Sign in to follow this  
d.walker43

3 things that would change dayz for the better

Hi guys, I have some ideas that im wondering what others opinions are but I think would change dayz for the better.

1: MORE ZOMBIES!  right now they are rarer then guns, this needs to be changed. Right now the KOS in this game is so bad because people get bored and want to kill something. If there were more zombies, im talking like 10x more, people would team up and fight hordes of zombies, not just kill each other. I understand its not that easy and lots of server optimizations would need to be done, but this should be one of the first priorities right now. After the current zombies are fixed, they need to multiply their number by a ton.

2: radios. They already have walkie talkies, but if they included radios as well when someone talked through a walkie talkie on the same channel as a some-what close radio, that persons voice would be able to be heard somewhat loudly through the radio, so you could set one up at your friends home camp and go out on looting missions and be able to report back your findings to everyone back at camp. You could also program them to play music or something, in order to lure someone closer or simply to add some tunes to the house your in! They could be built into cars as well. I understand this one would take a decent amount of work, so this shouldn't be a main priority but would be nice to be added later on, after big things like vehicles and base-building are already done.

3:GPS. They had this in the mod, and I think it should be brought into the standalone as well. Have it able to be found as somewhat uncommon loot, about as rare as a compass or fish hook. It would just be like a map, except it would show your location on the map so it would be more useful then just a map or compass. These could also be programmed into cars, most newer cars today irl have them built in. This wouldn't be terribly hard to add, as I don't see why they couldn't just take the mod version of it and copy and paste it into standalone with some changes, I know its not that simple but its easier then starting from scratch.

Anyway, heres my ideas. Post what you think, no hate messages or anything completely stupid. Use common sense. Thanks, and please tell me what you think!

The title for this thread should be "3 things that are in or will be in DayZ".

More zombies is already planned to be in the game. Walkie Talkies can already be used to communicate, and with a little imagination, they can play music. As for GPS, I'm not sure if its confirmed that it will be in, but I'm sure it will.

• Like 1

The title for this thread should be "3 things that are in or will be in DayZ".

More zombies is already planned to be in the game. Walkie Talkies can already be used to communicate, and with a little imagination, they can play music. As for GPS, I'm not sure if its confirmed that it will be in, but I'm sure it will.

That's good to hear that more zombies are planned. With walkie talkies, you can only talk to a certain person. If a radio is tuned to the same channel, it will broadcast the voice throughout the whole room for everyone in the room or even house to hear, once base building is completed it will be very useful so every player wouldn't need a walkie talkie. And just because you think the GPS will be added doesn't mean its already planned. Thanks for the info about zombies though, that's good news.

Yep, pretty much all being worked on or on the way.

And they want to do exactly that with walkietalkies, you can turn it on, turn the volume up and place it on the ground.  It will not only broadcast everything on that channel in the area, but if you set it to constantly transmit, you'll be able to hear everything going on in that area on your walkie as well.  So you can use it to set up traps for players or to say monitor your campsite.

*EDIT*

There will also be internet radio stations that we can pick up on the ingame radios, but that's not for a bit.  Maybe not till late beta or even release.  But we never know when there'll be delays or breakthroughs.

Edited by BigMike

Yep, pretty much all being worked on or on the way.

And they want to do exactly that with walkietalkies, you can turn it on, turn the volume up and place it on the ground.  It will not only broadcast everything on that channel in the area, but if you set it to constantly transmit, you'll be able to hear everything going on in that area on your walkie as well.  So you can use it to set up traps for players or to say monitor your campsite.

*EDIT*

There will also be internet radio stations that we can pick up on the ingame radios, but that's not for a bit.  Maybe not till late beta or even release.  But we never know when there'll be delays or breakthroughs.

That's good to hear too. However, even turning a walkie talkie all the way up isn't very loud. I think the walkie talkie shouldn't be able to receive radio stations. That doesn't work irl, so thats why I suggest that radios would be able to receive voice or music or whatever else and broadcast it loudly. The walkie talkie should only be used for talking/listening to 1 other person, while the radio should be able to broadcast any sounds to the whole room or house or area. The only association  between them being that a person with a walkie would be able to be heard out of a radio, but NOT vice versa.

EDIT: the walkie talkie could be used with multiple people, but each person would need their own walkie, but with a radio you would only need 1 in the room for everyone to hear, they just couldn't talk back.

Edited by d.walker43

Why would a radio be louder than a walkie talkie? What sort of radio are you talking about exactly?

Why would a radio be louder than a walkie talkie? What sort of radio are you talking about exactly?

Just a normal battery operated portable radio, they actually have them sitting in lots of the ordinary houses in dayz right now they just don't do anything. Have you ever turned a walkie talkie all the way up, vs. turning a radio all the way up? turning up a walkie talkie loudly is like playing music through a phone for a group of people without a speaker plugged in. If everybody is silent and all huddle around the phone, you can hear it. Plug in the speaker, and everyone can hear it loud and clear even from a different room. The walkie talkie all the way up is like the phone itself, the radio all the way up is like if it has a speaker plugged in. its signifigantly louder. Hopefully I cleared things up, sorry about the confusion.

Well now that that is sorted out. Walkie talkies and music radios don't operate on the same frequencies and one would have to be modified for what you are suggesting to work.

Well now that that is sorted out. Walkie talkies and music radios don't operate on the same frequencies and one would have to be modified for what you are suggesting to work.

