowers damage taken from hand to hand due to being ready for it.Anything else would be a bonus but hey guys if you think you can program the best parts of several genre of games into 1 game on a RV engine put ya hands up i am sure BIS will hire you...

Then a gunshot.

Was playing at 2am the other night, respawned in Berry and found a baseball bat.  This chick in a pink jumper was running over the place nice and glitchy and started cutting me up with a scythe.  The few times my swing connected, i got a gunshot richochet sound, and saw a flash on her scythe. 

Bitch was parrying my blows!!!

in rock paper scissors, scythe > baseball bat.

Just more proof that Gommunist Rassia has the one up on the capitalist paradigm.

I personally think adding in different forms of melee attacking (kicking, grappling etc) would be a good addition but there is a line to what you should be able to do for a specific reason, yes it may be realistic but it also makes melee, only one way to knock someone unconscious or kill them, extremely difficult for what the actual purpose is.

If you wanted to add in all those suggesed melee moves, it would require multiple combination of keys, etc, might as well go play Mortal Kombat, I came here for a (semi)realistic survival Zombie apocalypse game, not one where I need to press 4 buttons right in order to tackle someone and put them in an arm bar.

OP, I think you're into the wrong game if you want all that Karate and UFC style ****. There's Tekken, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, UFC, Marvel vs D.C., Robot Punching Games....xD

Watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme

Edited by flimsypremise

I played "The Last of Us" recently and of course if you compare the melee animations to dayz, dayz is pitiful. But dayz is a multiplayer game and implementing such fine animationwork and balancing it for multiplayer is a huge task. Esp in a game that is all about guns. But I'd really like to sneak up to someone from behind him and chocke him instead of trying to punch his head from behind, glitch away from the huge invisible collisionbox of his backpack, miss a strike that wouldn't otherwise be missed...

"that's why you always punch from the side, ye fewl!"

yea but he might see me then! dilemma!

Or reduce the ridicolous huge colissionboxes!

Edited by Khanarac

Or reduce the ridicolous huge colissionboxes!

If you fixed the hitboxes, along with the lag and desync that happen during melee, that would solve most of the big issues. Maybe adding a block or tackle type move would add a bit of complexity, but I just want to see if they can ever truly solve the lag and desync.

Would it be nice if this game could have the best parts of every game going sure is it possible or going to happen NO. Come on you cant expect a game to have controls of a dedicated fight game like a UFC game not when it is already dealing heavily with firearms physics will be modeling heli flight accurately ( it is built on the take on helicopters version of the RV engine) has to deal with respawning zeds loot across a 225km map it just aint going to happen.

At most i might expect them to put some sort of block in the game maybe a push and if extremely lucky a ready stance that lowers damage taken from hand to hand due to being ready for it.Anything else would be a bonus but hey guys if you think you can program the best parts of several genre of games into 1 game on a RV engine put ya hands up i am sure BIS will hire you...

I think a parry movement would be a great idea, and it might be technically possible in the game.

Even when the alpha veil is lifted I doubt were going to see anything like martial arts melee....

Just saying.

Yeah, I know. It's not that I'm saying the game should have MMA style fighting. I'm just saying between where it is now, and full mortal combat game play it has to fall somewhere in the middle and that's not what we have. we have an extremely limited and insufficient melee system.