Sign in to follow this  
tod_der_luge

Decent System for Melee battles

I know this is by no means dire. With that said, its always been my dream to have like medieval swords/axes/maces maybe even shields in dayz. Recently, on steam, they had a free weekend for the game "Mount & Blade: Warband". This game has a wonderful melee system, and almost feels like arma while playing it(the movement).

For example, you swing your mouse left, then right, to swing the sword at the left hand side of your target, and vice versa. You swing your mouse up then down to overhead. You can charge your swing but hold down left click. It is hard to parry when charged. When fighting 1v1 you can parry with some skill though. How cool would it be. Meleeing each other as fresh spawns with axes gives you a chance to survive, rather than both be highly damaged or dead. Just a thought.

Edited by tod_der_luge

I would absolutely love to see an improved melee system.  I would also like to see some form of grappling/martial arts system... but I also believe these are all pipe dreams.

• Like 1

Would like to see

- Shove/kick - push zeds/players back a short distance

- Block

- small chance of hacking weapons (axe, machete) or stabbing weapons (eg pitch fork) getting stuck in enemy bodies.

• Like 1

#ChivalryMedievalWarfare

But Chivalry has a terrible melee system compared to M&B.

Hah, I love the melee system in M&B: Warband except for the lack of a stamina bar and the unrealistic fast swinging of heavy weapons which caused me to quit. Dudes in all-metal armour jumping up and down? Sure.

Anyhow, it would be waaaay too hardcore for many. A system like M&B takes a lot of training and you are not going to get that if you get shot in the face all the time so no, they should keep it simple unless they plan on taking out all the guns and/or create a melee training server. In which case you'd kind of defeat the point behind DayZ and might as well start playing M&B:W cRPG.

But Chivalry has a terrible melee system compared to M&B.

I liked Chivalry much much more than M&B.

Maybe because it didn't take itself so seriously. M&B feels like fucking Medieval CoD.

I liked Chivalry much much more than M&B.

Maybe because it didn't take itself so seriously. M&B feels like fucking Medieval CoD.

I don't understand how M&B could possibly be a Medieval CoD. Maybe War of the Roses could be, but that one was still enjoyable.

The melee combat in Mount and Blade is either on normal mode, or retard mode with automatic blocking.

If someone attacks from your left, you need to move your mouse to the left while pressing block. If they attack from the right you need to do the same. Above, below, same thing.

Chivalry has a stamina bar that tells you that your block won't work because you left clicked too much. It is also simplified by having no attacking directions. Maybe you tried M&B and didn't understand how the blocking system worked and called it a shit game out of frustration.