Well, I went and did some research and didn't really prove either of us right or wrong. Some people said its possible, some said its not. I know dayz attempts to be as realistic as possible, but they do bend the rules on certain things. I think this could be an exception, because as I said I didn't find any solid proof of it being impossible either. If you have an idea on how to make this work and it be 100% possible irl, please let me know so I can edit the OP to make it more realistic. Thanks, as I was not for sure if this was possible or not, im still not sure but whatever lol :P .

I think the walkie talkie shouldn't be able to receive radio stations. That doesn't work irl, so thats why I suggest that radios would be able to receive voice or music or whatever else and broadcast it loudly.

It does too, the walkies we use at my workplace has the National Weather Service programmed onto one of the very last channel.  While you might not be able to get a walkie as loud as say a boombox, they aren't exactly soft.

It does too, the walkies we use at my workplace has the National Weather Service programmed onto one of the very last channel.  While you might not be able to get a walkie as loud as say a boombox, they aren't exactly soft.

Well that's interesting, ive gotta be honest and say ive never heard of or seen that before. I'll take your word for it though. However, the average walkie talkie doesn't do that, your workplace probably specially programmed them or somehow bought them specially programed, which is possible. I still think it would be impractical for several people in a room to all be huddled around the same walkie. Maybe instead of a radio have a external speaker that can be used with the walkie talkie to turn it into a radio of sorts? If this speaker was plugged in, make it so the walkie talkie could be loud enough to hear throughout a whole building, or maybe even louder?

idk, I just think we need something that can be placed stationary while your character goes elsewhere and can talk through the stationary device, whether that be a radio or speaker or whatever. As I stated somewhere else, this would be perfect for clans and such as then every single person wouldn't need a walkie talkie.

Sad to say, but when it comes to clans, they're going to use teamspeak/skype/vent some other VIOP rather than an unsecure comms system that anyone with a radio can listen in on.  And you're right, most walkie talkies can only use programmed channels rather than frequencies, but the ones we have in the game have a frequency rather than a channel, so they're already more like actual radios.

Communications and Music are normally on very different ranges of frequencies.  IE I can't take my clock radio and listen in on HPD's dispatch channel like a police scanner (though sometimes it did get overpowered by CB radios when they got within 50 feet of my house going up/down the road), of course the FCC or your local equivilant isn't around anymore so we get survivors setting up radio stations ALA Fallout 3.

I would imagine that since the current radios we have are labeled 'Walkie Talkies' this leaves room for actual radios (As in a transmitter/receiver) and 'music' radios (receiver only) as you wish.  It'll probably happen, but it's a lower priority at the moment since there's no persistent storage or bases and someone would have to schelp around a radio for the clan to use.

Sad to say, but when it comes to clans, they're going to use teamspeak/skype/vent some other VIOP rather than an unsecure comms system that anyone with a radio can listen in on.  And you're right, most walkie talkies can only use programmed channels rather than frequencies, but the ones we have in the game have a frequency rather than a channel, so they're already more like actual radios.

Communications and Music are normally on very different ranges of frequencies.  IE I can't take my clock radio and listen in on HPD's dispatch channel like a police scanner (though sometimes it did get overpowered by CB radios when they got within 50 feet of my house going up/down the road), of course the FCC or your local equivilant isn't around anymore so we get survivors setting up radio stations ALA Fallout 3.

I would imagine that since the current radios we have are labeled 'Walkie Talkies' this leaves room for actual radios (As in a transmitter/receiver) and 'music' radios (receiver only) as you wish.  It'll probably happen, but it's a lower priority at the moment since there's no persistent storage or bases and someone would have to schelp around a radio for the clan to use.

yea, I was thinking all along that radios would be one of the last things on the list, as everyone, including me, will want vehicles and base building before radios, I simply thought it would be a cool idea after the big things are implemented. I have to disagree with what you said about people just using Skype/teamspeak instead of normal in-game radios. Sure, the try-hard bandits would, but people just playing to have fun would probably use the in-game stuff because it's more realistic, and people would want to try it out and try setting up a radio station like you said. Once I got looted up it would be fun to go back to my groups camp and attempt to role-play as 3-dog broadcasting Galaxy News Radio to Chernaraus.

"This is 3-dog, owww! and your listening to Galaxy News Radio!"

lol. anyway, thanks for the good discussion, hope this ends up in the game at some point.

Watermelon (or some variation of melon) : Just like a Zucchini in every way but its a watermelon.

More wearable containers: There should be more backpacks but there should be things like handbags, satchels, etc.

Another sniper: A traditional hunters sniper like a CZ .308, a wooden one.

Edited by Bacon Pancakes

i agree with more zombies, but, in certain areas only, hope they make a map with buildings, imagine surviving a maze you never know  theres a zombie or bandits in every turn

Zombies are quite persisting now a days. For the first time in months, I got killed in the forest by a zombie!

This is all going to happen ! Of course more zombies are coming its just taking way to damn long ! I thought you might have some better zombie numbers by now but obviously not.

I'm just going to try to study waiting for this game to actually turn into a ....game ^_^

This whole radio thing can be solved with the simple input of a HAM radio, they were popular back in the day and still are for some areas. We have a forest station near my home town that uses this to contact other stations in the area, think of a Scanner and a CB put into one with some more juice. Its something that could be added easily I'm sure and wouldn't break reality for this game because well it is real =P

Here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio

The wiki site kinda explains things better then i could lol

Everyone said that adding more zombies will make people team up and fight them but it just won't. They will go on here and complain about them like people are already doing now, I don't mind there being a lot of zombies but not now as they are still so broke